• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Medium - The Complete Technical Analysis - PC | Series X | Series S

Series S has about 5GB VRAM + 2.5GB Windows + 2.5GB system CPU game memory (sound, game heap, scripts, etc.). SFS could help a bit, but 5GB sounds weak for entire gen (2027 maybe?).

His points about XSX RT reflections are interesting too. Alex Battaglia showed many missing RT reflections on XSX, but Michael goes beyond. Its not only about missing reflections, but the game uses same XSS planar reflections in some moments. RT is occasional.

Last edited:
Well, of course lol. It's 4kcb. It wouldve been interesting to see if the PS5 could manage native 4k 60 fps with 10 tflops.

The PS4 runs this game at 1080p/30 fps at 1.84 tflops. Pro runs it at 1080p/60 fps or 4kcb/30 fps at at 4.2 tflops. No matter what the framerate or resolution, it seems to scale with tflops. So they wouldve needed 7.2 tflops for native 4k 30 fps and 14.4 tflops for native 4k 60 fps, probably a bit less with the zen 2 cpu eliminating some bottlenecks here and there.

10 rdna tflops is like 15 gcn 1 tflops so it's possible, but they wouldve had to release this as a PS5 sku to get native 4k 60 fps. 4kcb 60 fps is probably very easy to do here since you could probably do that with just 8.5 tflops. wouldnt be surprised if there is a lot of headroom left for more.
It will be interesting to see some ports to have better measure, not only BC FPS unlocked.

For me, TLOU2 will be remastered. Maybe Uncharted 4 and LL too in same package. Naughty Dog could unlock 60fps in BC mode, but these games run at fixed 1440p on PS4 Pro, and probably in BC mode they couldn't put highter resolution in easy way (probably hard code).

kyliethicc

Didn't Mark Cerny say you need a minimum of 8tflops to render native 4K, that's 8 tflops in GCN.
He never said for native 4K, just 4K. And he said 8 TF of FP16 aka 4 TF of FP32. And yes he meant using PS4 GCN GPU.

For me, TLOU2 will be remastered. Maybe Uncharted 4 and LL too in same package.
lol not a fucking chance we get TLOU2 + UC4 + UCLL all remastered in 1 package. A PS5 version of TLOU2? Sure. But I doubt they bother ever enhancing Uncharted.

And I suspect removing the 30 FPS cap in their PS4 games might require a fair amount of work. They seem to really use all 33 ms to render each frame with lots of graphical effects, not sure if doing all of that in 16 ms would be easy. Of course the PS5 could run the games at 60 Hz, I just wonder if its as quick and easy as we think for ND to "just uncap the framerate."

Last edited:

SSfox

Finally started Control, played for 2 hours and it's a nice surprise thus far, it gave me some vibes of both RE/SH/MGS, i didn't like Alan Wake but this game sound great and i have good feeling it may end up great, can't wait to go back to it. I didn't like much any remedy game since Max Payne, GG remedy.

Also this remind me Max Payne 3 and how i enjoyed this game also, and that... man i hope to see more than 1 game *coughGTA6cough* from Rockstar in the new gen PS5/XSX.

He never said for native 4K, just 4K. And he said 8 TF of FP16 aka 4 TF of FP32. And yes he meant using PS4 GCN GPU.

lol not a fucking chance we get TLOU2 + UC4 + UCLL all remastered in 1 package. A PS5 version of TLOU2? Sure. But I doubt they bother ever enhancing Uncharted.

And I suspect removing the 30 FPS cap in their PS4 games might require a fair amount of work. They seem to really use all 33 ms to render each frame with lots of graphical effects, not sure if doing all of that in 16 ms would be easy. Of course the PS5 could run the games at 60 Hz, I just wonder if its as quick and easy as we think for ND to "just uncap the framerate."
You're right. My text wasn't too clear. Only UC4 and UCLL in one package. TLOU2 in other package. All games remastered, but maybe no improvements in BC mode like Spiderman.

About uncap 30fps, i suspect the same. Maybe the ND engine could not scale FPS easily. It's not a question to put much better hardware and render a frame in 16.66ms.

There's a interesting presentation in GDC 2015 i guess, Naughty Dog engineer talking about the hard job to get 60fps in TLOU1 PS4 version. Of course PS3 has a unique architeture, but i believe this hard job has something about the ND engine too. Not only the exotic PS3 hardware.

Arioco

Oj4kNe2.jpg

At long last. There will be better shots soon.

ethomaz

Banned
But the PS5 has a dedicated I/O unit. Do you think its in that same area?

WClYMga.jpg
There is a big right part of silicon not related to GPU or CPU.

If you want to compare with Series X APU that lacks that right part (that would be at bottom on Series X).

images

Or even Series S.

images

PS5 APU unknown right part is almost of the size of the Zen 2 CPU.... probably there is cache there too... Sony seems to have used a lot of silicon for that.

XVIzxWG.jpg

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hmm I hope for a better pics, because this way I see fuck all honestly....

Also I know we get it, but it would be nice to get XSX die shot, just to confirm that it looks like that, as in Hotchips...

Also when we got the XSS APU? Must have missed that

ethomaz

Banned
Hmm I hope for a better pics, because this way I see fuck all honestly....

Also I know we get it, but it would be nice to get XSX die shot, just to confirm that it looks like that, as in Hotchips...

Also when we got the XSS APU? Must have missed that
From MS Series S reveal presentation?

002.jpg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Didn't Mark Cerny say you need a minimum of 8tflops to render native 4K, that's 8 tflops in GCN.
thats just for the 1080p 30 fps games on the PS4. you need roughly 4x the power to render 4x more pixels.

in order to run a 1080p 30 fps game like gow at native 4k 60 fps, you will need 8x the power since the pixel budget would be 8x, not 4x.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
On a side note: CNN Arabic made an email interview and used my video. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Press CC for English subtitles:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom