• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You are going a bit overboard here. UHD Blu-Ray was coming in large quantities with Xbox One S, liquid metal is more expensive than thermal paste but it saves a lot of money on the heatsink so overall it is there to to reduce cost. SSD is customised but smaller ( < 1 TB) and the SSD I/O is mostly inside the main SoC and the main SoC is not gynormous (but smaller than the competition too). So, no... I do not see how we can come up with $1000 manufacturing costs per unit.
Plus there is no way in hell its a repeat of the 'PS3 bleeding massive losses on consoles' era.

They specifically called back to that time as their "Icarus" moment. They learned from that. And it looks like it paid off big time.

I think once the bill of materials gets posted for these consoles...some ppl are gonna be in for a mild shock.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Sony is probably taking loss on PS5 DE and that is why they choose to produce way less units of it compared with the normal $499 model.

Normal model is probably breaking even.

Series X is more expensive to produce than PS5: more complex PCB (more layers) due 320bits bus, dual PCB, more GDDR memory chips, more expensive APU, more expensive NAND SSD chips, etc.

Garani

Sony is probably taking loss on PS5 DE and that is why they choose to produce way less units of it compared with the normal $499 model.

Series X is more expensive to produce than PS5: more complex PCB (more layers) due 320bits bus, dual PCB, more GDDR memory chips, more expensive APU, more expensive NAND SSD chips, etc.
I don't think that the XSX costs more on the SSD side of things. They are basically using a mass market slow SSD M.2 drive. It isn't even soldered on the board.

Why tha hell GamePass cant stop them...!
FewEqualHartebeest-small.gif

:messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

It does look funny now, but give it a year or 2 and you will see things change and MS would be in a position where they not only have the best value in the market but also a significant portion of the gaming community moving over to Xbox. The competition mustn't underestimate the brand power of Xbox!

ethomaz

Banned
I don't think that the XSX costs more on the SSD side of things. They are basically using a mass market slow SSD M.2 drive. It isn't even soldered on the board.
Sony choose 12 lanes to use cheaper SSD NAND to archive 5.5GB/s.... they stated that.

The SSD controller is expensive on PS5 but the NAND are cheaper.

Last edited:
You are going a bit overboard here. UHD Blu-Ray was coming in large quantities with Xbox One S, liquid metal is more expensive than thermal paste but it saves a lot of money on the heatsink so overall it is there to to reduce cost. SSD is customised but smaller ( < 1 TB) and the SSD I/O is mostly inside the main SoC and the main SoC is not gynormous (but smaller than the competition too). So, no... I do not see how we can come up with $1000 manufacturing costs per unit.
Its a 12 channel ssd with a custom decompressor that decompresses up to 22gb/s and not with a 512mb ddr 4 cache not to even mention the io silicon on the soc! Find me a comparable ssd on pc please and yes liquid metal saves heatsink price but the heatsink is huge its not ur funny laptop heatsink is it!

The haptic features on the controller and the bluray drive is 100gb not ur silly 50gb drive on ur tiny one s.

The gpu is comparable performance ranging from a rtx 2070/5700xt to a 2080 super and this is not even funny were still comparing crossgen games wait till nextgen games come out and well reaally measure how that gpu performs

The cpu itself is comparable to a ryzen 7 3700x this on its own is 300£ in uk.

This i serious costs and its not even funny. I tried building a pc this year with ps5 specs and ended up sleeping.

Actually, i think SSD in PS5 is cheaper than SSD in XSX. Of course, alongside with less capacity. Also, PS5 using more channels, but they are slower. XSX is using faster channels, but there are less channels. And the higher the speeds you run your nand flash chips at the higher the temperature is. You would need the higher-quality chips to reliably hit those higher speeds. And also, MS is paying for Phison controllers, Sony doesn't.

And around 50% heavier copper heatsink.

jroc74

Its a 12 channel ssd with a custom decompressor that decompresses up to 22gb/s and not with a 512mb ddr 4 cache not to even mention the io silicon on the soc! Find me a comparable ssd on pc please and yes liquid metal saves heatsink price but the heatsink is huge its not ur funny laptop heatsink is it!

The haptic features on the controller and the bluray drive is 100gb not ur silly 50gb drive on ur tiny one s.

The gpu is comparable performance ranging from a rtx 2070/5700xt to a 2080 super and this is not even funny were still comparing crossgen games wait till nextgen games come out and well reaally measure how that gpu performs

The cpu itself is comparable to a ryzen 7 3700x this on its own is 300£ in uk.

This i serious costs and its not even funny. I tried building a pc this year with ps5 specs and ended up sleeping.
I see some ppl make the mistake of thinking cost less = cheap. Or less worth? Not sure how you are taking this.

When you look at everything up to now...PS5 having a low build cost is a good thing.

Like for them to switch between the disc and DE on the manufacturing, assembly line probably doesnt cost them much at all. Thats not saying its cheap, its just good business.

Last edited:
I see some ppl make the mistake of thinking cost less = cheap. Or less worth? Not sure how you are taking this.

When you look at everything up to now...PS5 having a low build cost is a good thing.

Like for them to switch between the disc and DE on the manufacturing, assembly line probably doesnt cost them much at all. Thats not saying its cheap, its just good business.
Its always good business but consoles as a commodity make losses at the start and start making profits after 2 years when silicon and memory becomes cheaper but as things stand now the scarcity of silicon and the looming cold war will make things difficult,

Sony choose 12 lanes to use cheaper SSD NAND to archive 5.5GB/s.... they stated that.

Ive never read such a stupid ridiculous completeley and utterly stupidest rubbish. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 you should try becoming a politician it really fits liers like you, like what!!!!! Your comparing an offshelf ssd on series x to a completely proprietary ssd on ps5 thats incomparable and faster than anything on the market to date with 12 chanells plus a 512mb ddr4 cache. You need some serious brain operations.! Mate

Actually, i think SSD in PS5 is cheaper than SSD in XSX. Of course, alongside with less capacity. Also, PS5 using more channels, but they are slower. XSX is using faster channels, but there are less channels. And the higher the speeds you run your nand flash chips at the higher the temperature is. You would need the higher-quality chips to reliably hit those higher speeds. And also, MS is paying for Phison controllers, Sony doesn't.
Your completely brain washed. Whatever you just wrote is completely academic nonesense! Go read why they chose 12 channels they wanted it to immitate ram. 4 channels werent enough infact you need a 7+gb ssd with 4 channels to work on the ps5 as minimum. Your talking complete fud ridiculous monkey fud.

Your completely brain washed. Whatever you just wrote is completely academic nonesense! Go read why they chose 12 channels they wanted it to immitate ram. 4 channels werent enough infact you need a 7+gb ssd with 4 channels to work on the ps5 as minimum. Your talking complete fud ridiculous monkey fud.

I'm not brainwashed. It's actually a common sense. No need to be that aggresive. Reported anyway.

jroc74

Ive never read such a stupid ridiculous completeley and utterly stupidest rubbish. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 you should try becoming a politician it really fits liers like you, like what!!!!! Your comparing an offshelf ssd on series x to a completely proprietary ssd on ps5 thats incomparable and faster than anything on the market to date with 12 chanells plus a 512mb ddr4 cache. You need some serious brain operations.! Mate

Have to say you might have to look in the mirror.

There has been countless discussions on the specs long before the consoles came out. I'll take informed opinions over whatever you're throwing out.

Lets revisit these posts when the bill of materials get posted,

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That is own Sony words... sorry.
With 12 lanes they uses slower and cheaper NAND module that nobody is using anymore... so they can get a mass contract even better.

Last edited:
Have to say you might have to look in the mirror.

There has been countless discussions on the specs long before the consoles came out. I'll take informed opinions over whatever you're throwing out.
Yeah and theres been countless talks from developers and engineers about the ps5s ssd being the biggest revolution since 3d and the fastest drive on the market, infact up until now there is no ssd that can be compatible to ps5 because none on the market have enough speed. 🤣 So take it how u want it.

ethomaz

Banned
Where are this words can you show them! Show me where 12 channels are cheaper than 4 and that series x ssd is more expensive than ps5 and has faster channels. Please show me id love to be wrong.
You should really miss some part of the brain lol
I never said 12 lanes are cheaper than 4 lanes.
I said the NAND modules are cheaper because they don't need high clocked NAND parts due the 12 lanes.
The biggest cost of the SSD come from the NAND and they are cheaper on PS5 because Sony wanted a cheap solution.

When Cerny was asked about the 12 lanes...

"We can look at the available NAND flash parts and construct something with optimal price performance. Someone constructing an M.2 drive presumably does not have that freedom, it would be difficult to market and sell if it were not one of those standard sizes,"

They choose to build a 12 lanes because it was cheaper than reach 5.5GB/s with 4 lanes that requires very fast and expensive NAND modules.

Last edited:
Gigabytes also costs dollars. Slower lanes also costs dollars, faster lanes also costs dollars and so on.
Where did they say 12 chanels are slower than 4 and less expensive, they chose 825gb because it was ligical otherwise they would have been forced to use 1.6 terabytes. So your spreading academic fud complete professorial fud comparing series x offshelf ssd to ps5s is herecy infact not even a single pc ssd is comparable to ps5 until perhaps later this year. So to say series x ssd is more expensive is extremely comedic.

You should really miss some part of the brain lol
I never said 12 lanes are cheaper than 4 lanes.
I said the NAND modules are cheaper because they don't need high clocked NAND parts due the 12 lanes.
The biggest cost of the SSD come from the NAND and they are cheaper on PS5 because Sony wanted a cheap solution.

When Cerny was asked about the 12 lanes...

"We can look at the available NAND flash parts and construct something with optimal price performance. Someone constructing an M.2 drive presumably does not have that freedom, it would be difficult to market and sell if it were not one of those standard sizes,"

They choose to build a 12 lanes because it was cheaper than reach 5.5GB/s with 4 lanes that requires very fast and expensive NAND modules.
That doesnt mean its cheap you just interpreted it your own way.

ethomaz

Banned
Where did they say 12 chanels are slower than 4 and less expensive, they chose 825gb because it was ligical otherwise they would have been forced to use 1.6 terabytes. So your spreading academic fud complete professorial fud comparing series x offshelf ssd to ps5s is herecy infact not even a single pc ssd is comparable to ps5 until perhaps later this year. So to say series x ssd is more expensive is extremely comedic.
You can't be that obtuse.

12 x 100Mhz = 1200Mhz
4 x 300Mhz = 1200Mhz

Which one is cheaper? A 100Mhz module or a 300Mhz module?

That doesnt mean its cheap you just interpreted it your own way.
Yeap.... that is why they choose very old, slow and cheap parts for it custom SSD lol
If they use the actual fast and expensive NAND available in actual SSDs with 12 lanes then they could reach double the speed and not just 5.5GB/s.

For 5.5GB/s with 12 lanes you need modules that delivery at least 460MB/s... so you can use 5120MB/s (12x) or 1GB/s modules (6x).
For 5.5GB/s with 4 lanes you need modules that delivery at least 1375MB/s.... so at least 1.5GB/s modules (4x).

There is a high cost difference between these modules.
The Sony goal is to use module that are not being used by the industry... so make better contracts because the foundries won't find place to sell them.

Last edited:

skit_data

God, you are like the monarchjt of sony fanboys

AS i said i might have read him wrong and you sound disturbed jumping and calling people fanboys just because they arent fantasising with ur ideas. Infact it takes a fanboy to know one so you must be the mother of all xbox fanboys. Likewise

Watch out fellas, soon you will be called Xbox fanboys too. Also i hope monarchjt will forgive me, he really didnt deserve to be compared to abel

So sad. LOL
As ethomaz ethomaz gave you an examle in previous post ( little correction, PS5 SSD has a 6 priority lanes/12 channel flash interface) Anyway :

Speed and most importantly, cost.

PS5 has 12 channels, you can get away with using nand chips that are cheaper than what you would typically find in say the XSX. The XSX is using a 4 channel SSD. This means each of its nand flash chips need to be hitting around 600MB/s for it to hit those raw 2.4GB/s speeds. The PS5 chips average around 450MB/s each.

Then there is the RAM. Faster SSD means you need less RAM.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I belived gt7 was early 2021 release. Trailer looks almost same as gt sport so same engine but with dynamic daytime probably and some rt, most cars already has higher polycount version that they can use and also ps5 is very similar to ps4 so no more situation like earlier when they had to create new engine from scratch and redo all cars. Now I really hope for full psvr2 support in whole game not just gimmick mode.
yeah it almost looked cross gen so i supposed 2021 was a possibility. but as soon as they skipped the September PS5 event, i knew they were in trouble given PD's awful history.

People usually get things wrong, they didnt cheap out last gen, they had 8gb systems which was the target and bigger cpus + ssds werent needed at the time judging by the constant 1080p games from ps4 and the industry standard games like last 2, tsushima, the order, uncharted 4 i think sony delivered on their promise and target its microsoft who fucked up with tv tv tv and a smaller gpu that led to 720p-900p games without any blockbuster games comparable to ps4. So i dont think they failed that gen atleast sony didnt. Consoles always make losses at first both companies have a sub 500$ mark to fit everything in a console and they delivered,

This gen is the same thing they are already making losses n i bet sony is making bigger losses for having a faster proprietary ssd than any out there, liquid metal cooling, bigger cpu, haptic feedback tech on controller. Mate they even had rdna 2 on thiss consoles tech that wasnt out on pcs yet even the ssd tech isnt there on pcs yet. But sony are making a bigger bet as usual theyve gone back to ps3 days where they make a super proprietary gaming machine to bet on the blockbuster games that their internal studios and big triple a studios would make for it. Only the future will tell. I personally think they released both machines way too early and they are relying on customer habit momentum for sales.. it explains the lower series x sales if i was microsoft id have learnt my lesson by now and released series x with a proper nextgen game like halo infinite to boost sales and to make a statement that we are back! But instead they relied on empty tech marketing without anything to show for. People arent interested in bc and playing lastgen games at higher fps and resolutions they want cgi looking nextgen games with new incredible game mechanics to freshen things up, bc and crossgen are just needed for the sake of it. I think sonys plan of releasing ps5 in 2020 forced microsoft to rush series x as well. Though id personally liked them to release holliday 2021 when theyve had time to fix all bugs and realese strongly with games like demon souls, halo infinite, ratchet n clank to show off the new hardware. Not crossgen fucking yakuza and control to run around corridors.
I couldnt disagree more with the notion that cpus werent needed. They limited last gen to basically be a prettier version of the ps360 era. the ram allowed everything to be open world, but thats about it. no destruction, no NPC upgrades, a complete lack of innovation in general. games were 1080p yes, but at 30 fps. 60 fps was out of the question.

I also think MS probably released the better console of the two. Do we really need a 5.5 GBps ssd? The load times seem to be pretty much on par between the two machines so far. Xbox Series X has finally started to win faceoffs and by massive margins way beyond the 18% tflops difference suggest. Lazy devs? maybe. But cant expect lazy devs to not be lazy.

Where MS fucked up was releasing two consoles. That probably limited the supply chain. But despite all that they are sold out everywhere. That tells me thats it a supply not a demand issue. Even if they had released a Halo Infinite next gen only version at launch, it probably wouldnt have sold more because they dont have anymore consoles to sell. You could argue that Sony sold almost 8 million so MS should be able to and I'd agree. A big company like MS shouldve been able to keep up with Sony's supply chains, but again i think the fault is with their reluctance to go with a single SKU.

ethomaz

Banned
Just to add a bit more.

PS5 uses Toshiba BiCS4 96-Layer 3D TLC NAND.
SN500 uses SanDisk BiCS4 96L 3D TLC NAND.

The speeds can go from 400MTs to 800MT/s (or even more).

Last edited:
Back on the topic of game releases, I don't think you can ignore how much of an impact COVID is having on game production. Sans COVID, Sony would have a very strong 2021, with Gran Turismo and God of War sticking to their 2021 release windows, in addition to third-party releases that also wouldn't have been delayed like Hogwarts Legacy or Gotham Knights. However, we're not in that reality. Vaccines are still coming out. Millions are still working from home. Until late summer, we'll probably start to see some devs go back into their offices in the States, but Sony is an international business and have a lot of partners outside of North America. It's gonna take awhile for the games industry to kick it into full gear again, so we're gonna have to be patient about it. Regardless, it remains quite incredible that Sony is shipping several blockbuster games for 2021 (and yes that includes Returnal lol. It's a small team but it's basically a big-budget AA game, or a light AAA game so to speak). We're going to eat good this year and things will be even more packed in 2022.

SlimySnake

- TLOU2 factions
- Naughty dogs next major project, presumably a new IP
- A Remedy exclusive game
- A second Housemarque AAA game
- A MGS remake by Bluepoint
- Some form of Silent Hill project that Sony's still involved in
- An Arrowhead AAA game
- Another project with From Soft
- WiLD
- Project Awakening
- Granblue Fantasy Relink
- FF16
- Forspoken
- A second project by Guerrilla Games
- Cory Barlogs rumored other project
- Bends next project
- The inevitable Spiderman 2 game
- Astrobot 2
- second San Diego team
- Ghost of Tsushima sequel
- Havens project with Sony
If we get all this in the next two years or even some of this then great. But I am not putting my trust in the rumor machine. Especially these fabled "second" projects that have wound up getting cancelled in the past before they are even announced. For example, the San Diego team was supposedly working on a launch window game since they started up the studio in 2017. So far absolutely nothing. Not a single screenshot. If we believe rumors, their project was cancelled and a bunch of people left. so three years of work with nothing to show.

Besides, those second projects by SSM, GG, Bluepoint and ND were exactly what James and I were asking for. Multiple teams within Sony studios instead of going out there wasting billions buying studios that wouldve released games on their console anyway. So you basically agree with what we were saying.

Lastly, I dont really want sequels. I actually hate that Nintendo is still forcing its devs to make Mario and Zelda. That MS is forcing devs to make Halo and Gears. What I am saying is that Sony has cut ties with so many of those studios that made playstation playstation that it makes me question if they still care about ps fans. Now again, if they turn around and release all those new games you have listed from SOny's first party studios then great. But I just dont see ND, SSM, GG and Bluepoint turning around and releasing another AAA game just a year after launching their last game. especially since it is taking them longer than ever to release even a single game.

SlimySnake

Actually no.

In vast majority of games XSX didn't showed almost 2TF difference in games ( that includes fps advantage, graphicall and resolution advantage - all in 1)
read that sentence again. im not talking about the vast majority of games. I literally said it's "started to" implying that recently its begun to win most face/offs by big margins. Hitman was the first, but before we could say it was an anomaly several other face/offs showed a massive difference. Avengers, Tony Hawk, Control's photomode showing just how powerful the GPU is hitting 50+ fps on a regular basis. Some of it is lazy devs or stupid devs in the case of Nixxes who apparently thought checkerboarding looked better than native, but you cant deny that xbox has been outperforming the ps5 recently.

ToadMan

sports games are AAA now? since when? is madden 19 AAA?

It might seem counterintuitive but by the usual concepts of marketing, resources allocated, sales and critical reception MLB is (or perhaps better to say has been) AAA. So are all the big ticket sports games - FIFA, NBA and Madden.

So is COD.

So unless you wish to invent some new terminology for these types of yearly games then AAA is about the best term.

Last edited:

Hashi

It does look funny now, but give it a year or 2 and you will see things change and MS would be in a position where they not only have the best value in the market but also a significant portion of the gaming community moving over to Xbox. The competition mustn't underestimate the brand power of Xbox!
And if Sony will make 15USD/month rental service for games, then what?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

I believe what is true cost sucker is XSS, but definitely XSX must be really expesive to produce, I mean just the amount of machine aluminium definitely not going to be cheap.

Just to add a bit more.

PS5 uses Toshiba BiCS4 96-Layer 3D TLC NAND.
SN500 uses SanDisk BiCS4 96L 3D TLC NAND.

The speeds can go from 400MTs to 800MT/s (or even more).
SN500 chips are in Xbox? (just a question, I am not really knowledgable in this regard)

Last edited:

Hashi

Those lines are used for SSD 6 priority levels
;)

But its true that they used cheaper (lower bandwidth) dies, and make next gen SSD.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Those lines are used for SSD 6 priority levels
;)
I'm no sure because the priority levels are customized in NVMe protocol on SSD controller and not related to how many lanes it has.
NVME 1.4 have 4 priority levels but it can be customized by vendor do added more priority levels.

"All controllers shall support the round robin command arbitration mechanism. A controller may optionally implement weighted round robin with urgent priority class and/or a vendor specific arbitration mechanism."

Just to explain a bit more the Round Robin command arbitration has no priority. The Weighed Round Robin with urgent priority class has 4 priority levels (Urgent, High, Medium, or Low) and the vendor specific is what the vendor wants.

I mean the Sony 6 priority levels will works with expanded SSD with way less lanes too.
Priority levels is a custom thing in the SDD Controller NVME protocol.

Last edited:
It is holding back the generation every time a developer spends time and money changing their game to support that piece of shit.

Let's try it this way, if a developer makes a game and is hellbent in having it run on the switch, would you then see it as holding back? If that makes sense, then you should have no problem admitting the xss acts as a similar type of damper. The good thing is it doesn't really sell very much, so there's a higher probability devs won't even bother and that console dies once and for all.
Perhaps the problem is you have no idea what the XSS is capable of if you think the Switch and XSS are similar in performance. What technical features(VRR, Raytracing, SFS) does the XSX, or PS5 for that matter, have that the XSS does not? The GDK that MS created allows for simultaneous creation of software across the PC, XSX and XSS platforms. There is zero chance that MS or any 3rd party dev will choose to just not make a XSS version of a game but make one for the XSX. There is a high probability that the XSS will be supported the entire generation and be the most affordable entry way in to console gaming this generation. No emotional outburst will change that reality. The good thing is that as devs and MS work together the difficulties with XSS optimization will be overcome especially when they take full advantage of what the console can do.

Hashi

I'm no sure because the priority levels are customized in NVMe protocol on SSD controller and not related to how many lanes it has.
NVME 1.4 have 4 priority levels but it can be customized by vendor do added more priority levels.

"All controllers shall support the round robin command arbitration mechanism. A controller may optionally implement weighted round robin with urgent priority class and/or a vendor specific arbitration mechanism."

Just to explain a bit more the Round Robin command arbitration has no priority. The Weighed Round Robin with urgent priority class has 4 priority levels (Urgent, High, Medium, or Low) and the vendor specific is what the vendor wants.

I mean the Sony 6 priority levels will works with expanded SSD with way less lanes too.
Priority levels is a custom thing in the SDD Controller NVME protocol.
PS5 solution is more hardware than software. U have 12 lines, 6 dies and 6 levels. U can attach specific tasks to specific die on motherboard and that solution will always be a little more efficient than logical (all) data addressation on single die..
Thats why other SSD need to be faster raw.
I'm just guessing.
Logical data structure on drive is something really deeeeep.
PS. One die can be used fully for PS5 system (128GB). Thats example.

Last edited:

Derift

1) for R&C I'd do anything. Into the nexus is a great game.
2) I already have Dreams.... :(

So, MS buying Discord and Zenimax is not a problem, but Sony buying Crunchyroll is. Go figure.
Sony buying crunchy roll would really be a monopoly after already owning funimation I can't really think of another anime provider

Hashi

Sony buying crunchy roll would really be a monopoly after already owning funimation I can't really think of another anime provider
If some fan of Playstation that buy Bethseda Games for 15 years and spend a lot of money for games, and that money build studios.. should have money refund from Microsoft/Bethseda?
Thats hard philosophical question :pie_thinking:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom