• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

reksveks

Yup. Flight Sim even got a PEGI rating for Xbox One.

But Deathloop & Ghostwire Tokyo are next gen only tho, so Starfield may be as well.
(And there's a small chance that Starfield even comes out on PS5, but that's unlikely.)
Deathloop won't be on Xbox until Sept 2022 tho. And Ghostwire might not even ship on PS5 til 2022, and Xbox in 2023.

If there's a Forza Horizon 5 this year, its gonna be an Xbox One game too, just like Halo.
And Psychonauts 2 is coming out on PS4.

I think Forza Motorsport could be the first XBS exclusive. In probably 2022, like GT7. Starfield is other possibility.
Long time to wait for the 12 floppies to be shown off.
Did control on switch get a pegi rating? There is little chance imo that flight simulator is running natively on the xbox one.

Stuart360

Did control on switch get a pegi rating? There is little chance imo that flight simulator is running natively on the xbox one.
I doubt the XB1 could even run FS at 720p/30.
Phil himself has only ever mentioned FS for Series consoles, so i doubt it comes to XB1. Even the OneX would struggle to run the game at 30fps.

reksveks

I doubt the XB1 could even run FS at 720p/30.
Phil himself has only ever mentioned FS for Series consoles, so i doubt it comes to XB1. Even the OneX would struggle to run the game at 30fps.
Personally think it was an accident or just preparing for a streaming version.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
FidelityFX-Super-Resolution.jpg

tenor.gif

I’m curious to what issues they are having...
“Even though it’s progressing well, we still have more work to do[...] We want to launch it this year. We believe we can do that this year, but at the same time we have a lot more work ahead of us. We need to make sure the image quality is there. We need to make sure it can scale from different resolutions, and [...] our game developers are happy with what we are producing.”

That was said in March. Also talked about trying several different solutions still. I'm doubtful of this year, but you never know.

He said it when they revealed the game at 2018 E3.

'We are working on a next generation single player game'

Now that doesnt mean it wont come to current gen of course. We will just have to wait and see.

Calling it a next generation game was never a confirmation that it's next gen exclusive. Just means the tech they're using is next gen i.e their animation system

He's alluded in interviews previously that it could be on current gen.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Calling it a next generation game was never a confirmation that it's next gen exclusive.

He's alluded in interviews previously that it could be cross gen.
You mean the company that put Skyrim on anything and everything the past 3 generations is going to have their next Skyrim in space, be only on two platforms? We shall see.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Recent interview they were "hopeful for a 2021 release".. which is business terms for "probably 2022."

After seeing Returnal being using a base of 1080p I'm really shocked! Yeah it doesn't look like native 4K, but it looks mostly sharp and near 1800p. I think with a proper engine and bigger Sony 1st party we should see something crazy, like Horizon Forbidden West for example.

Returnal_20210423005302.jpg

E0QV-jHXMAQbras

Yes there are many low rez textures, but with a bigger budget we can still squeeze a lot from 1080p and give that extra headroom for more RT or higher fidelity.

kyliethicc

Alex from DF would have a field day if that happens, I would love to see the compromises that they would have to take.
I kinda assume the XBO build of that game exists, but it just runs / looks like ass so it probably got cancelled. Hence why they've only said XBS so far.

Its not like putting it on XBO would get them millions of extra sales anyways. Pretty niche game, gp, etc.

Anchovie123

(Best to watch the whole segment for better context)

DF got their head in the sand as usual? Unless I'm misinterpreting whats being said here Rich seems to be implying that the principles behind DirectX storage and Sampler feedback (Texture culling/streaming ect) will only be doable on Xbox? Completely ignoring what Cerny and other developers have been saying about PS5 since 2020.

Its the same arguments you see on this forum... Microsoft announce they're using some exclusive DirectX tech so that must assume Sony doesnt have alternatives and cant do it! 🤡 🤡 🤡

DF got their head in the sand as usual? Unless I'm misinterpreting whats being said here Rich seems to be implying that the principles behind DirectX storage and Sampler feedback (Texture culling/streaming ect) will only be doable on Xbox? Completely ignoring what Cerny and other developers have been saying about PS5 since 2020.

Its the same arguments you see on this forum... Microsoft announce they're using some exclusive DirectX tech so that must assume Sony doesnt have alternatives and cant do it! 🤡 🤡 🤡

these guys for months have been talking about what feature “xbox has and playstation doesn’t have”, yet we haven’t really seen any tangible evidence of this in any games, it’s all just fruitless buzzwords for now.

sometimes I’m glad Sony went with the “we’ll let the games do the talking” approach.

kyliethicc

these guys for months have been talking about what feature “xbox has and playstation doesn’t have”, yet we haven’t really seen any tangible evidence of this in any games, it’s all just fruitless buzzwords for now.

sometimes I’m glad Sony went with the “we’ll let the games do the talking” approach.
wait til next E3 you'll see

these guys for months have been talking about what feature “xbox has and playstation doesn’t have”, yet we haven’tUp really seen any tangible evidence of this in any games, it’s all just fruitless buzzwords for now.

I do appreciate how open Microsoft has been with the XSX. But what I like to see the most is the technology with the actual games that we will be playing.

I'm more of a fan of Sonys approach because while the tech explanation as in depth as Microsoft's, just seeing it in action is preferable to me. Like how Cerny kept talking about the SSD and it's capabilities and then we get this.

"The I/O is extremely fast and here's our proof."

That's the kind of stuff that I really like to see. It really makes me worry less about a platform when I'm shown how good games can look on it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
After seeing Returnal being using a base of 1080p I'm really shocked! Yeah it doesn't look like native 4K, but it looks mostly sharp and near 1800p. I think with a proper engine and bigger Sony 1st party we should see something crazy, like Horizon Forbidden West for example.

E0QV-jHXMAQbras

Yes there are many low rez textures, but with a bigger budget we can still squeeze a lot from 1080p and give that extra headroom for more RT or higher fidelity.
Textures :messenger_savoring:

So that's third game on consoles which has sharp textures. DS, The Medium and now Returnal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

My goodness, it's like they're a PR extension sometimes. I wonder why that is? :pie_thinking:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

cragarmi

E0QV-jHXMAQbras

and if you cant tell it's low res just by looking, who cares?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I do appreciate how open Microsoft has been with the XSX. But what I like to see the most is the technology with the actual games that we will be playing.

I'm more of a fan of Sonys approach because while the tech explanation as in depth as Microsoft's, just seeing it in action is preferable to me. Like how Cerny kept talking about the SSD and it's capabilities and then we get this.

"The I/O is extremely fast and here's our proof."

That's the kind of stuff that I really like to see. It really makes me worry less about a platform when I'm shown how good games can look on it.

Agree.

"Actions speak louder than words"

Not knocking MS for revealing so much about the Series consoles but still.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ladies and Gentlemen, the greatest game of the gen right here

LOL. And I thought the NPCs in Bethesda games were dumb as rocks. At least when there's danger they'll run around a bit before getting back to normal NPC mode.

It's hilarious how a dragon can attack and NPCs are going ape shit, then you kill it and it's giant dragon bones are sitting there on the outskirts of town where people were running scared. About 3 seconds after it's killed, NPCs act like nothing happened.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
and if you cant tell it's low res just by looking, who cares?

That actually makes me question what would AMD's Super Resolution add above that? Also, this is a very small studio, and using UE4. Things will get spicy with UE5 as you only have traditional LOD's for characters/NPC's and other dynamic objects that don't work on Nanite like trees and so. And for that, I'm not sure how Atom View manages to even "atom" stream moving objects like human character or that nasty alien plant. They're using Voxels AFAIK, which I knew very little about the difference between voxels and polygons in gaming.

Atom View is a revolutionary point-cloud rendering, editing, and coloring software solution for volumetric virtual production. Atom View enables content creators to visualize, edit, color correct and manage volumetric data. Atom View can combine multiple volumetric data sets captured from different angles producing a single output for use in virtual film productions, video games, and interactive experiences with true photoreal cinematic quality. This advanced software engine is giving content creators incredible technology to tell stories in new and amazing ways.

Now onesvenus onesvenus will be upset again as he pops out whenever I say "Atom View" like a Genie :lollipop_tears_of_joy: .

They might start using Atom View for VR gaming before traditional games, I think, as VR games tend to have garbage graphics because of how demanding they are, so voxel as it sounds seems like a cheaper solution computation-wise?

Anyway, UE5 uses voxels for cheap rendering of that flock of bats inside the cave of the demo with some kinda AI of how they move around obstacles.

4K is always the perfect resolution for 4K tv's, but what I saw with Spiderman MM Performance RT makes me more than happy, even though the 4K mode still looks sharper and cleaner.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

E0QV-jHXMAQbras

I said this in another thread but if this game is 1080p and a launch window title, whats gonna happen when 1080p games start showing up on the xsx? Where does that leave the xss version? 540p? 480p upscaled to 1080p?

Upscaling works in Returnal because at least the base image is 1080p, would it work when the base image is 540p?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I said this in another thread but if this game is 1080p and a launch window title, whats gonna happen when 1080p games start showing up on the xsx? Where does that leave the xss version? 540p? 480p upscaled to 1080p?

Upscaling works in Returnal because at least the base image is 1080p, would it work when the base image is 540p?

As a PS5 owner only, I don't give a fuck about multiplats that will get dragged to the mud. In last decade my top 5 at least are all PS studios games. It's a disastrous console, as the upper ones aren't even powerful enough against the likes of 3090/6900XT which both will age as well in 7 years.

A PS5 Pro is a must and it's already kinda ready with 6800XT layout (72CU's instead of 76CU's).

I can imagine it would be something like Resident Evil 8 on the X1S. It basically is a reconstructed 900P image.

That's 900P Native vs 900P reconstructed. At high resolution the reconstruction looks fine (PS5 + XSX) but down to the X1S level it starts to look really poor.

Credit to Md Ray Md Ray for the image.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

The Medium on Sbox dips to 600p. No RT. Dips to 20 fps.

On SX its 900p, but with RT shadows, still dips to 20 fps.

Next gen.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Next gen 1080p of PS5 feels like youtube 1080p vs out of the camera, uncompressed 1080p footage. It's like 4K now and before, the difference in IQ is usually obvious.

If this is 1080p on Returnal, I would take it over the graphics of Halo Infinite that's dynamic 4K.

Returnal, look how sharp are the far details:

07mRnjOqsHNuN4Cnmf9c8Mn-3.jpg

RDR2 PC ultra 4K, the small mountain in front of him is around the same distance as the mountain in front of Selene.

fhmfqskfmsy.jpg

All this and Returnal isn't done by a big studio, nor I expect it to cost more than $40M max. This is really something interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom