• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking finally.

They said by the end of the week and teased out a Micrograph of the PS5 silicon model name:

kgNr8ij.jpg

THE:MILKMAN

They said by the end of the week and teased out a Micrograph of the PS5 silicon model name:

kgNr8ij.jpg

As expected.

PS4/Xbox One were dated 2012 for a late 2013 launch
PS4 Pro APU was dated 2015 for a late 2016 launch
Xbox One X was dated 2016 for a late 2017 launch
PS5 dated 2019 for late 2020 launch
XSX/XSS ????
Bonus: Zen 3 5600X dated 2019 for a late 2020 launch

My guess is both XSX/XSS will also be dated 2019 but really given Phil stating they waited for AMD tech it should be dated 2020 or that was just PR.

Last edited:

geordiemp

kgNr8ij.jpg

https://www.pttweb.cc/bbs/PC_Shopping/M.1590679194.A.F5B

Taiwanese Aquariuszi:

PS5 did start much earlier, but the final chip revision started H2 2019.
XSX started the chip verification in H1 2019 and finished in H2 2019.

So Silicon wafers were made end of 2019 for both.

I am not too sure what posters are expecting from die shot, as we know there is not room for a big L3 infinity cache, but it would be nice to see.

https://www.pttweb.cc/bbs/PC_Shopping/M.1590679194.A.F5B

Taiwanese Aquariuszi:

PS5 did start much earlier, but the final chip revision started H2 2019.
XSX started the chip verification in H1 2019 and finished in H2 2019.

So Silicon wafers were made end of 2019 for both.

I am not too sure what posters are expecting from die shot, as we know there is not room for a big L3 infinity cache, but it would be nice to see.
Confirmation or not on single L2 cache for all the CPU and not 2 separate caches. Other than that it's still nice to see it 'naked' :)

Last edited:
As expected.

PS4/Xbox One were dated 2012 for a late 2013 launch
PS4 Pro APU was dated 2015 for a late 2016 launch
Xbox One X was dated 2016 for a late 2017 launch
PS5 dated 2019 for late 2020 launch
XSX/XSS ????
Bonus: Zen 3 5600X dated 2019 for a late 2020 launch

My guess is both XSX/XSS will also be dated 2019 but really given Phil stating they waited for AMD tech it should be dated 2020 or that was just PR.
Could have been waiting for firmware.

Could have been waiting for firmware.

I doubt that as firmware is software. Phil said; "We were waiting for some specific AMD technology in our chip". Which could well have been the case in 2019. My beef is he mixes this possible fact with building the units from this summer in 2020 a little later than Sony and now a lot of people ran with Microsoft waiting until this summer to integrate some mystery tech in the chip and as consequence made/shipped less units.

I think the CEO of Microsoft will have a better understanding about the future gaming industry landscape in 10 years than some wannabe forum poster seeking attention.

Eh? The CEO if an enterprise software company knows more about the gaming industry landscape over the next decade?

MS is a B2B-focused enterprise software and cloud services company that just so happens to have an interest in console gaming. I can assure you that someone like Nadella, organizationally, is so far removed from their Xbox business that he very likely knows very little about gaming. Heck, judging from Xbox's performance over the past 2 decades, I'd argue personally that even Spencer doesn't properly understand the gaming business. MS's continued string of multiple failures in the gaming segment demonstrate rather aptly how they're constantly misreading the market.

But please, don't let that stop you putting your blind faith in short-term corporate growth-obsessed MBAs, whose background is in the cloud and datacentre business, over the future of the videogames industry.

I'm sure the final result of Halo: Infinite is going to be a solid game. But some of the artistic design choices I do find to be pretty repugnant. This concept art is a prime example, wherein you have these weird smooth-surfaced vertical pillars that just look hideous and in-game end up looking more like a rendering bug than the artist's intent.

I understand what they were going for, with the interlocking stone pillars, similar to the Giant's Causeway's basalt columns:
GiantsCausewayStones9Mid-2019-08-19-04-19.jpg

But problem with the one's in Halo: Infinite is the sheer lack of surface texturing and weathering, e.g.:

Chaussee_geants_prismes_rouges.jpg

The ones in Halo just look awful, and makes the whole landscape look too artificial and like the GPU isn't pulling in and rendering the textures properly. It's really bad and brings down the whole aesthetic.

Combined with the spartan armor and enemy design (*cough* Craig says hi), I think 343i should be looking to hire some new artists.

My issues with Halo: Infinite all along weren't just the technical rendering choices (and certainly not "the lighting"). For me what made it really look so subpar even for an XB1 game was the art direction, animations and terrible particle effects for gun shots, energy shields and explosions. Compare the Halo: Infinite demo even to something like RDR2 and it's almost a generational difference.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I finally figured out what happened. I didn't talk to the last monumental. so no soul upgrades. no magic sword. nothing. and with a vanilla build doing 1-2, and almost beat it, i feel proud of myself. :lollipop_beaming_smiling:
When I played on PS3 years ago, I somehow went to the Shrine of Storms before beating the Phalanx from 1-1, and I remember fighting the first boss in Shrine. Playing Demon's Souls right now, I dont know how in the hell I made it back then, because I also didnt know about the monumental or probably upgrading weapons too.

When I did 1-1 years ago, I got to the first blue knight on the bridge and noped out of the level, when I tried to go back I somehow went to the wrong archstone.

I played all kinds of crazy on PS3, lol. I vaguely remember the guy I bought stuff from on 1-1 years ago.

Last edited:

Not that it surprises me at all but I just checked Argos for any update on stock of PS5 and they no more for this year. Not sure how long that notice has been up but If a big national retailer like them aren't getting any more this year I doubt many others will.

The teaser trailer also wasn't it, showing all those multiplatform games that are better on PS5.
Basically and if I remember correctly only a couple of Microsoft execs on the day of the VGAs Tweeted to suggest we want to tune in....But few believed anything big would happen.

Or maybe I dreamed this.

If true then last year they really didn't do anything special at VGAs. If they say it's less than that then I really wouldn't expect anything really interesting from them.

If true then last year they really didn't do anything special at VGAs. If they say it's less than that then I really wouldn't expect anything really interesting from them.

Yep. I see Sony have Tweeted this time for us to tune in but I expect nothing TBH. I haven't bothered watching live the last couple of years but will probably watch this year by virtue of it being on a couple of hours earlier than usual.

SSfox

WTF???

They usually don't do that even if there is something plan to be announce

What is up about this tweet???!!!

FinishedDelayedBlobfish.webp

kyliethicc

Yep. I see Sony have Tweeted this time for us to tune in but I expect nothing TBH. I haven't bothered watching live the last couple of years but will probably watch this year by virtue of it being on a couple of hours earlier than usual.
Sony will likely say Ratchet & Clank is coming out in February. Maybe one more thing.

Xbox (if anything) will do a cinematic teaser trailer to reveal whatever game that new studio of their's is making.

Nintendo might reveal a new Smash Bro's character.

saintjules

Gold Member
I don’t think people realize how powerful these new consoles are, that fact that most of the games are already running at 60fps-120fps at 4K is amazing especially for $499.

1080p with RT at 60fps ... Insomniac is just showing off at this point and we are not even in a full year yet with these consoles.... I am excited.

Yup. And we now know that it's possible to give multiple options. Expecting this to be more of a thing in the coming months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom