• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Alex only cares about PC lol. I'll always remember him as the Halo apologist (the lighting) and his Instagram pics, wtf alex.
Some PCMRs love to fall back on that BS deflection (a few do it on here as well), but they are MS/Xbox adjacent and always go to war with them (when it's against PS). It's all goofy shit at the end of the day, and stop trying to fool people as if PCMR mentality in isolation is any more morally superior than "console warring." Even on the PC you have your same juvenile wars when it comes to parts and brands.

Zadom

Riky: I told people to hold on with the victory parade, we'll see what comes next.
[/QUOTE]

I agree, those early victory parades are annoying. Like the guy in November who said Xbox Series X would be out of sight for PS5 and they should be challenged by Xbox Series S.
IDnfGdr.jpg

Last edited:
Riky: I told people to hold on with the victory parade, we'll see what comes next.

I agree, those early victory parades are annoying. Like the guy in November who said Xbox Series X would be out of sight for PS5 and they should be challenged by Xbox Series S.
IDnfGdr.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Talking to he/she recently he/she has the theory that the XSS will be in par with the PS5 due to the use of all RDNA2 features. I don't know if RDNA2 will allow the TF gap to close that much or allow the XSS to pull ahead of the PS5, but I honestly don't think it's possible when the gap is that big.

Is this correct Riky Riky ?

Do you think there is some dedicated separate block for handling geometry?

Maybe that is not what is happening with Primitive/Mesh Shaders.

Like LeviathanGamer look in the drivers source code, Mesh Shaders are software upgrade. Geometry Engine would be the same thing. AMD would have to implement Mesh Shaders for RDNA 1, but itself independent of DirectX12.
I agree that there's unlikely to be any fixed function, dedicated hardware IP block for primitive/mesh shaders. The whole point is they're shaders, i.e. they run on general purpose ALU in the shading array.

That said, there IS likely to be some routing circuitry that allows communication between the command processor and/or GPU front end schedule and dispatch, direct to the vector array (and back).

You're right in that it's mostly enabled by the software programming model, however, there will most certainly be some hardware wiring to enable it. Otherwise, it could be retroactively be patched into older obsolete GPUs.

martino

Do you think there is some dedicated separate block for handling geometry?

Maybe that is not what is happening with Primitive/Mesh Shaders.

Like LeviathanGamer look in the drivers source code, Mesh Shaders are software upgrade. Geometry Engine would be the same thing. AMD would have to implement Mesh Shaders for RDNA 1, but itself independent of DirectX12.
i found that looking more into it :
interesting read.
now my theory is that mode was active before update.

BigLee74

What is photomode supposed to test? I could decide to turn everything up to 1000x and get 1fps. Great image quality for a picture, but that's it. Using photomode is just useless in the context of GPU and CPU benchmarking.

In game benchmarking PS5's GPU was shown consistantly on par with XSX's, if not superior in certain aspects. You see, you play games, and pictures are there just to share a nice moment and fps are not indicative of GPU performance.

Oh, you’re right. My bad. Can’t believe DF then NX Gamer felt the need to dedicate videos/sections of videos to this. Idiots to a man! 🤪

It’s a perfectly valid benchmark that focuses primarily on GPU. Two systems, fairly equal in CPU, fairly equal in memory, exact same in-game settings, no other variables coming into play. Let them render the same complex scenes using the game engine as quick as they can. A valid GPU benchmark.

Does this test tell the whole of a machine’s capabilities. Of course it doesn’t, but who was suggesting that? Certainly not me.

So to reiterate. A poster claims PS5 GPU matter-of-fact performs better than XSX, and I counter claim with the results of this benchmark. Is that so bad, really?

You are the one that keeps bringing ‘playing’ and ‘pictures’ into the discussion, seemingly without grasping this simple point..

To show no ill feeling, I’ll leave this one for you. The PS5 might very well end up being the best all-round machine. Only time will tell. But it’s certainly too early for anybody to be calling.

Garani

Oh, you’re right. My bad. Can’t believe DF then NX Gamer felt the need to dedicate videos/sections of videos to this. Idiots to a man! 🤪

It’s a perfectly valid benchmark that focuses primarily on GPU. Two systems, fairly equal in CPU, fairly equal in memory, exact same in-game settings, no other variables coming into play. Let them render the same complex scenes using the game engine as quick as they can. A valid GPU benchmark.

Does this test tell the whole of a machine’s capabilities. Of course it doesn’t, but who was suggesting that? Certainly not me.

So to reiterate. A poster claims PS5 GPU matter-of-fact performs better than XSX, and I counter claim with the results of this benchmark. Is that so bad, really?

You are the one that keeps bringing ‘playing’ and ‘pictures’ into the discussion, seemingly without grasping this simple point..

To show no ill feeling, I’ll leave this one for you. The PS5 might very well end up being the best all-round machine. Only time will tell. But it’s certainly too early for anybody to be calling.
Of course the exercise is interesting, but holds no value whatsoever other than photomode. No matter how you spin it, photomode has a different objective than gameplay.

To actually say that photomode holds relevance on GPU performance is just as incorrect: in gameplay you push much more data to the GPU that needs to work with a more complex and changing environment than a static frame where you move the camera or the lighting. The two machines have different philosophies (fast and narrow vs slow and wide). How this impacts photomode I can't say, but we have seen that it does have impact in gameplay and graphic fidelity.

Once again, photomode is there to take cool pictures, not to beat the villan.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Some PCMRs love to fall back on that BS deflection (a few do it on here as well), but they are MS/Xbox adjacent and always go to war with them (when it's against PS). It's all goofy shit at the end of the day, and stop trying to fool people as if PCMR mentality in isolation is any more morally superior than "console warring." Even on the PC you have your same juvenile wars when it comes to parts and brands.
IyPCwpv.gif

I agree that there's unlikely to be any fixed function, dedicated hardware IP block for primitive/mesh shaders. The whole point is they're shaders, i.e. they run on general purpose ALU in the shading array.

That said, there IS likely to be some routing circuitry that allows communication between the command processor and/or GPU front end schedule and dispatch, direct to the vector array (and back).

You're right in that it's mostly enabled by the software programming model, however, there will most certainly be some hardware wiring to enable it. Otherwise, it could be retroactively be patched into older obsolete GPUs.
Yes. The hardware change already occurred though to give Primitive Shaders.

Riky

$MSFT
IDnfGdr.jpg

Talking to he/she recently he/she has the theory that the XSS will be in par with the PS5 due to the use of all RDNA2 features. I don't know if RDNA2 will allow the TF gap to close that much or allow the XSS to pull ahead of the PS5, but I honestly don't think it's possible when the gap is that big.

[/QUOTE]

It was all fun and games until a game with a 44% resolution advantage and higher settings came along, then boom, reality strikes.

MS seemed very confident hardware support for the RDNA2 features was important, we will soon find out.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

the control benchmark is very interesting, and definitely the best indicator of the GPU performance in both consoles. However, it's curious that despite this large delta between the two consoles where they xbox can have up to a 40% lead in performance, the settings between the two are identical. As we can see, it's fairly easy for Remedy to set graphical settings for consoles as if they are PC versions. And yet, the settings are identical and we see the XSX version suffer from stuttering and other GPU related framedrops.

Alex said that the average difference is 16%. For a 30 fps game, thats basically a 4.5 fps average. Not a big enough difference to unlock the framerate, however, they couldve increased some of the graphical settings and yet they chose not to after seeing in game performance. I think that right there is the reason why this photomode test might be a bit useless if not a bit deceiving. its possible Remedy has a parity clause, but Hitman clearly didnt. AC Valhalla didnt. Dirt 5 didnt. So i think it's definitely possible that the gpu differences we are seeing in photo mode are just not accurate when it comes to final game performance. If they really had an average of 16% more headroom, they couldve had ray traced contact shadows or ray traced debris in there on top of the two reflections settings.

It was all fun and games until a game with a 44% resolution advantage and higher settings came along, then boom, reality strikes.

MS seemed very confident hardware support for the RDNA2 features was important, we will soon find out.
[/QUOTE]

Well I wasn't talking about the XSX incase you didn't notice. Unless your saying that Hitman 3 is running at 44% higher resolution on the XSS than the PS5.

Still for some odd reason your avoiding answering why you think the XSS is on par with the PS5.

Is this correct Riky Riky Riky Riky ?

Yes Riky Riky I was talking about the XSS and not the XSX.

Hopefully that helps.

Last edited:
Y’all seriously discussing outdated tweets and driver updates and PS5 power FUD? WTF.

Xbox fans still desperate for this pointless power win.

Meanwhile in reality PS5 is outselling both SX and SS.
And not to forget that PS5 does this, while being globally sold out since the launch, while xses have been easily available since the launch and xsex from time to time, on multiple areas.

So it's not like both are sold out and winner is chosen by factory capasity

BigLee74

the control benchmark is very interesting, and definitely the best indicator of the GPU performance in both consoles. However, it's curious that despite this large delta between the two consoles where they xbox can have up to a 40% lead in performance, the settings between the two are identical. As we can see, it's fairly easy for Remedy to set graphical settings for consoles as if they are PC versions. And yet, the settings are identical and we see the XSX version suffer from stuttering and other GPU related framedrops.

Alex said that the average difference is 16%. For a 30 fps game, thats basically a 4.5 fps average. Not a big enough difference to unlock the framerate, however, they couldve increased some of the graphical settings and yet they chose not to after seeing in game performance. I think that right there is the reason why this photomode test might be a bit useless if not a bit deceiving. its possible Remedy has a parity clause, but Hitman clearly didnt. AC Valhalla didnt. Dirt 5 didnt. So i think it's definitely possible that the gpu differences we are seeing in photo mode are just not accurate when it comes to final game performance. If they really had an average of 16% more headroom, they couldve had ray traced contact shadows or ray traced debris in there on top of the two reflections settings.

I think that photomode is showing that the XSX GPU performs better than the PS5 - with Controls engine. The fact that it doesn’t equate to the same delta in-game simply suggests that the PS5 is clawing back performance elsewhere. Again, in Controls engine.

There’s gonna be back and forth in all multiplayer games this generation.

Ultimately though, everybody should be happy, because games are finally performing at a truly playable level on all systems, and looking great to boot!

It was called pre launch. You forgot already? The Xbox series x was 40% more powerful and the series s was going to push the PS5.

Well it can be argued that Hitman 3 proves that. But the again we have many other games that are not even close to that. Hitman 3 could very well be an anomaly.

Hashi

Epic said the hardware feature they used was primitive shaders.

The rest was done by the engine in software.

But again, everyone seems to be missing the point.. that it is believed PS5 doesn't have AMD's SPECIFIC mesh shader hardware, doesn't mean they don't have their own custom hardware that does something very similar.
Oh man.
Its only name. They make processing units that make full res Mesh Shading (lighting). "Mesh Shader" will no have advantage in that type demo like UE5. Most important are results.

PaintTinJr

I think that photomode is showing that the XSX GPU performs better than the PS5 - with Controls engine. The fact that it doesn’t equate to the same delta in-game simply suggests that the PS5 is clawing back performance elsewhere. Again, in Controls engine.

There’s gonna be back and forth in all multiplayer games this generation.

Ultimately though, everybody should be happy, because games are finally performing at a truly playable level on all systems, and looking great to boot!
I asked the following question a few pages back and got no reply,
With respect to control photomode conclusions, do we know if the settings in photomode were explicitly matched before conclusions were drawn? Only reason I ask, is that when I started Control UE(PS5) the other night - only 10mins in - I was curious as to why the photomode has a Camera Speed, and why it was set to 50 by default on my system,. I then wondered if this is identical on XsX, and if the camera speed has any link to a frame-rate cap, because the game in gameplay with RT on feels like it is operating well within the hardware's capability, as though it is waiting for me, rather than the old AC 30fps in the 360/PS3 gen of feeling like I'm preloading inputs and waiting for them to playout.

The thing is, and it has just occurred to me, in photomode, the scene is static unless the settings are changed or the viewpoint is changed - and given we know that the method used for 3rd party analysis of frame-rate is to measure a delta change in a frame to count a frame - if the camera speed is fixed at 50 (by default) while measuring a frame-rate by viewpoint change, is it logical to assume that value will be capped by the camera speed - unless the screen tears?

Last edited:

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

PlayStation developers’ most anticipated games of 2021 and beyond

- Deathloop
- Elden Ring
- The Next God of War
- Gran Turismo 7
- Horizon Forbidden West
- Kena: Bridge of Spirits
- Little Devil Inside
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- Resident Evil Village

DJ12

You're wrong, it's a big deal.

You have to build your whole asset loading and streaming to benefit from PS5 superior I/O system. You have to load huge chunk of data at once. It's not a given at all and that's why nobody does it on older titles.

You'll see extremely fast loading on 1st party titles, like Spiderman which takes like 2 sec from menu.
Ride 4 loads tracks considerably faster on PS5.

Just because no one else has bothered yet, doesn't mean it's not going to happen.

Also, as Ride 4 is cross gen it's highly unlikely they did much work to make this happen, certainly not rewriting the whole asset loading and streaming code.

I guess it maybe just an epic patch that has been applied as it runs on Unreal Engine, but your hypothesis seems very worst case scenario to me.

roops67

This Control photo mode performance still needs debating. I've mentioned that there are many differences between XSX and PS5 that begs the question are we looking at the same implementation here, ie double reflections that Bo has shown below. Is this proof that PS5 is shooting out twice as many rays than the XSX? There are many of you here that know heck a lot more than I do on this subject, TheThreadsThatBindUs TheThreadsThatBindUs are you able to give your 2 cents??
It seems to be like this:

PS5

Glass reflection: accurate.
Metal reflection: far.

XSX

Glass reflection: N/A.
Metal reflection: far or glitched away.

PC:

Glass reflection: far.
metal reflection: far.

None of them are accurate.

Ok I just made these now on PS5, seems like the glass reflection is accurate and the metal reflection is indeed far away as stated above:

Control-Ultimate-Edition-20210209190308.png

The metal sheet is around 1" away:

Control-Ultimate-Edition-20210209190225.png

Control-Ultimate-Edition-20210209190126.png

Only when settings are equal and they are employing the same rendering algorithm/technique then they can do a real hardware performance comparison. It's obvious now the RayTracing implementation and quality are different between PS5 and XSX, they don't even have the same bugs also confirms RT are employing different techniques. Alex's photo mode test is false and useless, there's no indication of GPU capability here. It's more a show of the pros and cons of the 2 RT methods, and by the looks of the accuracy PS5 is employing the more heavier method

Edit: Yes Alex did emphasize all settings are equal between the 2 consoles, but did Remedy specifically confirm that's it's exactly the same RayTracing (considering the different hardware setup)?!
DF and NXGamer NXGamer now at IGN and few others had agreed this was a good performance test on isolated GPU, but the big but is had any of them actually looked further into these differences, by the reviews it seems not

Kingthrash Kingthrash has a keen eye, on his videos he's picked up many differences in the quality of the reflections etc. Even for HitMan3 he picked up many glaring omissions on the XSX version like whole SSR's missing amongst other things . Some may treat his videos as a joke but when he gets down to business he delivers

Last edited:

SSfox

The only thing that I remember Microsoft saying is that the I/O system only uses 1/10th if a CPU core. If true I can't imagine it ever affecting performance in games that much. But I could be remembering what they said wrong.
I think this could be true for some type of games but definitely not for all type of games.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You realize Microsoft has nothing to do with The Medium right?

The game was not funded or published by Microsoft. Its a 3rd party game.
Thank you.

Even when it comes to games Sony never lied about believing in generations. Ppl also forget that one of the main debates was the 2 year thing Matt Booty said, that many ppl twisted their brains trying to rationalize.

So far, based on what Booty said, Sony didn't lie. Demons Souls and Ratchet n Clank are proof. Destruction All-Star too AFAIK. Returnal?

They have done what they always did. MS is just doing something different.

Goncas2

On Photo Mode game logic (AI, oponents update, colission, Audio etc) are not "working".
If both system has 30fps on normal gameplay it's ~33ms. Photo mode:
XSX 18ms (55fps)
PS5 25ms (40fps)
So I can say that PS5 compute faster game logic (8ms) than XSX (15ms).
;)
That's not... how that works

This Control photo mode performance still needs debating. I've mentioned that there are many differences between XSX and PS5 that begs the question are we looking at the same implementation here, ie double reflections that Bo has shown below. Is this proof that PS5 is shooting out twice as many rays than the XSX? There are many of you here that know heck a lot more than I do on this subject, TheThreadsThatBindUs TheThreadsThatBindUs are you able to give your 2 cents??

DF and NXGamer NXGamer now at IGN and few others had agreed this was a good performance test on isolated GPU, but the big but is had any of them actually looked further into these differences, by the reviews it seems not

Kingthrash Kingthrash has a keen eye, on his videos he's picked up many differences in the quality of the reflections etc. Even for HitMan3 he picked up many glaring omissions on the XSX version like whole SSR's missing amongst other things . Some may treat his videos as a joke but when he gets down to business he delivers

I would trust an NXGamer analysis of this over any perspective I might be able to bring. I think you're right that there are clear differences in what is going on with the RT in both versions. Whether the XSX version is bugged or perhaps uses less bounces for RT reflections, I have no idea. Perhaps NXGamer NXGamer could take a look at this for a future video?

Without direct developer comment and confirmation, however, I suspect there's not much we can deduce with any clarity. The reflections on the XSX version are doing some weird things that I can't really conceive of an explanation for.

Lysandros

Yes, additionally i don't think this game plays to PS5's strengths and i am not talking about compute or RT. One of the main GPU advantages of the machine is his ability to generate and discard 20% more triangles per sec. compared to XSX. This advantage remains mostly unused in the case of Control i think since its environments are pretty basic/low polygon. Denser the geometry, smaller the triangles better PS5 will perform.

Can I just say anyone who thought Xbox was gonna be ahead by 40% typically is a fool, and more importantly anyone who uses a fool's argument as justification for shit posts is just as foolish.

Some people are saying that about Hitman 3. There's basically a 44% in resolution and higher settings on the Xbox.

But I don't really believe that represents a 40%-50% delta between the two platforms.

Also there's a big discussion now on why the PS5 is RDNA1 and not RDNA2. I believe that both systems are custom RDNA2 but what do I know I'm no expert.

assurdum

Banned
Can I just say anyone who thought Xbox was gonna be ahead by 40% typically is a fool, and more importantly anyone who uses a fool's argument as justification for shit posts is just as foolish.
Said that to Digital Foundry. Because hearing them Hitman 3 was the perfomance which Xbox fans are waiting for. If a tech site has such expectations, can you imagine a fanboy?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom