• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Pjsprojects

Both look really good when DriveClub is out of the picture.

One thing I did notice in this video was, when driving in the cockpit view PC's car shakes like a real car would, where as Forza looks like the car is just gliding along with hardly any shake, which makes it look a little weird when comparing them side by side.

So if this thread is multi format is the conclusion as follows-

Driveclub Ps4 - best graphics
Project cars Pc - best sim
FH2 - X1 best arcade racer

What really stood out to me was the huge difference in reflections when they press the brake in chase cam. The red reflection into the spray mist and onto the ground behind the car is wildly different at 1:06 or so. Though not a comparison point, I like the time of day they picked for Forza, the orangeish dusk clouds at some points are a very nice touch that warms up the scene a lot (1:55).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Project Cars has variable time-of-day, dynamic clouds and dynamic weather, whereas Forza currently has none of these?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Project Cars has variable time-of-day, dynamic clouds and dynamic weather, whereas Forza currently has none of these?

So what? I understand that this is a graphics thread but dynamic clouds? How is that affecting the game in anyway? Is it a cloud racer?

Correct me if I'm wrong but F6 has 3D puddles whereas PC have none right? F6 also has over 450 cars to drive on these tracks that are lacking "dynamic clouds" whereas PC has..?

MilkyJoe

So what? I understand that this is a graphics thread but dynamic clouds? How is that affecting the game in anyway? Is it a cloud racer?

Correct me if I'm wrong but F6 has 3D puddles whereas PC have none right? F6 also has over 450 cars to drive on these tracks that are lacking "dynamic clouds" whereas PC has..?

PC has... Much better use of the rumble feedback.

I was confused when the poster said "time of day they picked for Forza" (as if they added TOD choice) when there's no choice that could effect sky view/colour. I guess I made a mistake saying "compared to PCars" for people to jump on.

drotahorror

The best arcade racer I've played since Motorstorm Apocalypse (loved it), is Driveclub. I actually bought an xb1 for FH2 a few months ago and was pretty disappointed. I really thought the world would be more fun but it wasn't to me. I also thought Storm Island would be sick but it was just as bland if not more so than the FH2 world.

Current Gen (released since 2013)
Best graphics = Driveclub - Runner up = PCARS (PC)
Best arcade racer = Driveclub - Runner up = NFS Rivals (sue me, me and my friends loved this)
Best sim = DiRT Rally

VMAN01

Is such a thing possible lol?
'
997155848cad4eb42c3165025f1f0aa9.png

nib95

Banned
The effect looks definitely off on FM6 footage. Also I don't think a R8 would shake that much. All PCars cars looks (shake and sound) like a old racing car.

Real footage of Audi R8 at Le Mans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8D9ZujhHO0

Real thing seems to move around a fair bit depending on conditions and camera. Project Cars interior motion appears to be more realistic based on these.

Helmet cam.

Hot Lap at Infineon Raceway in the Audi R8 V10 - Cockpit

Fixed cockpit cam.

Audi R8 V10 vs Suzuki 1000cc e Kawasaki Ninja 1000cc

23qwerty

Fog, maybe bokeh DOF? Game was missing bokeh when came out. Don`t know if it was patched in later.

Huh? Bokeh's been in since launch for sure, hell there's like 10 different options for showing it.

Assuming you're talking about photo mode anyway.

vio

Huh? Bokeh's been in since launch for sure, hell there's like 10 different options for showing it.

Assuming you're talking about photo mode anyway.

Not talking about photo mode. But like i said, don`t have ps4 even. It is what i`ve seen from screenshots only.

23qwerty

Not talking about photo mode. But like i said, don`t have ps4 even. It is what i`ve seen from screenshots only.

Then yeah, no bokeh outside of photo mode, though I'm not sure where it would appear anyway. Can't recall if there's any DoF outside of photo mode.

Putty

Fog, maybe bokeh DOF? Game was missing bokeh when came out. Don`t know if it was patched in later.

For and mist I'd mentioned ages ago as something that would add hugely to the visuals, especially around Scotland and Canada. A few peeps have said they're hoping for 60fps but that just ain't happening. They could have an improved AA method but I wouldn't class that as something we'd "LOVE". So I'll go with mist/fog.

23qwerty

I've been playing a bunch of Forza 6 and FH2 lately since getting an xbone, can't wait to go back to Driveclub and have to pick my jaw up off the floor again.

FH2 looks good, and Forza 6 looks okay... but they just don't compare.

Coreda

Edit: FasTRapid gave the following formatting tip:

Please do it like this: (URL=WebM)(IMG)GIF(/IMG)(/URL)
By doing that, you halve the load times as WebM users only see WebMs and GIF users only see GIFs.

In my experience with the WebM userscript this method still loads the GIF as it simply hides it from view rather than disabling it from loading.

Perhaps there are newer versions of the userscript/addon that change this behavior. May test it again to be sure, give me a sec.

Test: Yup, GIF still loads in the background.

I would say

Driveclub PS4 - Best graphics / Best track based arcade racer
Project cars PC - Best sim
FH2 X1 - Best open world arcade racer

VMAN01

Is Driveclub the only recent game that has 900º wheel animation? It looks so much better than GT and Forza

I actually remember Driver San Fransisco as well as Midnight Club LA having 900 degree rotations. Not sure if any other recent game besides Driveclub has it though or at least this detailed.

_machine

Is Driveclub the only recent game that has 900º wheel animation? It looks so much better than GT and Forza
I know that pCARS has 900º animations when using a wheel, but not with pad input, I believe. Assetto Corsa will have it as well when it comes to consoles.

Thats amazing. Is the video on youtube, too? Nobody clicks on vid.me links when you share them.

Damn @1:47

XUvfl12.gif

Sorry I don't know how to make high quality gifs

Edit: Something I noticed in the comparison vid:
At 2:10 if you look at the black bar below the window left from the driver.
In Driveclub you see it lit up with a light slightly flickering green touch because of light reflected from trees you drive by.
In Forza its just plain black.
These are subtle differences, but its a huge difference in the quality and capability of the lighting tech.

Holy crap, they look generations apart in this gif.

commedieu

Banned
I don't get why project cars, doesn't get more love... Sure its 30.. on consoles.. but its 60+ on pc.. and even at its scaled down 30, its still a looker. Is it.. that horrible on consoles or something?

Project cars needs more gifs.. pls.

DD

I don't get why project cars, doesn't get more love... Sure its 30.. on consoles.. but its 60+ on pc.. and even at its scaled down 30, its still a looker. Is it.. that horrible on consoles or something?

Project cars needs more gifs.. pls.

Can't say about the Xbox version, but PCars keeps 60 FPS most of the time on PS4, with some frame dips and some tearing here and there. It is said that it looks like the PC version on high settings. It's not an ugly game in any way, but I believe that people got really pissed with it because of bugs and weird design problems it has.

Elitist1945

Looked at the comparisons between Forza 6 and DriveClub, and while F6 is definitely more fluid (60 vs 30 fps), DriveClub has a better sense of speed. Does that sound weird?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Looked at the comparisons between Forza 6 and DriveClub, and while F6 is definitely more fluid (60 vs 30 fps), DriveClub has a better sense of speed. Does that sound weird?

No, it doesn't sound weird. It's an illusion created by adding density of environmental assets so close to the tracks. The more you add, the more it gives it a sense of speed. That's why chase scenes in cities always look more exciting than chase scenes in the desert or any other open space. Things close up appear to move faster than things farther away.

'
I highly doubt it's going to be 60fps like some here are suggesting. It'll probably be another effect (like mirages/weather/rainbows previously). I'm hoping for fog! Bring some of those volumetric clouds down to the road!!!

'

Personally i would like them to focus on better AA first. If they can clean the image even more it will look incredible. I remember some footage floating around before the launch with super clean visuals (from a spanisch spoken video on driveclub). Looked very tasty.

Edit Found the footage although not the original spanisch spoken video:

http://youtu.be/ecDrA6w8SKY

Top Bottom