• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Something will drastically change with AA? Won't change anything even with decent AA in photomode. Still will look bland compared to GTS interiors.
I don't see how GTS interiors relate to AA.

Or are you just annoyed that someone is talking positive about Forza again? Because I didn't even mention GTS.

Jamesways

Wise from your gwave!

BUMP in anticipation for AC console shots and GT:S photomode discussion!

And here's some random game shots...
Moto Gii Pii 16
28466305164_fc70b94fa7_h.jpg

28466306994_3989703049_h.jpg

28466307684_04164dce6e_h.jpg

RideClub
28466304604_4aee261290_h.jpg

pCARS
Reliving my Road America weekend...
28466304844_b8efe2572d_h.jpg

Jamesways

That is Valentino Rossi right? It looks so freakin good. PC shots right?

Yes, this is from Ps4. Milestone actually made a next gen looking MotoGP game. Who knew, right?!

They also added 4-5 filters for the free camera mode now too, which is a nice touch.

The Mustang drift and Rally car cockpit views don't look nearly as good as some other racers, but the bike and rider models are amazing.

Jamesways

Alright, let's post more pics.

AC- Ps4
28740695983_89bcd230ee_h.jpg

29361967505_b4b55f385c_h.jpg

28740698093_37dd58fe9d_h.jpg

28740696953_0aa208233b_h.jpg

Some clipping here.
28740697563_b521b37514_h.jpg

No photo mode or option to rotate camera around at all. :(

Also, where's the F1 shots? Come on people.

Noobcraft

Thread will probably get more active once Forza Horizon 3 launches, then die down again until GT Sport launches in 2017*.

*Maybe

Also Driveclub VR will probably spark quite a bit of discussion.

Jamesways

Thread will probably get more active once Forza Horizon 3 launches, then die down again until GT Sport launches in AS A LAUNCH TITLE FOR NEO *.

*Maybe

Also Driveclub VR will probably spark quite a bit of discussion.

Fixed!
You're right, I hope it explodes when FH3 hits.
And the occasional GTS preview shots will be sprinkled in I'm sure.

Until then I will spam this thread with AC/MotoGP/WRC/Ride shots.

I'm waiting for people to tear apart how AC looks. I'll post more shots in the next few days.

I'm waiting for people to tear apart how AC looks. I'll post more shots in the next few days.

Your shots above don't look too bad, but the tire clipping looks pretty bad, dunno if it's in the PC version or not. Look at the shot with the GTR on its own and the two with the Z4. It's like the road decals are a few inches above the road and you can see the tires through them.

Jamesways

Your shots above don't look too bad, but the tire clipping looks pretty bad, dunno if it's in the PC version or not. Look at the shot with the GTR on its own and the two with the Z4. It's like the road decals are a few inches above the road and you can see the tires through them.
Yeah, it's definitely noticeable, even on replays. I really wish you could zoom the camera or move it around.

The game seems to tear itself apart on its own. The share button adds V-sync so we won't see it here though lol.

Heeeyooo! That's too funny.

Here's hoping for patches to improve performance in the near future.

^ Would anyone be opposed to PC shots of a modded version of the game? There's a natural colours mod that I really like the look of and I've been using it a lot lately.

^ Would anyone be opposed to PC shots of a modded version of the game? There's a natural colours mod that I really like the look of and I've been using it a lot lately.

I have that one too, but have you tried the post processing color filters that come with the Paul Ricard track mod available at racedepartment (2 versions even)? It's too bright mostly, but the green looks so alive with it, for certain tracks I absolutely love it.

Made a clip a while ago, sadly the youtoube compression can't keep up with the higher FOV(on purpose for this clip... I wouldn't race with an FOV of 60), but take it as a preview to help decide if you should install and try it yourself:
https://youtu.be/jkuI5f-JoBE

Edit: Oh, and the Assetto console |OT| banner gif is made with that color mod too.

I have that one too, but have you tried the post processing color filters that come with the Paul Ricard track mod available at racedepartment (2 versions even)? It's too bright mostly, but the green looks so alive with it, for certain tracks I absolutely love it.

Made a clip a while ago, sadly the youtoube compression can't keep up with the higher FOV(on purpose for this clip... I wouldn't race with an FOV of 60), but take it as a preview to help decide if you should install and try it yourself:
https://youtu.be/jkuI5f-JoBE

Edit: Oh, and the Assetto console |OT| banner gif is made with that color mod too.

That looks pretty nice, never tried it though.

Jamesways

Going to take some now, but not sure which resolution to do. Would you rather see 4K with no AA downsampled to 1080 (cleaner looking), or 1080 with 4xMSAA (more "representative")?
Either is fine by me. Sorry for the late reply.

And that video looks great! I wish we had access to some mods on console. That's probably the wave of the future of companies follow Bethseda.

Either is fine by me. Sorry for the late reply.

And that video looks great! I wish we had access to some on console. That's probably the wave of the future of companies follow Bethseda.

Got three quick ones here, these are all just 1080p with AA hence the jaggies.

yVBXgQC.png

X8clpJy.jpg

D0Yf0eB.jpg

I quite like the Audi S1 as you might be able to guess.

EDIT: Just noticed the last two are 4K lol, so feel free to click them.

ghibli99

After a long time away with it, I'm really enjoying getting back into FM6. It strikes just the right "simcade" feel, both in terms of gameplay and the way it looks. That buttery-smooth framerate doesn't hurt either. Here's one I took yesterday. This thing is so damn fun to drive!

PnEAfft.jpg

Got three quick ones here, these are all just 1080p with AA hence the jaggies.

yVBXgQC.png

X8clpJy.jpg

D0Yf0eB.jpg

I quite like the Audi S1 as you might be able to guess.

Damn, I totally forgot about that free car!! Need to try that tomorrow.

But... do you really race with that FOV? Looks really "tunnel vision". Have you tried an FOV calculator?

Damn, I totally forgot about that free car!! Need to try that tomorrow.

But... do you really race with that FOV? Looks really "tunnel vision". Have you tried an FOV calculator?

I've never tried a calculator but it feels right to me. I don't like a high FOV in racing games because I want as much track visible as possible on interior view. The only bits of the interior I really need to see are the mirrors so I have it as low as I go while keeping the mirrors on screen.

Jamesways

Damn! Those are some great looking screenshots. The colors really pop.

Thanks for posting those.

I'm continually impressed with the lighting engine of the game, and how it reacts/affects materials. I've always been such a fan of SMS games as far as materials and lighting, but I think I prefer AC now comparing the two for a few days.

Man, all these screenshots of the various games, I can't believe games look this good, the visuals this gen are really remarkable IMO. I know I'm easily pleased but everything is so smooth and much more natural looking now than last gen.

I can't wait to see shots of FM3's crazy skyscapes and GT:S.

Damn! Those are some great looking screenshots. The colors really pop.

Thanks for posting those.

I'm continually impressed with the lighting engine of the game, and how it reacts/affects materials. I've always been such a fan of SMS games as far as materials and lighting, but I think I prefer AC now comparing the two for a few days.

Man, all these screenshots of the various games, I can't believe games look this good, the visuals this gen are really remarkable IMO. I know I'm easily pleased but everything is so smooth and much more natural looking now than last gen.

I can't wait to see shots of FM3's crazy skyscapes and GT:S.

I started to love AC's graphics recently too, funnily enough it was in comparison to pCARS like yours was. pCARS has odd looking areas, something to do with reflections, shadows, or a combination of the two. AC has that clean Forza look with no bad post processing or overlays/colour tints, and the natural mod just makes that even better IMO.

Jamesways

I started to love AC's graphics recently too, funnily enough it was in comparison to pCARS like yours was. pCARS has odd looking areas, something to do with reflections, shadows, or a combination of the two. AC has that clean Forza look with no bad post processing or overlays/colour tints, and the natural mod just makes that even better IMO.

Exactly. I said that in the AC thread, the look is so clean. Dare I open this can of worms, but much cleaner than even Driveclub under certain conditions.

I was reminded of something I remembered you posted in here about AC, ah, there it was, on 7-04, about nailing the mid-day look. Does it ever. Now I want that track, SW one, correct?

I'll post some more console pics in the next few days.

Exactly. I said that in the AC thread, the look is so clean. Dare I open this can of worms, but much cleaner than even Driveclub under certain conditions.

I was reminded of something I remembered you posted in here about AC, ah, there it was, on 7-04, about nailing the mid-day look. Does it ever. Now I want that track, SW one, correct?

I'll post some more console pics in the next few days.

What do you mean SW? I think the track I posted with those pictures was the Black Cat County one or whatever it's called. I also realised after those pictures that I had the "cool" tint active making it look bluer than usual. I should go back and take some shots on it with the natural mod and no filters...

Jamesways

What do you mean SW? I think the track I posted with those pictures was the Black Cat County one or whatever it's called. I also realised after those pictures that I had the "cool" tint active making it look bluer than usual. I should go back and take some shots on it with the natural mod and no filters...

South West track in the US, which is where I assumed the location was.
It does look a bit cooler in tone.

Which, incidentally, "Cold' is my favorite DC filter to race with. Turn it down to about 18-20%, gives it a very stylish look.
27116513533_6dba4cb937_h.jpg

South West track in the US, which is where I assumed the location was.
It does look a bit cooler in tone.

Which, incidentally, "Cold' is my favorite DC filter to race with. Turn it down to about 18-20%, gives it a very stylish look.
27116513533_6dba4cb937_h.jpg

Yeah Evo allowing us to race with the filters was great, was a shame to see them get dropped, they had some amazing talent.

Melchiah

After a long time away with it, I'm really enjoying getting back into FM6. It strikes just the right "simcade" feel, both in terms of gameplay and the way it looks. That buttery-smooth framerate doesn't hurt either. Here's one I took yesterday. This thing is so damn fun to drive!

PnEAfft.jpg

That's my favorite car in Driveclub as well, along with Caterham SP/300.R. Both control like a dream in twists and turns.

Jamesways

First time I've ever seen anyone brofist their dashboard.
When you have a special relationship with your car and make a great pass, a Brofist is definitely required.

Yeah Evo allowing us to race with the filters was great, was a shame to see them get dropped, they had some amazing talent.
It's a fantastic feature I'd love to see more games adopt. Plus the benefit of percentages too, turning one down to get just the right was really cool.

AC has really nice car models but everything else is bleurgh. It can look ok at specific points at certain times of day, but generally, not good. Even maxed out and downsampled from 4K.

Jamesways

Hahaha! That's great.

AC has really nice car models but everything else is bleurgh. It can look ok at specific points at certain times of day, but generally, not good.
Bah I say! BAH! I think it looks pretty darn good on console.
Not as polished as the big AAA games, but for a small team, not bad at all!

29404596865_06d8659b2d_h.jpg

29404597245_4f45d3ba03_h.jpg

Frickin' AI!
29369916896_411f3699ec_h.jpg

29369918736_3d726d997b_h.jpg

29404597955_4476c38b8b_h.jpg

29369918996_0c1dd9613a_h.jpg

shandy706

AC looooks....ehhhhhhh..ok I guess.

I do like that we're getting some more racers injected at least. Can't wait for FH3. Guess I'll take X1 and PC shots.

Jamesways

AC looooks....ehhhhhhh..ok I guess.

I do like that we're getting some more racers injected at least. Can't wait for FH3. Guess I'll take X1 and PC shots.

You're all some picky people. :p

Shandy, don't forget the Gifs. Please post some of your patented Gifs when FH3 hits.

29307004221_3e38dda012_h.jpg

29369917966_a9db5ea7d2_h.jpg

Jamesways

Ittears OfCorsa!

Really disappointed in AC performance, hoped someone other than T10 could deliver that 60fps magic, especially with no day/night cycle.

CM came damn close with Dirt Rally.

I'm calling it now. Kylotonn will get a locked, rock solid 60 with WRC6.
in the menus

CM came damn close with Dirt Rally.

I'm calling it now. Kylotonn will get a locked, rock solid 60 with WRC6.
in the menus

Ooh I forgot about Dirt Rally.

Unless AC gets an unlikely performance patch in the next few months I'll pick up DR instead. Been keeping an eye on the price drops.

Some more of the "natural unprocessed look while also nailing flat daytime" look. 4K with 2xMSAA down to 1080 for ultimate sharpness lol.

AC has some great optimisation. 24 cars on track, looking the way it does while running at 4K with 2xMSAA and still getting 45-55 on average (which of course GSync smoothens out so I don't need 60 like on console). Also TIL how nice the M235i is to drive.

Jamesways

Nice shots, love the lighting. Wonder when we'll see that track.

That BMW is a joy to drive. I've fallen in love with that and the American LeMans Battery Tender Lotus Evoras the past few days. Nice to see some lower class race models in this.

Grassy

AC has some great optimisation. 24 cars on track, looking the way it does while running at 4K with 2xMSAA and still getting 45-55 on average (which of course GSync smoothens out so I don't need 60 like on console). Also TIL how nice the M235i is to drive.

I've finally started playing a bit of AC lately, it does look and run great at 4k/60fps+ maxed out(980 Ti sli, 6700k etc). A few photo mode shots:

So someone on youtube, who requested to stay anonymous, reached out to me via email. He recognized me from my avatar on youtube because it looked similar to the one I use on here. In the email, he gave me a couple of slides that he wanted me to post on GAF because he doesn't have and account. I am in no way an expert with this sort of stuff but I found it informative so here they are.

28773004014_2b84049bb5_b.jpg

29362717936_a9b30bc396_b.jpg

29108780660_a7c3f1d50f_b.jpg

28775296573_c7966d4d92_b.jpg

29317540221_2f162db8b6_b.jpg

28775294623_94c1732fa8_b.jpg

29317537801_6dd6b8d8ed_b.jpg

29362714066_ce1da4c2c1_b.jpg

29288931572_abd065fbf8_b.jpg

29362713126_809a8ed935_c.jpg

PD have always been masters of lighting. Shame they can't get the performance down too like T10 can.

There's probably a connection between the two. I'm curious as to whether the Horizon games have that ambient lighting that makes hidden areas of the cockpit too bright. It makes sense in FM's prebaked lighting but I've never thought to check under FH's dynamic lighting.

Either way there's something drastically improved in FH3's car shaders/materials, I can't wait to see that at 60+ FPS.

Top Bottom