• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

Just a reminder that 20 pc TFLOPS are about 10 console TFLOPS

We back at that Carmack quote from before low overhead PC APIs were available again?

Bespoke hardware definitely has an optimization edge, but with Vulkan/DX12 2x is a stretch imo, Carmack was saying that when PC APIs were a literal order of magnitude slower than now and slower than console APIs. And the best looking examples on consoles are usually incomparable because they're exclusives, who knows what that dev talent applied to a PC would look like.

Nickolaidas

Well, I have 11 GigaBytes to stream on my mobile when I go to work (sonsofbitches do not let us have internet on our desktops), so I'll watch the PS5 reveal from YouTube without any problems.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Reeee gamers really trying to get PS5 past the 10TF threshold.

Some gamers predicting 40 or more CUs (none disabled) at 2.1 ghz.

That gets 9.2TF past 10 TF.

Last edited:
I know Sage would never throw me a bone, but TBF, there were some rumors way back in 2016 that Sony was considering a more expensive PRO......It could have been a PRO that fed the 64 rops of the PRO with more memory, yet some argued that it could have included a Zen CPU......For PRO, in hindsight, Zen would have been too much of a headache to make work as the mobile APU's for Zen and even 1st gen Ryzen launch after the PRO's launch...…..XBONEX launched closer to the mobile Zen APU, but as Cerny said, compatibility and cost were huge factors......MS was the only manufacturer who had a chance to put Zen in it's mid gen refresh, but the cost would be too much and way too much of a gamble for them after their slow start...The XBONEX with jaguars landed with 32 rops and at $500 dollars......Zen on XBONEX would probably make MS price the XBONEX at $6-700, that would be suicide for a mid gen refresh, seeing as even the $500 XBONEX had to be reduced quickly and was on sale almost immediately after launch.....

Infinite Warfare is dynamic 4K...…….Killer instinct is probably the most basic looking and ugliest fighter the entire gen, those character models and textures (ewww) It also runs flawlessly on a RX 580 at 4k 60fps with a modest CPU, even when supers hit the screen unlike the XBONEX version.....Both Forza 7 and K.I can run easily on very modest PC hardware.....

Resolution may be dynamic, but it never drops below 4k in Pro, just like it never drops below 1080p in base console. The reason for DR is that the PS3 game engine already featured this.

Also, many games on X are also using dynamic resolution, do ocasionally drop below 4k and people gleefully ignore this.
No ignores it at all. Some on here are saying that you cant count one x games that have dynamic resolution as native 4k, and so neither can you with PS4 Pro. So there are no games on PS4 Pro that are 4k60, as wipeouts resolution is dynamic as per Sony.
That's all.
For some reason certain people just want to minimize the X, and go out of their way to try and find fault with it. It is an excellent console, by far the most powerful, and MS deserve credit for it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
We back at that Carmack quote from before low overhead PC APIs were available again?

Bespoke hardware definitely has an optimization edge, but with Vulkan/DX12 2x is a stretch imo, Carmack was saying that when PC APIs were a literal order of magnitude slower than now and slower than console APIs. And the best looking examples on consoles are usually incomparable because they're exclusives, who knows what that dev talent applied to a PC would look like.
Tbh man.
Just look at gta5 and it running on the xbox 360.
Should be enough proof.

How much better optimized consoles are.
Are they more powerful then pc's ?

No.. ofc not

Motion blur enabled:
-4K output: 2160p with checkerboarding
-1080p output: 1080p with 4x SSAA

Motion Blur disabled:
-4K output: Native 4K with 4x8 EQAA

-1080p output: 1080p with 4x SSAA

Sony themselves say the resolution is dynamic. So it's dynamic. Checkerboarding is different to dynamic resolution.
If dynamic games can be classed as native 4k ,then the X has a ton of them.
And now for some reason you guys are saying DF is a reliable source? I thought they were idiots?

Deto

Banned
Sony themselves say the resolution is dynamic. So it's dynamic. Checkerboarding is different to dynamic resolution.
If dynamic games can be classed as native 4k ,then the X has a ton of them.
And now for some reason you guys are saying DF is a reliable source? I thought they were idiots?

Motion Blur disabled:
-4K output: Native 4K with 4x8 EQAA

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ
I hope that you are not one of the posters who go, show me that's 4k 60 on PRO, there are none.....When you are shown you say "it doesn't count"......Hope you are not one of those.....

In any case, Wipeout is 4k 60fps with not a single framedrop…….It has a DR setup in case it drops, but it never drops.…It's also a remaster with updated visuals and looks better than Forza 7 to me.....Try it normally and try it in VR and be amazed....

So pretty much all these 12TF guys have thin skin, why do they rupture so easily....? Anyone who disagrees with them are politely ignored? Get that ass banned Low Tier God style... :messenger_grinning_smiling:

It could run it actually at 4k 60fps, Forza is not a high bandwidth game...….

Perhaps you have not played it, get on it......
Wipeout has Dynamic resolution to KEEP 60 fps. Its dynamic as per Sony. I hope you're not the type of person who says that if a X game has dynamic resolution then its not native 4k, but if a Pro has one then it is native.
And there is no way Pro could run Forza 7 at native 4k60.
Show me a PC card that has 4.2 tflops that runs it at 4k60. Dont just quote a card, show me a link where a 4.2tflop cars is actually running it like that. Benchmarks please.

• LOL
Reactions: Dim
Question: why are people so convinced that Xbox Lockhart is going to be 4tf? That's slower than the PS4 Pro. Surely that's not right? Are we all certain this is a home console and not some sort of portable device?

If you rank the current and presumed upcoming machines by graphical performance, you've got:

PC[1]
Switch
Xbox One
PS4
Xbox Lockhart
PS4 Pro
Xbox One X
PS5
Xbox Series X
Switch Pro[2]

[1] - My laptop (ancient integrated Intel GPU).
[2] - According to my mate's 8 year old son.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
cdc.jpg

Reindeer

Tbh man.
Should be enough proof.

No.. ofc not
Consoles definitely get more out of their hardware than equivalent PCs, that's not even up for debate. 7800GTX cannot even dream about running some of the later titles in PS3 and 360 library, neither can a PS4 equivalent PC run the best looking PS4 games. With PCs you can always upgrade and easily surpass consoles though.

LordOfChaos

Tbh man.
Should be enough proof.

No.. ofc not

720p and 30fps down to 20? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

An 8800, launched the same month as the PS3, doing 720p/high on GTA v gets 45-50, and high is higher than either the PS3 or 360. It was more powerful than the 360, but at 345Gflops, was it over twice as powerful to get 1.5x the framerate at higher settings?

I do think it's impressive it was running on the 7th gen at all, but I don't see twice the performance for the same given hardware in this.

Reindeer

720p and 30fps down to 20? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

An 8800, launched the same month as the PS3, doing 720p/high on GTA v gets 45-50, and high is higher than either the PS3 or 360. It was more powerful than the 360, but at 345Gflops, was it over twice as powerful to get 1.5x the framerate at higher settings?

I do think it's impressive it was running on the 7th gen at all, but I don't see twice the performance for the same given hardware in this.

Actually PS3 GPU is equivalent to 7800 GTX, the 8800 is obviously quite more powerful.

kungfuian

I really think we might see Sony go with a continuation of the butterfly design found in Pro but with x3 18 cu sections.

A 54 CU chip just seems to make sense for their back compat and PS5 power needs (x18 cu for PS4 emulation, x36 for Pro Emulation, and x54 for full PS5 games). Plu a 60 cu chip with 6 disabled CUs could potentially give them high yields.

54CU at 1.8Ghz gives us a 12.4 Tflop machine, but I think this might be too hot. so maybe something slightly lower like 1.5Ghz for 10.35 Tflops.

• Thoughtful

xool

Anyway I'm trying to figure out a system that would match the 11.6 and 12.4 TF OsirisBlack cited. Here's what I came up with:

56CUs @ 1.62Ghz = 11.61TF => sounds VERY reasonable.

52CUs @ 1,86Ghz ~ 12.4TF => also possible

48CUs @ 2.02Ghz ~ 12.4TF => that's extreme, not very reasonable

the lowly 5700 clocks (when gaming) at 1700MHz, so using that (and the 56CU github leak) puts you right there.

The obvious assumption that the 5700 are the lesser performing binned parts from the 5700XT, which goes way up to 1900GHz [and 4 less broken CUs] ... assuming MS wants to maximise yield then 5700 perf is to be expected, though the silicon lottery may give chips which are capable of way more

56CUs @1.7GHz = 12.1856 TF - dead center

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Actually PS3 GPU is equivalent to 7800 GTX, the 8800 is obviously quite more powerful.

Which I mentioned.

It's more powerful, but it's running at 50% higher framerates at higher settings,for the claim about consoles running the same hardware at 2x the performance to be true, the 8800 would have to be 3x as powerful as the Xenos, which I don't believe it is. Xenos already had unified shaders and ran at 240Gflops.

The 8800 should be around 50% higher pure performance than the Xenos, not 3x, which is what the claim that consoles do twice as much with their hardware would have to be saying.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
No, this is a false statement. Only some PC's will be more powerful, most don't play over 1080p, still many at 720p.
It's not a unified and standardised platform and has no platform holder to subsidise and utilize economies of scale to deliver value to the consumer or to work building developers and relationships to get more content....
It's a huge weakness for PC gaming. You are literally paying a premium for everything on the hardware side.
*cough*

Reindeer

Which I mentioned.

It's more powerful, but it's running at 50% higher framerates at higher settings,for the claim about consoles running the same hardware at 2x the performance to be true, the 8800 would have to be 3x as powerful as the Xenos, which I don't believe it is. Xenos already had unified shaders and ran at 240Gflops.
Sorry, I must have misread your post. I agree with you that 2X is not a correct number, it's definitely quite a bit less than that, but consoles do definitely perform above their PC equivalents. The PS3 GPU was a hybrid of 7600 and 7800, so it's very impressive what it was able to achieve with titles like Last of Us, Uncharted and Crysis 3.

Last edited:

xool

What does this mean

No idea. But he/.she thinks they are all Navi12 IDs [videocardz.com]

See also :

idk but are 69B0:71 , 690B0:F1 etc different binned parts of the same chip .. (?)

[edit] I noticed there are 4 subtypes for 0x7360, and 3 subtypes for 0x69B0 - so they're probably not just aliases for each other .. maybe the codes refer to capabilities of the chips this could be available CU's and max clocks , but that's a pure guess .. could be anything.

btw in that html/xml table they posted - 0x1002 is the vendor ID - AMD - so that helps

pFRjoMU.png

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I will say this, there is someone on here who I refuse to verify, mutually, to protect their very privy source to both machines. He has been posting, but in a way of “their guess/prediction” and not as an “insider” mantle, but I won’t say who it is. We will all find out official specs when they are both announced, and see how close this person was.
Respect it completely. We cannot jeapordize anybodys livelihood just bcus we want answers.
Totally agree.

PM me the name monsieur.

Same, I’m always in a party chat, and I pretty much only play when the wife and baby are asleep anymore so it’s necessary for me to use headphones all the time.
Congratulations on the baby :)

Patcher probably seen mark Cerny say that PS5 has a “better SSD than PC’s” and gone ”herp derp, that part must cost 300 alone!”.
Was about to choke on my breakfast 😂

Everyone is checking old posts....
I'm looking at you 👁

Neofire

Thanks for being inclusive everyone. To me your all homies no matter what race or gender seriously.
Allow me to play devil's advocate, technically(Through DNA) 70% of the individuals in Puerto Rico are of Caucasian descent mainly so don't worry if your white he didn't leave ya out 😜

No idea. But he/.she thinks they are all Navi12 IDs [videocardz.com]

See also :

idk but are 69B0:71 , 690B0:F1 etc different binned parts of the same chip .. (?)

[edit] I noticed there are 4 subtypes for 0x7360, and 3 subtypes for 0x69B0 - so they're probably not just aliases for each other .. maybe the codes refer to capabilities of the chips this could be available CU's and max clocks , but that's a pure guess .. could be anything.

btw in that html/xml table they posted - 0x1002 is the vendor ID - AMD - so that helps

pFRjoMU.png

I received a pm but I have no idea what the person is saying lmao

This: By this IDs 69B0:71 = 7360:41 or 7362:71. komachi find benchmark results with more info about the gpus

And this:

Navi12 PC IDs Check Navi12 row in pic
Komachi digging
rrZ11We.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom