• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

a little reminder of DC shaders ^^

1473343416-driveclub-tm-20160908161541.png

1473343366-driveclub-tm-20160908153839.png

Didn't realise the orange peel was so strong on DC's car paint, looks nice.

Also, the Evora's brakelight surrounds are a perfect example of SSR. Those self reflections of the brakelight in the circular area add so much realism.

Jamesways

DC still looks unreal.

AC shots-
A shot that looks like a tilt-shift photo. Toy cars in effect
29434157652_d3eb8bad16_h.jpg

Love the Beemer
29434155602_04077f51f6_h.jpg

29462839521_71aad6db9e_h.jpg

29434141972_e5acc22f8d_h.jpg

28920700273_f1ddb6880e_h.jpg

Similar to above, just like the shot.
29543364585_72cb56877e_h.jpg

Cockpit comparison
AC-
29509250906_cd99472d40_h.jpg

puhCARS
29253568960_418f04f352_h.jpg

And with the incoming patch hopefully fixing the majority of the issues, I couldn't be happier with these two games.
I seriously feel set this gen for circuit racers so GTSport can take it's sweet time.

And a random MotoGP/V Rossi pic
29466236021_34278478e1_h.jpg

Cockpit comparison
AC-
29509250906_cd99472d40_h.jpg

puhCARS
29253568960_418f04f352_h.jpg

Holy Jesus... I remembered pCARS cockpits looking good even on Xbox One... seems I needed a memory refresh.
Well, I also remember the cars from early pCARS development looking worse than the newer ones, but still even if the Z4 is one of the older ones, it's really not great. Most people say that pCARS looks a little better than AC and I agreed, but maybe that was just because I remember it mostly for the great lighting under different weather conditions.

I just drove that car in GT6 an hour ago and not counting the resolution disadvantage, the pCARS Z4 cockpit doesn't really look better than the one in GT6. Just the reflection on the dashboard makes it look this-gen.
(Btw. GT6...? Still the best default replay cameras in all racing games(!), Mario Kart 8 is kinda great too and you can cut together similarly good ones or even better ones in other racing games/sims, but you have to put work into it).

nasanu

Banned
The king has returned. With godlike lighting.

God needs to go back to school. The lighting is ok, but not exceptional (and really doesn't capture the Aussie sun at all, needs to be brighter than the brightest thing). DC and GTS (though not yet released) are still the two kings of lighting.

Overall visually, I like how FH3 looks compared to Drive Club. I think it looks better graphically, but that's just my opinion.

I'm not sure how the overall quality of GT:Sport will turn out, but from the newer pics I've see of the cockpits, the lighting and material detail as well as geometry is better than anything I've seen before. So if they have a consistent level of quality throughout, it has a very good chance of being the most realistic looking.

These games are all beginning to look damn good tho.

Sebmugi

lol the king of what?
colorimetry is good, but the devil is in the details, the sky is a kind of embedded video in the 3D environment and not dynamic and volumetric things, no? Often I think it gives a real gap between the beauty of the sky and the rest of the decor. always glare and simple shaders on cars or on the wet road .. not to mention the cliping..well for an open world that's not so bad;)

To be fair, he said 'The king has returned. With godlike lighting'

He doesn't say anywhere 'the gfx king' meaning he could simply think that Forza Horizon is the best racing series.. and it's been improved greatly over FH2.

But I could be wrong.

strata8

I don't think FH3 quite reaches the peaks of Driveclub, but compared to FH2 it does a better job of looking realistic in a wider variety of situations.

Weak points are still weather, car shaders, reflections etc but overall it's a big improvement.

Jamesways

They killed Wipeout, Motorstorm and Evo Studios

I mean, there's not much left outside of GT

Not to mention the wheel/peripheral battle turning people away.

Also, in before the 30fps is a fucking slideshow argument that will come up again with FH3 and DC.

Game looks amazing. Please, more pics and gifs folks!

KORNdoggy

It looks cool and all, but the controls were really spotty and the games suffered from frustratingly generous rubber banding.

the rubber banding is what i loved (and still love in racers that try to capture excitement) it kept you seriously tense. and on a bike (my usual vehicle of choice) it was always scary knowing the rig you passed earlier could quite easily squash you later. it kept all the vehicle classes clashing and i feel like that was half of the point of motorstorm. no racer has touched that for fun factor for me. sucks there won't be another.

Jamesways

Frickin' awesome Gifs. Drone mode, brilliant.
Game looks really really good. And super fun.

Edit- Man, the buildings look so good too! Lighting effects are really something else.

Anyway I could see some in car/cockpit shots of FH3?

Here's a few more AC and pCARS shots
AC-
29404597695_6f6b8092a4_h.jpg

29369918996_0c1dd9613a_h.jpg

pCARS-
28466307744_50f20372ae_h.jpg

22127186582_67118db7ce_h.jpg

thelastword

Banned
anyway FH3 still makes me more regret the absence of a motorstorm for this console generation :((
1473749384-motorstorm2-1.gif
1473749437-motorstorm1.gif
Could you imagine what these guys would achieve on a PS4 after Driveclub???and could you imagine what they would be able to muster on the PS4.Pro from there....

So sad that EVO had to go.....

jett

D-Member
the rubber banding is what i loved (and still love in racers that try to capture excitement) it kept you seriously tense. and on a bike (my usual vehicle of choice) it was always scary knowing the rig you passed earlier could quite easily squash you later. it kept all the vehicle classes clashing and i feel like that was half of the point of motorstorm. no racer has touched that for fun factor for me. sucks there won't be another.

Man, for me it was just terrible. The last races in Motorstorm are just impossible. Vehicles come out of nowhere in the final stretch. Your racing skills don't matter.

The Ridge Racer franchise has historically done a better and fairer job of providing the feel of always being in the middle of the pack. You always start way at the back, and the cars in the lead are way out ahead. You're usually always moving through the pack throughout an entire race, getting first place on the final lap, sometimes barely. Ridge Racer V was GREAT at this.

On the other side of the spectrum you got a GT-like sim where you get first place rather quickly and the rest of the race is an afterthought.

Sebmugi

and yes I am sad for evo 'but I expected to see their upcoming multiplatform title, which I think will be great ..with "ps4 pro" and "scorpio" as a basis of work.. miam

and yes I am sad for evo 'but I expected to see their upcoming multiplatform title, which I think will be great ..with "ps4 pro" and "scorpio" as a basis of work.. miam

If multiplatform includes PC then it's not the Scorpio/Neo we should be drooling over. Evo bringing a title to PC would be insane.

Synth

The Ridge Racer franchise has historically done a better and fairer job of providing the feel of always being in the middle of the pack. You always start way at the back, and the cars in the lead are way out ahead. You're usually always moving through the pack throughout an entire race, getting first place on the final lap, sometimes barely. Ridge Racer V was GREAT at this.

And then RR6 happened, with those final 5 races, that rivalled the worst Pacific Rift ever came up with.

I'm getting angry just thinking about it.

Top Bottom