• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

There's probably a connection between the two. I'm curious as to whether the Horizon games have that ambient lighting that makes hidden areas of the cockpit too bright. It makes sense in FM's prebaked lighting but I've never thought to check under FH's dynamic lighting.

Either way there's something drastically improved in FH3's car shaders/materials, I can't wait to see that at 60+ FPS.

I too cannot wait to play Horizon 3 at 60fps. sadly only at 1080p though. I can only imagine how it looks at native 4k 60fps!, would love to see 1440p 144fps too

Sebmugi

Interestingly, even though we know that PD have always had great light and a modeling crazy! it also appears that radiosity is part of it ;)

Here are some of my last GT6 photo ^^ tessellation already done wonders,it only needs good shaders..

1472880974-mid-field-raceway-2.jpg
1472880990-syracuse-jour-1.jpg
1472881228-tokyo-r246.jpg

1472882109-ronda-1.jpg
1472881833-red-bull-ring-2-3.jpg
1472881781-circuito-di-roma.jpg

Outrun

So someone on youtube, who requested to stay anonymous, reached out to me via email. He recognized me from my avatar on youtube because it looked similar to the one I use on here. In the email, he gave me a couple of slides that he wanted me to post on GAF because he doesn't have and account. I am in no way an expert with this sort of stuff but I found it informative so here they are.

28773004014_2b84049bb5_b.jpg

29362717936_a9b30bc396_b.jpg

29108780660_a7c3f1d50f_b.jpg

28775296573_c7966d4d92_b.jpg

29317540221_2f162db8b6_b.jpg

28775294623_94c1732fa8_b.jpg

29317537801_6dd6b8d8ed_b.jpg

29362714066_ce1da4c2c1_b.jpg

29288931572_abd065fbf8_b.jpg

29362713126_809a8ed935_c.jpg

GTS looks wonderful.

I think a more apt comparision would be with FM7.

indosmoke

So someone on youtube, who requested to stay anonymous, reached out to me via email. He recognized me from my avatar on youtube because it looked similar to the one I use on here. In the email, he gave me a couple of slides that he wanted me to post on GAF because he doesn't have and account. I am in no way an expert with this sort of stuff but I found it informative so here they are.

... OK, I guess?
Lighting and materials have always been GT's biggest strength and FM's weakest point. Going through all these efforts to demonstrate this well-known fact is a bit curious.

That being said, these shots of GTS are truly amazing.

Digital Foundry Comparison
Assetto Corsa vs Forza 6 vs Project Cars
https://youtu.be/211jaQtBF-M

I hate the lighting in Forza so much.

Mm that's a bit strong. It isn't always the most convincing but they've made some massive improvements over the Xbox 360 games.

Some tracks look really quite nice but the cars paintwork doesn't always really match the lighting to my eyes. When there's some sun glare going on it all comes together a bit better.

I don't know, persoanally I like the oversaturation in Forza it gives the game a certain hollywood racing movie look - if you like it just depends if you want to see a gritty documentary or a blockbuster mainstream movie. For me Forza is the best looking in that video out of the three.
Assetto Corsa's paint colors are off and you can see it in the PC version from "skin"-preview pics to how it looks on the track: They look different and neither color gets the real car right. pCARS doesn't look that much better than AC as I remember it, the worst thing is the track surface in pCARS though, it looks so dry it could be made out of chalk. Forza has the the advantage of pre-baked lighting though, pCARS and AC use dynamic lighting (AC at least from 8am to 6pm), so IQ on console naturally has to suffer even if they were as big a studio as Turn 10.

thelastword

Banned
PD have always been masters of lighting. Shame they can't get the performance down too like T10 can.
Well if GT was as basic looking as Forza, I'm sure it would run at 90fps locked. The gulf in quality between the two titles is huge in this comparison and GTS is still work in progress with more improvements and polish to come.

Well if GT was as basic looking as Forza, I'm sure it would run at 90fps locked. The gulf in quality between the two titles is huge in this comparison and GTS is still work in progress with more improvements and polish to come.
LOL you just keep telling yourself that. That first sentence in particular was hilarious.

Aceofspades

Banned

Despite all the shit that PD gets ( sometimes rightfully so), they are a league above everyone else regarding use of light and overall attention to details...goddamn PD .

GT has always and still has by far the best artists in the world for racing games.

It's barely even a comparison. They hit every note on the lighting so perfectly in their games as much as can possibly be done.

Even it compared to DriveClub you can see the sheer mastery of natural lighting and shader use, and DriveClub is a damn good looking game on its own.

cooldawn

After a long time away with it, I'm really enjoying getting back into FM6. It strikes just the right "simcade" feel, both in terms of gameplay and the way it looks. That buttery-smooth framerate doesn't hurt either. Here's one I took yesterday. This thing is so damn fun to drive!

PnEAfft.jpg
That's one of the best Forza shots I've seen.

It reminds me of a Forza 3 shot, simple but affective. It was a white Subaru Impreza face-on turning in to an apex of a corner that seemed to be on a decline. I tried to find it but god knows what it's tag'd as.

Appreciated but its well known that PD are unparalleled in the genre in lighting and modelling.

Rogas

Banned
Isn't it expected of PD to make a better looking game on more powerful hardware with wobbly framerates than T10 who are shackled with weaker hardware and a completely locked 60fps?

Javin98

Banned
I'm really amazed that thelastword is still around, honestly.

Isn't it expected of PD to make a better looking game on more powerful hardware with wobbly framerates than T10 who are shackled with weaker hardware and a completely locked 60fps?

Wooah, GTS has released and has wobbly frame rates. Damn, and here I thought the game got delayed. Do you have anymore performance insights from your copy?

Besides its not like extra hardware power is magically going to change their artists.

cooldawn

What is the point of these comparisons when they can't even be bothered to match time of day? These Digital Foundry comparisons are popular because there's nothing else out there...but they are also terrible at doing it.

They should have put GT5 in there for a laugh as well. Wonder how that would fair...I expect pretty damn well even by todays standards.

Yes, but don't let anybody hear you say that.
It's the way it's expressed more than anything. 'Locked' definitively means something and even when it's not, it's said to be.

Wooah, GTS has released and has wobbly frame rates. Damn, and here I thought the game got delayed. Do you have anymore performance insights from your copy?

Besides its not like extra hardware power is magically going to change their artists.
Again with this bullshit.

GT5 is out, was delayed many years and patched many years, still has a bad framerate.

GT6 is out, was patched for years, still has a bad framerate.

Notice the trend? If two Forza games had a bad framerate everyone would constantly be concerned about it, but somehow posts about GT's performance are constantly met with the "OH HOWS YOUR COPY THEN".

Revas

Well, by the time GTS releases hopefully the frame-rate will be smooth. By that time the FM7 and Scorpio will be in play so we'll have a totally different comparison. GT always looks more realistic to me, PD clearly know what they're doing.

Rogas

Banned

So PD would still make the better looking game if they had to develop for X1 and T10 for PS4?

GT5 is out, was delayed many years and patched many years, still has a bad framerate.

Notice the trend? If two Forza games had a bad framerate everyone would constantly be concerned about it, but suddenly GT is immune to performance talks.

Pretend concern is your stigma not mine.
GTS is not immune to performance talks, but at the very least I expect you guys to have the patience to wait for a final build to release to say things like having a wobbly frame rate, especially when we know about it being in dev and now a long way from release.

So PD would still make the better looking game if they had to develop for X1 and T10 for PS4?

The point being regardless of technical power some visual properties are due to art/modelling design. Lighting is one of those areas as well as dedication to the car models.
PD have leading artists. It has been known for generations.

Well, by the time GTS releases hopefully the frame-rate will be smooth. By that time the FM7 and Scorpio will be in play so we'll have a totally different comparison. GT always looks more realistic to me, PD clearly know what they're doing.

We can hope. Neo will probably be out as well.

c0de

It has to be smooth because of vr, if it is still supposed to support it. But I can also see them reducing the graphics by a good amount to ensure a stable framerate.

Notice the trend? If two Forza games had a bad framerate everyone would constantly be concerned about it, but somehow posts about GT's performance are constantly met with the "OH HOWS YOUR COPY THEN".

This is a new generation though and the Ps4 is not the same as the Ps3. We should wait and see.

LostDonkey

I can't imagine what forza is going to be like on Scorpio. It has to have full GI day/night weather etc etc with all that power right?

Same with GT on Neo that's supposed to be 2x gpu isn't it?

The future of this thread is mouthwatering.

Rogas

Banned
I can't imagine what forza is going to be like on Scorpio. It has to have full GI day/night weather etc etc with all that power right?

I don't think we should expect anything beyond better IQ if the policies of Sony and Microsoft are to be true.

Honestly if Forza Motorsport 7 is targetting true 4k at locked 60fps, I imagine the game to look very similar to 6, outside of IQ of course. Which will still look stunning as Forza 6 apex and I'm sure Horizon 3 look stunning at 4k.

Jamesways

Oh this thread... Can't have nice things where people just enjoy these games get along for more than 2 pages without the crazy not so secretly snide remarks.
I love this thread

Agreed cooldawn, they should have matched time of day to Fm. It's interesting how different they all look.

I'll get back to posting more AC shots later. Question for pc guys, anyone on the forums ever bring up the tilt-shift effect some of the far away shots give off?
Not knocking it but at times they look like toy cars in the distance. It's the DOF blur and shiny smooth lighting. I was trying to remember the term, tilt shift. I'll throw some examples up later.

amar212

It is easy to make 60fps when there is no features such as those in Gran Turismo games.

Gran Turismo did it on PS2, for all games. See GT5: Prologue on PS3 for same results.

Once the variable time of day, variable weather, alpha effects, volumetric real-time smoke, procedural damage and other things came into picture, framerate dipped to 50-60 fps.

But it makes no sense to argue over that, since many will say how any of above is less important than solid fps. And since everyone has a right to opinion, I concur. However, what PD has achieved on PS3 is nothing short than spectacular and no other driving game in the genre comes close to GT5 (and GT6 respectfully) regarding creation of overall driving sensation with as many variables possible.

While GT3 and 4 looked amazing (especially 3 for the time) I'd say PGR2 was ahead visually.

I guess what i'm saying is that even with weaker hardware they can compete with anyone. Putting what they do down to the power of the hardware takes away from just how good they are. I think they have hands down the best artists in the industry when it comes to racers. And that's a blessing and a curse. Because on one hand you get incredibly high quality assets, the downside is that they do everything in-house which means they simply can't have as many assets as they would they outsourced some of their work.

That's not to say power ins't important, but we've seen other racers on the hardware and they don't look as good even though they're working with the same console as PD.

GTS will be a buttery smooth 60fps at release when the traditional gfx downgrade is applied.

Top Bottom