• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jose4gg

Yep, based on his/her GitHub, it is a new person trying to learn how to code,

¿Latest project? A fork to welcome-to-github repository where he/she is going to make an engine 😂

iB8co7l.png

Mr Moose

Yep, based on his/her GitHub, it is a new person trying to learn how to code,

¿Latest project? A fork to welcome-to-github repository where he/she is going to make an engine 😂

iB8co7l.png
Yup, just some random dude on Twitter.

A little background on who I am - I am a college student who in their free time is also an independent game engine developer for Xbox Series X|S, Windows 10 and Nintendo Switch. I am currently working on two different open source engines both powered by DirectX 12 Ultimate (or NVN in the case of Switch). These engines aim to fill a couple of niches that I feel are open, including an engine architecture that replicates the HW architecture of old school bitmap based consoles as well as providing a GUI-less rendering engine for those who want to develop a game without the bloat of Unity/Unreal/etc....

A couple of things to note - Being a completely independent dev working on my engines in my free time, I am not officially affiliated with Microsoft/Xbox in any way. Nor do I currently have a devkit (my "devkits" are a DX12U capable PC, retail Xboxes with devmode enabled and a Switch capable of using fusee gelee), so if you have a question surrounding hardware, I can attempt to answer it using my knowledge of computers and officially released information, but please take it with plenty of salt as I could be wrong.

Jose92

[Membe

APU die size is about 308.2mm

TrippleA345

Ok, thats ~52mm smaller compared to XSX.

Last edited:

The APU has 16 CUs less than the Series X, yet it's 86% of the size. I need to see it.

THE:MILKMAN

Ok, thats ~52mm smaller compared to XSX.

It means it is under 15% smaller but the main difference on paper being ~35% less CU's (60 vs 40 on chip). The (one?) less MC and the possibly extra transistors for the I/O stuff will explain some of the difference, but all of it....?

Anyone want to have a crack at doing a breakdown of what each part of the APU is made up of and how much die space it all uses?

BGs

Industry Professional
if i remember correctly this was some kind of tease riddle gif for ps5 power like: when foot lands ps5 lands... something like this many were trying to make sense from this gif from what osiris was hinting or maybe it was you :messenger_grinning: or both of you i don't really remember.

some cryptic hint of tflop count on the ps5 if I can recall correctly my lurking days in this forum :)

funny times, wish I had made an account earlier to comment then

As my level of English does not allow me to understand the full meaning of the phrases or sarcasms, I can't quite understand whether it is a criticism of Osiris or not. If so, the author of that Gif was me, as well as I am the author of the allegory of the boxes and the delivery men (if someone has discrepancies in this regard, come and prove the opposite). If today someone has a problem with it or if in the future someone has something to recriminate on the subject, you can contact me directly and I will be happy to exchange opinions on tangible things. Osiris, in these concrete examples, has no responsibility.

If, on the other hand, I have misinterpreted the language, I beg your pardon.

Last edited:

JonkyDonk

It means it is under 15% smaller but the main difference on paper being ~35% less CU's (60 vs 40 on chip). The (one?) less MC and the possibly extra transistors for the I/O stuff will explain some of the difference, but all of it....?

Anyone want to have a crack at doing a breakdown of what each part of the APU is made up of and how much die space it all uses?
I think the I/O complex on PS5 is quite large and that is probably taking up a lot of space.

TrippleA345

They have 2 GDDR6 controllers less ~16 mm
16 cus less ~36 mm
The GDDR6 controllers on the PS5 may also be smaller, likely less fabric, and likely less hardware accelerators for multimedia

On the other hand more io

Overall 52 mm is either much cheaper for Sony or much more expensive for xbox. If multiplatform games on Xbox do not get better in the future then this is a problem for Xbox.

Last edited:
I planned on trying this game next. Glad to hear PS5 playing it well.
The game is one of those first person "walking simulator", if you're into that you will probably enjoy it. And even more if you like sci fi stuff and Blade Runner, add it some psychological themes with the fact that you can explore people's memories. Visually the game looks really good for a small studio and it seems it looks even better on next gen.
I'm just saying this to give you an idea of what to expect. Personally, I'd say this is the best Bloober Team's game to date.

MastaKiiLA

Just spitballing, but what if you forewent 5MB of GPI L2, and 8MB of CPU L3, and went with 16MB of L3 SRAM that acted as both L2 GPU and L3 CPU cache? Treat it as Infinity Cache, but was unified between both CPU and GPU? it gives the devs flexibility with using cache for either CPU or GPU ops, and lets them control whether they dedicate that unified cache to either end. Maybe even make it the working SRAM for the IO processer, since that uses a repurposed CU. You can decompress data directly to SRAM, bypassing DRAM (not sure how practical this really is), or with the scrubbers, control which data occupies the lion's share based on CPU/GPU-heavy ops. It would certainly allow you to distribute ray ops across all CUs, with minimal efficiency loss.

I'm not convinced that there is any configuration like this, but I'm intrigued by the possibilities. Smaller shader arrays allows for easier distribution of operations across multiple CUs. Disregard if impossible. I have no coding experience, just a systems engineering degree that lets me understand high-level workflows.

How did Insomniac Games go from middle of road developer to one of the best once they were bought by Sony? Here are their games prior to being bought by Sony in order followed by mediacritic.com rating:
- PS4 - Rachet and Clank (85)
-All Platforms - Song of the Deep (64)
- Windows - Edge of NoWhere (69), The Unspoken (only three ratings - approx 80), Feral Rites (only two ratings - approx 60)

Then they release Spiderman and it is a their best game since Sunset Overdrive. Did Sony throw a ton of money when they signed on to make SpiderMan? Is it because they can focus on a single platform? Does the Sony ICE Team really help out first party developers?

Their Playstation games have always been very high quality and I have read great things about Sunset Overdrive, but they seemed to lose their way after Sunset Overdrive. Now they are the flag bearers for Sony's newest console.

How did Insomniac Games go from middle of road developer to one of the best once they were bought by Sony? Here are their games prior to being bought by Sony in order followed by mediacritic.com rating:
- Windows - Edge of NoWhere (69), The Unspoken (only three ratings - approx 80), Feral Rites (only two ratings - approx 60)

Then they release Spiderman and it is a their best game since Sunset Overdrive. Did Sony throw a ton of money when they signed on to make SpiderMan? Is it because they can focus on a single platform? Does the Sony ICE Team really help out first party developers?

Their Playstation games have always been very high quality and I have read great things about Sunset Overdrive, but they seemed to lose their way after Sunset Overdrive. Now they are the flag bearers for Sony's newest console.
I think there are a lot of factors involved in that. Money, talent, time, freedom, support from the publisher, etc. They probably get that from Sony every time and that's why they agreed to be acquired.

THEAP99

Banned

Proper organic growth

JonkyDonk

I think there are a lot of factors involved in that. Money, talent, time, freedom, support from the publisher, etc. They probably get that from Sony every time and that's why they agreed to be acquired.
Yeh I think working within the current WWS setup they have all the resources they need to make their talent shine. They did great work back on the PS3 and that was on troublesome hardware and under a very different Sony management, but now they are not held back in any way and they can really show what they're made of.

Yoboman

Man I never even heard of any of these games, they went hard on some indie and mobile trash for a few years. Weird, bit like they were throwing crap at a wall hoping something would stick.

Seems they always had their main team making games like Resistance, Ratchet, Sunset Overdrive then Spiderman and some smaller teams on these side projects

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

$$$ and time.

Get ready for some hot takes. I did poor man's math after AMD's RDNA2 event and mapped out a potential PS5 SOC with 64MB of Infinity/L3 cache (7nm 6T SRAM) based on the big navi and XSX die shots. This PS5 chip is ~310mm2 with a bit of dead area:

75bpW6w.jpg

• Zen 2 core blocks (XSX based): ~24mm2
  • GPU Block(RDNA2 based): ~130mm2
  • GDDR6 Bus Blocks (XSX based): ~42mm2
  • Multimedia HW Accel (XSX based): 14.4mm2
  • IO Blocks (XSX based): 14.7mm2
  • 8MB L3 cache (XSX based, not in picture)): 18mm2
  • Total: 243mm2
That leaves ~65mm2 for larger IO blocks, Infinity cache (smaller per MB than Zen 2 L3, 32MB = 35-40mm2), etc. unless my math is way off.

On the theory that MS dev tools are significantly behind Sony's, according to Dirt 5's technical director in this interview 2 days ago, Xbox's SDK/GDK is not behind Sony's:

David Spingate said:
(Are MS dev tools a bit further behind than Sony's?) I mean I wouldn't say that. That depends on your experience....thinking about tools, everything is coming in a bit hot.

(I am hearing that GDK is basacilly in its infancy and there is a lot of stuff in on the table?)
It's in its infancy, because it's new, but it's not particurly lacking...

(Like barebones?) It's not barebones, they brought a lot, no, most of the tools over from of SDK in terms of familitary and how it works, in fact stability and speed improved a lot on GDK, but yeah, I am happy with it, if anything there is very little small things I would like, I have weekly meetings with XBOX and my account manager get a lot of feedback from me, I am actually very happy with it.

Timestamped:

This kinda debunks the claim that Series X is behind because the tools are behind Sony's....

DynamiteCop! DynamiteCop! what you saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom