• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Just a little of drive club that isn't in the rain.

1IOFd6W.gif

Whites always seem a bit blown out in this game's media posted in this thread. Is most of the game color graded in this way? Screens of that section?

Looked at the comparisons between Forza 6 and DriveClub, and while F6 is definitely more fluid (60 vs 30 fps), DriveClub has a better sense of speed. Does that sound weird?

It doesn't sound weird at all. Driveclub does have a crazy good sense of speed. I can feel the rush when driving a Lambourghini at full speed like no other.

This is one aspect of Forza that i wish they improved.

_machine

Whites always seem a bit blown out in this game's media posted in this thread. Is most of the game color graded in this way? Screens of that section?
I think it's mostly their photographic HDR solution at work, which favors very "photographical" effects like high exposure from overcast etc.

Rushy

Looked at the comparisons between Forza 6 and DriveClub, and while F6 is definitely more fluid (60 vs 30 fps), DriveClub has a better sense of speed. Does that sound weird?
Motion blur is the reason behind this. FM games don't have much.
No, it doesn't sound weird. It's an illusion created by adding density of environmental assets so close to the tracks. The more you add, the more it gives it a sense of speed. That's why chase scenes in cities always look more exciting than chase scenes in the desert or any other open space. Things close up appear to move faster than things farther away.

You're both right in your responses, but there are actually many more layers to how we achieve the sensation of speed. The majority are camera based effects that we spent a long time developing/tuning to help with the sensation of speed as it was really important to me that DRIVECLUB felt fast, much like it does in a real car!

DD

You're both right in your responses, but there are actually many more layers to how we achieve the sensation of speed. The majority are camera based effects that we spent a long time developing/tuning to help with the sensation of speed as it was really important to me that DRIVECLUB felt fast, much like it does in a real car!

And you mother f*ckers nailed it!

Can we have a selectable single player 60fps mode? Cut down some trees or something...

And it's amazing.

I can't wait for these new visual improvements. I'm just scratching my head thinking about how much better DC can look, and it's very hard to come up with a decent amount of things.

VanWinkle

And it's amazing.

I can't wait for these new visual improvements. I'm just scratching my head thinking about how much better DC can look, and it's very hard to come up with a decent amount of things.

AF, IQ, and early-last-gen style DoF outside of photo mode are the big things that stick out in my mind.

Melfice7

You cant drop by and not say anything about those new visual improvements! Give us something :D

Please be 60 fps.

I'm 99% certain it isn't that. I don't see it happening with DC's approach to things in general, nor do I feel like 60fps can be classed as just a "visual" upgrade.

I'd probably expect an AA upgrade to be the most likely, IQ is where the game was sorely lacking.

pixelbox

I believe it's regarding the weather tech. Rushy tweeted about pushing their weather tech beyond their limits. I believe he was responding to someone that mentioned the rain in DC, so at best maybe puddles that have different properties, snow that accumulates, or better rain on the windshield. Possibly fog too. I want smoke self-shadows or cast shadows and better AF.

Behlel

The game is a graphical showcase but in some condition (heavy snow in One of the DLC pack) at night is too much frustrating because there is nearly zero visibility with every camera used. Maybe a little toned down effect is better for gameplay purpose or at last a better visibility in those condition.

etta

my hard graphic balls
The game is a graphical showcase but in some condition (heavy snow in One of the DLC pack) at night is too much frustrating because there is nearly zero visibility with every camera used. Maybe a little toned down effect is better for gameplay purpose or at last a better visibility in those condition.
But that's how real life is...
if you were to drive at +150kmph in those conditions.

Behlel

But that's how real life is...
if you were to drive at +150kmph in those conditions.

This is a game with a lot of eye candy but if i can't race because i can't see anything and the AI can drive faster without any error then this is frustrating.

etta

my hard graphic balls
This is a game with a lot of eye candy but if i can't race because i can't see anything and the AI can drive faster without any error then this is frustrating.
Yea; however, you won't be understood about that in this specific thread. Believe me, I know, I know.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781

Sounds like a personal problem. I personally feel the AI are too slow. e.g Usually there's only one AI car that can keep up and the rest gets blown out. I digress, this is a graphics thread after all.

People who believe the patch will introduce 60FPS are setting themselfs up for disappointment. Its one thing to patch in a few visual effects, but cutting the time the engine can take for each frame in half is a whole other story.

You have to see it as the super hard mode that requires you to know every last corner of the track.

Ok thats like comparing a game from an older gen to one from current gen or next gen. The car in F6 looks like a cartoon and doesn't seem to blend well with the environment.

F6 looks great in photo mode but not that much real time.

Purest 78

Ok thats like comparing a game from an older gen to one from current gen or next gen. The car in F6 looks like a cartoon and doesn't seem to blend well with the environment.

F6 looks great in photo mode but not that much real time.

Forza cars seem like there hovering over the road.

DD

So I took this pic of Project Cars on my PS4 today, and I wonder why there's this weird white aliasing around the top of the windshield and the mirror. Can some tech guy explain me why that is happening, and why this problem happens only on that particular area?

projectcars_201509212uox5r.jpg

like those?

article-2207427-152e902ky8.jpg
If the F6 cars were spraying out that much water behind them, people wouldn't be pointing it out. The reason people are pointing it out is because the car in the gif truly does look like it's floating. The amount of water sprayed in the gif doesn't come close to that pic. The shadow under the car isn't seen even with such a small amount of water spray under it.

shandy706

It really depends on the angle of the camera and the car you're using. Also, when actually playing you can see the shadow under your car and those around you. I'm going about 70-80mph here...

screenshot-original67w0rya.png

On the big screen the car looks perfectly planted in motion. In fact, this track is stunning at 100mph and 60fps.

Here's a shot I took swinging the camera to the right from earlier with the HUD on. The shadow is clear under the car ahead, and although it's not easy to see (lowered car going over 90mph) there's clearly a shadow beneath my car amongst the spray.

screenshot-original68udoce.png

People who believe the patch will introduce 60FPS are setting themselfs up for disappointment. Its one thing to patch in a few visual effects, but cutting the time the engine can take for each frame in half is a whole other story.

Yeah, 60fps locked across the board isn't going to happen.

But I wonder if an 'unlocked' option could be added. Many here have wondered how high the frame rate can get during dry weather, particularly events with just one car.

Shaneus

The biggest sore spot I have for driveclub is the lack of implementation of a clutch, and the lack of H-gated shifter support. No amount of eyecandy, volumetric clouds, and motion blur can substitute for that basic lack of realism. So that's what I personally hope will somehow make its way into the update they are teasing, and the rest of the new eyecandy can sit by the wayside.
That appeals to a very small subsection of the community, though. I'd say less than 1% of people who play DC have been willing to shell out ~$400 to use their wheel/shifter/clutch setup for essentially one game (assuming it's not used for PS3 as well, but said persons would likely already have a wheel for that anyway).

I doubt it'd be difficult to implement, but there's no way such a decision was made in favour of visual fidelity; they're two entirely different aspects of the game. I'd say if it hasn't been implemented by now, it's more of a design decision than anything else.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Sorry fellas. While I bought and played both games day one, the forza pic some people are quoting is truly disingenuous. While I won't argue Driveclub's visual superiority from an effect and eyecandy standpoint, it is a determination that should be made based upon each games strengths, not a fallacious comparison that isn't really representative of the overall user experience.

To say both games have different focus (effects vs framerate) is a point that has been absolutely beaten to death, yet simultaneously glossed over. As a fortunate player of both series, it at once becomes obvious where each title excels. While it does NOT render irrelevant any discussion of the visuals (that's the whole point of this thread) it goes beyond a few well placed gifs. I just finished a series in Forza today, in the rain. At no point did the game look akin to that pic making the rounds--the game has its visual failings and concessions to maintain its framerate, to be sure, but at no point does it look like something from a generation ago. It was actual gameplay, in Sebring, in the rain - no photo mode or replay trickery.

It has been said that you can arrange the right combination of elements to make any game look bad--be it a particular combination of lighting, conditions, etc. suffice it to say if Forza on the whole looked anything like that gif on a regular basis, you'd be talking about the uproar, not sifting through pages of comparisons.

Well, whoever made that one comparison used a YouTube video from an uploader that purposefully locked FM6 to 30fps in the side-by-side, and they decided to look past that duplicitous behaviour. It was pointed out, but that didn't matter.
I think that's pretty telling in and of itself.
¯_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: Never mind, I was thinking of the other gif.

Conduit

Banned
Well, whoever made that one comparison used a YouTube video from an uploader that purposefully locked FM6 to 30fps in the side-by-side, and they decided to look past that duplicitous behaviour. It was pointed out, but that didn't matter.
I think that's pretty telling in and of itself.
¯_(ツ)_/¯

Something graphically changed if you Youtube video is 30 fps? "...purposefully..." hm.... But video is originally at 60fps.

Top Bottom