• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

If a developer wants to downgrade their visuals to go open world thats on them, this thread however is purely for the graphics and that video is visual proof which game has the better graphics and to be quite honest it isn't even close.

So you're saying:

1. All developers making open world games downgrade their visuals.
2. Youtube videoes of games = Visual proof
3. Nothing comes close to Driveclub for you.

Good to know, good to know.

shandy706

DC is still the king, no doubt for me after seeing this video.

Screw the video, having played them all now, FH3 is the best looking game overall. 4k FH3 is absolutely insane looking. (if you have the hardware...and the TV, lol)

DC's clay looking rocks and mountains annoy me. The 1000 copy and paste trees on screen are distracting too. It has some excellent lighting though.

So you're saying:

1. All developers making open world games downgrade their visuals.
The visual ceiling is a lot lower when creating an open world game. especially on consoles

2. Youtube videoes of games = Visual proof
No, Played them all on my own TV

3. Nothing comes close to Driveclub for you.
that is correct yes.

Broman1978

FH3 looks so effin good I almost cry sometimes
(Not my Gifs/pics thou)

FdltLq9.gif

zoT9Nxn.gif

RankoSD

If a developer wants to downgrade their visuals to go open world thats on them, this thread however is purely for the graphics and that video is visual proof which game has the better graphics and to be quite honest it isn't even close.

True, even in the sound department it isn't even close.
The sad thing is, we are comparing the graphics in arcade games, no matter how realistic the game looks, when you see them in motion with all those goofy physics the realistic look goes down badly.

True, even in the sound department it isn't even close.
The sad thing is, we are comparing the graphics in arcade games, no matter how realistic the game looks, when you see them in motion with all those goofy physics the realistic look goes down badly.

This is where Horizon wins the most for me. It looks incredible, but out of the arcade games in comparison, simcade is the winner. It still has all of the simulation from FM6 going on but with the grip turned up to 11. Seeing the suspension working when you're on a bumpier road or feeling the body roll in an SUV or landyacht is amazing.

cooldawn

Turn 10, from what I have seen, have been well and truly shamed by PlayGround Games. Visuals in Horizon are far more appealing, lighting is more realistic and set scenes so much better. It looks lush.

I know it's not that hard to beat Forza Motorsport but this is just so far beyond. I'd say the best looking XBOX One game yet.

c0de

Turn 10, from what I have seen, have been well and truly shamed by PlayGround Games. Visuals in Horizon are far more appealing, lighting is more realistic and set scenes so much better. It looks lush.

I know it's not that hard to beat Forza Motorsport but this is just so far beyond. I'd say the best looking XBOX One game yet.

It has twice the time to render a frame...

T.O.P

Banned

I can agree on part but half the framerate to work with does wonders

And let's not act like FM6 looks that bad

Especially in motion it looks fantastic and with a locked 60fps

rashbeep

Banned
Screw the video, having played them all now, FH3 is the best looking game overall. 4k FH3 is absolutely insane looking. (if you have the hardware...and the TV, lol)

DC's clay looking rocks and mountains annoy me. The 1000 copy and paste trees on screen are distracting too. It has some excellent lighting though.

I'd say the only thing Forza does better is the sky and the IQ. Lighting/shaders are still behind DC as well as track side details like foliage (FH3's weakest aspect imo). I think I prefer FH3 from an artistic sense, as it is quite pretty in that way.

Look at the FH3 performcance thread, people with a GTX 970 play that game on Ultra settings @1080p/30fps, if you want 60fps though... even a GTX 1080 can't keep that 100% of the time in only 1080p.
Forza Apex on the other hand can get over 300fps on my PC on a mix of low/medium settings while still looking almost as good as the XB1 version.

Also Forza Motorsport 6 allows for 23 opponents on XB1 (15 for Apex on PC), FH3 only 11 in both versions.

CrayToes

DC will forever be the most impressive game during the more dramatic moments like heavy rain and nighttime. I personally think FH3 looks prettier most of the time though. The game is always gorgeous.

strata8

You can tell that Forza Horizon 3 is fairly simple from a technology perspective in a number of areas (I can't fault Playground for that because they're limited by the Forza Engine), but they've absolutely nailed the lighting. Just the colours, the ambient lighting, sun intensity, atmosphere etc are all almost perfect which allows it to punch well above its weight.

Plus there's some genuinely impressive tech in there like the water and the sky. Both are some of the best out there IMO.

thelastword

Banned
DC will forever be the most impressive game during the more dramatic moments like heavy rain and nighttime. I personally think FH3 looks prettier most of the time though. The game is always gorgeous.
Not only during weather though, DC is technically the most impressive even without weather, it's lighting, draw distance and detail is unmatched.

One thing is certain, the sunny bright atmosphere and nice locales of FH3 is definitely appealing, but technically, it's not impressive.

So many great Forza gifs by Sunhi.

Driveclub still has the best rain. Overall I prefer the visuals of FH3, which also features the best sky in a video game.

novabolt

I guess Evolution was very lucky that the PS4 was 1.8TF because if PGG are doing this on a 1.3 - 1.4TF console, I don't want to know what they would do with 1.8TFlops.

I bet that Evolution also chose visuals over technical performance.

thelastword

Banned
I guess Evolution was very lucky that the PS4 was 1.8TF because if PGG are doing this on a 1.3 - 1.4TF console, I don't want to know what they would do with 1.8TFlops.

I bet that Evolution also chose visuals over technical performance.
You do realize that Horizon is 30fps? So whatever you mean by technical performance is still adrift.

The thing about DC is that it had no weather at launch, but weather was patched in and several other performance and visual upgrades over the course of the game's launch at no performance penalty.

Though Forza Horizon 3 is a good looking game, do you think if it got an upgrade as massive as the weather update Dc got it would still run a solid 30fps. We're already seeing the compromises made to get it running a solid 30fps on the XB1, which is a good thing, good framerate and a solid enough balance on visuals, but technically it's not even in the same ballpark as DC.

Gaenor

Banned
Though Forza Horizon 3 is a good looking game, do you think if it got an upgrade as massive as the weather update Dc got it would still run a solid 30fps. We're already seeing the compromises made to get it running a solid 30fps on the XB1, which is a good thing, good framerate and a solid enough balance on visuals, but technically it's not even in the same ballpark as DC.

I also don't understand novabolt's comment about DC's problem regarding technical performance (both are locked/near-locked 30 fps).

But it also is quite disingenuous to ask if FH3 would run as well with a massive weather upgrade a la DC. It would be like asking if DC would run as well (with the same visual fidelity) with an upgrade making it open-world. It really is a non-argument.

I've played and very much enjoyed both games, and in my eyes they both hit high notes regarding graphics in different areas. FH3 for image quality and skyboxes. DC for weather and overall details. I think both games have great car models and great lighting in their own ways.

Overall, I'd say FH3 is more "consistant" in the graphics department, whereas DC's high are higher and DC's low are lower. IMO, of course.

Edit: I guess I'd give the edge to Driveclub, because when everything comes together, the game is literally jaw-dropping.

Not only during weather though, DC is technically the most impressive even without weather, it's lighting, draw distance and detail is unmatched.

One thing is certain, the sunny bright atmosphere and nice locales of FH3 is definitely appealing, but technically, it's not impressive.

You do realize that Horizon is 30fps? So whatever you mean by technical performance is still adrift.

The thing about DC is that it had no weather at launch, but weather was patched in and several other performance and visual upgrades over the course of the game's launch at no performance penalty.

Your persistence in trolling the Xbox One and Forza on Gaf is getting embarrassing.

Do you really think that the weather update wasn't planned and tested on the engine in advance in DC? It's not like the magically got new hardware to play on.

It's so ridiculous to say that if FH3 should get some imaginary update it can't handle it. So I guess if they held back the weather because of a lazy and a rushed release, Playground would be your worshiping alter?

"Doom is such a technical unimpressive title because it couldnt handle my made up future updates that I truly believe they had not planned and tested in advance."

thelastword

Banned
I also don't understand novabolt's comment about DC's problem regarding technical performance (both are locked/near-locked 30 fps).

But it also is quite disingenuous to ask if FH3 would run as well with a massive weather upgrade a la DC. It would be like asking if DC would run as well (with the same visual fidelity) with an upgrade making it open-world. It really is a non-argument.

I've played and very much enjoyed both games, and in my eyes they both hit high notes regarding graphics in different areas. FH3 for image quality and skyboxes. DC for weather and overall details. I think both games have great car models and great lighting in their own ways.

Overall, I'd say FH3 is more "consistant" in the graphics department, whereas DC's high are higher and DC's low are lower. IMO, of course.

Edit: I guess I'd give the edge to Driveclub, because when everything comes together, the game is literally jaw-dropping.
You saw the comment I quoted right? He said that if PGG can do FH3 with a 1.4TF console he could only imagine what they'd do with 1.8TF. That's insinuating that Evolution which have had the best looking offroad racers in WRC in the PS2 era and arguably the best looking arcade racers on last gen consoles in Motorstorm, would not be able to deliver on a 1.4TF console like PGG.

Which brings the point, whilst PGG have a nice looking racer on their hands, visually and technically it's not the best looking racer out there. One can even argue in favour of The Crew and NFS as being more technically advantaged over FH3 in many respects, but what one can't argue is that any of these games are on the same level with DC on a technical or visual level.

So when I brought up the weather update...which is massive, it was to point out that the game was already a solid performer without it and it's still a solid performer with such a substantial upgrade... and please note; weather was not the only visual upgrade that DC had over it's lineage of patches, there have been patches to improve IQ, effects and even performance (would you know it). So this is certainly not a developer that simply places emphasis on visuals at the expense of framerate, if the patches say anything is that performance is equally high on their agenda as it should be. The difference is they are able to present top notch visuals without skipping a beat of their intended target. So they're hitting both baskets simultaneously.

etta

my hard graphic balls
This... this sure is something.

Gestault

I feel like visuals should be self-evident. If you're rationalizing how much better one looks, that's weak stuff for a thread intended for cool pics/gifs/videos.

Tripolygon

Banned

Synth

Why are we talking about getting "weather upgrades and still holding 30fps" in a comparison of two games that... have weather? Driveclub had overhead available as the game was initially targeting 60fps, and didn't hit it.

Nope. Literally no two cloud formations are the same in driveclub except in saved challenges. DC does sky very well.

DC Day cycle + cloud formation at high altitudes and a glimps of Aurora Borealis
OcLnJvA.gif

Makes me so sad to know they won't be doing a PS4Pro version of this game. Or that DC2 will never happen. F Sony for killing this amazing game. Simply the best looking racing game I have seen with most realistic lighting. Amazing tech when it all comes together.

Putty

Is this one of the new tracks coming with Driveclub VR? I've never seen this place in the game... =o

Also, what is that thing flying there?!

This I believe is an old advert of sorts. The floating thing is a number 4, which I believe has something to do with the UK's Chanel 4...

I loooove DC, but while it can certainly look amazing, it can look pretty bland too.
For me DC pre-patch is a whole different game than after the patch.
Without the weather and time of day options, it did look good, but it did not blow me away. But....With the right lighting, the right weather it can look downright amazing.

FH3 on the other hand looks great most of the time and that's quite an accomplishment for an open world racer.

desu

Is this one of the new tracks coming with Driveclub VR? I've never seen this place in the game... =o

Also, what is that thing flying there?!

You never know, but this is from one of the very first (if not the first) trailer of Driveclub. It was never in the final game.

rashbeep

Banned
Nope. Literally no two cloud formations are the same in driveclub except in saved challenges. DC does sky very well.

I've mentioned this in another thread where the tech behind DC clouds is neat, but in practice don't produce very nice looking results. The sheer amount of screens/gifs we've seen from FH3 further illustrate that point.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I think FH3 at 1440p even looks way better than DC. DC's weather effects and lighting are better but it only really looks great from the cockpit view IMO. FH3 is something else in motion, especially with all the stuff it has going on like the fantastic vegetation and destructible environments.

Aceofspades

Banned
I think FH3 at 1440p even looks way better than DC. DC's weather effects and lighting are better but it only really looks great from the cockpit view IMO. FH3 is something else in motion, especially with all the stuff it has going on like the fantastic vegetation and destructible environments.

Nah, resolution should clean up the IQ, It won't magically create better assets and lightning.

Tripolygon

Banned
...i haven't said a thing about DC skyboxes :|
You quoted someone who said Horizon had the best skybox in a video game and posted Screenshots. I assumed you agreed and posted screenshot that proves that it has the best skybox.

I disagreed and posted screens and gifs to show DC skybox is one of the best in any video game.

This was my train of thought, but apologies if i misunderstood your post.

T.O.P

Banned
You quoted someone who said Horizon had the best skybox in a video game and posted Screenshots. I assumed you agreed and posted screenshot that proves that it has the best skybox.

I disagreed and posted screens and gifs to show DC skybox is one of the best in any video game.

This was my train of thought, but apologies if i misunderstood your post.

No probs, i love 'em both honestly

On one side i have FH3 wich screams have fun cruising the australian roads while blasting EDM on your sound system, on the other side DC wich screams, we about to do some serious business son

Both achieve what they want to do amazingly well on the graphical department

Top Bottom