• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sircaw

Banned
Xbox must have something surely, they just had one of the worst console releases ever in terms of games and to not show something or have something for there fans, how much farther do they want to allow Ps5 to take the lead, they do realize that R+c plus Gran t5, god of war, and probably more are coming out next year, wtf are they doing at Xbox.

Seriously Spencer needs to fucking go, he has been nothing but a disaster.

Sinthor

Gold Member
The console
Oh....I didn't realize that was at the Awards. So that was the console reveal and Senua 2 then? Ok, well, nothing that big to reveal makes sense unless they were going to reveal that the Series S actually has 2x the power of Series X but due to a secret deal with the aliens that just wasn't able to be revealed until now...... :)

Seriously, it's totally legit for them to be tamping down expectations. People are speculating about all kinds of games exclusive to Series X magically showing up in demo ready or playable form at this show and even surprise reveals of Halo Infinite in a condition matching the INITIAL trailer that was shown for it. None of that will happen. I can still be a strong showing for MS regardless. We will see!

On the Playstation side, I would expect to see more at least in trailer form from Horizon: Forbidden West and maybe a trailer for God of War. That would be huge with just those two. Anything above and beyond that, will be icing on the cake!

Sinthor

Gold Member
Still funny to think this time last year the hellblade 2 trailer released and everyone thought that was actual gameplay 😂😂

Actually wondering if they will show it this time around or the wait continues?!

Given the original Halo Infinite trailer and how the gameplay differed vastly there, I think the answers about Senua 2 are fairly obvious. I expect it to look great, but it's not going to be gameplay like the trailer...at least the closeup of Senua herself. the rest of it shown is achievable.

Damn. Xbox just can't produce anything worthwhile of late. All that hype and talk of power for months, but now the chips have fallen and you've been found(for now) lacking on that touted performance on several games.

I want to see them show some big guns, but it seems they just aren't ready and won't be for a while, due to their insistence on Series S and keeping Xbox One in the picture too much.

I'm sure XSX and XSS are doing all right, but it feels like Sony is running massive circles around them in sales right now. Say what you wish about resellers nabbing a big chunk, but they wouldn't be if they weren't still selling even at those prices.

My prediction for TGA? God of War: Ragnarok and Metal Gear Solid by Bluepoint, as I believe too many things point to that being their second project.

I wouldn't be surprised if the latter is followed up either in-show or a Tweet confirming Bluepoint is part of Sonys first party developer roster.

Silent Hill? Nah. I'm sure it exists as there is too much smoke, but you won't see it for a while.

Damn. Xbox just can't produce anything worthwhile of late. All that hype and talk of power for months, but now the chips have fallen and you've been found(for now) lacking on that touted performance on several games.

I want to see them show some big guns, but it seems they just aren't ready and won't be for a while, due to their insistence on Series S and keeping Xbox One in the picture too much.

I'm sure XSX and XSS are doing all right, but it feels like Sony is running massive circles around them in sales right now. Say what you wish about resellers nabbing a big chunk, but they wouldn't be if they weren't still selling even at those prices.

My prediction for TGA? God of War: Ragnarok and Metal Gear Solid by Bluepoint, as I believe too many things point to that being their second project.

I wouldn't be surprised if the latter is followed up either in-show or a Tweet confirming Bluepoint is part of Sonys first party developer roster.

Silent Hill? Nah. I'm sure it exists as there is too much smoke, but you won't see it for a while.

I'm starting to become more and more convinced that this is the reason MS bought Zenimax. They looked at their slate of FP games for the first 18months of the XSX/S launch and realized they screwed the pooch.... royally.

You'd think after the dire XB1X launch with damn near zero software to show the "power" that was central to their marketing, they'd have learned their lesson. Nope. Spencer has had since the launch of the OG XB1 to get Microsoft Games Studios on track. He's utterly failed and I think both he and Matt Booty need to be replaced with people who both understand the importance of first party games development and can also work to deliver the goods.

Loyal Xbox customers deserve so much better.

Last edited:
Xbox must have something surely, they just had one of the worst console releases ever in terms of games and to not show something or have something for there fans, how much farther do they want to allow Ps5 to take the lead, they do realize that R+c plus Gran t5, god of war, and probably more are coming out next year, wtf are they doing at Xbox.

Seriously Spencer needs to fucking go, he has been nothing but a disaster.

I got both consoles and I felt the same way until I got game pass and played hellblade and then Doom eternal and probably no mans sky after that.

If you didn’t own a Xbox one or dont buy a lot of games every year there are so much games you can play with games pass and everything runs really fast and smooth on the series x.

Game pass is enough to hold most people over until the next big thing comes out for Xbox. I am not making excuses for the lack of exclusives but what I am saying is their actually is a lot to play on the console right now because of games pass.

I got both consoles and I felt the same way until I got game pass and played hellblade and then Doom eternal and probably no mans sky after that.

If you didn’t own a Xbox one or dont buy a lot of games every year there are so much games you can play with games pass and everything runs really fast and smooth on the series x.

Game pass is enough to hold most people over until the next big thing comes out for Xbox. I am not making excuses for the lack of exclusives but what I am saying is their actually is a lot to play on the console right now because of games pass.

Not if you've already played most of those games.

Neo Blaster

Yes, but you can do that with an Xbox One S or X, no next gen games right now to justify a XSX/XSS purchase. So far MS can't even market them as the best place to play multis.

kyliethicc

Except fundamentally, the value of Game Pass is determined by the yearly output of Xbox 1st party games.

Game Pass is $120/year. To be worth the year of subscription, Xbox needs to publish 2-3 good games, each worth $60-70, each year.

This year they put out Ori 2 on Xbox. Thats it. Not very good value. (edit - and Ori 2 is on Switch lol)

Otherwise, PS Now is half the price of Game Pass and has the same quality and volume of 3rd party games coming and going each year.
Like Control came to PS Now in March, now its on Game Pass, etc.

Last edited:

If someone havent owned xbone(x), then why would they now buy expensive series x to play mostly/only last gen games + pay expensive gamepass?

lets assume that it takes a year to get good exclusives = you pay 500€ + 120€ (or 156€ with live gold)
lets assume that you are hardcore gamer whom doesnt do anything else and play 1 new game every week = 52 games (casuals play probably 5 in a year max)

So is it really smart or worth it to pay +600€ to play old games while waiting for new games?

When you can buy used xbox one x for 100-150€ (because xbox isnt popular, even one x can be bought really cheaply easily) and then used last gen games for 5-10€ each, even with 50 games it would be about the half of xsex + gamepass. and often new xbone games are 5-15€ on stores

or getting xsex + buying used games for 120€ = you could get up to 20-30 games with some luck.

If you say that gamepass is great value for old games, then it should be much cheaper than buying those old games, right?

I get it that prices arent the same over the world, but still game pass is way too praised for what it is = rental service

"netflix for games" sounds cool, but unlike on video services, you cant play hundreds of games / month as playing game takes much more time than watching a movie or episode of series

Even you say that you have played two(2) games and now it is worth it, 2 games that you could have bought really cheaply. Doom eternal were like 14-15€ around black friday and still is less than 20€.

gamepass is "quantity scam", makes people think that they get great deal because there is so many games, but they dont even think that how many they really want to play. Similar to PC steam hoarders whom literally can have like 15 000 games "because they were on sale!"

Last edited:

Jemm

If someone havent owned xbone(x), then why would they now buy expensive series x to play mostly/only last gen games + pay expensive gamepass?

There are also 3rd party games, that play better than on last gen. consoles. People can still buy new games and play them - Game Pass isn't the only way to play games on Xbox, you know?

Faster loading, better performance, Quick Resume and so on. There are many reasons why the same games play better on XSX when compared to previous consoles.

There are also plenty of "old" games, that people haven't had time to play, but have wanted to try. Game Pass is great for playing those and if one game isn't great, it can be deleted without worry. Just try a different one. Also, just because next generation has started, games that came out 1-2 earlier are not suddenly bad or old, if you have never played them.

"netflix for games" sounds cool, but unlike on video services, you cant play hundreds of games / month as playing game takes much more time than watching a movie or episode of series
gamepass is "quantity scam", makes people think that they get great deal because there is so many games, but they dont even think that how many they really want to play. Similar to PC steam hoarders whom literally can have like 15 000 games "because they were on sale!"

You aren't meant to play all the possible games in the Game Pass. There are lot's of games to appeal to people with different tastes. Just like Netflix has plenty of movies and tv-series' to choose from. No one will ever watch (or play) all of them, but pick only those that are interesting.

lets assume that it takes a year to get good exclusives = you pay 500€ + 120€ (or 156€ with live gold)
lets assume that you are hardcore gamer whom doesnt do anything else and play 1 new game every week = 52 games (casuals play probably 5 in a year max)

So is it really smart or worth it to pay +600€ to play old games while waiting for new games?

When you can buy used xbox one x for 100-150€ (because xbox isnt popular, even one x can be bought really cheaply easily) and then used last gen games for 5-10€ each, even with 50 games it would be about the half of xsex + gamepass. and often new xbone games are 5-15€ on stores

or getting xsex + buying used games for 120€ = you could get up to 20-30 games with some luck.

If you say that gamepass is great value for old games, then it should be much cheaper than buying those old games, right?

I get it that prices arent the same over the world, but still game pass is way too praised for what it is = rental service

Even you say that you have played two(2) games and now it is worth it, 2 games that you could have bought really cheaply. Doom eternal were like 14-15€ around black friday and still is less than 20€.

Dude, do you realize games will be $70 going forward on next gen?

My point was game pass has a lot of good games that I have not played and I have been enjoying the service on my Series X. I highly doubt most causals have played through all of the games on GP and there is enough there to hold you over until the next gen games start to rolling out.

Also are you forgetting that both the series S/X have features like fast load times, quick resume and overall better performance for current gen games compared to the One s or One x? So older games run better on the new consoles and people will get to play the newer games by purchasing the Series S/X over the older models so I don’t get your point of saying “why not buy a Xbox one S” because you could say the same thing about someone looking to buy a PS4 or PS5. Demon souls and God fall are the only exclusives right now for PS5.

Anyway, I am not trying to turn this into a stupid console war discussion... I am really enjoying my Series X and GP so the narrative of “Xbox does not have games to play” hasn’t been true for me personally.

Last edited:

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Still funny to think this time last year the hellblade 2 trailer released and everyone thought that was actual gameplay 😂😂

Actually wondering if they will show it this time around or the wait continues?!

Is Hellblade Senua really such a big deal? The first one was an indie game, I expect the next one to have as much appeal as Death Stranding.

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
Dude, do you realize games will be $70 going forward on next gen?

My point was game pass has a lot of good games that I have not played and I have been enjoying the service on my Series X. I highly doubt most causals have played through all of the games on GP and there is enough there to hold you over until the next gen games start to rolling out.

Also are you forgetting that both the series S/X have features like fast load times, quick resume and overall better performance for current gen games compared to the One s or One x? So older games run better on the new consoles and people will get to play the newer games by purchasing the Series S/X over the older models so I don’t get your point of saying “why not buy a Xbox one S” because you could say the same thing about someone looking to buy a PS4 or PS5. Demon souls and God fall are the only exclusives right now for PS5.

Anyway, I am not trying to turn this into a stupid console war discussion... I am really enjoying my Series X and GP so the narrative of “Xbox does not have games to play” hasn’t been true for me personally.

The games on GamePass are usually older games that you can buy on the PlayStation Store for cheap.
Its how video streaming services let you watch the Matrix or Godfather for free.

Spot on, game pass is great I have a 30+ games backlog, the Xbox has no games narrative is nonsense, MS has what is it? 20+ studios working on content so lots to look forward to

Dibils2k

Miles Morales on PS5 has 3 modes now, good job Insomniac.

native 4K @ 60 no RT
sub-4K upres'd @ 30 w/ best RT
sub-4K upres'd @ 60 w/ RT

I hope/expect the same for Ratchet & Clank, and at least 30/60 FPS modes for Horizon FW.
i am pretty sure 30fps mode is the only one thats native 4k

the 60fps modes are sub-4K, with RT version likely from lower res but also has things like less pedestrians so is probably very close to non-RT 60fps mode

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Is Hellblade Senua really such a big deal? The first one was an indie game, I expect the next one to have as much appeal as Death Stranding.

I think it has a chance of being a very good looking game, a lot of people pin there hopes on visuals winning them some footage in the console war.

kyliethicc

i am pretty sure 30fps mode is the only one thats native 4k

the 60fps modes are sub-4K, with RT version likely from lower res but also has things like less pedestrians so is probably very close to non-RT 60fps mode
True I think I flipped those 2 in my mind

The non-RT 60 FPS mode is roughly avg 1440p upres'd to 4K with Insomniac's temporal injection.

I think the new 60 RT mode is just lower avg res upres'd to 4K with less detailed RT than the 30 FPS mode, and ya a cut back on pedestrian density.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

Rea

True I think I flipped those 2 in my mind

The non-RT 60 FPS mode is roughly avg 1440p upres'd to 4K with Insomniac's temporal injection.

I think the new 60 RT mode is just lower avg res upres'd to 4K with less detailed RT than the 30 FPS mode, and ya a cut back on pedestrian density.
My best guess is that,
Performance mode = 1440p min - 4k max
Performance RT mode = 1080p min - 1440p max

kyliethicc

The Performance RT mode has been confirmed as dynamic 4k, but no confirmation on the minimum res. I would think 1080p min though.
Insomniac use temporal injection to upscale a sub-4K image up to 2160p. They used that on PS4 Pro as well.

So it is a dynamic res but its always technically a 4K res final image. Even the 30 FPS mode uses temporal injection as anti-aliasing, despite using a native 2160p frame from the start.

And yeah the 60 + RT mode is probably 1080p min and 1440p max, reconstructed up to 2160p.

mejin

My prediction for the Game Awards regards to the PS5 :

3 titles revealed
2 of which are Remasters
Sony to also announce a major Studio partnership.

Find me later to give me a roasting. 😂 😂 😂

c81e28508a2525284a65c2e3a9f89c55.jpg

HoofHearted

Except fundamentally, the value of Game Pass is determined by the yearly output of Xbox 1st party games.

Game Pass is $120/year. To be worth the year of subscription, Xbox needs to publish 2-3 good games, each worth $60-70, each year.

This year they put out Ori 2 on Xbox. Thats it. Not very good value. (edit - and Ori 2 is on Switch lol)

Otherwise, PS Now is half the price of Game Pass and has the same quality and volume of 3rd party games coming and going each year.
Like Control came to PS Now in March, now its on Game Pass, etc.

FYI - You can currently purchase and convert up to 3 years of Xbox live gold to Ultimate Gamepass. Depending on how you prepay for Xbox Gold - you can save even more. (I’ve seen options as cheap as $120 for 3 years). This gives you Gamepass on both Xbox and PC obviously.

Also - thought PSNow was a streaming service? I’ve only bought PS+ so far.

KAL2006

Banned
Game of the year nominations by year Nintendo Vs Sony Vs Microsoft exclusives

Nintendo - Bayonetta 2
Sony - 0
Microsoft - 0

Nintendo - Mario Maker
Sony - Bloodborne
Microsoft - 0

Nintendo - 0
Sony - Uncharted 4
Microsoft - 0

Nintendo - Zelda BotW, Mario Odyssey
Sony - Horizon, Persona 5
Microsoft - 0

Nintendo - 0
Sony - Spiderman, God of War
Microsoft - 0

Nintendo - Smash Bros Ultimate
Sony - Death Stranding
Microsoft - 0

Nintendo - Animal Crossing
Sony - Final Fantasy 7, Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima
Microsoft - 0

Totals
Nintendo - 6
Sony - 10
Microsoft - 0

Here is the problem and that's not including the prior years when 360 barely had any decent games in the end of the lifecycle. Don't get me wrong GotY doesn't determine the system has the best games. However we can all agree many of the GotY are considered to be high sellers or reviewed really well critically or have had a very high budget polished release. This is why I ignore list wars with games like ReCore, Sea of Thieves, Concrete Genie, Mario Tennis and etc. Alot of those games listed most people don't buy a system for they are nice to have but many people are not picking those games up in comparison to the GotY games nominated. And that's where Microsoft fails at they don't have those big games that ae nominated that makes people want to buy a console and they haven't for a very long time. And they haven't even learnt from this, this generation with the lack of any big games until fall 2021 with Halo. And the games they have shown are not guaranteed to be big, like yes people are hyped for Fable, but I can't remember how many people loved Fable 3. Where as whatever Naughty Dog or Nintendo Mario Studio show next is almost guaranteed to be great. So it's not only the lack of big games from Microsoft its lack of trust they will even deliver.

kyliethicc

FYI - You can currently purchase and convert up to 3 years of Xbox live gold to Ultimate Gamepass. Depending on how you prepay for Xbox Gold - you can save even more. (I’ve seen options as cheap as $120 for 3 years). This gives you Gamepass on both Xbox and PC obviously.

Also - thought PSNow was a streaming service? I’ve only bought PS+ so far.
No PS Now is same as Game Pass. It has hundreds of PS4 games to download and play on PS4/PS5. And its just $60/year, half the price of GP. And it has the streaming option for hundreds of PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1 games.

Horizon Zero Dawn just got added. Sony has been putting all their big PS4 games on over the last year.

kyliethicc

Game of the year nominations by year Nintendo Vs Sony Vs Microsoft exclusives

Nintendo - Bayonetta 2
Sony - 0
Microsoft - 0

Nintendo - Mario Maker
Sony - Bloodborne
Microsoft - 0

Nintendo - 0
Sony - Uncharted 4
Microsoft - 0

Nintendo - Zelda BotW, Mario Odyssey
Sony - Horizon, Persona 5
Microsoft - 0

Nintendo - 0
Sony - Spiderman, God of War
Microsoft - 0

Nintendo - Smash Bros Ultimate
Sony - Death Stranding
Microsoft - 0

Nintendo - Animal Crossing
Sony - Final Fantasy 7, Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima
Microsoft - 0

Totals
Nintendo - 6
Sony - 10
Microsoft - 0

Here is the problem and that's not including the prior years when 360 barely had any decent games in the end of the lifecycle. Don't get me wrong GotY doesn't determine the system has the best games. However we can all agree many of the GotY are considered to be high sellers or reviewed really well critically or have had a very high budget polished release. This is why I ignore list wars with games like ReCore, Sea of Thieves, Concrete Genie, Mario Tennis and etc. Alot of those games listed most people don't buy a system for they are nice to have but many people are not picking those games up in comparison to the GotY games nominated. And that's where Microsoft fails at they don't have those big games that ae nominated that makes people want to buy a console and they haven't for a very long time. And they haven't even learnt from this, this generation with the lack of any big games until fall 2021 with Halo. And the games they have shown are not guaranteed to be big, like yes people are hyped for Fable, but I can't remember how many people loved Fable 3. Where as whatever Naughty Dog or Nintendo Mario Studio show next is almost guaranteed to be great. So it's not only the lack of big games from Microsoft its lack of trust they will even deliver.
Yup. 7 years, the entire generation. Not a single game Xbox published was nominated for GOTY. Pathetic.

Microsoft don't make high quality games, they churn out the same boring shit like Halo.. infinitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom