• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thedtrain

Totally agree.

PM me the name monsieur.

Congratulations on the baby :)

Was about to choke on my breakfast 😂

I'm looking at you 👁
Thanks! 18 months, quite a handful.

Heisen was the first person that came to mind for me as well.

Reactions: TLZ

Ovech-King

giphy.gif

Enabling all the CU's on the chip is not exactly out of the realms of possibility. TSMC's N7 has shockingly great yields (0.09 defects/cm2 for the Mobile variant and estimated 0.06 defects/cm2 for HPC). If PS5 is Oberon and Oberon is ~320mm2, the fully functioning chip yield will be 75% if its 0.09 defects/cm2 and as high as 83% if its 0.06 defects/cm2. Add to the fact that not all defects will be critical so usable chips may well be higher than that...

Yes, their acceptance criteria would need to change, but if they're desperate to crank out that little extra performance, its not exactly impossible.

Last edited:

-kb-

I received a pm but I have no idea what the person is saying lmao

This: By this IDs 69B0:71 = 7360:41 or 7362:71. komachi find benchmark results with more info about the gpus

And this:

The PM is probably about this.

Enabling all the CU's on the chip is not exactly out of the realms of possibility. TSMC's N7 has shockingly great yields (0.09 defects/cm2 for the Mobile variant and estimated 0.06 defects/cm2 for HPC). If PS5 is Oberon and Oberon is ~320mm2, the fully functioning chip yield will be 75% if its 0.09 defects/cm2 and as high as 83% if its 0.06 defects/cm2. Add to the fact that not all defects will be critical so usable chips may well be higher than that...

Yes, their acceptance criteria would need to change, but if they're desperate to crank out that little extra performance, its not exactly impossible.

Its not impossible but its a silly move, 2.0Ghz will draw an insane amount power and also produce an insane amount of heat. The yields for the chips themselves will likely be good but I don't think the number that actually can reach 2.0Ghz will be that high.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I received a pm but I have no idea what the person is saying lmao

This: By this IDs 69B0:71 = 7360:41 or 7362:71. komachi find benchmark results with more info about the gpus

And this:
If you look under PCI ID/Driver ID for 69B0 and 7360. You'll see: Navi 12, GFX1011 and RDNA 1 / GCN 1.5.1 / RX5000 series.

TeamGhobad

Banned
I know 😃, was just poking fun. I think I've actually come that same video on YouTube a while ago.

first time i saw it i thought it was computer generated i was like wholly moly thats some nice graphics, but i think we are about 2 gens away from that. we need about 50 tflops for that.

Reactions: Dim

Reindeer

will games look this good nexgen?

On the serious note, I think we'll get graphics that will look somewhat better than what Nvidia showed in that Infiltrator demo a while back. Games like Ghost of Tshushima, Last of Us 2 and FF7 are really pushing outdated hardware from 7 years ago to levels I never thought were possible, can only imagine what the top devs will do with new consoles.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
The PM is probably about this.

Hmm Navi 12, 36 CU, 1.114ghz: 5.2tf.

IF this was related to a next gen console, maybe Lockhart? Or a Switch home console (rumor)?

Reindeer

I know wccftech is garbage for the most part with their endless clickbait articles but this gave me a chuckle. :messenger_smirking:

So a guy who suffered a "mildly unpleasant" experience with Microsoft is throwing shade at Microsoft? Color me surprised.

So a guy who suffered a "mildly unpleasant" experience with Microsoft is throwing shade at Microsoft? Color me surprised.

It's one thing if fanboys and console warriors on forums do it, but these dudes are supposed to be professionals. They're supposed to be above that stuff and set a standard for behavior. This ain't it, chief.

• LOL
Reactions: Dim

ZywyPL

Banned

I was thinking about it the other day - most PC folks run quad-core CPUs, around 4-6TF GPUs, HDD, and 4K on PC almost doesn't exist, and yet, (most likely) the same people claim that a 9TF PS5 with 8C CPU, SSD and 4K out of the box would be "underpowered" and hold back the games. Logic has been raped so many times in the past weeks it's not even funny.

Reindeer

I was thinking about it the other day - most PC folks run quad-core CPUs, around 4-6TF GPUs, HDD, and 4K on PC almost doesn't exist, and yet, (most likely) the same people claim that a 9TF PS5 with 8C CPU, SSD and 4K out of the box would be "underpowered" and hold back the games. Logic has been raped so many times in the past weeks it's not even funny.
Even at 9 tflops (assuming it is that) it will be a considerably bigger jump from base consoles than what current gen consoles were over PS3/360. This is on a GPU side alone, there's also a huge jump in CPU and storage tech. People just love to complain. Most of the noise on the PC side is made by the Elitists who represent less than 10% of the PC market.

Guys why do you think upto now 2 developers are speaking against xsx ? First it was randy pitchford who was not impressed then yesterday jonathan blow is implying he is not impressed by it . Then we have plethora of devs talk positive abour ps5 and ssd and dont make single mention of xsx.

Whats happening ? What are we missing ? Are they pissed off about lockhart?

Nickolaidas

Guys why do you think upto now 2 developers are speaking against xsx ? First it was randy pitchford who was not impressed then yesterday jonathan blow is implying he is not impressed by it . Then we have plethora of devs talk positive abour ps5 and ssd and dont make single mention of xsx.

BUH BUHBUHBUH BUH but Lockheart won't drag down next gen!!!

BUHBUHBUH

BUH

Racer!

Probably. But the commitment MS has made to have every game going forward run on Xbox one is probably even more damaging. Expect to see a lot of quantity over quality on the MS side. My belief is consumers will see right through that, and will reward those willing to innovate and push forward. Will be exciting to see which strategy pays off.

Last edited:

DJ12

I guess they are both butt hurt by the way ms treated them / just opinionated idiots with an axe to grind or they are just telling it how it is. Depends which narrative you are following I guess.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Probably. But the commitment MS has made to have every game going forward run on Xbox one is probably even more damaging. Expect to see a lot of quantity over quality on the MS side. My belief is consumers will see right through that, and will reward those willing to innovate and push forward. Will be exciting to see which strategy pays off.
I'm sure that won't last long as they already announced Hellblade 2 being exclusive to next gen platforms. Microsoft is very inconsistent with their messaging so they will say certain things to appease their fans only to change their minds short while later.

OK fellas 1 question! ( im noob at tech stuff and playstation only player)

the 9 teraflop ps5 and 36 cu ( i dont care about what it does )

but in this case

The VR part of playstation, does it get any improvement?

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

but in this case

We haven't heard anything psvr 2 related yet. I'm hoping something about it is revealed or shown at CES.

Oddspeak

Pretty impressive how a single web page rips apart so much ridiculous rhetoric.

DJ12

but in this case

It will be more than his enough to do 1080p at 60 FPS per eye at full detail levels in my opinion. This will be half the pixels of 4k so more than possible.

Don't get too caught up on the flops.

There's been no mention of a new vr kit as far as I'm aware so I guess the current hardware will work going forwards for a good while

TBiddy

I'm sure that won't last long as they already announced Hellblade 2 being exclusive to next gen platforms. Microsoft is very inconsistent with their messaging so they will say certain things to appease their fans only to change their minds short while later.

Was that confirmed by Microsoft?

TBiddy

Yes.

This came after a fan asked him on Twitter about Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II exclusivity. Greenberg said, “It’s being made exclusively for Xbox and PC.”

I interpret that as they still haven't decided if they want to release on current-gen or only on next-gen.

Last edited:

Reindeer

So, multiplatform.
If by multiplatform you mean Xbox and PC then yes. Greenberg confirmed that it's only coming to Xbox and PC. The game was officially revealed as Series X title and PC was mentioned by Greenberg afterward. Microsoft did not mention that it will be coming to current gen Xbox consoles.

Last edited:

Gudji

Yes.

Errrr not really.

This came after a fan asked him on Twitter about Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II exclusivity. Greenberg said, “It’s being made exclusively for Xbox and PC.” He did not elaborate on what “Xbox” meant and if it could mean the sequel would appear on both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X.

Reindeer

Errrr not really.
I thought Greenberg saying Xbox could just be him directly wording his response to how the question was asked. Didn't Microsoft also confirm that Series X will just be called Xbox? So far the only two platforms it's definitely been confirmed for are Series X and PC. Maybe I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom