• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
No PS Now is same as Game Pass. It has hundreds of PS4 games to download and play on PS4/PS5. And its just $60/year, half the price of GP. And it has the streaming option for hundreds of PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1 games.

Horizon Zero Dawn just got added. Sony has been putting all their big PS4 games on over the last year.
Also during Days of Play and Black Friday PS now and PS+ yearly subs are discounted to ~45$.

oldergamer

Yup. 7 years, the entire generation. Not a single game Xbox published was nominated for GOTY. Pathetic.

Microsoft don't make high quality games, they churn out the same boring shit like Halo.. infinitely.
That's bullshit. That list of GOTY candidates rarely includes online multiplayer games. For the most part almost every game MS has made has multiplayer. Minecraft, halo, gears, forza, you name it.

FunkMiller

Forgive me I just couldn't resist. 😂 😂 😂

giphy.gif

KAL2006

Banned
That's bullshit. That list of GOTY candidates rarely includes online multiplayer games. For the most part almost every game MS has made has multiplayer. Minecraft, halo, gears, forza, you name it.

There are some multiplayer games in the GotY nomenee list not all are exclusives mind your but other than Forza, Halo and Gears haven't even set the world on fire as online games, people are busy playing COD, Fortnite and etc. Do you not think it's strange not a single Microsoft published game has been nominated for GotY for the past 7 years.

RaZoR No1

So anybody who already played Cyberpunk, did it live up to the hype?

Currently I will wait until we get the next gen patch and try to avoid as many spoilers as possible.

btw: do we already have a date for the Next Gen Update?

Gears of War was nominated twice for GOTY and Halo three times in the past

It's not because they make more multiplayer games. It's becacuse their quality is trash

Last edited:

oldergamer

There are some multiplayer games in the GotY nomenee list not all are exclusives mind your but other than Forza, Halo and Gears haven't even set the world on fire as online games, people are busy playing COD, Fortnite and etc. Do you not think it's strange not a single Microsoft published game has been nominated for GotY for the past 7 years.
Strange? No. It also depends who are picking the nominees. The first Ori game should have got a nomination and didn't.

kyliethicc

Overwatch won GOTY in 2016 so what lol ? And Smash got nominated. So did PUBG.

Xbox just do not make GOTY quality games. As you said its just the boring shit - Halo, Gears, Forza.

The vast games media that votes for Game Awards agree with me. Xbox games do not deserve nominations for GOTY, not once for 7 years. Over 35 games... Xbox made zero of them.

KAL2006

Banned
Gears of War was nominated twice for GOTY and Halo three times in the past

It's not because they make more multiplayer games. It's becacuse their quality is trash

Expactly Halo was ground breaking with the first 3. Gears was with 1 and 2. Hell even Sony flopped with boring sequels like God of War Ascension, Killzone 3 and Shadow fall. They had to reinvent God of War and get Guerilla to make a new RPG. However Sony have so many hits it's doenst matter if some games, but to me personally Microsoft is lacking quality big AAA game of the year nomenee games and continue to recycle the same shit over and over again which excited no one. Hell even the new Halo failed to excite many people.

MastaKiiLA

Are the online multiplayer games generally considered to be great games, or what you would consider to be GOTY candidates? I don't think anyone doubts that a lot of MS's stable is comprised of online multiplayer games, but are they good? Or are they kinda generic/derivative reskins of the same basis shooter you've been playing since the original Halo and Gears? COD and FIFA sell well every year, but I don't know if anyone would consider them GOTY candidates.

Halo Infinite will no doubt sell very well, but is it going to convert PS5 and Switch gamers over to the XSX|S? Sony and Nintendo make games that offer experiences you won't find on another console, even via 3rd party multiplat. They compel you to buy a Switch or PS5, because they'll be the home of those unique experiences. You can find similar online multiplayer experiences to the MS games on the PS5, be it from Sony themselves, or via 3rd party. I think this is where the notion comes that MS has no games. They have games, but they're not standouts by any means. They cater to their established base of consumers, but what they really need to do is attract new blood. I'm not sure even Bethesda can provide them with that level of appeal, as Bethesda feels like more of the PC-style fare that already makes up much of the Xbox library.

Were they nominated? If they were nominated, they aren't trash. Like I said, you are full of shit.

Dude think before you press enter

I am saying, Microsoft games didn't recieve any nominations last gen not because they were making mostly multiplayer games, but because their games were TRASH

You listed Halo and Gears as examples, even though in the past they recieved multiple nominations. That was during the 360 days where they didn't mainly produce trash

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Strange? No. It also depends who are picking the nominees. The first Ori game should have got a nomination and didn't.

True but for every Ori game that should have been nominated you have a Dreams or Shadow of Collosus, Demons Souls, Astro Boy that should have been nominated. We need to be honest here Microsoft are lacking highly regarded games for way too long and the future doesn't seem bright either.

ArcaneNLSC

so with regards to the xbox I ask these questions:

How many L's does xbox take till the dev tools mature? (I've got to know)
How many L's does xbox take till its 1st party games drop? (Tell me)
How many L's does xbox take till Phil gets the boot? (Oh, oh)
How many L's does xbox take till you go and buy a PS5? (Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh)

HoofHearted

No PS Now is same as Game Pass. It has hundreds of PS4 games to download and play on PS4/PS5. And its just $60/year, half the price of GP. And it has the streaming option for hundreds of PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1 games.

Horizon Zero Dawn just got added. Sony has been putting all their big PS4 games on over the last year.

Thanks - Once I work through my backlog via the PS+ collection I'll look into PSNow ;)

Yup. 7 years, the entire generation. Not a single game Xbox published was nominated for GOTY. Pathetic.

Microsoft don't make high quality games, they churn out the same boring shit like Halo.. infinitely.
It was a bad generation set up by Don Mattrick and company. Phil Spencer on the other hand has set up this next generation beautifully with a breadth of studios that now need to perform. I don't expect the hits to start rolling in until Q4 2021 - Q4 2022, honestly.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Tell me something, how hard was it to type that and still keep a straight face? :messenger_grinning_squinting:
The saddest part is he thinks including multiplayer matters? Yet Overwatch won in 2016.

Some nominated singleplayer games, like Uncharted 4 and Ghost of Tsushima, have multiplayer too. And Dark Souls and Death Stranding and Bloodborne have the asynchronous mp aspect, and Smash is PvP, etc.

Its fucking nonsense, Xbox just make boring forgettable games.

kyliethicc

It was a bad generation set up by Don Mattrick and company. Phil Spencer on the other hand has set up this next generation beautifully with a breadth of studios that now need to perform. I don't expect the hits to start rolling in until 2022, honestly.
Phil has been xbox head since late 2013 and before that he was in charge of their games.... so good luck waiting 7 more years lol

"no good games in 2019 cause of the guy from 2012 who's been gone for 6 years"... sure

"wait til E3 wait til Halo wait til Phil"

Last edited:
"no good games in 2019 cause of the guy from 2012 who's been gone for 6 years"... sure
My understanding of the situation is that MS leadership severely strangled the gaming division's budget until about 2017. However, 2014 was when stuff like Sea of Thieves was greenlit, AFAIK, marking the beginning of the positive shift. Rare had spent many years having all their pitches rejected and games cancelled, yet MS essentially handed them a free pass to make the games they wanted to make. So there has been a distinct shift in culture at MS that has accelerated since 2014. And a lot of it is financial related. They closed a lot of studios and declined sequels and things like that because they didn't have money to spend. I think that if MS gaming had been flush with cash they could have greenlit Ryse 2 with no hesitation. But they didn't have the money. The Microsoft of the early 2010s would never have greenlit something like MS Flight Simulator. They would have micromanaged it into Kinect Planes or something and then cancelled it.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

My understanding of the situation is that MS leadership severely strangled the gaming division's budget until about 2017. However, 2014 was when stuff like Sea of Thieves was greenlit, AFAIK, marking the beginning of the positive shift. Rare had spent many years having all their pitches rejected and games cancelled, yet MS essentially handed them a free pass to make the games they wanted to make. So there has been a distinct shift in culture at MS that has accelerated since 2014. And a lot of it is financial related. They closed a lot of studios and declined sequels and things like that because they didn't have money to spend. I think that if MS gaming had been flush with cash they could have greenlit Ryse 2 with no hesitation. But they didn't have the money. The Microsoft of the early 2010s would never have greenlit something like MS Flight Simulator. They would have micromanaged it into Kinect Planes or something and then cancelled it.

I'm sorry, what? Flight Sim?

"It is the eleventh major entry in the Microsoft Flight Simulator series, which was first released in 1982"

Phil's leadership of Xbox is stellar. Scalebound worked out great. Sea Pirates is so fun.

zwYEcu6.jpg

And Ryse was shit too.

4MlHjDf.jpg

Remember when Fable Legends was gonna last 10 years and be free to play? (Just like Halo 6 will too.)

z3pd8D7.jpg

But get excited now - they're trying Fable again, coming in just a few more years! Can't possibly be bad.

Last edited:
Phil has been xbox head since late 2013 and before that he was in charge of their games.... so good luck waiting 7 more years lol

"wait til E3 wait til Halo wait til Phil"

He wasn't promoted into Microsoft Leadership until 2017, this allowed him to get the budget to make the acquisitions that he did after Don Mattrick literally closed down almost all of the first party studios at Microsoft and started focusing on TV and Kinect. He pretty much had to undo that garbage and build up the first party studios from scratch. Now they have 20+ studios. Taking into account, some studios have only had 3 years development time and haven't had final dev kits until this year, I expect another 2 years for many of them to finish up their games, giving them 5 years to develop truly next gen titles.

Let's not forget, Phil also brought us the Xbox One X which was significantly more powerful than the Xbox One and Xbox One S during that time as well. He also set up Gamepass, Playanywhere, Backwards Compatibility, and various other consumer friendly programs.

These articles below should help with that timeline.

Xbox chief Phil Spencer promoted to Microsoft leadership group | VentureBeat

Xbox head Phil Spencer told Microsoft to go 'all-in' on gaming when brand was threatened | Windows Central

Last edited:

kyliethicc

He wasn't promoted into Microsoft Leadership until 2017, this allowed him to get the budget to make the acquisitions that he did after Don Mattrick literally closed down almost all of the first party studios at Microsoft and started focusing on TV and Kinect. He pretty much had to undo that garbage and build up the first party studios from scratch. Now they have 20+ studios. Taking into account, some studios have only had 3 years development time and haven't had final dev kits until this year, I expect another 2 years for many of them to finish up their games, giving them 5 years to develop truly next gen titles.

These articles below should help with that timeline.

Xbox chief Phil Spencer promoted to Microsoft leadership group | VentureBeat

Xbox head Phil Spencer told Microsoft to go 'all-in' on gaming when brand was threatened | Windows Central
You blame the guy from 2012? He left in July 2013... who's to blame for the shit in 2016?

You blame the guy from 2012? He left in July 2013... who's to blame for the shit in 2016?
It takes time to undo the garbage that Mattrick wrought and he wasn't under Nadella's management at that time. Once under Nadella he had the budget and got the OK to right the ship. Read the articles.

I'm not saying he's a hero, but if you're a Sony die-hard then you won't see his merit. It takes a lot to turn a business around and it doesn't happen over night.

Last edited:

Lemondish

Currently I will wait until we get the next gen patch and try to avoid as many spoilers as possible.

In order...

No. It's horrendous, and it isn't just the bugs.
Good idea, and good luck.
No idea when.

kyliethicc

It takes time to undo the garbage that Mattrick wrought and he wasn't under Nadella's management at that time. Once under Nadella he had the budget and got the OK to right the ship. Read the articles.

I'm not saying he's a hero, but if you're a Sony die-hard then you won't see his merit. It takes a lot to turn a business around and it doesn't happen over night.
It doesn't take that long. Stop simping for Phil Soft bro.

The future of Xbox 1st party games is not looking good. Microsoft always find a way to fuck it up. They even killed Rare. Bungie had to leave to survive lol

I'm sorry, what? Flight Sim?

"It is the eleventh major entry in the Microsoft Flight Simulator series, which was first released in 1982"
You may not have noticed this, but there was a 14 year gap between Flight SImulator X and MS Flight Simulator 2020. In the interim, The Coalition began development of a successor that was cancelled by MS, because of course it was. MS turned their backs on their OG PC gaming audience for the most part. Look at Ryse. That didn't have a PC version because 2013 Microsoft didn't WANT a PC version. Crytek had to buy the rights back from MS to release the PC version. Modern MS doesn't think like that anymore.
Phil's leadership of Xbox is stellar. Scalebound worked out great. Sea Pirates is so fun.
Sea of Thieves is widely regarded as an absolutely exceptional game, and it received glowing reviews on its first anniversary. You might not like it, but it has 95% positive recent Steam reviews for a reason.

And Ryse was shit too.
Ryse was okay. Probably Crytek's weakest game, and it had deeply troubled development that led them to sacrifice gameplay complexity in favor of focusing on cinematic presentation in order to meet the XBO's launch date. But the game does a few things really well, and I think Ryse II has potential to take the surrealistic, dreamlike vision of Rome, and pair it with Crytek's strong mechanical foundations. Ryse 2 was supposed to begin early development this year, but COVID may have pushed it back.
Remember when Fable Legends was gonna last 10 years and be free to play?
Again, it's not really complicated. MS's gaming division was having the life throttled out of it by MS upper management. That's why they kept cancelling things. That's why games were released rushed, why internal studios were discarded in favor of exclusivity deals, and stuff like that. The road to improvement was slow and arduous. 2015 Microsoft would never spend 7 billion dollars to buy Doom. They were repeatedly considering closing down their entire gaming division.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Yeah, that was my plan before the release. Looks like the best plan now.

I'll be waiting for next gen versions always now.

kyliethicc

You may not have noticed this, but there was a 14 year gap between Flight SImulator X and MS Flight Simulator 2020. In the interim, The Coalition began development of a successor that was cancelled by MS, because of course it was. MS turned their backs on their OG PC gaming audience for the most part. Look at Ryse. That didn't have a PC version because 2013 Microsoft didn't WANT a PC version. Crytek had to buy the rights back from MS to release the PC version. Modern MS doesn't think like that anymore.

Sea of Thieves is widely regarded as an absolutely exceptional game, and it received glowing reviews on its first anniversary. You might not like it, but it has 95% positive recent Steam reviews for a reason.

Ryse was okay. Probably Crytek's weakest game, and it had deeply troubled development that led them to sacrifice gameplay complexity in favor of focusing on cinematic presentation in order to meet the XBO's launch date. But the game does a few things really well, and I think Ryse II has potential to take the surrealistic, dreamlike vision of Rome, and pair it with Crytek's strong mechanical foundations. Ryse 2 was supposed to begin early development this year, but COVID may have pushed it back.

Again, it's not really complicated. MS's gaming division was having the life throttled out of it by MS upper management. That's why they kept cancelling things. That's why games were released rushed, why internal studios were discarded in favor of exclusivity deals, and stuff like that. The road to improvement was slow and arduous. 2015 Microsoft would never spend 7 billion dollars to buy Doom. They were repeatedly considering closing down their entire gaming division.
If you think Sea of Thieves is a high quality game... man. Best of luck.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Apparently, The Initiative's new game is a "seasonal" game like a tv show that will have a new campaign every year.

I told you all that Gamepass will pretty much kill the AAA game market and turn everything into what we call made for TV movies. Done quickly for a quick buck. Games need 2-3 years of dev time.

Watch as MS starts to put out mediocre games left and right with minimal effort. You can already see this with Netflix.

kyliethicc

Apparently, The Initiative's new game is a "seasonal" game like a tv show that will have a new campaign every year.

I told you all that Gamepass will pretty much kill the AAA game market and turn everything into what we call made for TV movies. Done quickly for a quick buck. Games need 2-3 years of dev time.

Watch as MS starts to put out mediocre games left and right with minimal effort. You can already see this with Netflix.
lol where did you see that about the Initiative?

AAAA gaming right there

Episodic games do not need 2-3 years of dev time. The entire point of the episodic model is to lay a foundation and produce content quickly with rapid iteration. Besides, most big AAA games consist of 2-3 years wasting money and bleeding staff, and then 18 months of insane crunch trying to pull everything together. The idea is to have well oiled teams producing content with quick turnaround. The episodic model was working perfectly well for Half-Life 2 until Valve decided to have a midlife crisis.

Chris Seavor really liked the Half-Life approach and he proposed a new Perfect Dark game that would be an episodic series with a new episode releasing at the latest, every 12 months. A new episode every year for the 360's lifespan. Use the foundation, keep building upon it with fast turnaround. I think The Initiative's project is a combination of this with Project Spark kinda thrown in there. Remember the episodic Conker game that got cancelled? The idea was sound, the execution was lacking.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

GOD......I hope this isn't true. That will honestly suck hard!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom