• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

onesvenus

AMD adopts Cerny’s ideas.
No, it does not. There's no shared patent between AMD and Sony and never has been. Only wet dreams of fanboys who need to invent things with no proof whatsoever to feel better about their purchasing decisions.

What exists are in fact multiple interviews by Cerny himself saying that he basically takes a look at the future AMD roadmap and gets things from there. That's why some things appear first on PS platforms and then on AMDs GPUs. That happening is not any proof of what you claim.

Shmunter

No, it does not. There's no shared patent between AMD and Sony and never has been. Only wet dreams of fanboys who need to invent things with no proof whatsoever to feel better about their purchasing decisions.

What exists are in fact multiple interviews by Cerny himself saying that he basically takes a look at the future AMD roadmap and gets things from there. That's why some things appear first on PS platforms and then on AMDs GPUs. That happening is not any proof of what you claim.
Because AMD wouldn’t leverage on the expert knowledge of game makers for the roadmap to their gaming gfx cards?!?! 🤔

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

Lol no

It's a collaborative approach. It's true that Sony and Microsoft have access to AMD's future roadmap. It's not as simple as Sony take such and such feature and plug it into their console, it goes both ways, if AMD like something Sony has invented/customised they'll implement it into their roadmap if they feel it'll benefit their product and likewise Sony will do the same with their console.

And yes there is plenty of examples of Mark Cerny influencing AMD's roadmap, a good example is the high number of ACEs and compute cues in the PS4's GPU as well as volotile bit (Cerny's customisations) later influencing AMD's GCN architecture. Here's some quotes from Mark Cerny via Eurogamer on this:

"A few AMD roadmap features are appearing for the first time in PS4 Pro," Cerny continues, giving a broad overview of how the semi-custom relationship functions.

"How it works is that we sit down with AMD, who are terribly collaborative. It's a real pleasure to work with them. So basically, we go ahead and say how many CUs we want to have and we look at the roadmap features and we look at area and we make some decisions and we even - in this case - have the opportunity, from time to time, to have a feature in our chip before it's in a discrete GPU. We have two of these this time, which is very nice."

And that work feeds back into the Radeon discrete products too, useful in maintaining consistency between PC and console games development. Asynchronous compute, for example, has had a huge benefit for AMD on PC DX12 applications, specifically because of the additional hardware scheduling pipelines championed by Mark Cerny in the PS4 design.

"We can have custom features and they can eventually end up on the [AMD] roadmap," Cerny says proudly. "So the ACEs... I was very passionate about asynchronous compute, so we did a lot of work there for the original PlayStation 4 and that ended up getting incorporated into subsequent AMD GPUs,
which is nice because the PC development community gets very familiar with those techniques. It can help us when the parts of GPUs that we are passionate about are used in the PC space."

In actual fact, two new AMD roadmap features debut in the Pro, ahead of their release in upcoming Radeon PC products - presumably the Vega GPUs due either late this year or early next year.

This collaboration hasn't stopped with PS5 but that's another conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awhile back you insinuated that if you like capcom and konami games that youd have to pick a certain side (Or something along those lines...) With rumors of silent hill being rebooted for ps5 you seem somewhat vindicated. With that said, heard any updates about this? Thanks!

The guy is a fraud. No point asking him any questions you expect honest answers to.

THEAP99

Banned
I'm about to cry.

God fucking dammit :messenger_downcast_sweat: I think my ps5 may be defective.

I haven't had a single crash or any issue at all like that, but rather the console itself is not quiet like the reviewers claim.

I've seen people claim it's coil whine or whatever.. but mine has varying degrees to it.

Check it out. It's like when I pause the game on astro Playroom the coil whine changes pitches. Same if I un-pause it. In fact, whenever I move the camera around it even seems as if there's varying degrees of the whine.

Is this even coil whine? I saw people say it's normal but I'm afraid it's defective because the pitch of the whine will change based on what I'm doing.. :(

It's like I'll close the game and the level of it will change. This happens in Spider-man as well. In fuck I think notice now that Spiderman makes my fans go a lot more now. With my headphones on I of course don't hear it.. but come on this can't be normal. I can't imagine how my roommate will handle this if he can hear. This will be fucking humiliation

What do I do?

It's like my ps5's coil whine will change pitch based on what's going on my screen. This reviewers were bullshit ? Do I return?

THEAP99

Banned
Seems I'm not alone in this. Same exact issue basically:

"So I start up God of War, and I hear an uptick in the pitch and sound level. Still not bad but a slight difference. So I decide to give it an actual PS5 game to test, which was Astro’s Playroom. As soon as I got to the part where you swipe the touchpad to shoot Astro out, the system buzzing got loud. I could hear a constant “bzzzzzzzzzzz” coming from the PS5. It sounded just like Pro coil whine, only louder. I went to the Home Screen and the noise immediately stopped. Back to the game and it was buzzing again."

Is this really something that can be fixed with patches? Like holy hell I'd rather have fan noise over this. When I go back to college at the end of January it's gonna be tough with my roommate if this problem continues

Razzy-

Is that even possible?

I know they did say they can make updates to the fan over time or something.

Here's another example

Sounds like coil whine.
Yea it is possible. Worked on laptops before and fixed it via firmware update. (Changed fan speed curve/gradient,etc)

Bear with it for now.

FYI, Coil whine is not classified as a fan/hardware issue so hardware exchange is not an option. "lollipop_disappointed:"lollipop_disappointed:

sinnergy

Sounds like coil whine.
Yea it is possible. Worked on laptops before and fixed it via firmware update. (Changed fan speed curve/gradient,etc)

Bear with it for now.

FYI, Coil whine is not classified as a fan/hardware issue so hardware exchange is not an option. "lollipop_disappointed:"lollipop_disappointed:
Now we know why the fans can be updated ..

I wondered when we would see this use-case .. never imagined it would be this fast . I imagined it would take some years when the system would be graphically challenged.

onesvenus

Because AMD wouldn’t leverage on the expert knowledge of game makers for the roadmap to their gaming gfx cards?!?! 🤔
Lol no
It's a collaborative approach. It's true that Sony and Microsoft have access to AMD's future roadmap. It's not as simple as Sony take such and such feature and plug it into my console, it goes both ways, if AMD like something Sony has invented/customised they'll implement it into their roadmap if they feel it'll benefit their product and likewise Sony will do the same with their console.
I stand corrected, didn't know about the ACEs

THEAP99

Banned
Sounds like coil whine.

Bear with it for now.

Yeah it seems some people even have that change in frequency sound as well in regards in the coil whine.

I shit you not, this past weekend it was a lot quieter. But tonight it's a lot more noticeable. Doesn't it change overtime? Let's hope my becomes more silent.. it's not even like this is a major issue for me cus I wear headphones, but rather when someone else comes into my room and isn't wearing headphones.. that's embarrassing and that to them sounds like a broken system or some shit.

I think my best bet would be as you said just sticking with it because things can change over time with updates from sony hopefully (plenty of articles have been written about this coil whine) issue so let's hope they do that or simply hope that the issue solves itself and becomes quieter again, not louder.

Worst case scenario, I'll maybe just sell this one off at some point and spend some money to get a revision whenever they have one. But yeah I guess this isn't a hardware flaw or defect or anything just an annoyance.. ugh! I love this system so much but this sound has ought to go! It's the change in frequency that annoys!

bitbydeath

Gold Member
What is coil whine?
Is it the disc spinning in the drive or something else?

I’m on the digital edition so I wonder if it’s a disc based issue?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
what surprised us even more is that even with ray tracing enabled, the PS5 version of Observer: System Redux still performs better than its Xbox Series X counterpart. There are some parts of the apartment block where the Xbox Series X seriously struggles, ruining the immersion a little. It’s perhaps at its worst when you enter the basement.

PS5 vs XSX

Observer-System-Redux-PS5-3-1.jpg
Observer-System-Redux-XSX-3.jpg

4mooj1.jpg

cMonry

Neo Member
I've had coil whine on One S, One X and Pro. No firmware update ever adressed it. It's because they are using cheap components in consoles, most users don't pay attention while others, like me, are being completely distracted by this. When the reviews were up saying PS5 is so quiet I was so glad but these reports... Shit... There is nothing worse than hearing this buzzing sound during some quiet suspense moments of cutscenes. So unnerving. I wonder if I'll hit the coil jackpot again on Thursday.

Razzy-

I've had coil whine on One S, One X and Pro. No firmware update ever adressed it. It's because they are using cheap components in consoles, most users don't pay attention while others, like me, are being completely distracted by this. When the reviews were up saying PS5 is so quiet I was so glad but these reports... Shit... There is nothing worse than hearing this buzzing sound during some quiet suspense moments of cutscenes. So unnerving. I wonder if I'll hit the coil jackpot again on Thursday.
That really depends on the company addressing the issue, the sample size and/or severity of it. Cause data is crucial for it to be deemed priority in a firmware update rollout/plan

I am the same as you when it comes to getting a unit with coil whine. It can get annoying in the long run.

Yeah it seems some people even have that change in frequency sound as well in regards in the coil whine.

I shit you not, this past weekend it was a lot quieter. But tonight it's a lot more noticeable. Doesn't it change overtime? Let's hope my becomes more silent.. it's not even like this is a major issue for me cus I wear headphones, but rather when someone else comes into my room and isn't wearing headphones.. that's embarrassing and that to them sounds like a broken system or some shit.

I think my best bet would be as you said just sticking with it because things can change over time with updates from sony hopefully (plenty of articles have been written about this coil whine) issue so let's hope they do that or simply hope that the issue solves itself and becomes quieter again, not louder.

Worst case scenario, I'll maybe just sell this one off at some point and spend some money to get a revision whenever they have one. But yeah I guess this isn't a hardware flaw or defect or anything just an annoyance.. ugh! I love this system so much but this sound has ought to go! It's the change in frequency that annoys!
Does Sony Support have any presence in twitter? Best to tag them about your issue. They will have social media teams that will forward/tag this to support/engineering team when new issues pop up from new hardware.

what surprised us even more is that even with ray tracing enabled, the PS5 version of Observer: System Redux still performs better than its Xbox Series X counterpart. There are some parts of the apartment block where the Xbox Series X seriously struggles, ruining the immersion a little. It’s perhaps at its worst when you enter the basement.

PS5 vs XSX

Observer-System-Redux-PS5-3-1.jpg
Observer-System-Redux-XSX-3.jpg

4mooj1.jpg

tHe dEv kItS wErE lAtE!!1

Sw0pDiller

Are all these games running better on PS5 because of the the (rumoured) unified cpu $? It seems like all the scenes where series x struggles have some heavy cpu usage and it just cant keep up. the same reason 120fps modes on series x are failing.

How the tables have turned, typical American style: overpromise, under deliver. Why on earth do we not learn... they have been hyping up 5 e3's in a row only too fail to meet expectations every time. And even now with all the power talk we still thought they might deliver the goods.... never again...

That's why i think Microsoft will fail to deliver us good games with all the talk about buying Zenimax and new AAA studio's like the initiative. They fucked op RARA, Lionhead and no great AAA game came from their 1st party line up for the last 4-5 years (exept turn 10). 343 is a mess... There are no words, such a shame. I think many studio's will brake up because of Microsofts management stamp and new studio's will emerge from top guys leaving Bethesda and ID.

TheDude108

Interesting:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Breakpoint is native 4K on XSX compared to sub-4k on PS5:

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/...host-recon-breakpoint-nextgeneration-consoles

As soon as the tools mature the gap will be far bigger.

Looks like they've just taken the 1X and Pro versions and unlocked the frame rate in 'Performance Mode'? Wait and see performance results, if anyone cares enough to do them for this game. If the PS5 version performs better then who cares if its upscaled 4k?

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

Looks like they've just taken the 1X and Pro versions and unlocked the frame rate in 'Performance Mode'? Wait and see performance results, if anyone cares enough to do them for this game. If the PS5 version performs better then who cares if its upscaled 4k?
Maybe people with a 4k tv or monitor. Both run 30fps. Native always looks better.

The only reason it is just upscaled on PS5, is probably the use of the last gen settings as you say too.
In general, I am happy that these developers unlock their games for next gen. Because they wouldnt have to.

Now, where is the patch for Wreckfest?!

Last edited:

TheDude108

Maybe people with a 4k tv or monitor. Both run 30fps. Native always looks better.

Depending on the reconstruction technique and implementation the difference can be negligible. I'd much rather take a reconstructed 4K with locked frame rate than a native with dips.

I'm speculating that Ghost Recon will have dips of course. If its locked native 4K on XSX, thats great!

In your dreams...

haha how the goal posts move. Hilarious.
It’s just that the XSX is more powerful. Of course lazy and unoptimized ports may run a little bit better on PS5, but still this does not mean that the XSX is much more powerful.

Truthfact, with the nextgen patch applied:

Call of Duty Warzone will be 120FPS on XSX compared to 60 FPS on PS5

Star Wars Squadrons will be 120FPS on XSX compared to 60 FPS on PS5

Rocket League will be 120FPS on XSX compared to 60 FPS on PS5

There are just facts, no dreams or anything. Facts

Gudji

It’s just that the XSX is more powerful. Of course lazy and unoptimized ports may run a little bit better on PS5, but still this does not mean that the XSX is much more powerful.

You're going to have a very rough generation (again).

Rea

Plz stop, you're embarrassing yourself. I cringed everytime i see your posts such as this.

Stooky

Is that even possible?

I know they did say they can make updates to the fan over time or something.

Here's another example

With the tv volume up can you still here it? My p5s does that too but I have to turn the game volume down and put my ear next to it to hear it. Any volume from tv would drown it out.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You think they give a shit about someone who developed Knack? We can throw Don Mattrick here, who developed first Test Drive then too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom