• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
these guys for months have been talking about what feature “xbox has and playstation doesn’t have”, yet we haven’t really seen any tangible evidence of this in any games, it’s all just fruitless buzzwords for now.

sometimes I’m glad Sony went with the “we’ll let the games do the talking” approach.
Does Sony have hardware acceleration that’s similar to what MS is doing?

(honest question I’m not sure)

Rea

Returnal is the game which proves that a game doesn't need to be technical masterpiece or technically impressive, to be fun. The immersion in this game is pure love. The audio, the haptics feedback, the mysterious and creepy atmosphere, and the gameplay, and also the loading time. This is the next gen experiences what Cerny's talking about. Thank god Cerny didn't follow the stupid Tflops war and built a system that strike the balance between giving players new experiences and powerful.

Next gen 1080p of PS5 feels like youtube 1080p vs out of the camera, uncompressed 1080p footage. It's like 4K now and before, the difference in IQ is usually obvious.

If this is 1080p on Returnal, I would take it over the graphics of Halo Infinite that's dynamic 4K.

Returnal, look how sharp are the far details:

07mRnjOqsHNuN4Cnmf9c8Mn-3.jpg

RDR2 PC ultra 4K, the small mountain in front of him is around the same distance as the mountain in front of Selene.

fhmfqskfmsy.jpeg

All this and Returnal isn't done by a big studio, nor I expect it to cost more than $40M max. This is really something interesting.
This game man, bought it on a whim yesterday and can't stop thinking about it even when I force myself to stop playing. It's one of the most incredible game experiences I felt in a long time :O

The visuals and the sound design are unbelievable honestly. I get all the positive reviews now, I really do.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Next gen 1080p of PS5 feels like youtube 1080p vs out of the camera, uncompressed 1080p footage. It's like 4K now and before, the difference in IQ is usually obvious.

If this is 1080p on Returnal, I would take it over the graphics of Halo Infinite that's dynamic 4K.

RDR2 PC ultra 4K, the small mountain in front of him is around the same distance as the mountain in front of Selene.

fhmfqskfmsy.jpg

All this and Returnal isn't done by a big studio, nor I expect it to cost more than $40M max. This is really something interesting.

Changed the host for the RDR2 photo, it wasn't showing.

This game man, bought it on a whim yesterday and can't stop thinking about it even when I force myself to stop playing. It's one of the most incredible game experiences I felt in a long time :O

The visuals and the sound design are unbelievable honestly. I get all the positive reviews now, I really do.

Impressive game, indeed! We need more games with such a unique flavor ;).

Last edited:

fhmfqskfmsy.jpg

I think the comparison is difficult, because that's a "static" photo for Returnal and a "moving" one (on horse) for RDR2.
But I agree that Returnal feels very clean, nice and gave a feeling of detailed graphics (don't know how to say that), more than DS for example. Some will joke on me, but in (very) few scenes where the resolution was not too low for example, difficult to explain but I had similar feeling with the Medium.
With bigger teams and budget (for exclusive NG games) will have fucking impressive games. And Returnal clearly shows that resolution is not the key.

Last edited:
I said this in another thread but if this game is 1080p and a launch window title, whats gonna happen when 1080p games start showing up on the xsx? Where does that leave the xss version? 540p? 480p upscaled to 1080p?

Upscaling works in Returnal because at least the base image is 1080p, would it work when the base image is 540p?

I think that you are aware that image quality is far better than 1080p native image can provide.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

The sound design is amazing. Some of it is part of the gameplay.

If near a chest, etc blocked by a gate, aim and you can hear the hidden door lock you have to shoot to open the gate. And IIRC it flashes red when aiming

Thirty7ven

Banned
They may not have hardware for sampler feedback, but all the hardware they have for their end-to-end storage solution is both faster and more potent than XSX/S (from SSD to decompression hw, to I/O logic and co-processors).

They have hardware support for sampler feedback, this has been common in GPUs. It's the streaming bit which is exclusive to Xbox, which are HW filters that help prevent clipping at the edges for textures arriving late(straight from a Xbox engineer mouth - well, fingers since it was a twitter post). This is not a problem on PS5 due to the fast, low latency nature of its I/O complex. Textures won't arrive late, as seen in something as crazy as the U5 demo.

Unfortunately all of this gets lost in translation, gotta war.

yamaci17

Low resolution makes less difference in darker areas/darker compositions. This is what I observed in Cyberpunk. And coincidentally, all the pictures from Returnal that are posted claiming the game looks "sharp" has some kind of darkness to it. Maybe it's the game's overall environment but again, concidentally, RDR 2 picture is taken under a completely sun-lit area that exposes TAA's downsides (if you're at 4K). This is the primary reason why the players who played The Medium on Series S s did not rage, because the entire game takes place in dark areas

So I would like you to invite to share a couple more screenshots from brighter areas. Even then, it just looks like native 1080p. nothing impressive.

oh and that rdr2 pic is taken from gamersyde, and even though they share high bitrate videos, they still lose quality versus a native image but you do you

Last edited:

Vagos48

I think the comparison is difficult, because that's a "static" photo for Returnal and a "moving" one (on horse) for RDR2.
But I agree that Returnal feels very clean, nice and gave a feeling of detailed graphics (don't know how to say that), more than DS for example. Some will joke on me, but in (very) few scenes where the resolution was not too low for example, difficult to explain but I had similar feeling with the Medium.
With bigger teams and budget (for exclusive NG games) will have fucking impressive games. And Returnal clearly shows that resolution is not the key.
If we take into account that when in motion and in game mode most TVs , apart from oled, lose the ability to produce the clarity needed to properly display ULTRA HD and even FULL HD, then the whole resolution subject should be put to rest. Let's talk about the graphics instead.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
They have hardware support for sampler feedback, this has been common in GPUs. It's the streaming bit which is exclusive to Xbox, which are HW filters that help prevent clipping at the edges for textures arriving late(straight from a Xbox engineer mouth - well, fingers since it was a twitter post). This is not a problem on PS5 due to the fast, low latency nature of its I/O complex. Textures won't arrive late, as seen in something as crazy as the U5 demo.

You would think that by now some ppl would realize and understand using a custom, different solution for basically the same thing doesnt equal its lacking.

....its just different....

Like you say, console wars are serious business.

Thanks for the insight. Heck, this makes all MS fanboy's boasting and bravado even more hollow.

Thirty7ven

Banned

(Best to watch the whole segment for better context)

DF got their head in the sand as usual? Unless I'm misinterpreting whats being said here Rich seems to be implying that the principles behind DirectX storage and Sampler feedback (Texture culling/streaming ect) will only be doable on Xbox? Completely ignoring what Cerny and other developers have been saying about PS5 since 2020.

Its the same arguments you see on this forum... Microsoft announce they're using some exclusive DirectX tech so that must assume Sony doesnt have alternatives and cant do it! 🤡 🤡 🤡

It’s embarrassing, but that’s what you get when people who are not developers and their job amounts to reading data from a capture card and using their eyes to identify popular rendering techniques. Seemingly showing a complete disregard for implementations at an API level having different naming conventions. Let’s not forget these are the same guys who spread fud about PS5 not supporting HW RT...

Basically they think that Direct X is the only show in town, and they define what’s what for the rest of the industry. All they define is API terms for their platforms.

Last edited:
I'm kinda glad that DF are showing such a wanton disregard for their own reputation and freely displaying how clueless and how much of a joke they are.

They've been a problematic publication for a long time. Clearly not at all objective on anything. So it's kinda vindicating that they're pissing away all their goodwill of their own accord, by their own consistent string of gaffes and blunders.

They style themselves as experts when they clearly aren't, and so it's problematic when gamers don't do their own research to inform themselves and instead look to these folks as authorities when they simply don't have the credibility to be seen as such. They're enthusiasts like us, and so should be seen as such.

In comparison, NXGamer NXGamer is very clear about his background and credentials. While at the same time making sure to stick closely to the facts in his reporting, clearly distinguishing between what is fact and what is his own personal speculation. DF don't hold themselves to this same standard of rigour in their reporting. They mix facts with speculation and narratives, ending up with egg on their faces when it proves them consistently wrong.

kyliethicc

Wow, didn't know Sunset Overdrive being an Insomniac IP! I thought it was an Xbox IP. It's one of the games that had me on the edge of getting an xbox one back then along with PS4. Would love to play the next sequel!
Insomniac bought the IP from MS before Sony bought them. Sony owns it now.

MS still owns the publishing rights for the 1st game tho.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm kinda glad that DF are showing such a wanton disregard for their own reputation and freely displaying how clueless and how much of a joke they are.

They've been a problematic publication for a long time. Clearly not at all objective on anything. So it's kinda vindicating that they're pissing away all their goodwill of their own accord, by their own consistent string of gaffes and blunders.

They style themselves as experts when they clearly aren't, and so it's problematic when gamers don't do their own research to inform themselves and instead look to these folks as authorities when they simply don't have the credibility to be seen as such. They're enthusiasts like us, and so should be seen as such.

In comparison, NXGamer NXGamer is very clear about his background and credentials. While at the same time making sure to stick closely to the facts in his reporting, clearly distinguishing between what is fact and what is his own personal speculation. DF don't hold themselves to this same standard of rigour in their reporting. They mix facts with speculation and narratives, ending up with egg on their faces when it proves them consistently wrong.
The thing that infuriates me about DF isnt the lack of knowledge, it's the fact that they have almost unprecedented access to game development studios. They dont even need to have these guys go on the record, just send a polite inquiry and clear up some of this stuff instead of making assumptions.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dusk Golem was right. RE8 is better on xsx. Better eye lashes!

#EyeLashGate

In all seriousness, 9-10% better performance on XSX compared to the PS5. No evidence of PS5 struggling to do 1080p while the xsx does native 4k 60 fps. I guess we can put this saga to rest.

The sound design is amazing. Some of it is part of the gameplay.

If near a chest, etc blocked by a gate, aim and you can hear the hidden door lock you have to shoot to open the gate. And IIRC it flashes red when aiming
Did you get the
small music box
already?
Such strong vibes of Bloodborne I'm getting here. My mind is blown, I really wasn't prepared for such a game :)

elliot5

@Anchovie123

(Best to watch the whole segment for better context)

DF got their head in the sand as usual? Unless I'm misinterpreting whats being said here Rich seems to be implying that the principles behind DirectX storage and Sampler feedback (Texture culling/streaming ect) will only be doable on Xbox? Completely ignoring what Cerny and other developers have been saying about PS5 since 2020.

Its the same arguments you see on this forum... Microsoft announce they're using some exclusive DirectX tech so that must assume Sony doesnt have alternatives and cant do it! 🤡 🤡 🤡
It’s embarrassing, but that’s what you get when people who are not developers and their job amounts to reading data from a capture card and using their eyes to identify popular rendering techniques. Seemingly showing a complete disregard for implementations at an API level having different naming conventions. Let’s not forget these are the same guys who spread fud about PS5 not supporting HW RT...

Basically they think that Direct X is the only show in town, and they define what’s what for the rest of the industry. All they define is API terms for their platforms.
I think you're misinterpreting what Richard is saying when you take into context what Alex said just before. I took it as, Sony is the baseline (meaning, industry leader and has more SSD brute force) and Microsoft has these DirectX API features specific to their hardware to improve performance with their SSD/GPU (DirectStorage). It could be an uphill battle to convince third parties to adopt said technologies/APIs instead of just relying on SSD brute force on both PS5 and XSX.

Last edited:

reksveks

I think you're misinterpreting what Richard is saying when you take into context what Alex said just before. I took it as, Sony is the baseline (meaning, industry leader and has more SSD brute force) and Microsoft has these DirectX API features specific to their hardware to improve performance with their SSD/GPU (DirectStorage). It could be an uphill battle to convince third parties to adopt said technologies/APIs instead of just relying on SSD brute force on both PS5 and XSX.
I was going to post that but I didn't have the energy to post it so cheers.

kyliethicc

Nothing about the PS5 I/O is "brute force."

And the baseline for 3rd party multiplats is the Xbox's slower I/O that will hold back the entire gen.

Last edited:

Bergoglio

Returnal is the game which proves that a game doesn't need to be technical masterpiece or technically impressive, to be fun. The immersion in this game is pure love. The audio, the haptics feedback, the mysterious and creepy atmosphere, and the gameplay, and also the loading time. This is the next gen experiences what Cerny's talking about. Thank god Cerny didn't follow the stupid Tflops war and built a system that strike the balance between giving players new experiences and powerful.
Your post speaks as if what you wrote it's a PS prerogative. It's deeply wrong to claim this.

Everything you wrote is achievable on every non Playstation hardware.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nothing about the PS5 I/O is "brute force."

And the baseline for 3rd party multiplats is the Xbox's slower I/O that will hold back the entire gen.

People forget that PC will have PCIe 5.0 next that will have 32GB/s bandwidth (8GB/s for each lane "4x" for NVMe m.2) that will make PS5 outdated and Xbox EXTREMELY outdated!

With PCIe 5, the bandwidth, gigatransfer, and frequency are all doubled from the prior generation, which means that data can be transferred at substantially faster speeds. Here, you're looking at 32 gigatransfers per second, or 32 GT/s, a 128 GB/s bandwidth in an x16 configuration, and a frequency of 32GHz.

One platform will just age like milk. That's my next build, OverHeat OverHeat .

Last edited:
People forget that PC will have PCIe 5.0 next that will have 32GB/s bandwidth (8GB/s for each lane "4x" for NVMe m.2) that will make PS5 outdated and Xbox EXTREMELY outdated!

With PCIe 5, the bandwidth, gigatransfer, and frequency are all doubled from the prior generation, which means that data can be transferred at substantially faster speeds. Here, you're looking at 32 gigatransfers per second, or 32 GT/s, a 128 GB/s bandwidth in an x16 configuration, and a frequency of 32GHz.

other than load times that amount of bandwidth will mean little in terms of game design and streaming, good luck trying to saturate 32 GB/s of data or anything more.

Even more so when you consider that 16 GB of RAM will also be the standard for the next few years because of RAM prices increasing.

kyliethicc

Except the baseline for PC gaming will continue to be SATA SSDs / PCIe 3.0 motherboards for many years. Maybe eventually some games will require PCIe 4.0 boards / drives. Those users with 5.0 boards / drives will never see them be fully used by this gen of games. There won't be any multiplat games designed for PCIe 5.0 until PS6.

It's like how in 2018 a PC user could have had a PCIe 3.0 motherboard & Gen3 M.2 drive. But every game they were playing was designed to run on SATA HDDs. So it was a waste mostly. Bit faster loads sure.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Except the baseline for PC gaming will continue to be SATA SSDs / PCIe 3.0 motherboards for many years. Maybe eventually some games will require PCIe 4.0 boards / drives. Those users with 5.0 boards / drives will never see them be fully used by this gen of games. There won't be any multiplat games designed for PCIe 5.0 until PS6.

Dj Khaled Compliment GIF

other than load times that amount of bandwidth will mean little in terms of game design and streaming, good luck trying to saturate 32 GB/s of data or anything more.

Even more so when you consider that 16 GB of RAM will also be the standard for the next few years because of RAM prices increasing.

Canadian Agree GIF by CBC

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Sadly if the game is gonna be on Series S then the standard is just 7 GB RAM.

Games like Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark, Forza, Starfield, Doom, Halo, Elder Scrolls, etc... and plenty of 3rd parties... will all have to be made to work with just 2 GB more RAM than last gen, which is still 2 GB less than the last gen One X had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom