• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGs

Industry Professional
VpmLzbl.jpg
That is the difference between an architect and an interior designer.

DJTaurus

F9-CE0-DBC-E911-461-B-B5-C0-D5-C2797-E4656.jpg

So all the fud from ps ponies about infinity cache, custom rdna2/3 and zen 2.... we even heard about zen 3 bits. We are still waiting for the magical SSD to offload stuff from the cpu. And now ps5 seems to be zen1/rdna1. Pretty cool right ?.... what’s even cooler is when direct ML will be unveiled on next MS event.

This topic is dedicated to all those that didn’t fall for Cernys PR FUD and wannabe insiders like RedGaming tech. Now go play all stars for 79,99..... from next month. :p

So all the fud from ps ponies about infinity cache, custom rdna2/3 and zen 2.... we even heard about zen 3 bits. We are still waiting for the magical SSD to offload stuff from the cpu. And now ps5 seems to be zen1/rdna1. Pretty cool right ?.... what’s even cooler is when direct ML will be unveiled on next MS event.

This topic is dedicated to all those that didn’t fall for Cernys PR FUD and wannabe insiders like RedGaming tech. Now go play all stars for 79,99..... from next month. :p

Cringe.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Cringe Reaction GIF

I think it's time for all those tech "savy" tubers, analysts and forum posters to offer a sincere apology to all those people whom they misled with their FUD and retire.

Imtjnotu

case closed eddie GIF

Krisprolls

Banned

You don't understand the words you use. The only FUD was from Xbox when they said Series X was the most powerful console and now most games run better on PS5.

Nobody cares if it's RDNA 3.21 or 2.12 (what does this mean anyway ?), PS5 runs a bit better, that's all that matters.

For what it's worth, Cerny himself stated it was RDNA 2 in his slides so you can bet on it (they could be sued for millions otherwise). Though once again, it's meaningless, those are only tags, the same functions exist elsewhere with another name and we shouldn't care about that. The result is what matters.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

Cerny FUD? lol
You can’t be serious.

Seeing Mark Cerny calling AVX-512 instructions a power virus is no wonder why he removed them.

Strange decision considering he decided for Liquid Metal Cooling for PS5.

I think they explained the liquid metal was used so they wouldn't have to use a vapor chamber cooling system. From a cooling point of view the PS5 doesn't have any issues.

sircaw

Banned
All the usuals have posted under their mains now its time for their alts to come out lol.
I am still on my main, don't have an alt and die shots can fuck off and die.

I still can't get my hands on a ps5 and by the look of things, it won't be this year. CRY.
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem sell me your ps5 second hand (leave Demon souls in Disk) and then go buy yourself a series s, please. I know your a gears fan "lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:

DJTaurus

What in the die shot shows that it's RDNA1?

I guess if someone puts the shots side by side we might see a difference but they look the same to me. And having more CUs doesn't make it RDNA2 BTW.
exactly mate. That’s why i am pretty generous with 1,5. Someone could even say RDNA1. Time will tell....

Also add this into the mix:

In the Zen/Zen+ microarchitecture the floating point physical registers, execution units, and data paths are 128 bits wide. For efficiency AVX-256 instructions which perform the same operation on the 128-bit upper and lower half of a YMM register are decoded into two macro-ops which pass through the FPU individually as execution resources become available and retire together. Accordingly the peak throughput is four SSE/AVX-128 instructions or two AVX-256 instructions per cycle.

Zen 2 doubles the width of the physical registers, execution units, and data paths to 256 bits. The L1 data cache bandwidth was doubled to match. The number of micro-ops issued by the FP scheduler remains four, implying most AVX-256 instructions decode to a single macro-op which conserves queue entries and reduces pressure on RCU and scheduling resources. AMD did not disclose how the FPU was restructured. Die shots suggest two execution blocks splitting the PRF and FP ALUs, one operating on the lower 128 bits of a YMM register, executing x87, MMX, SSE, and AVX instructions, the other on the upper 128 bits for AVX-256 instructions. This improvement doubles the peak throughput of AVX-256 instructions to four per cycle, or in other words, up to 32 FLOPs/cycle in single precision or up to 16 FLOPs/cycle in double precision. Another improvement reduces the latency of double-precision vector multiplications from 4 to 3 cycles, equal to the latency of single-precision multiplications. The latency of fused multiply-add (FMA) instructions remains 5 cycles.

This is not how you start out on the forum mate. You're not going to be around here for too long if you continue in this manner.

sircaw

Banned

Trying to figure out who's main you used to be..

Did you like the Xbox packaging by chance? "lollipop_disappointed:

I think someone beat me to it, DAMMIT Kylie.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I don't think that's correct. From what Sony and Epic said this I/O design was always designed this way.

I've heard rumors of a last minute CPU/GPU upgrade but that doesn't make any sense either.
I've heard rumors that Sony had originally planned on just shipping empty boxes for $500, but then last minute they decided to add in some components.

But that doesn't make any sense either.

I've heard rumors that Sony had originally planned on just shipping empty boxes for $500, but then last minute they decided to add in some components.

The whole delay thing was mentioned by Jason. But it seems like AMD wasn't ready so Sony and Microsoft delayed the release of their systems.

Riky

$MSFT
What in the die shot shows that it's RDNA1?

I guess if someone puts the shots side by side we might see a difference but they look the same to me. And having more CUs doesn't make it RDNA2 BTW.

I wouldn't listen to any of this rubbish, AMD themselves have made it perfectly clear and I think they are probably the most reliable source for this information.

"

AMD RDNA™ 2 architecture is the foundation for next-generation PC gaming graphics, the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S and X consoles."​

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Trying to figure out who's main you used to be..

Did you like the Xbox packaging by chance? "lollipop_disappointed:

I think someone beat me to it, DAMMIT Kylie.
Guys we forgot greatwhiteshark ... he was funny , I think we should all count in how much time the shots loads by the way.

I wouldn't listen to any of this rubbish, AMD themselves have made it perfectly clear and I think they are probably the most reliable source for this information.

"

AMD RDNA™ 2 architecture is the foundation for next-generation PC gaming graphics, the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S and X consoles."​

It's of like a pizza base. Both are the same but the toppings and sauce may he different.

I don't think that Cerny and Lisa Su wouldn't call the PS5 an RDNA2 system if it wasn't true. What features that it has is still debatable though.

ABnormal

I think the die shot confirms the rumors that ps5 was built to launch @2019. Zen 1 CPU and RDNA 1 GPU is what is it is and got an upgrade on the SSD-I/O part last minute to save face.

Dreams about infinity/unified cache were destroyed today as it seems.
Performs the same or slightly better than the 12 Tf "monster" in the vast majority of next gen titles, has a more advanced I/O tech, a better 4k BD player, has Wi-Fi 6, Blue tooth 5.1, a controller with several techs inside, an efficient, silent, and economic cooling system = saving the face

I always find unbelievable how much some peole live in some personal fantasy world where things go as they hope. It's simply disconcerting. People look more to theoretical specs that they are not even able to understand, than the already actual real comparisons already done. Just unbelievable.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

"

And that is all we need.

Case closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom