• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeah half the pixels at spiderman on ps4 pro

This ingame screen says everything

yyFcVil.jpg

"temporal techniques provide an extra high quality picture from a 4k resolution base"

or should we ask Mark cerny maybe he can check their sourcecode and find out if they are lying 😁

Anyway it looks like you have a very bad perception and thats the reason i find you are not qualified to discuss such things

lane kiffin roll GIF
Dude... you are the one who kept linking to that interview where they said half the pixels.

So I digress; maybe they are super sampling. Said that in the first damn post in this convo lol

Has anyone else noticed Splinter Cell Blacklist isn't enhanced on the Series X?

I thought it was odd that it was in the non enhanced list so booted it up and it's definitely lower resolution now and the frame rate was all over the place as well while it's full 4K and smooth on the One X.

Hopefully it's just a bug and will be fixed soon. All the other Splinter Cell games are in the enhanced list.

Garani

Upcoming PS Plus games until July

BrBsydV.jpg

👀

Grain of salt.
Ratchet and clanck remaster?
1) for R&C I'd do anything. Into the nexus is a great game.
2) I already have Dreams.... :(

Sony’s Deal for Anime Platform Crunchyroll Faces Uncertainty (Report)

Thanks Dementia Joe. 😏
So, MS buying Discord and Zenimax is not a problem, but Sony buying Crunchyroll is. Go figure.

Nice

"We are on track to sell over 7.6 million units by the end of this fiscal year," Chief Financial Officer Hiroki Totoki said at a news conference, reiterating company hopes that PS5 shipments will surpass the PS4's sales over a similar period after its launch and become its biggest console debut ever.

It's great that we are finally are getting some sales from them. Very positive overall.

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds like they’re able to produce more consoles than PS4 despite covid.
Every manufacturer has prioritized products during covid best they can.

We did it as well. We focused on products with high demand, and let slip products whose demand dropped during covid. And within product lines, every manufacturer and retailer will agree on simplifying the prdouct available until demand/supply level out when covid is over.

So if a product category has 10 items in it. The company and retailer will discuss and make a call only 7 are needed for now.

That's why during covid, you might had noticed the products at a grocery store seemed to skew to the boring big selling brand and items in that brand.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

James Sawyer Ford James Sawyer Ford any thoughts?

The fact that they posted $10 billion in profits the same year they launched a new console is pretty nuts. That tells me that they either sold the ps5 at cost or probably even made a profit on the $499 version.

Whatever the case, gone are the days when console manufacturers took a big loss to go all in on specs. And that's kinda sad because the gaming industry is more profitable than ever.

Whatever the case, gone are the days when console manufacturers took a big loss to go all in on specs. And that's kinda sad because the gaming industry is more profitable than ever.

To be fair, both the Series X and PS5 have pretty decent specs out the gate. Especially when you compare them to what the PS4 and Xbox one had at launch.

The fact that they posted $10 billion in profits the same year they launched a new console is pretty nuts. That tells me that they either sold the ps5 at cost or probably even made a profit on the $499 version.

They're taking a loss on the console

Profits are up because service and software sales are up + their other divisions are actually doing really well too

SlimySnake

To be fair, both the Series X and PS5 have pretty decent specs out the gate. Especially when you compare them to what the PS4 and Xbox one had at launch.
specs are definitely better than last gen, but thats not saying much. last gen was also coming right after a long recession so when they cheaped out on the cpu and ssd, it made sense. now gaming is stronger than ever, ps division is more profitable than ever, their exclusives sell better than ever, and for some reason gaming overall is more popular than ever thanks to a bizarre pandemic making games the defacto entertainment.

they couldve done better especially at the $499 price tag. their reluctance to leave $399 and MS's reluctance to launch a sole SKU is not good for gamers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
specs are definitely better than last gen, but thats not saying much. last gen was also coming right after a long recession so when they cheaped out on the cpu and ssd, it made sense. now gaming is stronger than ever, ps division is more profitable than ever, their exclusives sell better than ever, and for some reason gaming overall is more popular than ever thanks to a bizarre pandemic making games the defacto entertainment.

they couldve done better especially at the $499 price tag. their reluctance to leave $399 and MS's reluctance to launch a sole SKU is not good for gamers.
People who follow gaming (or electronics in general) have been fed so much BS PR from companies for years, they have finally realized when these companies amp up the profits into the billions from software and digital sales, they are really no different than the usual corporation. No give back. The goal is increased growth and profits.

The traditional PR is "we don't make a lot of money. Game making is tough and expensive. We'd like to do more, but don't have the funds. Consoles are a money losing proposition yada yada". Game making is no different "we want to do so much more killer games with better AI, physics and destruction, but hardware is too gimped"

Well, were in 2021. All the big game studios and console makers are making tons of profits. MS has usually been labeled as less profitable, but at a whole corporation, they make the most at $50-60 billion. Buying out Zenimax for $7.5 billion shows they money is there from a holistic corporation level.

Yet here we are. Games still rely on eye candy instead or core gameplay and physics/AI. Most of the games seem to have a heavier focus on mtx downloads than tight gameplay. and the corporations still gun for more sales and profits milking things and mtx. They can afford to keep some studios alive, PS3 stores alive, and MS (since the 360 gen), not forcing Gold for F2P and party chat.

Remember those articles way back? Gold and PS+ sub fees are needed for the survival of giving console gamers a streamlined online feature set? It's so much better than free PC, $50/yr is needed. Well, there's billions of profits floating around and the online fees are still there. If anything the price has actually gone up $10 and not down.

Last edited:

Nope. MS choice to have 2 SKUs is GOOD for gamers because not every one has money to blow on a $500 console. It might not be great for developers who'd prefer to have a single box to code for but that's MS's responsibility to ensure the GDK helps them avoid major issues. No one gets upset that Nvidia makes a 3060 AND a 3090. Not everyone can afford the 3090.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nope. MS choice to have 2 SKUs is GOOD for gamers because not every one has money to blow on a $500 console. It might not be great for developers who'd prefer to have a single box to code for but that's MS's responsibility to ensure the GDK helps them avoid major issues. No one gets upset that Nvidia makes a 3060 AND a 3090. Not everyone can afford the 3090.
Totally.

Game makers can somehow make a game work on PC with a million configs from OS to cpu to gpu to some gamers wanting kb/m and some hooking up a gamepad. And they do this so their game can be played on different systems even if some are still rocking Windows 7.

Yet, when it comes to console development, somehow making a game run well on two console variations is tough.

I doubt they made a profit on the consoles. Let's assume the average loss was $50 per console (bigger loss on the DE, less of a loss on the standard). That's only about $375 million in losses over 7.5 million consoles sold vs. $10 Billion in Profit. In other words, they just had an outstanding year for gaming sales. The loss from consoles was just a drop in the bucket.

This isn't too surprising. Rising digital sales + COVID boost helped tremendously. It's crazy to think they hit an all time high of profits during a console launch. PS4's launch proved that console manufacturers aren't going to take a big loss on hardware. Sony learned their lesson with PS3. I think PS5 is in line with their PS4 strategy.

I don't really have an issue with that approach. PS5 is a fantastically designed console and I can't wait to see what true next-gen gaming brings in the future. I'm much more happy with PS5's overall balanced approach vs. the PS4. We received a big boost in GPU power, massive increase in CPU and I/O throughput with SSDs. Sony also made some very interesting decisions that appeared to have been the right call when it comes to clockspeeds vs. teraflops vs. power balancing.

So the profitability is nice, but I really hope they use those profits to grow their first party business. Microsoft has purchased a ton over the past years and have set themselves up to release a big title every quarter. With Sony, their AAA schedule seems to be more in line with 2x per year. I would like them to increase that to 4X per year (or every quarter). They don't need to purchase third party studios, but if we don't see greatly expanded studios/teams it will be a big disappointment. They have the talent to really kill it when it comes to content which will translate into better profits.

Last edited:

Zones

That $10 billion is for the whole Sony Corp, though the PlayStation division itself should account for a little over $3 billion.

By the way, PS5 is sold at a loss...

EtSBO2ZWgAA2SsV

SlimySnake

This isn't too surprising. Rising digital sales + COVID boost helped tremendously. It's crazy to think they hit an all time high of profits during a console launch. PS4's
So the profitability is nice, but I really hope they use those profits to grow their first party business. Microsoft has purchased a ton over the past years and have set themselves up to release a big title every quarter. With Sony, their AAA schedule seems to be more in line with 2x per year. I would like them to increase that to 4X per year (or every quarter). They don't need to purchase third party studios, but if we don't see greatly expanded studios/teams it will be a big disappointment. They have the talent to really kill it when it comes to content which will translate into better profits.
I agree. Buying studios is very costly and they can do far more investing in smaller studios like kojipro and Ueda's new studio. i think downsizing Japan studio was a mistake because those guys did a lot supporting devs like Team Ico, Asobo studios and From Software. i think sony needs to invest heavily in japan in general. i cant believe kojima was shopping around trying to get a stadia exclusive. sony shouldve snatched him before death stranding even came out. let alone after it won so many goty awards.

and yeah, sony definitely needs to pump up their releases. it should be one big AAA game every quarter. looks like we are just getting ratchet and horizon this year which is gonna be pretty disappointing especially considering how third parties have essentially stopped releasing or even revealing AAA video games this year.

vivftp

I agree. Buying studios is very costly and they can do far more investing in smaller studios like kojipro and Ueda's new studio. i think downsizing Japan studio was a mistake because those guys did a lot supporting devs like Team Ico, Asobo studios and From Software. i think sony needs to invest heavily in japan in general. i cant believe kojima was shopping around trying to get a stadia exclusive. sony shouldve snatched him before death stranding even came out. let alone after it won so many goty awards.

and yeah, sony definitely needs to pump up their releases. it should be one big AAA game every quarter. looks like we are just getting ratchet and horizon this year which is gonna be pretty disappointing especially considering how third parties have essentially stopped releasing or even revealing AAA video games this year.

This year for AAA games we're getting Returnal, MLB, Ratchet & Clank Rift apart and Horizon FW definitely. God of War is still slated for this year until Sony says otherwise. This is what we're aware of so far, we'll have a better idea if/when they do a big Summer event.

Last year in the AAA space we had TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh 2, MLB, FF7 Remake, Miles Morales, and Demon's Souls. Sackboy also feels AAA to me.

Even 2019 which was considered a very weak year had Death Stranding, Days Gone, MLB and Persona 5 Royal.

It's been a long time since Sony only had 2 AAA games release in a single year.

EDIT.
Also keep in mind Gran Turismo 7 was supposed to launch this year as well until delays occurred due to Covid. Who knows what else got pushed out of this year.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This year for AAA games we're getting Returnal, MLB, Ratchet & Clank Rift apart and Horizon FW definitely. God of War is still slated for this year until Sony says otherwise. This is what we're aware of so far, we'll have a better idea if/when they do a big Summer event.

Last year in the AAA space we had TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh 2, MLB, FF7 Remake, Miles Morales, and Demon's Souls. Sackboy also feels AAA to me.

Even 2019 which was considered a very weak year had Death Stranding, Days Gone, MLB and Persona 5 Royal.

EDIT.
Also keep in mind Gran Turismo 7 was supposed to launch this year as well until delays occurred due to Covid. Who knows what else got pushed out of this year.
Half the games listed in your post aren’t AAA, especially Sackboy.

SubZer0

Banned
for this reason sony has correctly released a $ 399 ps5 which may be in the foreseeable future gets a price cut to 299

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The smaller Die size (ps5 300mm2 vs xsx 360mm2) slowly pays off and gives them an advantage because they get significantly more chips per waver
for this reason sony has correctly released a $ 399 ps5 which may be in the foreseeable future gets a price cut to 299

Just another example where specs don't tell the whole story, isn't the most important thing.

IMO, everything combined means Sony is in a very favorable position as far as stock.

Wow.

SlimySnake

EDIT.
MLB and Returnal arent AAA in any sense of the word. except for maybe the $70 price tag.

Besides, MLB isnt even getting any next gen enhancements. they literally just made the stadium creator next gen only and called it a day. it's by far THE laziest next gen sports patch we have gotten. at least Fifa updated character models and used the frostbite next gen hair while NBA redid pretty much everything. its shocking to see Sony's own sports studio phone in a next gen patch like this.

as for gow and gt7. i dont think anyone really believed either of those games were coming out in 2021. i laughed when they revealed gow with a logo and a release date without revealing any footage.

not everyone has money to buy everything. why stop at $299? lets go with $99. the economy is pretty shit right now with millions jobless, what about them? should we be sending them consoles for free? stimulus ps5s?

and that's just the first world countries. will someone think of the third world countries? india has like 500 million people living in poverty. lets get them some ps5s for $1.99.

I dont know if series s will hold back next gen consoles. we will see I suppose. i know the poorly spec'd x1 and ps4 held back last gen as shown by Epic removing support for realtime GI from UE4 altogether. a 2.8 tflops was able to do realtime GI. i think if either console maker had gone with a 2+ tflops gpu, we wouldve gotten realtime gi last gen. in that sense, PCs were held back by consoles too. who is to say it wont happen next gen?

besides, i dont think MS released the $299 console to be nice to poor people like you are suggesting. they did it because they werent sure if their $499 console would sell well and compete with sony's $399 console. Panello told me that they knew sony was targeting $399 when they came up with their sandwich strategy. it had nothing to do with being robinhood. if MS were being charitable, they wouldve done what sony, ms and nintendo used to do in the 90s and 2000s. take a $100-200 loss and launch their consoles for the masses at an attractive pricepoint. they chose to pass the cost down to the consumer instead of taking the loss while posting $10 billion in profits every quarter.

Last edited:

SubZer0

Banned
And the XSS will be $199. It will always be a cheaper Gamepass ready device that will get support for the remainder of this generation. If developers can make games on the X1 they should be able to on the XSS too.
Of course, the xss will be cheaper, it would also be criminally to sell it at the same price as the technically much better ps5, nevertheless if ms manages to publish good exclusive games I think that the xss is a good alternative and great Deal at 199$
in the end, the customers will decide

MLB and Returnal arent AAA in any sense of the word. except for maybe the $70 price tag.

Besides, MLB isnt even getting any next gen enhancements. they literally just made the stadium creator next gen only and called it a day. it's by far THE laziest next gen sports patch we have gotten. at least Fifa updated character models and used the frostbite next gen hair while NBA redid pretty much everything. its shocking to see Sony's own sports studio phone in a next gen patch like this.

as for gow and gt7. i dont think anyone really believed either of those games were coming out in 2021. i laughed when they revealed gow with a logo and a release date without revealing any footage.

not everyone has money to buy everything. why stop at $299? lets go with $99. the economy is pretty shit right now with millions jobless, what about them? should we be sending them consoles for free? stimulus ps5s?

and that's just the first world countries. will someone think of the third world countries? india has like 500 million people living in poverty. lets get them some ps5s for $1.99.

I dont know if series s will hold back next gen consoles. we will see I suppose. i know the poorly spec'd x1 and ps4 held back last gen as shown by Epic removing support for realtime GI from UE4 altogether. a 2.8 tflops was able to do realtime GI. i think if either console maker had gone with a 2+ tflops gpu, we wouldve gotten realtime gi last gen. in that sense, PCs were held back by consoles too. who is to say it wont happen next gen?

besides, i dont think MS released the $299 console to be nice to poor people like you are suggesting. they did it because they werent sure if their $499 console would sell well and compete with sony's $399 console. Panello told me that they knew sony was targeting $399 when they came up with their sandwich strategy. it had nothing to do with being robinhood. if MS were being charitable, they wouldve done what sony, ms and nintendo used to do in the 90s and 2000s. take a $100-200 loss and launch their consoles for the masses at an attractive pricepoint. they chose to pass the cost down to the consumer instead of taking the loss while posting $10 billion in profits every quarter.
It's a strawman to talk about MS being nice to poor people. I never made any suggestion of the sort. I am simply saying it's a lower cost of entry console that is still able to play games of this generation giving MS a chance to reach a larger audience and make more money. They are business after all. Because they are a business they don't want to get accused of dumping consoles by selling XSX or XSS for $99 and incurring unnecessary legal fees and losing tons more on the cost of every console made. They are already taking a loss per unit even with the XSS. Even developers complaining about XSS game creation acknowledge that the XSS is a good deal for gamers. It holding back the generation is nonsense.

Garani

Are they teasing full BC is coming to PS5?

No.
Totally.

Game makers can somehow make a game work on PC with a million configs from OS to cpu to gpu to some gamers wanting kb/m and some hooking up a gamepad. And they do this so their game can be played on different systems even if some are still rocking Windows 7.

Yet, when it comes to console development, somehow making a game run well on two console variations is tough.
And this is why XSX has no exclusives. If I can play it on more than one platform, it ain't an exclusive.

It's a strawman to talk about MS being nice to poor people. I never made any suggestion of the sort. I am simply saying it's a lower cost of entry console that is still able to play games of this generation giving MS a chance to reach a larger audience and make more money. They are business after all. Because they are a business they don't want to get accused of dumping consoles by selling XSX or XSS for $99 and incurring unnecessary legal fees and losing tons more on the cost of every console made. They are already taking a loss per unit even with the XSS. Even developers complaining about XSS game creation acknowledge that the XSS is a good deal for gamers. It holding back the generation is nonsense.
It is holding back the generation every time a developer spends time and money changing their game to support that piece of shit.

Let's try it this way, if a developer makes a game and is hellbent in having it run on the switch, would you then see it as holding back? If that makes sense, then you should have no problem admitting the xss acts as a similar type of damper. The good thing is it doesn't really sell very much, so there's a higher probability devs won't even bother and that console dies once and for all.

vivftp

I know some would be iffy on Sackboy which is why I noted it separately. Returnal has been repeatedly touted as Housemarque's first AAA game, whether you want to accept that or not isn't my concern. MLB isn't AAA? lol, in what world?

Also why, in your opinion, does lack of next gen enhancements mean it's not AAA? Does that mean the PS4 has no AAA games? Anyways, a quick search shows that the next gen version of MLB has 3D audio, DualSense support, 60 FPS in addition to the stadium creator. Those are enhancements over the previous gen version, which inherently means they are next gen enhancements.

As for GT7 and GoW, again I don't care what you thought or laughed at. Both were/are slated for 2021 and that's that. A release in 2H 2021 would put God of War (Ragnarok) at 3.5 years of dev time since the last game which is plenty for a lot of AAA games, especially ones which are sequels and have a lot of their stories already outlined. As for the lack of footage, game trailers take studios a lot of time to put together which is why studios have historically stressed and crunched for months to prepare for E3 to cobble together enough working code to piece together a trailer. If they decided that it'd be best not to burden SSM with having to shit out a trailer for that particular event then so be it. What's important is the release year they stated and are aiming for. If it gets delayed due to Covid then so be it. That doesn't change the fact that their goal is 2021. It does not change the fact that your argument that Sony only releases 2 AAA games a year patently false.

Now if you want to call Sony liars then I'm gonna need something more from you than "my trick knee acted up and I knew they were lying!". Delays due to Covid have and are constantly happening, that is a fact of the world we live in. Those delays in no way mean that these companies were lying with their original projected launch dates.

SlimySnake

I know some would be iffy on Sackboy which is why I noted it separately. Returnal has been repeatedly touted as Housemarque's first AAA game, whether you want to accept that or not isn't my concern. MLB isn't AAA? lol, in what world?
sports games are AAA now? since when? is madden 19 AAA?

returnal is an indie game. it is funny to see people defend its poor production values in one thread saying its made by an indie studio and then tout it as an AAA game in other threads.

sony announced gow as a 2021 title in late september. months into the pandemic. they shouldve known by then if it was going to make it or not. tbh, it doesnt really matter why these games got delayed. most sony holiday releases get delayed. iirc, the order, uncharted 5, gow, tlou 2 and even horizon were all holiday games that ended up getting pushed to next year. doesnt change much when the next year will see the same delays. why are we expecting covid wont affect games slated for release in 2022? they are actively in development today no?

i have been a sony fan going on for two decades now. it was mgs2, ffx, ico and gta back in 2001, and then their first and second party games in the ps3 era after they lost all third party exclusives. i am looking at all of my favorites from the last two gens and struggling to see why i wont be seeing sequels to any of these games or just new ips from any of these studios.

- Ico
- SOTC
- The Last guardian
- Warhawk
- DriveClub
- Motorstorm
- Heavenly sword
- the order
- heavy rain
- beyond
- detroit
- death stranding
- MAG
- Socom
- Bloodborne

All sony owned IPs. first and second party games. Ninja Theory, ready at dawn, evolution studios, quantic dream, incognito studios, team ico, kojima out there slumming with google presumably left to fend for himself, Ueda told to fuck off and raise him own money. not too long ago, sony used to care about talent like Miyazaki, kojima and ueda. funding their entire games. as a sony fan, its shocking to see how sony has killed these games and cut off ties with these studios despite making record profits. i am not a sony fan because they sell the most consoles or make the most money. im a sony fan for the games and looking at the list above, its clear that sony no longer cares about a certain segment of sony fans. i like tlou and horizon as much as the next guy but im not waiting 3-4 years for these games.

is it really that controversial of a statement to expect these studios to create more than one game every 3-4 years? because thats what James and I had suggested.

vivftp

sports games are AAA now? since when? is madden 19 AAA?

returnal is an indie game. it is funny to see people defend its poor production values in one thread saying its made by an indie studio and then tout it as an AAA game in other threads.

sony announced gow as a 2021 title in late september. months into the pandemic. they shouldve known by then if it was going to make it or not. tbh, it doesnt really matter why these games got delayed. most sony holiday releases get delayed. iirc, the order, uncharted 5, gow, tlou 2 and even horizon were all holiday games that ended up getting pushed to next year. doesnt change much when the next year will see the same delays. why are we expecting covid wont affect games slated for release in 2022? they are actively in development today no?

i have been a sony fan going on for two decades now. it was mgs2, ffx, ico and gta back in 2001, and then their first and second party games in the ps3 era after they lost all third party exclusives. i am looking at all of my favorites from the last two gens and struggling to see why i wont be seeing sequels to any of these games or just new ips from any of these studios.

- Ico
- SOTC
- The Last guardian
- Warhawk
- DriveClub
- Motorstorm
- Heavenly sword
- the order
- heavy rain
- beyond
- detroit
- death stranding
- MAG
- Socom
- Bloodborne

All sony owned IPs. first and second party games. Ninja Theory, ready at dawn, evolution studios, quantic dream, incognito studios, team ico, kojima out there slumming with google presumably left to fend for himself, Ueda told to fuck off and raise him own money. not too long ago, sony used to care about talent like Miyazaki, kojima and ueda. funding their entire games. as a sony fan, its shocking to see how sony has killed these games and cut off ties with these studios despite making record profits. i am not a sony fan because they sell the most consoles or make the most money. im a sony fan for the games and looking at the list above, its clear that sony no longer cares about a certain segment of sony fans. i like tlou and horizon as much as the next guy but im not waiting 3-4 years for these games.

is it really that controversial of a statement to expect these studios to create more than one game every 3-4 years? because thats what James and I had suggested.

What do you call MLB? Obviously not indie and it's a step above a AA game. What's left?

Sony and Housemarque have said Returnal is AAA. It's not for you to argue otherwise.

For God of War, go watch the Raising Kratos documentary to see how broken and shoddy a game can be just a few months before launch and that was under pre-covid conditions. 2021 was their goal and even in September 2020, or possibly even now they can't know if they'll still hit it because it's a moving target. What matters is their goal was to release all of these games in 2021 and God of War still might make it. The fact that a global pandemic came and delayed things isn't their fault and doesn't change their intentions.

As for the rest of your post you seem to be lamenting that they're not working on sequels to some franchises with some folks while ignoring that they're working on many more projects with other folks. If you factor in already announced stuff, rumors and some of their own teams apparently going multiple studios then we're going to have tons of output. Off the top of my head:

- TLOU2 factions
- Naughty dogs next major project, presumably a new IP
- A Remedy exclusive game
- A second Housemarque AAA game
- A MGS remake by Bluepoint
- Some form of Silent Hill project that Sony's still involved in
- An Arrowhead AAA game
- Another project with From Soft
- WiLD
- Project Awakening
- Granblue Fantasy Relink
- FF16
- Forspoken
- A second project by Guerrilla Games
- Cory Barlogs rumored other project
- Bends next project
- The inevitable Spiderman 2 game
- Astrobot 2
- second San Diego team
- Ghost of Tsushima sequel
- Havens project with Sony

That's just a list off the top of my head of either announced or rumored games, most of which we should be seeing within the next couple of years or so. That doesn't even factor in all the other projects we have no clue at all about.

The point is, there are a TON of quality games coming to PlayStation and they most definitely have more than 2 AAA games releasing each year, which was my major point of contention when addressing the initial posts. You wanted 4 AAA games a year, they're doing that and in the case of 2020 they pretty much doubled that.

Last edited:
Dont blame him, digital foundry said its 4k but they couldnt prove the pixel count so they fabricated lies that it was probably reconstructed 4k, its the usual digital foundry anything that looks too incredible on playstation is always a paradox to them so they devalue it. Even when the menu precisely say its 4k base +. If this was series x i can tell theyll have a party that day with spencer in the office with a cake with 12 candels celebrating 12 teraflops.

People usually get things wrong, they didnt cheap out last gen, they had 8gb systems which was the target and bigger cpus + ssds werent needed at the time judging by the constant 1080p games from ps4 and the industry standard games like last 2, tsushima, the order, uncharted 4 i think sony delivered on their promise and target its microsoft who fucked up with tv tv tv and a smaller gpu that led to 720p-900p games without any blockbuster games comparable to ps4. So i dont think they failed that gen atleast sony didnt. Consoles always make losses at first both companies have a sub 500$ mark to fit everything in a console and they delivered,

This gen is the same thing they are already making losses n i bet sony is making bigger losses for having a faster proprietary ssd than any out there, liquid metal cooling, bigger cpu, haptic feedback tech on controller. Mate they even had rdna 2 on thiss consoles tech that wasnt out on pcs yet even the ssd tech isnt there on pcs yet. But sony are making a bigger bet as usual theyve gone back to ps3 days where they make a super proprietary gaming machine to bet on the blockbuster games that their internal studios and big triple a studios would make for it. Only the future will tell. I personally think they released both machines way too early and they are relying on customer habit momentum for sales.. it explains the lower series x sales if i was microsoft id have learnt my lesson by now and released series x with a proper nextgen game like halo infinite to boost sales and to make a statement that we are back! But instead they relied on empty tech marketing without anything to show for. People arent interested in bc and playing lastgen games at higher fps and resolutions they want cgi looking nextgen games with new incredible game mechanics to freshen things up, bc and crossgen are just needed for the sake of it. I think sonys plan of releasing ps5 in 2020 forced microsoft to rush series x as well. Though id personally liked them to release holliday 2021 when theyve had time to fix all bugs and realese strongly with games like demon souls, halo infinite, ratchet n clank to show off the new hardware. Not crossgen fucking yakuza and control to run around corridors.

Exactly.

That post is hilarious, lol.
Do we know which Console is being sold at a bigger loss, PS5 or XSX, also is the XSS sold at a loss too. 🤔
Ps5 is a way bigger loss its more futuristic, higher clocks = more heat = expensive cooling "liquid metal paste" faster propretary 12 chanel ssd comparable to ddr4 system ram than anything out there, haptic feedback controller tech, + 100gb bluray drive all at 500$ this is above 1000$+ equipment its the same expensive cost as the ps3 when it came out extremely proprietary.

Also why, in your opinion, does lack of next gen enhancements mean it's not AAA? Does that mean the PS4 has no AAA games? Anyways, a quick search shows that the next gen version of MLB has 3D audio, DualSense support, 60 FPS in addition to the stadium creator. Those are enhancements over the previous gen version, which inherently means they are next gen enhancements.

As for GT7 and GoW, again I don't care what you thought or laughed at. Both were/are slated for 2021 and that's that. A release in 2H 2021 would put God of War (Ragnarok) at 3.5 years of dev time since the last game which is plenty for a lot of AAA games, especially ones which are sequels and have a lot of their stories already outlined. As for the lack of footage, game trailers take studios a lot of time to put together which is why studios have historically stressed and crunched for months to prepare for E3 to cobble together enough working code to piece together a trailer. If they decided that it'd be best not to burden SSM with having to shit out a trailer for that particular event then so be it. What's important is the release year they stated and are aiming for. If it gets delayed due to Covid then so be it. That doesn't change the fact that their goal is 2021. It does not change the fact that your argument that Sony only releases 2 AAA games a year patently false.

Now if you want to call Sony liars then I'm gonna need something more from you than "my trick knee acted up and I knew they were lying!". Delays due to Covid have and are constantly happening, that is a fact of the world we live in. Those delays in no way mean that these companies were lying with their original projected launch dates.
Well the typical AAA new ip requires 5-6 years of dev time with around 1 year of that time of the game being in the cradle(prototyping). Once the new ip has been produced, it is safe to assume that the dev has adapted their skill and toolset towards making sequels for that game in the future. It’ll be more expensive that’s for sure, but it’ll take much less time to produce a sequel since the devs might’ve already mastered the skill chain during the production of the prequel. I would assume that 3.5 to 4 years is reasonable to make a sequel, if the developer in question is good enough. God Of War was a soft reboot and it was a massive shift mechanicswise compared with the previous games which is probably why it was 5 years in the making.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

(...) and gt7. i dont think anyone really believed either of those games were coming out in 2021
I belived gt7 was early 2021 release. Trailer looks almost same as gt sport so same engine but with dynamic daytime probably and some rt, most cars already has higher polycount version that they can use and also ps5 is very similar to ps4 so no more situation like earlier when they had to create new engine from scratch and redo all cars. Now I really hope for full psvr2 support in whole game not just gimmick mode.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ps5 is a way bigger loss its more futuristic, higher clocks = more heat = expensive cooling "liquid metal paste" faster propretary 12 chanel ssd comparable to ddr4 system ram than anything out there, haptic feedback controller tech, + 100gb bluray drive all at 500$ this is above 1000$+ equipment its the same expensive cost as the ps3 when it came out extremely proprietary.
You are going a bit overboard here. UHD Blu-Ray was coming in large quantities with Xbox One S, liquid metal is more expensive than thermal paste but it saves a lot of money on the heatsink so overall it is there to to reduce cost. SSD is customised but smaller ( < 1 TB) and the SSD I/O is mostly inside the main SoC and the main SoC is not gynormous (but smaller than the competition too). So, no... I do not see how we can come up with $1000 manufacturing costs per unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom