• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is interesting is that initially you said you wasn't wrong at all.

I haven't made any prediction, I don't know what you're talking about can you show me? Or something you have just made up?

But if the Series S doesn't sell well it would become increasingly easier for Microsoft to stop marketing it and eventually drop it.

Companies don't usually stick around with products which are unpopular, just look back on Wii U, PS Vita and Kinect.

Especially if developers are already complaining about it.
I was right about my prediction about the XSX launching with exclusive software. You are the only one talking about the X1 and the Kinect. Comparing the XSS and the Kinect is ridiculous. The reversal on the Kinect in the grand scheme of things is minimal. Just like Nintendo dropping motion control consoles. MS dropping the XSS in the middle of the gen especially when they still support the X1 now is ludicrous. I'll trust MS knows a bit more about the console business than you do although I'm sure you'll swear you know better. You should have more faith too seeing how you always knew MS didn't really want to support the Kinect. 😉

Last edited:
I was right about my prediction about the XSX launching with exclusive software. You are the only one talking about the X1 and the Kinect. Comparing the XSS and the Kinect is ridiculous. The reversal on the Kinect in the grand scheme of things is minimal. Just like Nintendo dropping motion control consoles. MS dropping the XSS in the middle of the gen especially when they still support the X1 now is ludicrous. I'll trust MS knows a bit more about the console business than you do although I'm sure you'll swear you know better. You should have more faith too seeing how you always knew MS didn't really want to support the Kinect. 😉
XSeX launch with exclusive SW - featuring Phil Spencer by DirkMagusDCXIX at fanfiction.net.

dcmk7

Banned
I was right about my prediction about the XSX launching with exclusive software. You are the only one talking about the X1 and the Kinect. Comparing the XSS and the Kinect is ridiculous. The reversal on the Kinect in the grand scheme of things is minimal. Just like Nintendo dropping motion control consoles. MS dropping the XSS in the middle of the gen especially when they still support the X1 now is ludicrous. I'll trust MS knows a bit more about the console business than you do although I'm sure you swear you know better.
They removed an integral part of the Xbox One. Nothing minimal about it at all.

Be interesting to see if MS will continue to insist on a Series S version from developers if sales are poor.

They, like everyone, know when to cut their losses and move on.

Wouldn't dream of making stupid predictions though, especially ones which are presented like facts.

ToadMan

This thread make me want to quit console gaming 😳

That’s the whole point! There aren’t any games for the next gen console(s) so this thread is how people kill the time...

Since i have trouble to upload this and it seems to me I put way too much effort into this, I am sharing this here.

Cyberpunk 1.2 version ladies and gentleman. Rememeber any game, which has shit traffic like this? Me neither...even shovelware back in 360/PS3 era was better.

I know. This effect really was a big thing that stopped me playing this.

The thing is I don’t know how they can solve it either - the implementation would have to be fundamentally changed.

It’s a good idea on paper - use 2D sprites for distance traffic and 3D for close up to improve performance like a kind of LOD for dimensions. But that mapping of the 2D to 3D is clearly not good enough and I don’t see how it can be unless they can make each full 3D model match a unique 2D sprite.

I think the easy way out will be just to reduce the amount of 2D traffic to match the sparse 3D but the world will feel even more empty.

Last edited:

reksveks

Be interesting to see if MS will continue to insist on a Series S version from developers if sales are poor.

Wouldn't dream of making stupid predictions though, especially ones which are presented like facts.
I think if the series s isn't selling, they would take the hit and probably cut the generation even shorter than they plan to already. Think they ain't going to drop one sku.

yewles1

SFS is not compression is not related with that.

jack nicholson you cant handle the truth GIF

Just kidding
Not what I meant, when people talk about smaller sizes on PS5, they only think about compression methods such as Oodle-"anything" as the only sole reason, not considering the fact that the PS5's SSD speed is enough to remove duplicate assets.

This may partly explain why XS games aren't as far behind in loading speeds, as they might still have more duplicates to rely on than PS5.

Well if you acknowledge that the XSS is not the same performance as the Switch it's safe to assume it wouldn't hamper this generation anyway like the Switch would. You could not identify any features the XSS lacks that the XSX has. Outside of the blu-ray drive there aren't any. Unless you think the blu-ray is the key to pushing this generation forward the XSS will not hold back anything but it obviously won't lead the way in graphic performance. You are free to feel any way you want but thankfully this generations outcome won't be determined by your feelings.
I compared the Switch power discrepancy last gen to the xss dragging down this gen. And yeah, the main "feature" lacking is a gpu powerful enough to allow actual use of raytracing on modern AAA games.
No I don't give a fuck about bluray because I have no interest in physical media. I bough the PS5 DE not because it was cheaper but because it looks slicker and I would never use the BR drive.
I know my feelings don't determine the games being made, I simply pointed out my hopes in the best interest of gaming as a medium. I want better and more ambitious gaming experiences that all can enjoy. The existence of the xss is going to have a negative effect on that outcome, that's all.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Next-Gen PSVR Headset Just Got Its First Confirmed Game

Pavlov Shack developer Vankrupt Games has confirmed its next title will launch for the next-generation PlayStation VR headset instead of the device already on the market. Detailed across a few tweets, the original headset supposedly "doesn't have the fidelity" for Pavlov Shack and the game will support cross-play with the Oculus Quest. It appears to be a VR take on Counter-Strike, so this one sounds like it could be for fans of the tactical experience Firewall Zero Hour.

👀

Last edited:

roops67

Not what I meant, when people talk about smaller sizes on PS5, they only think about compression methods such as Oodle-"anything" as the only sole reason, not considering the fact that the PS5's SSD speed is enough to remove duplicate assets.

This may partly explain why XS games aren't as far behind in loading speeds, as they might still have more duplicates to rely on than PS5.
XSX has the same SSD 'seek-time' advantage as the PS5, which is literally instant. So no need for duplicate data as there's no mechanical head to physically move to where closest copy is. Is this what you're asking?

Elog

While there is a difference in peak read throughput between the PS5 and the XSX to the advantage of the PS5 that difference is minor. The biggest alleged difference is in total latency and latency becomes dominant when doing reads of multiple files such as a continuous loading of different texture assets into RAM. Would be great to get some real world data on latency figures comparing the two.

Akuji

Seek time is not instant wtf its just must faster allowing for new ways to design games with much higher unique assets/ data streams.

both consoles will be hit hard and run this as fast as they can at the end of the generation. How much a difference there will be, I don’t know. Not over simplifying it doesn’t make it right either

PS5 in Fidelity mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3552x1998. Pixel counts below 3840x2160 seem to be rare on PS5 in Fidelity mode.

Xbox Series X in Fidelity mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3264x1836. Pixel counts below 3840x2160 seem to be rare on Xbox Series X in Fidelity mode.

PS5 in Performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2112x1188. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on PS5 in Performance mode.

Xbox Series X in Performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1920x1080. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on Xbox Series X in Performance mode.

Xbox Series S in Fidelity mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on Xbox Series S in Fidelity mode.

Xbox Series S in Performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1600x900 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x720. Pixel counts at 1600x900 seem to be common on Xbox Series S in Performance mode.

ToadMan

PS5 in Fidelity mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3552x1998. Pixel counts below 3840x2160 seem to be rare on PS5 in Fidelity mode.

Xbox Series X in Fidelity mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3264x1836. Pixel counts below 3840x2160 seem to be rare on Xbox Series X in Fidelity mode.

PS5 in Performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2112x1188. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on PS5 in Performance mode.

Xbox Series X in Performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1920x1080. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on Xbox Series X in Performance mode.

Xbox Series S in Fidelity mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on Xbox Series S in Fidelity mode.

Xbox Series S in Performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1600x900 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x720. Pixel counts at 1600x900 seem to be common on Xbox Series S in Performance mode.

Just to add the frames are basically locked at 120/60 depending on the selected mode.

There’s only the resolution differences judging by that vid. Translation - there’s no perceptible difference. <another_another_1.gif>

I didn’t get this upgrade but from people who do have it they seem to say it’s basically not a major difference and probably not worth $10. I guess if you had the deluxe version then it’s included regardless.

Haptics I guess - but the opinion on that implementation seems very divided.

Neo Blaster

Damn, so that marketing tweet was talking about output resolution after all? My apologies to LiquidRex LiquidRex , I've never seen that happen before.

skit_data

Damn, so that marketing tweet was talking about output resolution after all? My apologies to LiquidRex LiquidRex , I've never seen that happen before.
Yeah i was thinking the same, since i wrote something similar about internal not being output res in that thread. I still find it strange, since rendering 1440p still will benefit 4k display owners. I think its just a mistake, it had spelling mistakes in it as well. Maybe someone was just a little hung over when writing the tweet

LucidFlux

Since i have trouble to upload this and it seems to me I put way too much effort into this, I am sharing this here.

Cyberpunk 1.2 version ladies and gentleman. Rememeber any game, which has shit traffic like this? Me neither...even shovelware back in 360/PS3 era was better.

Wow, so uh you really need to use your imagination in that game. I can't believe we're seeing this in a 2020 game of this scope and size.

Seek time is not instant wtf its just must faster allowing for new ways to design games with much higher unique assets/ data streams.

both consoles will be hit hard and run this as fast as they can at the end of the generation. How much a difference there will be, I don’t know. Not over simplifying it doesn’t make it right either

SSDs by definition do not have "seeks" like traditional mechanical disc drives. Yes there is still a consistent latency (1-2 orders of magnitude faster than HDDS) but there is no seek in the traditional sense because seek time is waiting for the mechanical arm to get into position over the right part of the track/data.

The lowest resolution in both modes are lower on the XSX than on PS5. interesting.

MS does not release console sales numbers. They WILL release Game pass subs numbers though and the XSS will be an integral way to increase those numbers. Unlike how Kinect was clearly NOT integral seeing how the X1 did just fine without it. It would be a killer to the brand to REDUCE the number of ways to get customers Game pass which is yet another reason the XSS will never get dropped. I'm sure of course you already knew that. 😏

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
MS does not release console sales numbers. They WILL release Game pass subs numbers though and the XSS will be an integral way to increase those numbers. Unlike how Kinect was clearly NOT integral seeing how the X1 did just fine without it. It would be a killer to the brand to REDUCE the number of ways to get customers Game pass which is yet another reason the XSS will never get dropped. I'm sure of course you already knew that. 😏

MS does not release console sale numbers.
But they will release Game Pass subs....because XSS sales are integral.

So...Series X is no longer relevant?

Console sales will increase Game pass subs....but they wont release console sale numbers....

I am so confused right now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man I have a bad feeling for that future RT patch for XSX (XSS ?) and PS5.

This is occupancy in RDNA 2 in PC now after this patch.

cerny warned you all.

I wonder how the variable clock approach would work better here. MS has fixed clocks but if the power load cant keep up with the thermal requirements, the devs might have to settle with lower settings. Could this be why the two big RT games on the xsx are using the same settings as the PS5? Watch Dogs and Control?

On the other hand, the higher PS5 clocks might also spell doom for the PS5 power budget if next gen RT games start using the CPU more.
i dont understand. i thought the ps5 was 1080p in performance mode.

dcmk7

Banned

Xbox One had Kinect built into it and in your own words was their unique selling point. It was integral to their whole vision. How or why you don't understand that very simple point is staggering.

X1 did fine? PS4 had their most dominant era since PS2. It did absolutely nothing to build upon the relative success of Xbox 360.

I have no idea why you keep embarrassing yourself with your predictions stated as facts.
Maybe you are trying to convince yourself? It's rather silly.

I compared the Switch power discrepancy last gen to the xss dragging down this gen. And yeah, the main "feature" lacking is a gpu powerful enough to allow actual use of raytracing on modern AAA games.
No I don't give a fuck about bluray because I have no interest in physical media. I bough the PS5 DE not because it was cheaper but because it looks slicker and I would never use the BR drive.
I know my feelings don't determine the games being made, I simply pointed out my hopes in the best interest of gaming as a medium. I want better and more ambitious gaming experiences that all can enjoy. The existence of the xss is going to have a negative effect on that outcome, that's all.
The existence of XSS will ensure the gaming industry to claim to care about gets more customers and therefore more support. There is nothing to be gained by catering to a smaller and smaller audience. That's why Nvidia makes more GFX cards than just the 3090. SURE the the 3090 has more graphics power but it also isn't affordable(or available) to the masses and focusing on a just a small enthusiast segment of the market would hurt the business. MS by releasing the XSS will cater to customers that aren't normally thought of. It will always be less expensive than any other current gen console and because it has the same feature set as the more expensive options it will be able to deliver the same games with reduced resolutions and effects the way it was intended to. Things that would allow developers to be ambitious with their games like SFS, VA, VRS, SSD, and a Zen 2 CPU are all present so unless the game was built around running in 4k with every graphical setting set to max the XSS will be just fine. Clearly the XSS is NOT the Switch. Not even close.
MS does not release console sale numbers.
But they will release Game Pass subs....because XSS sales are integral.

So...Series X is no longer relevant?

Console sales will increase Game pass subs....but they wont release console sale numbers....

I am so confused right now.
There is nothing confusing about it. Consoles, PC, and xCloud are the ways MS wants to reach customers. They want all of them and don't need to emphasize the number of boxes they sell under just one pillar of their business. The XSX is just as relevant as the XSS as PC as xCloud. Game pass grows when any and all of them grow. You'll know they are successful if you see Game pass numbers going up and not if they are going down.
Xbox One had Kinect built into it and in your own words was their unique selling point. It was integral to their whole vision. How or why you don't understand that very simple point is staggering.

X1 did fine? PS4 had their most dominant era since PS2. It did absolutely nothing to build upon the relative success of Xbox 360.

I have no idea why you keep embarrassing yourself with your predictions stated as facts.
Maybe you are trying to convince yourself? It's rather silly.
The X1 beat the Wii U a console from a company that was in the industry longer than both Sony and MS. MS also managed to beat out the Gamecube during that generation too. People just have no idea of their gaming history. MS is not going to win a console sales race with Sony. They CAN win in the services arena and if you look at Game pass that seem to a be a good bet they've placed. Maybe you should stop trying to convince yourself you actually know MS' business and just play games.

What is silly is to predict that the XSS will 'hold back' the generation and that developers will never utilize its features. Trust that MS will lead the way with their device as they need to and they will show other developers how to properly take advantage of those features. There has been no indication this generation that MS is on the wrong track. There is no Kinect. There is no Jaguar CPU based device with GDDR3(!) ram. There is no TV TV TV focus. It's just games, a game service, and the addition of a major game studio on top of all the other studios they acquired. People will continue to root for their failure but those people are not gamers. They are simply haters.

The existence of XSS will ensure the gaming industry to claim to care about gets more customers and therefore more support. There is nothing to be gained by catering to a smaller and smaller audience. That's why Nvidia makes more GFX cards than just the 3090. SURE the the 3090 has more graphics power but it also isn't affordable(or available) to the masses and focusing on a just a small enthusiast segment of the market would hurt the business. MS by releasing the XSS will cater to customers that aren't normally thought of. It will always be less expensive than any other current gen console and because it has the same feature set as the more expensive options it will be able to deliver the same games with reduced resolutions and effects the way it was intended to. Things that would allow developers to be ambitious with their games like SFS, VA, VRS, SSD, and a Zen 2 CPU are all present so unless the game was built around running in 4k with every graphical setting set to max the XSS will be just fine. Clearly the XSS is NOT the Switch. Not even close.
Terrible example with the rtx 3090, it's clearly a cash grab by Nvidia and not even close to being a great card for the price asked. And this is coming from someone that paid over the market price for a 3080 late last year.

I honestly disagree with the rational behind the xss even as you put it. It costs $100 less than a fully capable PS5, but in exchange for those $100 it will gimp an entire generation (7 or so years) of games if developers really bend over backwards to support it. And the argument you're putting forth can be easily slippery sloped. Certainly in some markets even $300 is too much money for a console, maybe we should have one that's $200 and further be cut. Maybe $100? Where do we stop?

A baseline is set by the first parties every generation, they are supposed to put their best attempt at driving technology and gaming as a medium forward while staying within a mass market price range. Now MS is trying to have their cake and eat it too. Remember how they even wanted their "next gen" games to run on XB1? The only 2022 / 2023 game that should be able to run on a base XB1 or PS4 is an indy game, not a AAA one. And the XSS is barely more capable than a last gen machine.

Hashi

XSX has the same SSD 'seek-time' advantage as the PS5, which is literally instant. So no need for duplicate data as there's no mechanical head to physically move to where closest copy is. Is this what you're asking?
Yes you are right. Another indicator is how many data u can read in about 2ms-4ms (frame budget 30ms).
I will tell you how many in PS5. About ~30MB max (9GB/s).

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

There is nothing confusing about it. Consoles, PC, and xCloud are the ways MS wants to reach customers. They want all of them and don't need to emphasize the number of boxes they sell under just one pillar of their business. The XSX is just as relevant as the XSS as PC as xCloud. Game pass grows when any and all of them grow. You'll know they are successful if you see Game pass numbers going up and not if they are going down.

The X1 beat the Wii U a console from a company that was in the industry longer than both Sony and MS. MS also managed to beat out the Gamecube during that generation too. People just have no idea of their gaming history. MS is not going to win a console sales race with Sony. They CAN win in the services arena and if you look at Game pass that seem to a be a good bet they've placed. Maybe you should stop trying to convince yourself you actually know MS' business and just play games.

What is silly is to predict that the XSS will 'hold back' the generation and that developers will never utilize its features. Trust that MS will lead the way with their device as they need to and they will show other developers how to properly take advantage of those features. There has been no indication this generation that MS is on the wrong track. There is no Kinect. There is no Jaguar CPU based device with GDDR3(!) ram. There is no TV TV TV focus. It's just games, a game service, and the addition of a major game studio on top of all the other studios they acquired. People will continue to root for their failure but those people are not gamers. They are simply haters.

But Nintendo righted the ship with the Switch. Which launched about 4 years after the XBO and passed it in hardware sales. MS tried to right the ship and threw everything they could think of out there and nothing really helped.

Using Nintendo as an example but leaving this out is wild.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned

Maybe you should stop trying to convince yourself you actually know MS' business and just play games.

Wtf.. you're the one making all the predictions my man..I haven't made any :messenger_tears_of_joy: . Just making fun of all your stupid ones and yet you're still saying stuff will never happen. It's insanity.

X1 beat Wii U? That is very, very impressive.

I hope you celebrated hard that day.

Garani

So do you think "Deliver Us the Moon" is worth getting on PS5 if I haven't played it before? It looked interesting to me from the trailer but for some reason I was thinking I had the right idea about it and would enjoy it, OR that I had a completely wrong idea about it and wouldn't like it. :)

No shooting whatsoever. No crazy computers. Just you and a world of puzzles. The most I had to do in terms of dexterity was running around a few bots in a zone and a moving structure in another.

It's a labyrinth with a lot of puzzles to solve and a story told via lots of audio recordings, like in Bioshock (but without the shooting). It's a real solo-trip: you, yourself, the moon. Good if you like the idea, not a perfect game, but quite enjoyable.

This shit keeps on delivering :D

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Wtf.. you're the one making all the predictions my man..I haven't made any :messenger_tears_of_joy: . Just making fun of all your stupid ones and yet you're still saying stuff will never happen. It's insanity.

X1 beat Wii U? That is very, very impressive.

I hope you celebrated hard that day.
Hey that's not fair not only it beat the WiiU but also the Ouya ....Some of you will get flashbacks from that era.
AchingRegalHog-small.gif

SSfox

GG arent responsible for the PC port of HZD, but they are probably busy working on HFW
Even if you're right it doesn't change the core of my post, if it's not GG then it's another studio paid by Sony to port the game on PC, but they didn't bother hire that studio to make PS5 patch instead, so Sony are doing effort and putting money on things that doesn't matter and that will slighly kill the PS brand in the long run if it continue that way, but they don't seem to care about things that matter, like the playstation legacy and the BC, it's even more shame when you know that playstation has the most iconic games legacy.

This is how they thanks the fans that supported them and bought Horizon on PS4 day one and bought PS5 console day one, by porting the game on PC while not releasing a PS5 patch upgrade, pure nonsens and disrespect to the fanbase is what i call that personally speaking.

Upcoming Witcher game? I thought I had read that they didn't have the license, nor any plans for further Witcher games?
It was confirmed a while back that a Witcher game was in the works. Here's a quote from CDPR CEO.

"The first three 'Witchers' were by definition a trilogy, so we simply could not name the next game 'The Witcher 4'. This does not mean, of course, that we will leave the world of The Witcher,""The Witcher is one of two franchises on which to build the future activities of the company," he adds. " Today, unfortunately, I can not reveal anything more."

Here's the link

Also given the immense popularity of the netflix series CDPR would most likely do their best to bank off that success and release a Witcher game.

EDIT: Another update on CDPR future plans....

Also as far as the patch....hell, until they can get CyberPunk REALLY running and get a next-gen version of THAT out the door (which is what they really need) we cal all forget about a PS5 patch for Witcher 3. I think they have bigger issues and priorities just now

Funnily enough CDPR released a 2021 roadmap which includes the next-gen Witcher 3 patch although there is no exact date, which makes it useless even releasing a road map in the first place lol

Last edited by a moderator:

arvfab

Banned
No shooting whatsoever. No crazy computers. Just you and a world of puzzles. The most I had to do in terms of dexterity was running around a few bots in a zone and a moving structure in another.

It's a labyrinth with a lot of puzzles to solve and a story told via lots of audio recordings, like in Bioshock (but without the shooting). It's a real solo-trip: you, yourself, the moon. Good if you like the idea, not a perfect game, but quite enjoyable.

This shit keeps on delivering :D
I platinumed The Witness today, is this similar? Is there at least more variety in the puzzles?

Vagos48

It has to be a bug or something or maybe it's another weird mystery. Please call the face off police .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom