• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryank75

Banned
Watch Google buy up major third party developers to give stadia exclusives. Google could buy companies like Rock Star or EA and not even blink. I predict a period of crazy development house buy outs to give more exclusives. You have seen this in the streaming space with Netflix etc paying massive amounts to have exclusivity for programs like friends and Seinfeld.
Meh, they could buy TakeTwo and CDPR and I'd still not pay them a cent.

semicool

Banned
They can with custom build.
Yes. Why is this so hard for people to understand? Especially when they did that very thing for the GPU in the: Xbox original, 360, ps3, PS4, XB1 and XBX all customized, 3rd party customized, GPUs. Oh and GameCube, Dreamcast etc...N64(custom Silicon Graphics anyone) man, again, comprehension is low in on this regard. But I keep seeing post after post #facepalm

Last edited:

Dim

Banned
Because you need to start a production line first maybe?
For the same reason RDNA1 shown at January 2019 maybe???
Amd is not McDonald's
5700 series is just RDNA1.
5800 & 5900 are RDNA2, Sony/MS can’t do Ray-Tracing without one of those cards.
You already can have RT with three different ways before RDNA1 era,the problem with RT is you need extra processes power.
Do you think is coincidences both companies aim to transfer data speeds?
AMD in new PCI 4 motherboards have the ability to offer double performance of PCi4
The secret sauce of both consoles are on PCI 4 speeds and SSD combo

THE:MILKMAN

You have a link perhaps?

Sure: https://www.tele.soumu.go.jp/giteki...=413ul&SN=%94%46%8F%D8&LN=2&R1=*****&R2=*****

Also this is from the leaked docs showing the same model number:

UBVd.png

I've already mentioned it here, I'll be very surprised if we don't reach that level of fidelity next gen. The lighting effects and some of the material work in that Demo don't look as impressive as what the latest Unreal Engine is capable of, so I think In some ways we'll even surpass it.
We havent even reached the level of that Sorcerer demo that was done on base PS4.

Mass Shift

He was full on CrapGamer back in the day lol. The guy just toned down his fanboy antics, but his obvious bias and constantly talking down "PlayStation fanboys" on his podcast gives him away.

Everything your saying is true. It's also true that even biased individuals get tiny bits of valid information. How they choose to color things afterwards is the litmus.

I suspect at least one platform is going to get alot of doom and gloom from now on. Lol

Last edited:

Dim

Banned
5700 series is just RDNA1.
5800 & 5900 are RDNA2, Sony/MS can’t do Ray-Tracing without one of those cards.
AMD already do RT with Radeon cards with Radeon Rays

AMD uses shaders core for RT
A patent application came to light in July 2019, which pointed to AMD utilizing a “hybrid” hardware and software approach to ray tracing. This patent suggests that AMD’s plan for ray tracing involves leveraging bespoke hardware to accelerate it, whilst performing the bulk of the work on more general hardware via software. This, it claims, makes it so that there isn’t too much of a performance hit, without requiring game developers to work with its very specific definition of ray tracing rendering.
3rd way Cloud RT
Just RDNA2 have dedicated cores in GPU for RT as Nvidia have Tensor cores

bitbydeath

Gold Member
AMD already do RT with Radeon cards with Radeon Rays

AMD uses shaders core for RT
A patent application came to light in July 2019, which pointed to AMD utilizing a “hybrid” hardware and software approach to ray tracing. This patent suggests that AMD’s plan for ray tracing involves leveraging bespoke hardware to accelerate it, whilst performing the bulk of the work on more general hardware via software. This, it claims, makes it so that there isn’t too much of a performance hit, without requiring game developers to work with its very specific definition of ray tracing rendering.
3rd way Cloud RT
Just RDNA2 have dedicated cores in GPU for RT as Nvidia have Tensor cores

You do know that Sony and MS have both confirmed they’re using hardware acceleration though right?

For that you need Next-Gen RDNA/RDNA2.

images

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Yeah I'm an Xbox guy, but I want a really strong Sony as well. Hell, I wish Nintendo tried harder with their console power. I have no interest in playing Nintendo games, but I really liked what they did with the GameCube from a tech point of view.
Xbox doesnt have anything together at all yet, we giving them praise because they showed a console and a trailer for a game that's not coming out for three years?

Ill start giving them praise when they ellie something compelling worth of purchasing, to start some actual critically acclaimed games for starters.

Dim

Banned
You do know that Sony and MS have both confirmed they’re using hardware acceleration though right?

For that you need Next-Gen RDNA/RDNA2.

images
Shader cores in GPU are hardware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next Gen RDNA in this photo is RDNA2
If you just try to read the pattend maybe you save your self from Ouroboros posts

P.S you already answer to your self about RT needs hardware with your post

divided personality????

Last edited:

Reindeer

We havent even reached the level of that Sorcerer demo that was done on base PS4.
Actually to think about it, Death Stranding looks more impressive in its cutscenes, so does Last of Us 2. There's also Ghost of Tshushima. The image quality is the only point of argument.

Last edited:
Having hardware RT doesn't automatically mean RDNA2. Features can be backported.
These consoles are semi-custom. Semi means they're leveraging AMDs IP and custom means they're customising it.

How many times do I have to being up the original PS4 offering 4x the number of asynchronous compute engines as Pitcairn, upon which it was based.
How many times do I have to bring up PS4 Pro having 4 more compute units than Polaris 10, upon which it was based, and backporting double-rate FP16 from Vega.

Once again. Ray tracing and VRS doesn't not automatically mean RDNA2.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But it's no certainty. To assume that it is, is faulty logic.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Xbox doesnt have anything together at all yet, we giving them praise because they showed a console and a trailer for a game that's not coming out for three years?

Ill start giving them praise when they ellie something compelling worth of purchasing, to start some actual critically acclaimed games for starters.

You didn't think Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves was a compelling start 🤔

Fake

Gold Member
Yes. Why is this so hard for people to understand?
You seem a bit stressed. Let me help you clear. Until confirmed, can be anything. Can be RDNA 1.0? No, even if was a RDNA 1.0 will be a custom piece and will be called 1.5 because 1.0 don't support RT.
Can be RDNA 2.0? Can as well. Again you believe in what you want. People can choose in what they want to believe as well.
Again, until confirmed, all speculation.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Dim

Dim

Banned
Having hardware RT doesn't automatically mean RDNA2. Features can be backported.
These consoles are semi-custom. Semi means they're leveraging AMDs IP and custom means they're customising it.

How many times do I have to being up the original PS4 offering 4x the number of asynchronous compute engines as Pitcairn, upon which it was based.
How many times do I have to bring up PS4 Pro having 4 more compute units than Polaris 10, upon which it was based, and backporting double-rate FP16 from Vega.

Once again. Ray tracing and VRS doesn't not automatically mean RDNA2.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But it's no certainty. To assume that it is, is faulty logic.
Agree 1000% with you
And from the moment you use Gpu cores as shader core runing Rt pipelines you have actually RT acceleration on GPU
Cerny never say RT cores on GPU ,say support RT acceleration on GPU.
When AMD introduce Radeon Rays talk about built in in hardware,what is built in?????
Radeon-Rays is a GPU intersection acceleration library with basic support for heterogeneous systems
AMD developed Radeon-Rays to help developers get the most out of AMD GPUs and CPU or APUs, as well as save them from maintaining hardware-dependent code. Radeon-Rays exposes a well-defined C++ API for scene construction and performing asynchronous ray intersection queries. The current implementation is based on OpenCL, which means Radeon-Rays supports execution on all platforms conforming to the OpenCL 1.2 standard. It is not limited to AMD hardware or a specific operating system. Radeon-Rays can be easily distributed and through its API helps assure compatibility and best performance across a wide range of hardware platforms.
Most notably, because AMD hardware can already do ray tracing. It showcased professionally-targeted real-time ray tracing in the form of Radeon ProRender four months before Nvidia’s RTX reveal, but we didn’t hear much after that.
Secret sauce is on customizing ,high data transfer,memory bw,and magic tricks on API ,Gpu and PCI 4 with ways a PC with same HW cant achive

Last edited:

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
You didn't think Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves was a compelling start 🤔
The creators of Forza are thee only studio that was consistent and kept xbox as a brand afloat this generation, and thats a low bar to begin with because I hate racing games and dont play them but I recognize talent when I see it.

Dim

Banned
You seem a bit stressed. Let me help you clear. Until confirmed, can be anything. Can be RDNA 1.0? No, even if was a RDNA 1.0 will be a custom piece and will be called 1.5 because 1.0 don't support RT.
Can be RDNA 2.0? Can as well. Again you believe in what you want. People can choose in what they want to believe as well.
1 is a number
2 is a number
1=2 Duh

Gamernyc78

Banned
The creators of Forza are thee only studio that was consistent and kept xbox as a brand afloat this generation, and thats a low bar to begin with because I hate racing games and dont play them but I recognize talent when I see it.

I know I was pulling your leg lol

Dim

Banned
By the rate of your posts you seems a bit determined to confirm RDNA 1.0
I cant confirm anything.
Is pure companies decision if they jump current gen of RDNA 1 and how hard they want push the launch timeline.
Only Sony and MS knows the truth.
I just say the way you think is not valid.
Everybody wish for RDNA 2 but without evidences we are THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Ok what about smart assistants?

I can see the Xbox SeX being a good Google Home/Alexa alternative. Thats only if you can pick between running google assistant on it or Alexa.

Should I stop dreaming?

TeamGhobad

Banned
Ok what about smart assistants?

I can see the Xbox SeX being a good Google Home/Alexa alternative. Thats only if you can pick between running google assistant on it or Alexa.

Should I stop dreaming?

phil spencer has said the new console is built for one purpose only and that is to play games. there won't be any snap tv alexa function. thank god.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Shader cores in GPU are hardware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next Gen RDNA in this photo is RDNA2
If you just try to read the pattend maybe you save your self from Ouroboros posts

P.S you already answer to your self about RT needs hardware with your post

divided personality????

Shader cores aren’t in the GPU.
Shader cores are software.

Dim

Banned
phil spencer has said the new console is built for one purpose only and that is to play games. there won't be any snap tv alexa function. thank god.
-Xbox SEX
-Yes
-Power on my PS5
-Ps5 remote power on done,you are ready to play games

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.

Hmm yeah. I really liked the "Xbox on", "Xbox record that" and "Xbox play some music on Spotify" functions with Kinect.

Ah well, I guess its not for the majority.

ethomaz

Banned
Hmm yeah. I really liked the "Xbox on", "Xbox record that" and "Xbox play some music on Spotify" functions with Kinect.

Ah well, I guess its not for the majority.
But these functions needs Kinect?
I mean I can do that with PS4 without any addiction hardware... using the mic that come with the DS4 controller.

Last edited:

Dim

Banned
Shader cores aren’t in the GPU.
Shader cores are software.
Software use GPU or CPU cores for calculation RT pipelines
For one more time you dont read how hybrid RT works in patent
Marc Cerny says "Ray tracing acceleration in GPU"
AMD says Radeon Rays support are built in in Radeon GPUs
Radeon-Rays is a GPU intersection acceleration library with basic support for heterogeneous systems.
Both talk about RT acceleration in GPU
bitbydeath
talking about RDNA2/RTRT based in words of Cerny about Ray tracing acceleration in GPU

Ouroboros effect

RaySoft

Ok, calm down people.
It's not like MS shoved more money at AMD so they got access to their backroom wich contained AMD's full roadmap for the future and MS saw RDNA 2.0 on the chalkboard and ofc said; "We want that!"
Sony on the other hand, with somewhat shallower pockets than MS, only got access to their front desk and after the meeting with the receptionist, ended up shopping RDNA 1.0.

Seriously, both MS and Sony had the same data in the bag after meeting with AMD. In NO WAY would Sony choose an older architecture over the newest available RDNA2. Am I saying that PS5 will be 12TF, on pair with Series X? Hell no, what I AM certain of is that they wouldn't go all-in on an older architecture. If, for some strange reason they are, it will at least be a rly good reason for it.

PS5 will be RDNA2 with GPU TF comparable to the Series X, but with a much better SSD solution. MS have traditionally just used shelfware without much proprietary changes. Sony are more known for tweaking things to their liking (i.e 8 ACE's on PS4 compared to the One's 2)

Both consoles will be great, but I'm afraid the MS fanboys will taste some salty tears come february...

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Software use GPU or CPU cores for calculation RT pipelines
For one more time you dont read how hybrid RT works in patent
Marc Cerny says "Ray tracing acceleration in GPU"
AMD says Radeon Rays support are built in in Radeon GPUs
Radeon-Rays is a GPU intersection acceleration library with basic support for heterogeneous systems.
Both talk about RT acceleration in GPU
bitbydeath
talking about RDNA2/RTRT based in words of Cerny about Ray tracing acceleration in GPU

Ouroboros effect

Yes but not physical hardware which Mark Cerny has pointed out.

semicool

Banned
I guarantee it won't be exactly 1.0 or 2.0 but customized for both Sony and MS. Obviously it's custom on a custom APU that WONT be released for PC and there will be differences that the exact feature(there will be differences) set by addition or subtraction won't be on PC or the other customer..ala MS or Sony. That point shoukd make it easier to see that. I'd place a wager on it. Next gen game of winner's choosing?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Dim
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom