• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dim

Banned
Yes but not physical hardware which Mark Cerny has pointed out.
Yes indeed
But you forget you point it out that next gen must be RDNA 2 because RDNA 1 dont suppport RT????????

5700 series is just RDNA1.
5800 & 5900 are RDNA2, Sony/MS can’t do Ray-Tracing without one of those cards.
How Mark Cerny pointed physical hardware dedicated only to Ray-Tracing???????
OR you trolling me or you forget what you say

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Yes indeed
But you forget you point it out that next gen must be RDNA 2 because RDNA 1 dont suppport RT????????

OR you trolling me or you forget what you say

RDNA 1 doesn’t support hardware Ray-Tracing, I supplied an AMD slide earlier that proved it. Why should we doubt AMD?

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

JFnbneh.png

iz this thng on??

download.jpg

Reindeer

RDNA 1 doesn’t support hardware Ray-Tracing, I supplied an AMD slide earlier that proved it. Why should we doubt AMD?
This has been brought up here a thousand times. They could take certain features from RDNA2 and implement them on custom RDNA1.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
NAVI21 RDNA2/RTRT

That tweet is hard to understand, but unrelated for PS5/SeX, does anyone here know the ballpark timeline for console specs to be basically locked and loaded? I'm not talking about maybe some slight tweaks that are doable like a harddrive bump or something that can be done without messing with the archtecture.

So in this date timeline.....

xxxxx = Locked and loaded specs. No more tweaks. Need to order all the parts to make it
xxxxx = Parts all ready to go. Console maker can now start mass producing them for shipment
xxxxx = Launch batches made (probably a few million to start off). Console maker now starts shipping these around the world
xxxxx = Stores get all the consoles ready to put on shelves. Need time to distribute to stores and prep shelves and pile up console boxes in stores
Nov 2020 = Launch day. Gamers can buy it

Last edited:

Dim

Banned
That tweet is hard to understand, but unrelated for PS5/SeX, does anyone here know the ballpark timeline for console specs to be basically locked and loaded? I'm not talking about maybe some slight tweaks that are doable like a harddrive bump or something that can be done without messing with the archtecture.

So in this date timeline.....

xxxxx = Locked and loaded specs. No more tweaks. Need to order all the parts to make it
xxxxx = Parts all ready to go. Console maker can now start mass producing them for shipment
xxxxx = Launch batches made (probably a few million to start off). Console maker now starts shipping these out by the millions around the world
xxxxx = Stores get all the consoles ready to put on shelves
Nov 2020 = Launch day. Gamers can buy it
So no need to run test,fix BC,correct drivers error,implement Api ,design customization on chip for APU etc
You dont understand some things,is not PC part ,is a console.
Its not a plug and play APU

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So no need to run test,fix BC,correct drivers error,implement Api ,design customization on chip for APU etc
You dont understand some things,is not PC part ,is a console.
Its not a plug and play APU
I purposely didn't put in any of those things because it would make the timeline too nitty gritty. I don't care about testing, prototypes, or anything like that. Just wondering what the timing is when everything is done and the next step is making and shipping it.

Use your head.

Last edited:
So, no new leaks. :messenger_poop:

i guess I'll just check back in a week or two. Y'all had me convinced with the way you were acting last night. I've been hitting refresh all day. :messenger_beaming:

Dim

Banned
Here’s the article where Mark confirms it is hardware based.

That is the last time i talk to you about Ray TRacing
Ouroboros effect is annoying sorry
Cerny says There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware
Nothing to do with RTRT,or tensor style kind of dedicated core in GPU
You dont believe AMD?
AMD says RT is built in in GPU
But RT built in in GPU by AMD means clearly GPU intersection acceleration library with basic support for heterogeneous systems
Cerny talks about API support to Ray TRacing
Never point out RT core in GPU,just acceleration support in the GPU hardware

Dim

Banned
I purposely didn't put in any of those things because it would make the timeline too nitty gritty. I don't care about testing, prototypes, or anything like that. Just wondering what the timing is when everything is done and the next step is making and shipping it.

Use your head.
Probably you dont care about reality,and how a console builded
If you dont care,then you buy a console unable to run any code
Use your head
If your timeline is true and solid then PS5 must launch at Spring of 2019

Last edited:

Dim

Banned
Do you understand English?

Read the first sentence in my post.
You cant make a new gen GPU architecture for a console 100% compatible with your current API and OS in 5 months,you need to delete all the magic tricks you make with RDNA 1 and built up from the start.
Its not Pc where you just put a new GPU new drivers and voila.
CONSOLE APU is 200% custom shit optimized for specific soc and chipset.
If you believe in 10 months they can run and test all the shit and they are able to go against of the fails due production line (in APUs or MoBo etc)and have your console ready in boxes in 8 month ready to ship OK
Btw the rush on production line means automatically double price

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

That is the last time i talk to you about Ray TRacing
Ouroboros effect is annoying sorry
Cerny says There is ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU hardware
Nothing to do with RTRT,or tensor style kind of dedicated core in GPU
You dont believe AMD?
AMD says RT is built in in GPU
But RT built in in GPU by AMD means clearly GPU intersection acceleration library with basic support for heterogeneous systems
Cerny talks about API support to Ray TRacing
Never point out RT core in GPU,just acceleration support in the GPU hardware
Come on are you really gonna start this lol.

This is like when Phil said 12tf and people wanted clarification on gcn or rdna 12

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You cant make a new gen GPU architecture for a console 100% compatible with your current API and OS in 5 months,you need to delete all the magic tricks you make with RDNA 1 and built up from the start.
Its not Pc where you just put a new GPU new drivers and voila.
CONSOLE APU is 200% custom shit optimized for specific soc and chipset.
If you believe in 10 months they can run and test all the shit and they are able to go against of the fails due production line (in APUs or MoBo etc)and have your console ready in boxes in 8 month ready to ship OK
Btw the rush on production line means automatically double price
Please continue. I want to hear more.

• LOL
Reactions: Dim

Dim

Banned

This is like when Phil said 12tf and people wanted clarification on gcn or rdna 12
Not even close.
TF are TF,perfomance is perfomance thats why RDNA is x1.5 more power ,thats why new Nvidia is 50% more powerful (x1.5 because of 7nm)
RT acceleration support in GPU is not dedicated hw built in on the GPU like Tensor are
Cerny can easily say we have a dedicated core or unit for RT in Gpu but avoid and talk about acceleration
I am not against that is possible to have dedicated core implantation in GPU by both consoles
But you sound like people talk about gcn vs rdna TF when you find in Cerny statement clear point out of HW RTRT on GPU.
Nobody wants open their cards before the reveal,but was nothing clear from Cerny statement.
Cerny speak wise as Pythia give a double entendre statement so when specs came out can explain easily what means.
At a moment from no clear Cerny explanation ,is open to double meaning and its up to you how perceive it.
I just say am not sure if it is HW or not HW RT ,how you can be so sure then?

Disco_

That tweet is hard to understand, but unrelated for PS5/SeX, does anyone here know the ballpark timeline for console specs to be basically locked and loaded?
Right about now when it comes to APU outside of clock tweaks. Pretty sure Albert said this last week as well as a few other, more knowledgeable folks than me.

Dim

Banned

Use your head.
My apologies
I thought all the time you talk about how long need a console to launch wit the new RDNA2/RTRT GPU on board
Is relative to PS5/Xbox in the war if consoles have RDNA or RDNA 2 because is the first GPU RDNA 2/RTRT if i dont make wrong ,except the rumored Van Gogh APU for we dont have any new infos about

About what you say i believe is the almost the same timeline with 5700XT
CES 2019-JUNE 2019 launch

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Come on are you really gonna start this lol :p

Phil said no such thing. Insiders are pointing to it, sure. I'd be happy if it were true. But when Jen-Hsun or Lisa Su are on stage talking about their newest GPU offering 50% more performance than the last, they're never only talking about Tflops, performance is the endpoint and flops are not, Phil only mentioned performance. For me I'm still waiting on confirmation.

Last edited:

Dim

Banned
Right about now when it comes to APU outside of clock tweaks. Pretty sure Albert said this last week as well as a few other, more knowledgeable folks than me.
Komachi note in a second tweet that think Navi21 get 3 months delay because is still in A0 revision so estimate around Semtember

Last edited:

Dim

Banned
No way we’d be getting Navi21 anyway. That’s going to be more powerful than a 2080TI.
Is the first RDNA2/RTRT GPU we know except Van Gogh Custom APU from Komachi diggings
No other infos in AMD leaks for RDNA 2 APU or NAvi21-22-23

Dabaus

Banned
I was thinking about how both ps1 and DS are among my favorite systems of all time and it dawned on me how both even in their heydey were not very powerful consoles. They both had great software though and that’s why they are memorable. Chasing power is stupid and I hope Sony just aims to be affordable instead of chasing the power crown with Microsoft.

Iam getting a little worried about those techpowerup entries...
What are the odds that so many outlets and reports talk about a 36CU PS5 GPU and later state corrected?

Also Sonys silence is worrying...

Reindeer

I was thinking about how both ps1 and DS are among my favorite systems of all time and it dawned on me how both even in their heydey were not very powerful consoles. They both had great software though and that’s why they are memorable. Chasing power is stupid and I hope Sony just aims to be affordable instead of chasing the power crown with Microsoft.
Things are very different today. Because of social media and YouTube everything gets put under microscope and analyzed at 400% zoom. I agree, Sony don't need to chase power, but they also cannot afford to be 2.8 tflops behind as such a big difference will be damaging from a PR perspective. They will be fine if they're within 1-1.5 tflops range. People also don't want a weak console because we all saw what happened to base Xbox One towards the end of the generation when it came to third party.

Last edited:
Why? They announced the PS5 architecture first. They still have big key titles to sell with PS4s this year.

Information will come soon enough.
Cant follow you, who announced PS5 hardware first and what it has to do with my point?
No offense, just dont see the sense of your post
I talk about the 36CU rumour and how valid it is..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom