• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudius

Some people are saying that about Hitman 3. There's basically a 44% in resolution and higher settings on the Xbox.

But I don't really believe that represents a 40%-50% delta between the two platforms.

Also there's a big discussion now on why the PS5 is RDNA1 and not RDNA2. I believe that both systems are custom RDNA2 but what do I know I'm no expert.
Hitman 3 can be played in 1080p60 on the PS4 Pro but the One X is limited to the 1440p30 mode (also possible on the Pro). It's a very weird situation.

Some people are saying that about Hitman 3. There's basically a 44% in resolution and higher settings on the Xbox.

But I don't really believe that represents a 40%-50% delta between the two platforms.

Also there's a big discussion now on why the PS5 is RDNA1 and not RDNA2. I believe that both systems are custom RDNA2 but what do I know I'm no expert.
There isn't a 40% difference and this whole gen is going to be close with slight advantages here and there (but where is the drama in that)
Sony has really only talked of things without great specifics leading to one side claiming shit and the other side claiming made by the hands of God. Pretty sure ps5 is gonna end up in the middle of those 2.
Said that to Digital Foundry. Because hearing them Hitman 3 was the perfomance which Xbox fans are waiting for. If a tech site has such expectations, can you imagine a fanboy?
I fully disagree but in all honestly I'm done arguing about it.

SSfox

The purpose is the same, the implementation is where the main differences are. According to this guy, the PS5's implementation is able to cull geometry much earlier in the pipeline and the entire pipeline is more customizable by developers compared to what DX12U allows. Another difference is that the ENTIRE process is hardware-accelerated by a fixed function unit known as the custom Geometry Engine on PS5, whereas on DX12U, part of the process actually runs on the CUs/SMs themselves.

Same thing with Variable Rate Shading/VRS (which is also hardware-accelerated by the custom GE on PS5), the PS5 implementation allows changes to be made much earlier in the pipeline and has more precision than the Xbox implementation. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen as more next-gen games come out this generation, this is all based off of one insider like RGT, BUT he's one of the most reliable ones out there too.
Seriousely can't wait to see what Rockstar are gonna do with ps5, rdr2 on ps4 base is still impressive to this day and even compare to next gen games.

Hitman 3 can be played in 1080p60 on the PS4 Pro but the One X is limited to the 1440p30 mode (also possible on the Pro). It's a very weird situation.
I guess Ps4 Pro receive a specific optimization to support VR at 60fps.

Glacier Engine remains many last-gen approaches. To compare Xbox Series X against PS5 we must see true next-gen games on optimized engines. For me the only next-gen game released is Demons Souls.

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-hitman-3-tech-review
Glacier Engine concentrates on delivering a pristine presentation that does not rely so heavily on heavy post-processing or temporal accumulation techniques to achieve its goals. Hitman 3 focuses on clean lines and well-defined spaces, where a higher resolution definitely helps. This requires brute force horsepower and that's what the new consoles deliver.

roops67

Alex B said this is the only game that gives a true performances metric and that's final, the DICTATOR has spoken! But oh wait, he was only speaking of performance of XSX and PS5 specifically and the rest of the weird results are excluded from his rule , and that's final the DICTATOR has spoken! What a clown 🤡

I remember RGT stated a few times that the PS5's Geometry Engine was in part created because of the pressure from first party developers who were not happy with the optimisation capabilities of the PS4/Pro. He further stated that had Sony Santa Monica developers had a little more control over the culling aspect of God of War then the game would have run significantly more smoothley and the PS4/Pro fan noise would would have been nowhere as bad it was.

kyliethicc

Exactly.

Hitman 3 is 1440p30 on both PS4 Pro vs XOneX. And only PS4 Pro has 1080p60 mode.

But we know that is NOT representative of the 2 system's true capabilities / differences.

And then...

Hitman 3 is 1800p60 on PS5 vs 2160p60 on XSX.

Yet some think that IS representative of the 2 system's true capabilities / differences? Nah.

SSfox

Hermen is teasing with us, i'm always excited about what SSM does, i even loved Ascension that a lot of people hated, while it's my least favorite GOW game but it was still a very good game, idk maybe it's just me loving too much BTA games and Kratos is my favorite main male character of all time right after Solid Snake.

But i'm surprise he talks about GOW2 like that, he seems quite confident the game will come out this year, i wonder if GOW2 will end coming before Horizon 2 at this point, which would be something nobody have seen coming.

Last edited:
Seems like there are ongoing class action suits against Microsoft and Nintendo too.

Seems like a general component supplier quality control issue.

This could be resolved simply by having a more favourable in-warranty returns and repair policy. Sony stipulating that user need to pay for postage is pretty trash.

When my first PS3 died, Sony sent someone to collect it and returned me a working console with no cost to me. That said, I lived in the UK at the time and UK and EU rules demand more consumer-friendly policies for these things.

In the UK you take it up with the merchant and get a replacement immediately so long as it's within warranty.

Rossco EZ

what new games is everyone looking forward too? games with release dates or without would be welcome, i’m pretty bored of current games so anything to look forward to would be great(y).

farmerboy

200.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Some PCMRs love to fall back on that BS deflection (a few do it on here as well), but they are MS/Xbox adjacent and always go to war with them (when it's against PS). It's all goofy shit at the end of the day, and stop trying to fool people as if PCMR mentality in isolation is any more morally superior than "console warring." Even on the PC you have your same juvenile wars when it comes to parts and brands.

Actually PCMR's fanatics have the worst kind: Not buying games for half the price if it's not on Steam. Most of them are Steam/Valve fanboys, then comes the nVidia vs AMD vs Intel BS. Actually they are the most unsettled people and always out for a war and show authority over consoles or lesser PC's to fill up some of their missing alpha traits in real life. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

skit_data

PS5 Die Shot maybe today or tomorrow 👀🔥

BMTonQe.gif

PS5 has an actual die, finally we can put this to rest. We had yet to see any confirmation on this from anyone, i want to thank everyone that doubted the PS5 die, just like all doubts on being RDNA 2 based and so on and so forth. Now, soon we need only the Geometry Engine-shot, the Primitive shader features-shots and the HW based RT-shot so that we may go on to speculate in a synchronized reality.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Flawless performance.

Many time playing the game to find one single drop on cutscene.
Well, of course lol. It's 4kcb. It wouldve been interesting to see if the PS5 could manage native 4k 60 fps with 10 tflops.

The PS4 runs this game at 1080p/30 fps at 1.84 tflops. Pro runs it at 1080p/60 fps or 4kcb/30 fps at at 4.2 tflops. No matter what the framerate or resolution, it seems to scale with tflops. So they wouldve needed 7.2 tflops for native 4k 30 fps and 14.4 tflops for native 4k 60 fps, probably a bit less with the zen 2 cpu eliminating some bottlenecks here and there.

10 rdna tflops is like 15 gcn 1 tflops so it's possible, but they wouldve had to release this as a PS5 sku to get native 4k 60 fps. 4kcb 60 fps is probably very easy to do here since you could probably do that with just 8.5 tflops. wouldnt be surprised if there is a lot of headroom left for more.

ZehDon

The processing of game logic runs in parallel to the graphics rendering, not sequentially.
... er, not really. You need to generate the frame and its content, and then hand that data off to be drawn. This is why frame times encapsulate the logic necessary to generate the frame in addition to the time to render the frame. You can begin rendering your current frame once its completed and then begin work on generating the next frame while its being rendered out, but that step-lock approach has its own issues, which is why its not as widely used as one may think. Update > Draw > Update > Draw is the typical approach you'll find in the vast majority of games.

... er, not really. You need to generate the frame and its content, and then hand that data off to be drawn. This is why frame times encapsulate the logic necessary to generate the frame in addition to the time to render the frame. You can begin rendering your current frame once its completed and then begin work on generating the next frame while its being rendered out, but that step-lock approach has its own issues, which is why its not as widely used as one may think. Update > Draw > Update > Draw is the typical approach you'll find in the vast majority of games.
👆 this man spoke the truth

Hashi

The processing of game logic runs in parallel to the graphics rendering, not sequentially.
Soo in photo mode game logic are fully load CPU? Yes?
I thought it was input, update, render, input, update, render...
.. and Gameloop is sequentially. Even read from "normal" disk is sequentially not parallel.
Theres no update (but not all) in Photo Mode.

Offtop
while (...) {
Check inputs
do AI
move opponents
Check collision
render
play audio
send to server
}

Last edited:

LiquidRex

Well, of course lol. It's 4kcb. It wouldve been interesting to see if the PS5 could manage native 4k 60 fps with 10 tflops.

The PS4 runs this game at 1080p/30 fps at 1.84 tflops. Pro runs it at 1080p/60 fps or 4kcb/30 fps at at 4.2 tflops. No matter what the framerate or resolution, it seems to scale with tflops. So they wouldve needed 7.2 tflops for native 4k 30 fps and 14.4 tflops for native 4k 60 fps, probably a bit less with the zen 2 cpu eliminating some bottlenecks here and there.

10 rdna tflops is like 15 gcn 1 tflops so it's possible, but they wouldve had to release this as a PS5 sku to get native 4k 60 fps. 4kcb 60 fps is probably very easy to do here since you could probably do that with just 8.5 tflops. wouldnt be surprised if there is a lot of headroom left for more.
Didn't Mark Cerny say you need a minimum of 8tflops to render native 4K, that's 8 tflops in GCN.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Didn't Mark Cerny say you need a minimum of 8tflops to render native 4K, that's 8 tflops in GCN.

To even consider that 8TF GCN is what you need for 4K meaning that he's talking about last gen standards is irrelevant. Now games at 1440p have much better graphics/assets so using resolution as a metric doesn't make sense. Even 10 years from now there will be some games struggling to achieve 4K, not to mention shitty devs that can't optimize anything even for a top end 3090.

I love 4K sharpness, but I would easily trade that for better graphics at 1440p.

Last edited:

LiquidRex

To even consider that 8TF GCN is what you need for 4K meaning that he's talking about last gen standards. Now games at 1440p have much better graphics/assets so using resolution as a metric doesn't make sense. Even 10 years from now there will be some games struggling to achieve 4K, not to mention a shitty devs that can't optimize anything even for a top end 3090.

I love 4K sharpness, but I would easily trade that for better graphics at 1440p.
I want to see Sony's own version of VRS & Super Checkerboard rendering to achieve what DLSS is currently doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom