• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Blaster

It does look funny now, but give it a year or 2 and you will see things change and MS would be in a position where they not only have the best value in the market but also a significant portion of the gaming community moving over to Xbox. The competition mustn't underestimate the brand power of Xbox!
Expected a '/s' but never came...

More like 'brand power of Gamepass', I can see it replacing Xbox as the 'platform' in the near future.

dcmk7

Banned
Perhaps the problem is you have no idea what the XSS is capable of if you think the Switch and XSS are similar in performance. What technical features(VRR, Raytracing, SFS) does the XSX, or PS5 for that matter, have that the XSS does not? The GDK that MS created allows for simultaneous creation of software across the PC, XSX and XSS platforms. There is zero chance that MS or any 3rd party dev will choose to just not make a XSS version of a game but make one for the XSX. There is a high probability that the XSS will be supported the entire generation and be the most affordable entry way in to console gaming this generation. No emotional outburst will change that reality. The good thing is that as devs and MS work together the difficulties with XSS optimization will be overcome especially when they take full advantage of what the console can do.
With your track record. This has suddenly become highly likely.

They will ditch kinect right after Nintendo ditches their tablet on the Wii U as in never. The Kinect is the only thing that makes the X1 stand apart from the PS4. Are you guys really saying you are willing to pay the same for a weaker PS4? I highly doubt it.

They need to keep kinect but eat the cost, add more bonuses to X Live, add in some pack in titles or all/some of the above. Them dropping kinect would cost them so much more since they already spent tons in R&D. Kinect isn't going anywhere.

The Dark One

Another prediction
This is flatly untrue. I'll bet you GAF gold the XSX will launch with exclusive software. If the hardware comes out with no games I'll buy you GAF gold. You game?

Keep up the good work.

yeah it almost looked cross gen so i supposed 2021 was a possibility. but as soon as they skipped the September PS5 event, i knew they were in trouble given PD's awful history.

I couldnt disagree more with the notion that cpus werent needed. They limited last gen to basically be a prettier version of the ps360 era. the ram allowed everything to be open world, but thats about it. no destruction, no NPC upgrades, a complete lack of innovation in general. games were 1080p yes, but at 30 fps. 60 fps was out of the question.

I also think MS probably released the better console of the two. Do we really need a 5.5 GBps ssd? The load times seem to be pretty much on par between the two machines so far. Xbox Series X has finally started to win faceoffs and by massive margins way beyond the 18% tflops difference suggest. Lazy devs? maybe. But cant expect lazy devs to not be lazy.

Where MS fucked up was releasing two consoles. That probably limited the supply chain. But despite all that they are sold out everywhere. That tells me thats it a supply not a demand issue. Even if they had released a Halo Infinite next gen only version at launch, it probably wouldnt have sold more because they dont have anymore consoles to sell. You could argue that Sony sold almost 8 million so MS should be able to and I'd agree. A big company like MS shouldve been able to keep up with Sony's supply chains, but again i think the fault is with their reluctance to go with a single SKU.

disagree with your better hardware comment

PS5 still comes out on top in most face offs. One or two outliers of a last gen game dont change that, tbh.

the SSD is a bigger deal in the grand scheme of things, and Sony designed a cheaper console that could be produced more in volume. A win win all around imho

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You realise you have linked something that targets Enterprise users, right?
Well that guy who you reacted to said that R&D money for kinect did not get lost, if I understand that correctly, so it seems to me that it's true. If I understood it incorrectly then please proceed in the discussion without me. Let's say I am dealing now with ear infection and I have bad hearing : )

Some of these dudes went full fanboy.

Never go full fanboy.

You don't buy that, ask TheGreatWhiteShark.
family guy shark GIF

He's busy going after hairy legs.

Th

And of course this fanboy would be there:

Lol. Good PS5 news = let's fight them!!!

This isn't an entire hardware block dedicated to texture streaming that we're talking about, like those people in the tweets above are trying to make it seem. These are custom filters dedicated to streaming built into already existing hardware and if I could hazard a guess, I would say it's inside the Texture Mapping Units(TMU's). These guys are trying to make the SFS feature look more special than it actually is. VRS has been seen providing a 10-15% improvement in performance where it's used and i doubt it can go beyond that. But these people are literally so illiterate that sometimes I don't know if they're trolling or are being serious.

Further clarification from Jason. Question was asked by me

Yeah but:

1) You cannot use SF for all textures calls because still have a cost, they mention that here:
https://microsoft.github.io/DirectX-Specs/d3d/SamplerFeedback.html

So is not like you only will have the perfect amount memory only good enough to be better than its last feature (tiled resources)

2) As the most of the people has not a technical background they really believe all the new recent AAA titles in the last couple of years didn't use any
virtual texture technique, so the numbers some fanboys use like "this will duplicate the memory" are not close to the reality because basically
all modern engines use Virtual Texture.

3)As the delta in flops can favor XSX against PS5 in part of the process of rendering in the same way the huge delta in streaming bandwidth of the SSD
and other things like Cache Scrubbers favor the PS5 in the memory side, things like streaming pool can be smaller in PS5 compare to XSX.

If some start give you numbers is 99% a lie because first that person needs both Dev kits and break a couple of NDAs in order to get those numbers.

Also I want to talk again the tiled resources, check video and tell me this video doesn't sound so good that you can think wow this technology will make
Xbox one destroy PS4 but we know what happen later.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Feedback buffers have existed in software for decades now.... RAGE used them for the 360 disk drive ffs!
The question really is whether SFS truly utilizes some RDNA 2 hardware or not.

They are pretty vague about it; but for now this is only DX12U and that's only supported on RDNA2 from an AMD perspective.

Would be very not-AMD like to not support a software feature on older hardware.

But of course we have no clue if this isn't something PS5 got and their APIs are going to access as well.

Why we need random dipshit fanboys from twitter nonsense posted here is beyond me though.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well that guy who you reacted to said that R&D money for kinect did not get lost, if I understand that correctly, so it seems to me that it's true. If I understood it incorrectly then please proceed in the discussion without me. Let's say I am dealing now with ear infection and I have bad hearing : )
You are right, but they were talking more in regards to the XBO console AFAIK.

Either way its funny, lol.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
read that sentence again. im not talking about the vast majority of games. I literally said it's "started to" implying that recently its begun to win most face/offs by big margins. Hitman was the first, but before we could say it was an anomaly several other face/offs showed a massive difference. Avengers, Tony Hawk, Control's photomode showing just how powerful the GPU is hitting 50+ fps on a regular basis. Some of it is lazy devs or stupid devs in the case of Nixxes who apparently thought checkerboarding looked better than native, but you cant deny that xbox has been outperforming the ps5 recently.
Let's be honest: the vast of majority of the games are enhanced via patch. And we are talking of a single graphic setting mode at higher res, nothing more (Tony 120 FPS mode, Avenger perfomance mode) such superiority is not so devastating in all the graphic mode. Anyway series X will continue to have bigger advantage over ps5 in the crossgen titles. It's the normality considered is virtual coded based. But I suspect going further such superiority won't be even so apparent. Maybe higher res natively could remain in many games but the question how much is important when even native 1800p is quite tough to reveal without native pixels count.

Last edited:

Hashi

For me is little strange feelin' that PS5 disk can stream about ~ (from 150 to) 300MiB per frame (per frame) and thats a half of capacity of CD-ROM (650-700MiB) - PSOne 1994
:pie_thinking:
If someone told me that 20 years ago I...

From CDROM (Sony/Philips) to SSD Flash (Toshiba)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
disagree with your better hardware comment

PS5 still comes out on top in most face offs. One or two outliers of a last gen game dont change that, tbh.

the SSD is a bigger deal in the grand scheme of things, and Sony designed a cheaper console that could be produced more in volume. A win win all around imho
EDIT: Ignore this post. I was mistaken. snc reminded me that the gap is only 16% on average. For some reason i only remembered the comparison where the xsx hits 58 fps.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
I can write off Hitman, Avengers and Tony Hawk, but the one that gives me pause is the control photo mode benchmark. It could mean two things. 1) The Xbox GPU is being held back by some kind of bottleneck in the CPU, RAM or I/O because that massive photo mode difference isnt translating into gameplay. 2) The PS5 isnt performing as well as it should be.

I ran a lot of tests on Control's photo mode on my PC and it was behaving more or less the same in gameplay as it did in photomode. I saw the same drops during gameplay and photomode, and i saw GPU usage max out in photomode just like it does during gameplay. so it's not like photomode doesnt utilize the GPU when its not in gameplay.

Control is an important benchmark because its pretty much the only game that pushes physics and CPU utilization which should be the norm in next gen only titles. Because of this, I do wonder if the PS5 will keep up like it did during the launch games. I think RE8 while being cross gen might be another title that ends up showing a big difference. I wouldnt be surprised if they go checkerboard vs native like they did with RE3 last gen on the pro and x1x. I guess we will find out next month.

lHhPGbN.gif

Last edited:
Perhaps the problem is you have no idea what the XSS is capable of if you think the Switch and XSS are similar in performance. What technical features(VRR, Raytracing, SFS) does the XSX, or PS5 for that matter, have that the XSS does not? The GDK that MS created allows for simultaneous creation of software across the PC, XSX and XSS platforms. There is zero chance that MS or any 3rd party dev will choose to just not make a XSS version of a game but make one for the XSX. There is a high probability that the XSS will be supported the entire generation and be the most affordable entry way in to console gaming this generation. No emotional outburst will change that reality. The good thing is that as devs and MS work together the difficulties with XSS optimization will be overcome especially when they take full advantage of what the console can do.
I never said the xss and the switch are equal in performance. I used it as an easy to grasp example as to why supporting that console inherently limits what can be achieved for the entire generation.
Don't tell me about ray tracing on the xss, let's even see if they can run any proper AAA next gen game at a playable framerate first.

It's my sincere opinion that console (xss) is a turd that will be stinking the entire generation, or until 3rd parties (or MS) realize nobody is buying it and finally kill it. Afaik the sales of that thing are pretty low compared to the main one, but feel free to correct me otherwise.

Yeah but:

1) You cannot use SF for all textures calls because still have a cost, they mention that here:
https://microsoft.github.io/DirectX-Specs/d3d/SamplerFeedback.html

So is not like you only will have the perfect amount memory only good enough to be better than its last feature (tiled resources)

2) As the most of the people has not a technical background they really believe all the new recent AAA titles in the last couple of years didn't use any
virtual texture technique, so the numbers some fanboys use like "this will duplicate the memory" are not close to the reality because basically
all modern engines use Virtual Texture.

3)As the delta in flops can favor XSX against PS5 in part of the process of rendering in the same way the huge delta in streaming bandwidth of the SSD
and other things like Cache Scrubbers favor the PS5 in the memory side, things like streaming pool can be smaller in PS5 compare to XSX.

if some start give you numbers is 99% a lie because first that person needs both Dev kits and break a couple of NDA in order to get those numbers.

Also I want to talk again the tiled resources, check video and tell me this video doesn't sound so good that you can think wow this technology will make
Xbox one destroy PS4 but we know what happen later.

I understand where you're trying to lead me to Metroid don't worry, you can rest assured that I've already gotten pretty acquainted with some of the specifics of SFS, at least from some of the reading i've done on the matter. Regarding point number 1, I've already hazarded a guess that SFS extends upon the tiled resources offered by D3D12 a long time ago and fixes or at least tries to fix some limitations that were present before while introducing some of its own.

With regards to number 2, Microsoft said that in order to produce the same results SFS gives, one would need 2.5-3x the storage bandwidth in order to brute force it. So let's say that SFS helps stream 600 MBs of assets in any given second, if you were to do it without SFS you'd need storage that offers at least a speed 1500 MB per Second to achieve the same result. With SFS the bandwidth efficiency is improved so it needs less to bandwidth to achieve a specific result.

Now the PS5 can just as easily achieve that as the I/O block is beyond capable of doing what SFS does in its own way using a different approach. So Xbox has the custom SFS filters in hardware and PS5 has the I/O, they can both possibly lead to the same outcome using radically different approaches. Primitive Shaders and Mesh Shaders both push towards the same end goal, but the approaches they take towards achieving that end goal are radically different. As to Which one's superior, I'd say neither, as they're both unique in their own ways.

Some hardcore fanboys try to push this narrative that SFS somehow magically doubles or triples the speed offered by the ssd, but this isn't some magical, out of this world hardware that bends the laws of physics and engineering and that's just... not how things work. It just doubles or triples the bandwidth efficiency meaning it uses less and requires less to reach the streaming end goal.
One doesn't have to necessarily say that one's superior than the other, only that they do things differently and it just works hopefully when you need it to.

The delta isn't as big as some people try to make it seem. At least it won't manifest with remasters of previous gen games as the engines haven't yet been adapted to make use of most of the powerful new features offered by either of these two consoles and it's possible that it'll stay that way for a while longer. For now though, we'll only see a glimpse of those features in use by exclusives and perhaps even Battlefield 6. Hopefully, as EA is known to aim very high up, pretty early on.

Last edited:

reksveks

I never said the xss and the switch are equal in performance. I used it as an easy to grasp example as to why supporting that console inherently limits what can be achieved for the entire generation.
Don't tell me about ray tracing on the xss, let's even see if they can run any proper AAA next gen game at a playable framerate first.

It's my sincere opinion that console (xss) is a turd that will be stinking the entire generation, or until 3rd parties (or MS) realize nobody is buying it and finally kill it. Afaik the sales of that thing are pretty low compared to the main one, but feel free to correct me otherwise.
Do you think that the series s is worse than pc (the average pc) than holding back the game design?

Do you think that the series s is worse than pc (the average pc) than holding back the game design?
Let's put it this way, PC gaming is negatively impacted by many things, one of them being the fact that games have to run on windows in the first place :messenger_tears_of_joy:

One thing about PC gaming is that every new game has a minimum and optimum spec to run a given game. This forces people to upgrade every other year if they buy cheap parts.

As many AAA games are built for consoles in the first place and then ported to PC, the entire generation is kind of stuck to the lowest common denominator. So even if an average PC build nowadays would perform on par with the xss, you have to think this gen has literally just started. We're looking at 7 more years of experiences that normally would require running on this console.

I say normally because I really hope people will be smart enough to avoid that console and we can raise the baseline, by forcing this xss into unsupported territory. Which can happen if the sales are insignificant enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom