• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Well, whoever made that one comparison used a YouTube video from an uploader that purposefully locked FM6 to 30fps in the side-by-side, and they decided to look past that duplicitous behaviour. It was pointed out, but that didn't matter.
I think that's pretty telling in and of itself.
¯_(ツ)_/¯

The video from which that AMG GT gif was created from is 60fps.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Something graphically changed if you Youtube video is 30 fps? "...purposefully..." hm....
It doesn't matter if the content for a specific purpose is seemingly valid, the way in which it was produced was deceitful, which would normally invalidate all data.

The video from which that AMG GT gif was created from is 60fps.
Oh, did they re-upload it? Too many downvotes or negative comments about it?

Conduit

Banned
It doesn't matter if the content for a specific purpose is seemingly valid, the way in which it was produced was deceitful, which would normally invalidate all data.

Oh, they re-uploaded it? Too many downvotes or negative comments about it?

I'm trying to tell you that video is 60 fps ( checked a few minutes ago ). Nothing changed graphically except fluidity.

etta

my hard graphic balls
There are two videos
Ah, I thought m0dus was referring to this: (from page 109)
KrdRXY.gif

Shaneus

Given that lesser games from smaller developers somehow find the time to do it, I don't think it's a design decision. They implemented sequential shifter support, and given the truly limited number of hardware shifters in the market compatible with PS4, it would hardly be a taxing extension of resources to implement H-gated and a clutch pedal flagship racing game. It's already compatible with the thrustmaster hardware ecosystem , it makes no sense to cut out half the functions of a device they already support. :) If we are going to talk design decisions, weren't they designing a racing game? Then they should take the next step and support all of the 3 wheels available for the platform.
I mean design decision in that it's probably technically very easy for them to implement, but doesn't fit in with the ethos of the game. So not a technical limitation, resource-hungry feature or whatever.

Could be other things at play, too... would the H-shifter still work if the car in-game only has sequential? Maybe that was a question they were happy to avoid rather than try to work through/around it.

shinnn

If the F6 cars were spraying out that much water behind them, people wouldn't be pointing it out. The reason people are pointing it out is because the car in the gif truly does look like it's floating. The amount of water sprayed in the gif doesn't come close to that pic. The shadow under the car isn't seen even with such a small amount of water spray under it.
If the car is faster will look even more like its floating, because the spray will be bigger and brighter, like in the real photo.

Its pretty clear in that gif the amount of water coming from the tires is more dense, so the center of the car is darker, and you can see the reflection/shadow of the car when the spray varies.

look at this picture, and see how the spray changes according to the car speed.

20150922-00534098s0u.png

lol funny how almost every racing game has this effect, but only Forza got mocked. Also, its completely absent on the DC gifs (but I guess its ok).

etta

my hard graphic balls
Even if the video from which this GIF was made was 60fps, it wouldn't have made a difference. I really don't see how it being 30 frames is deceitful.
When you source something that isn't yours, you don't alter it, otherwise it might be perceived that you are changing it to suit an agenda.
Watch any 30fps-60fps video side-by-side, the difference is jarring. In fact, the difference seems so large that the 30fps side looks unplayable, even though you're normally fine with 30fps gameplay.
One might suggest that the uploader wanted to hide that difference from the viewers.
Now, is that the type of uploader one would want to use content from to base an argument off of? Do you see what I mean?

When you source something that isn't yours, you don't alter it, otherwise it might be perceived that you are changing it to suit an agenda.
Watch any 30fps-60fps video side-by-side, the difference is jarring. In fact, the difference seems so large that the 30fps side looks unplayable, even though you're normally fine with 30fps gameplay.
One might suggest that the uploader wanted to hide that difference from the viewers.
Now, is that the type of uploader one would want to use content from to base an argument off of? Do you see what I mean?

Maybe he just couldn't render the video at 60fps and thought it wouldn't make a difference since he wasn't trying to show which game was more fluid and smooth. Who knows?

Noobcraft

20150922-00534098s0u.png

lol funny how almost every racing game has this effect, but only Forza got mocked. Also, its completely absent on the DC gifs (but I guess its ok).
Maybe that's the visual enhancement being added to Driveclub. Tire spray and tire smoke are two effects that are poorly represented in Driveclub.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Maybe he just couldn't render the video at 60fps and thought it wouldn't make a difference since he wasn't trying to show which game was more fluid and smooth. Who knows?
They why not just compare with stills?
I mean, the guy has hardware that can capture direct feed from the console, I am sure he has an adequate PC to render it properly, too.

Shaneus

Besides GT, what other game does smoke like that? I think the smoke effects in Driveclub while not the best is fine.
Problem with those effects is that they're VERY expensive, calculation-wise. GT does it and it looks alright, but the shadows are quite low-res. I wish there was a "cheap" way for it to be done, driving games across the board would look exponentially better.

Maybe that'll be the next big thing. AMD had TressFX for hair tech, perhaps we'll see a smoke/particle-based one soon.

Edit: I'll have to try ProStreet then (I have a feeling I own it somewhere). Those smoke effects always do weird things to me.

I think the lighting is what makes the difference in the Gifs, DC just looks more grounded in the world around while the car in FM6 just looks too bright. Probably just a poor combination of factors make it look worse than the majority of the game but it is striking difference between the two.

KrdRXY.gif

Problem with those effects is that they're VERY expensive, calculation-wise. GT does it and it looks alright, but the shadows are quite low-res. I wish there was a "cheap" way for it to be done, driving games across the board would look exponentially better.

Maybe that'll be the next big thing. AMD had TressFX for hair tech, perhaps we'll see a smoke/particle-based one soon.

Edit: I'll have to try ProStreet then (I have a feeling I own it somewhere). Those smoke effects always do weird things to me.

I agree.

Putty

I think the lighting is what makes the difference in the Gifs, DC just looks more grounded in the world around while the car in FM6 just looks too bright. Probably just a poor combination of factors make it look worse than the majority of the game but it is striking difference between the two.

KrdRXY.gif

DC is on a whole new level compared to everything else out there tbh, not just Forza. The only thing that will come near is GT7 but even then i'm not expecting it to beat DC. PD are wizards, but Evo are surely wizards also.

Shaneus

Beautiful. Does anyone know the name of song?
If Shazam is on the ball, it's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 14, F Minor (by Valery Bukrinski).

It's strange. Most smoke appears to be kind of sprite based, but you'd think there'd be a way of using voxels or something to emulate smoke (and just shade them a certain way). I'm not a programmer though so maybe that's already been thought of.

nib95

Banned
If Shazam is on the ball, it's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 14, F Minor (by Valery Bukrinski).

It's strange. Most smoke appears to be kind of sprite based, but you'd think there'd be a way of using voxels or something to emulate smoke (and just shade them a certain way). I'm not a programmer though so maybe that's already been thought of.

Cheers dude.

Interesting Any gif or screenshot of forza in a actual Race Not a close up of the car. I see people say It's not representing the game properly.

I think a lot of people probably play the game in cockpit view, it is a Sim racer after all. It seems that the weird disconnect between road and car seems to occur mostly in third person perspective, so it's not altogether surprising some might not see it as representative of the overall experience. Hell I never even touch that view in sim/simcade racers except to drift, so I suppose my perspective would be different too. As Shaneus said, the weird disconnect in that view is likely as a result of the lighting. Shadows and surfaces probably have something to do with it too. The vehicle just seems to pop out a lot more than it ought to, but Forza has always had this element of art direction about it.

Purest 78

Interesting Any gif or screenshot of forza in a actual Race Not a close up of the car. I read people saying It's not representing the game properly.

I think the floaty car effect in Forza is mainly due to the motion blur. Motion blur in Forza makes the road look like a flat grey texture and very little detail is visible compared to still shots. It looks like you were driving on a dull mirror. Was already a problem in Horizon 2.

Purest 78

Cheers dude.

I think a lot of people probably play the game in cockpit view, it is a Sim racer after all. It seems that the weird disconnect between road and car seems to occur mostly in third person perspective, so it's not altogether surprising some might not see it as representative of the overall experience. Hell I never even touch that view in sim/simcade racers except to drift, so I suppose my perspective would be different too. As Shaneus said, the weird disconnect in that view is likely as a result of the lighting. Shadows and surfaces probably have something to do with it too. The vehicle just seems to pop out a lot more than it ought to, but Forza has always had this element of art direction about it.

That would make sense I never play racers in cockpit my view feels to restricted.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Cheers dude.

I'm willing to bet that a lot more people play their racing games in bumper/hood cam compared to cockpit view.

Fess

DC is on a whole new level compared to everything else out there tbh, not just Forza. The only thing that will come near is GT7 but even then i'm not expecting it to beat DC. PD are wizards, but Evo are surely wizards also.
PD will go for locked 60fps, Evo went with locked 30fps. Two different kinds of wizardry will be at display when GT7 arrives. I know which one I prefer. And it'll be fun to checkout the GT7 vs DC threads, 60fps vs 30fps but without the people with agendas, we'll finally get unbiased opinions on how much the framerate affects the visuals, and it'll be lovely because I already know which one will come out on top. :)

Putty

PD will go for locked 60fps, Evo went with locked 30fps. Two different kinds of wizardry will be at display when GT7 arrives. I know which one I prefer. And it'll be fun to checkout the GT7 vs DC threads, 60fps vs 30fps but without the people with agendas, we'll finally get unbiased opinions on how much the framerate affects the visuals, and it'll be lovely because I already know which one will come out on top. :)

For sure. Look, what PD did with GT on PS3 i think is now being appreciated a bit more now we are seeing new gen racers with certain limitations. I've no doubt PD's lighting engine will blow socks off as it always has, same as their material shaders. Given how easy the PS4 is to develop for surely the stars have aligned for PD to show us just what they can achieve without going through so many hoops.

JP

I'm willing to bet that a lot more people play their racing games in bumper/hood cam compared to cockpit view.
For me, different views are best for different jobs. A good cockpit view really adds to how the game feels and is my preferred camera view. Sometimes it's just nice to look at the cars and what's going on around you so the trailing views work well there. A bumper-cam has it's own advantages/disadvantages due to the speed and tightness of the view.

I tend not to use bumper-cam often with DriveClub often as it just doesn't feel as necessary as it does in some other games.

Source on this? I really hope they do but the last two games didn't manage that.

Source on this? I really hope they do but the last two games didn't manage that.

PD have always gone for 60fps with GT but they loved to pushed thoses graphics so didn't achieve a locked 60fps, hopefully they can take some notes from Forza and get it locked.

With PS4 being more powerful than Xbox One, GT7 should look better than Forza 6, even with a locked 60fps aslong as PD don't do something stupid.

in terms of whats realistically possible wrt driveclubs future graphics enhancements, a temporal aa as good as ryse, or even better, ue4 would be awesome.

KORNdoggy

these highlight something i've noticed in forza and the way they've implemented reflections in the road. it reminds me of the system used in infamous, where no matter what surface the character was stood on, or if the water had puddled up or was just wet sidewalk, the reflection would always be a blurred image. in that image above of the cars stationary in the starting grid, there are clear pools of water around the cars were the reflection should be sharp, and clean...almost mirror-like, but it's not. plus you don't seem to get the stretched light from headlights either, which makes the reflection look more artificial then it should.

eso76

the reflection would always be a blurred image. in that image above of the cars stationary in the starting grid, there are clear pools of water around the cars were the reflection should be sharp, and clean

From what i've seen of the game reflection do look sharper or blurrier according to surface roughness, just never mirror-like (which they aren't because then you would see they probably use much lower detail models for cars)

Top Bottom