• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
Tony Hawks 1 & 2 Remaster is 120fps 1080p on PS5, but 120fps 1440p on XSX, does this have anything to do with the fact XSX supports 1440p resolution natively, or another reason? 🤔
If they support 4k 60fps then it fell weird to not have 1440p 120fps.

I mean I can understand a 1800p60 and 1080p120 combo but the actual makes no sense.

Unless the 4k60fps have big drops but people are saying it is smooth.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Going by the blurry visuals, it probably would have been better to skip the CB and go with lower native res. The images would be crisper even though the stat sheet would show a lower res.
Yup, just give that shit dynamic res without CB and it would look way better. Probably wouldn't be much lower natively.

Rea

Yes... there is no native/fixed mode in Miles Morales.... all of them drops resolution... it is just that the 30fps one holds 4k most of time but can drop do 1512p (DF tests) when the temporal injection kicks in.

I’m with you I don’t thing when the imagine is 4k native there is any way to inject temporal pixels.
Afew things to clarify, john from DF never mentioned that the resolution in Fidelity mode can drop to 1500p, the only mode which can drop to that resolution is the performance mode, he even said that in rare case it can drop to 1440p.
Also, in the game menu when you choose the graphics mode, you can see Insomniac mentioned that they use " Temporal techniques for based 4k resolution " in fidelity mode.
Timestamped.

bj5cy30.jpg

ethomaz

Banned
Afew things to clarify, john from DF never mentioned that the resolution in Fidelity mode can drop to 1500p, the only mode which can drop to that resolution is the performance mode, he even said that in rare case it can drop to 1440p.
Also, in the game menu when you choose the graphics mode, you can see Insomniac mentioned that they use " Temporal techniques for based 4k resolution " in fidelity mode.
Timestamped.

bj5cy30.jpg

They did in the article... the 4k 30fps mode drops to 1512p but it is very rare.

Edit - Or maybe I’m confusing with Spider-man remaster.

Last edited:

Rea

They did in the article... the 4k 30fps mode drops to 1512p but it is very rare.
Hmm, they say different things in the video and write another things in the article. I didn't know coz i never read article.
But in my opinion, temporal techniques is not just for upsampling, they can still be used for 4k based resolution for anti aliasing.

ethomaz

Banned
Hmm, they say different things in the video and write another things in the article. I didn't know coz i never read article.
But in my opinion, temporal techniques is not just for upsampling, they can still be used for 4k based resolution for anti aliasing.
I think I confused the articles... the listed drop happens on the same mode on Spider-man remaster on PS5.

Said that you can use temporal injection as AA.

Rea

I think I confused the articles... the listed drop happens on the same mode on Spider-man remaster on PS5.

Said that you can use temporal injection as AA.

I was talking about Miles Morales "only", lol. 😅
I don't know about spider man remaster.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

This might not apply to this, I havent followed the conversation....but this happens alot. It's why I recommend reading their articles and watching their videos.

The video will usually have extra stuff not in the article. Even tho its about the same subject.

Rea

This might not apply to this, I havent followed the conversation....but this happens alot. It's why I recommend reading their articles and watching their videos.

The video will usually have extra stuff not in the article. Even tho its about the same subject.
Actually i already check their article, they said the same thing,

"Of course, RT comes with a requisite hit to performance, so what does this mean for the rest of the presentation? Well, the fidelity mode delivers a native 4K output at 30 frames per second, which is combined with Insomniac's brilliant temporal upscaling solution for a supremely crisp image. You wouldn't think this is necessary at 4K, but this combination eliminates most aliasing and there is a tangible boost in clarity across the game when compared to PlayStation 4."

I don't like to read articles and personally prefer watching video and listening. They should be consistent with their YouTube videos and articles. Otherwise it could be misleading to the audience.

Before this, they said both consoles were 1080p 120fps, so this to me seems more of a marketing tactic. 🤔

I was thinking more along the lines of false marketing. If the PS5 can't output 1440P then you can't market your game as such. Even if you have a 1440P monitor the PS5 will just output it as a 1080P image.

I'm just wondering if this is a general thing with PS5 games.

I know Demon Souls is rendered at 1440P for the quality mode but it isn't marketed with that resolution if I'm not wrong.

SubZer0

Banned
You just linked to Insomniac's interview..

From that interview:

They are just saying they take 2 slightly more than half-frames to create a full 4k image (since each half frame would be slightly more than 2k.) That's what they mean by 4k image..

You guys are making no sense.. like what are you even trying to say? Why in the world would you render something in native, and then completely replace it with a different image?

It really doesn't matter since it's gorgeous lol.. but seriously, why are NXGamer and DF the authorities on Insomoniac's technique when they themselves explain it involves rendering slightly more than half the pixels per frame?
make no guesses read it properly and you will see that insomniacs temporal injection technique works simliar like TAA via temporal reconstruction

t1Mmvdj.jpg

Here is a brief description how TAA works

p1FNhcf.jpg

"TAA works by comparing neighboring frames (temporally) and blending them to create a cleaner image in motion"

So is it possible to apply to an native 4k image TAA? Yes of course its pretty common on PC!
Would you say an native 4k image with TAA (for AA) isnt native 4k anymore?

Its fine if you dont belive them you dont have to, but for me its an easy choice whom i believe between you and them (DF & NX Gamer)
They are Tech Savvy and were more often right than wrong i think

on the other hand, you only make assumptions based on your opinion

Last edited:
I don't know where to ask this.

It is possible for a PS4 game shipped today, to include PS5 features like 4k resolution without a patch, I mean, included in the disk?

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Sony’s Deal for Anime Platform Crunchyroll Faces Uncertainty (Report)

Tech website The Information reported that the U.S. Justice Department has extended its anti-trust review into the deal. The move could delay completion of the deal by as much as six months, or even derail it completely.

Thanks Dementia Joe. 😏

Barakov

ethomaz

Banned
I don't know where to ask this.

It is possible for a PS4 game shipped today, to include PS5 features like 4k resolution without a patch, I mean, included in the disk?
Yes.

It was supposed to all game gone gold after July 8 to already have PS5 support added without patch.

Take in mind that is the PS5 BC mode... not an actual native PS5 game.

Last edited:

LiquidRex

And your point is?

The resolution you see on those images is what each console uses to render the game internally. When it's time to send to your tv set, a scaler either decrease or increase resolution based on what you chose for the output in the config menu. XSS supports 720p, 1080p, 1440p and 4k, PS5 is 720p, 1080p and 4k.
Yes, but what is happening atm until devs come out and say otherwise, is the PS5 isn't powerful enough to output the game at 1440p 120fps but the XSX is, which just isn't the case.

ethomaz

Banned
Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Its fine if you dont belive them you dont have to, but for me its an easy choice whom i believe between you and them (DF & NX Gamer)
They are Tech Savvy and were more often right than wrong i think

on the other hand, you only make assumptions based on your opinion

I believe Insomniac. Who you already linked to, then I quoted, and now you screenshotted lol

They render a bit more than half the pixels per frame. That's not native, and there's nothing wrong with that.. nor is it something worth getting butthurt about. Produces an image that's potentially better than 4k native.. so who cares?

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

Yes, but what is happening atm until devs come out and say otherwise, is the PS5 isn't powerful enough to output the game at 1440p 120fps but the XSX is, which just isn't the case.
You asked whether XSX being able to output 1440p natively could be a reason, which I answered to be totally unrelated (internal res vs output).

Regarding the difference between PS5 and XSX res, we must wait till analysis come out to check how framerate goes on both, this could be an AC Valhalla situation.

ErRor88

I find it very weird because it is a hot take because MS choose to buy discord.

If that didn’t happen then the article may not exist and PS5 not need discord lol

It is a article based in actual points but points created after MS go get Discord.

Summary: PS5 doesn’t need Discord.

True, IMO the points are valid to a degree. It would help Playstation fix some loose ends and act as a bridge to the PC world.

SSfox

Upcoming PS Plus games until July

BrBsydV.jpg

👀

Grain of salt.

Captain Tsubasa would be neat, i was going to buy it but i cancelled because i heard it has insane loading times, and i can't stand that anymore lol , but for free i'll give it try tho i don't think i'm spending more than 1 hour with it if the loading are as ugly as i heard.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Just wanted to clarify something.

With Spiderman Miles Morales on PS5 it's creating 60 half frames per second to generate 30 full frames per second. The idea here is that 60 images get combined to produce 30.

Just wanted to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.
Honestly not sure; but they do say it's a performance enhancing technique as well as AA, so not sure how that would actually be a perf enhancement over native 4k 30, particularly since it's actually more than half the pixels they render? They said it happens over "a handful of frames" too, so I don't think it's an every other frame thing. I think every frame is a mix of previous and future frames (and the present frame), more than they are using it to "skip frames" and combine them.

I'm not some expert at this though lol.. I just know that when a dev says they can use a technique that involves rendering under native resolution.. it's not native resolution lol

Last edited:

SubZer0

Banned
I believe Insomniac. Who you already linked to, then I quoted, and now you screenshotted lol

They render a bit more than half the pixels per frame. That's not native, and there's nothing wrong with that.. nor is it something worth getting butthurt about. Produces an image that's potentially better than 4k native.. so who cares?
Yeah half the pixels at spiderman on ps4 pro

This ingame screen says everything

yyFcVil.jpg

"temporal techniques provide an extra high quality picture from a 4k resolution base"

or should we ask Mark cerny maybe he can check their sourcecode and find out if they are lying 😁

Anyway it looks like you have a very bad perception and thats the reason i find you are not qualified to discuss such things

lane kiffin roll GIF

Hashi

I remember that I couldn’t play at day one the Shadow Fall MP and posted my experience.... I found the SP graphics and gameplay pretty good but the MP was atrocious.... I posted a lot of pics from the MP.

People told me I was just hating when DF asked devs and the resolution was indeed cremated from half 1080p lol

It is even today the lower timer I had with a Killzone MP... I just can’t play it for long sessions.

However thought it was a good ideia should be removed from that position.
It has 960x1080 at 60fps. Checkerboard is used for framerate boost.

KZSF (multiplayer) has amazing good deferred rendering lighting with good transparency (alpha channel).

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Yeah half the pixels at spiderman on ps4 pro

This ingame screen says everything

yyFcVil.jpg

"temporal techniques provide an extra high quality picture from a 4k resolution base"

or should we ask Mark cerny maybe he can check their sourcecode and find out if they are lying 😁

Anyway it looks like you have a very bad perception and thats the reason i find you are not qualified to discuss such things

lane kiffin roll GIF

winning independence day GIF by IFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom