• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Conduit

Banned
Again: resources. It doesn't matter how much the fps is in this case.

What resources, money, man power? Now fps doesn't matter. OK.

Evolution had before around same or slightly more staff than PD. Cars in DC doesn't look better than those in GT Sport.

Turn 10 has way more staff than PD. Cars in Forza 4 doens't look better than those in GT6.

I only ever click on this thread when I see it come up for Conduit posts, and I never leave disappointed.

Good for you.

c0de

What resources, money, man power? Now fps doesn't matter. OK.

Time, money, man power. In the end, it's all the same. How much resources do you want to spend on modeling cars. That's how it breaks down in the end.

Evolution had before around same or slightly more staff than PD. Cars in DC doesn't look better than those in GT Sport.

But that doesn't mean they also allocated the resources in the same way.

Turn 10 has way more staff than PD. Cars in Forza 4 doens't look better than those in GT6.

Same argument as above.

Three

Gold Member
Sorry but you just contradicted yourself

And as usual i'm having problems following what you are trying to say

F4 has 678 cars, no premium/standard differences

GT6 has
Total Cars: 1.241
Premium Cars: 447
Semi-Premium Cars: 152
Standard Cars: 642

So i guess they decided to leave those 642 standard cars just because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Where did you get your numbers because they are kind of wrong with or without DLC.
Also Forza outsources their models. The fact that the interiors don't look good in Forza has nothing to do with resources modelling them because the models they receive are much higher quality than those in the game. The reason the Forza interiors look like ass is because they have a limited polygon budget whereas GT has tessellation and use their high poly models in their game.

c0de

Forza does have way more cars modelled though which probably hurts the amount of attention to detail the cars get in it.

This is what Noobcraft said

And also doesn't mean that if some game has more cars, automatically cars will look worse. That's a such dumb theory.

and this is basically how everything in the world works. Making "more" takes more time, money and in general resources. This is not a dumb theory, at all.

Jamesways

And also doesn't mean that if some game has more cars, automatically cars will look worse. That's a such dumb theory.
Totally agree with that.

Sometimes that's true, sometimes not. Like everyone has said, it's the time and resources allocated.

Grid Autosport is s good example. Interiors brought back but little time spent on them to model accurate cockpits. Time spend on other aspects instead. And it ended up a darn good game.

Also, more pics less yapping needed in this thread!

BeeDog

This is what Noobcraft said

and this is basically how everything in the world works. Making "more" takes more time, money and in general resources. This is not a dumb theory, at all.

Well, of course making "more" output needs "more" input in general, but if you have a studio that's much bigger and outsources more art assets, the excuse that the quality level would probably be lower because the attention is diverted between more cars by default, falters.

c0de

Well, of course making "more" output needs "more" input in general, but if you have a studio that's much bigger and outsources more art assets, the excuse that the quality level would probably be lower because the attention is diverted between more cars by default, falters.

No arguing in that if we know exactly how each studio does the specific work.

Forza 4 without DLC's had around same number of cars like premiums in GT6 without DLC.

And your theory doesn't make sense too. Same question like for c0de : Explain me how is possible that GT Sport has 2.5 time more cars then DC and it's 60 fps and cars looks so much better in GT Sport?
Even if you ignore the fact that GT has a way bigger budget than drive club, compare the development time for both.

Even if they did have the same budget/year GT would still have way more resources available to them due the way longer dev time.

So, they have more time and money to make the game look better. Though to be honest there's plenty of work left in GT for me. The trailer looked incredible, but the gameplay footage not so much yet.

Mascot

Explain me how is possible that GT Sport has 3 time more cars then DC and it's 60 fps and cars looks so much better in GT Sport?

GT Sport isn't 60fps. It might be by launch, but it isn't right now.

It has to earn its title as a 60fps racer, not just self-proclaim it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
GT Sport / Forza 6 Apex

IMWeqVv.jpg

q5K2CkL.jpg

H3hS8G3.jpg

w6uR3N2.jpg

Did they just forget the lighting engine or what.

Apex

The reason the Forza interiors look like ass is because they have a limited polygon budget whereas GT has tessellation and use their high poly models in their game.
This. They have also have many modeling inacuracies due to a less strict control quality thanks to its outsourced nature and to the developer's asset priorities. All the above plus a very simplistic rendering method that does not even do real time reflections, a thing that even GT5 did.

At least in Forza you can move the right stick and look around the interiors in game instead of having to glitch photomode or something.

Ehh you could do the same in GT5/6 when racing, with GTsport they will finally let you take shots of the interior in photomode.

Forza interiors look like ass?
:lolololololol

Compared to GTsport, i guess so. Maybe not ass but definitely not up to par.

Three

Gold Member
Forza interiors look like ass?
:lolololololol

Not completely but relatively speaking what makes it look bad compared to other games is its low poly count interiors and no ambient occlusion (baked or otherwise). If you look at the seat for example, engine start button knobs or the edge of the footrests it's its low polycount which lets it down. I would say the blocky-ness really is ass but my intention wasn't to offend anyone.

Anyway
PCars interior of same car but not same angle

project-cars_20150622083348-jpg.394853

Damn, Forza interiors look like they're a generation behind, not trying to be hyperbolic but look at those buttons. They're flat on the Forza shot whereas they have lots of details in the GTS pic.

CrayToes

Conduits posts really are special. Why is this guy so unbelievably defensive?

Anyway. GTS looks better and better every time we see it. Although, I was never concerned about the visuals.

cooldawn

GT Sport / Forza 6 Apex

IMWeqVv.jpg

q5K2CkL.jpg

H3hS8G3.jpg

w6uR3N2.jpg
Are these from the same mode? I mean is one from Photomode and the other from in-game...or something?

I expect GT Sport will have the best car models and materials but I'm sure ForzaVista isn't that bad...so it must be in-game.

Not sure this is like-for-like. Educate me.

Yiazmat

Are these from the same mode? I mean is one from Photomode and the other from in-game...or something?

I expect GT Sport will have the best car models and materials but I'm sure ForzaVista isn't that bad...so it must be in-game.

Not sure this is like-for-like. Educate me.

That is ForzaVista yes.

EGOMON

I think at this point everyone should know that PD have some of the best modelling team in the industry they are wizards.
Yes Forza have more cars but they also have significantly more manpower whither in-house or outsourcing.
PD is just untouchable when it comes graphics and lightings

cooldawn

That is ForzaVista yes.
You know what...I didn't believe you. Poor on me.

I've just watched ForzaVista's Mitsubishi video on YouTube and...I'm gobsmacked. I mean that modelling, materials and lighting would be fine for in-game...but for a showpiece, not so much.

I can't get my hat off at that.

EDIT: Cars modelled for Forza 6 are better, right?

Well it's ForzaVista so it's supersampled, no?

No, from my experience with ForzaVista on Apex it just uses your AA settings. If AA is off then it'll have jaggies everywhere.

Either way the actual IQ depends on the computer. I could just run it at 4K with 8xMSAA if I wanted to make the cleanest image possible, what I meant was that the game produces a very clean image with little to no postprocessing, the only bits you'll really see are the DOF in the prerace screens and motion blur ingame.

23qwerty

No, from my experience with ForzaVista on Apex it just uses your AA settings. If AA is off then it'll have jaggies everywhere.

Either way the actual IQ depends on the computer. I could just run it at 4K with 8xMSAA if I wanted to make the cleanest image possible, what I meant was that the game produces a very clean image with little to no postprocessing, the only bits you'll really see are the DOF in the prerace screens and motion blur ingame.
Oh I assumed that it would supersample as it does on Xbox, interesting

I just booted Apex up for the first time and yeah photo mode definitely supersamples, you can see the aliasing just disappear when you stop moving the camera

That's photomode, I'm pretty sure the shots we're talking about are raw gameplay/Forzavista as you can still see a little bit of aliasing on the plants.

Is Forzavista not effectively photomode?

Not strictly. It has different graphical options:
B2OgWfR.png

And it doesn't add effects on when you keep the camera still. For example if you have DOF enabled in photomode you can see it adding extra samples when you don't move, in Forzavista everything is just as-is like in gameplay.

Conduit

Banned

Something will drastically change with AA? Won't change anything even with decent AA in photomode. Still will look bland compared to GTS interiors.

Top Bottom