• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
One of the things that Driveclub does incredibly well is the real time reflections on surfaces. Seeing the car reflect the environment, other cars, and on itself really grounds the vehicles in the world.

xLQo.jpg

FH3 has really nice reflections as well

Forza Horizon is a second gen title. Driveclub is a first gen title. Its pretty good looking even on the Xbox One but not as good as DC. On PC it looks better. DC would also look miles better on a powerful PC.

Yeah, I liked DC well enough and spent a decent amount of time with it. It's a shame we'll never get a sequel but now that most of the team is with Codemasters maybe we'll see what they can do with a PC version. FH3 to me is just consistently better looking but I'm playing on PC and DC is a 2 year old game and first effort.

Ouch. It looks incredible, but the movement is completely off. And yes I know that it's sped up.

The movement looks off because they're using drone mode which bobs around, and they stabilized the gif so the terrain is steady but the sky bobs around a bit lol..

Unless you mean the formations.. as in the way the clouds roll?

Pif

Banned
This is supposed to be better than
GVC3T5x.gif

This?
WLuoFwM.gif
No.

I listed those problems as belonging to Forza and being absent from DC due to the different approaches.

It's like baked lighting vs ray tracing. With the more handcrafted nature of the first one you are more likely to see weird visual behavior.

Pif

Banned
Ouch. It looks incredible, but the movement is completely off. And yes I know that it's sped up.
The worst is when they try to implement "cloud waves" - which occur in nature - and it seems like they just simply plucked the texture from above to make it look wavy.

Again, at normal playing speed is way too slow to notice.

Tripolygon

Banned
Driveclub's skyboxes coupled with its dynamic lightning can create something special.

However, one thing that I've always found missing in DC's skyboxes is the lack of distinct forms in clouds, like cumulonimbus for example.

photo-cumulonimbus-en-formation-dans-ciel-bleu-p.g

But yeah, we're really talking about clouds in video games lol...
Yea thats the only part thats lacking. It attempts to do that when its about to rain sometimes, especially in india and chile tracks.

strata8

The worst is when they try to implement "cloud waves" - which occur in nature - and it seems like they just simply plucked the texture from above to make it look wavy.

Again, at normal playing speed is way too slow to notice.

No.

I listed those problems as belonging to Forza and being absent from DC due to the different approaches.

It's like baked lighting vs ray tracing. With the more handcrafted nature of the first one you are more likely to see weird visual behavior.

Why even bring it up if it's not present in normal gameplay?

Tripolygon

Banned
No.

I know, just using a gif to illustrate what you were talking about.

rashbeep

Banned
Even on a 1080 GTX rig, this timelapse FH3 video demonstrates the flaws of a handcrafted sky as opposed of DC's volumetric solution:

https://youtu.be/t7YlasZrh2g

The stutering, texture swaps and overall flatness are problems absent from DC's more natural skyboxes.

The good part is that at normal play speed this is impossible to notice on FH3. Hence the game's praise for it's sky. Which is deserved despite the trickery going on.

You're right, this is a good thing. Unfortunately I notice the flaws (like lack of definition and lighting anomalies) with DC's implementation while playing.

strata8

Photo mode is also not present in normal gameplay.

Yet most screens are photo mode in this thread.

But there's no way to demonstrate the issues you mention in-game. It's only apparent when you take a video and speed it up externally, completely different from photomode.

Pif

Banned
You're right, this is a good thing. Unfortunately I notice the flaws (like lack of definition and lighting anomalies) with DC's implementation while playing.

Post a gif/video of said flaws please.

I play the game often, and apart of some events having scripted cloud behavior, I don't remember running into those issues.

Jamesways

Oh they will. It won't be called Driveclub though, but I'm there day 1.

In Rushy we trust.
It'll be called Grid 3.

; )

So on the DC visuals, I love the bike mode. Talking about the light reflecting off materials in that game, the on board views are so damn realistic and convincing because of it. I post a lot of Milestone bike game shots here too, and they've really come a long way. MotoGP16 looks great, And the on boards/helmet cam vids I've seen of Ride 2 look much improved, but it's still quite jarring compared to how DC's looks in terms of lighting and realism.

Pif

Banned
It'll be called Grid 3.

; )

So on the DC visuals, I love the bike mode. Talking about the light reflecting off materials in that game, the on board views are so damn realistic and convincing because of it. I post a lot of Milestone bike game shots here too, and they've really come a long way. MotoGP16 looks great, And the on boards/helmet cam vids I've seen of Ride 2 look much improved, but it's still quite jarring compared to how DC's looks in terms of lighting and realism.

I found the Bike mode a bit of a cash cow trying to ride DC's newly found hype with the weather update back then. Not really a fan, but I ended up buying it also of course. The bikes looked pristine but the riders not so much. Also the tracks were not as fun as they were with cars.

John Wick

Well, I happen to have a GTX 1080 SLI PC, lol, but no. On Xbox One I think it looks better than DC as well.

And I think if Evolution was to make DC2 a completely open world racer like FH3, you'd probably find that's not the case.

I think if PlayGround Games was to make a racer in the vein of DC.. they could do much better even still.

But regardless, both games look great. I don't want to dog on Driveclub. I just think it's been surpassed.

No it doesn't look better on Xbox One. DC is better and far more realistic looking than the stylised and bright looking FH3. The weather is in a different class. A second DC would be even better.
Considering that Evolution already made games like Motorstorm I'd think you'd be surprised what Evolution could have done with open world racing. But maybe you didn't think about that did you?
DC is still lauded for its visuals and it's best in class weather system 2 years on. Can the same be said of FH2?

Yup you can't take his or Etta's opinion for any value as Forza has always been better than DC or even GT

Not only are you wrong, but you replied after a post from me detailing just how you're wrong.

Nice work just straight up saying "disregard these guys' opinion" though. Real smooth.

Jamesways

I found the Bike mode a bit of a cash cow trying to ride DC's newly found hype with the weather update back then. Not really a fan, but I ended up buying it also of course. The bikes looked pristine but the riders not so much. Also the tracks were not as fun as they were with cars.
Oh I'm completely the opposite. I don't race much with the cars anymore. I know the bikes have very arcade physics and handling, but it's a super fun mode that's a stark contrast to the physics in MotoGP for me. The sense of speed is insane.

I love bike racers in general too. I wish I could get DCs bikes and graphics with Ride's real world courses.

etta

my hard graphic balls
John Wick and Dan trying so hard to convice people that their opinion is right 😂😂
Talks about hyperbole but uses "miles better" and "runs circles around" 😂😂
Desperation so thick you can bag it.

rashbeep

Banned
Post a gif/video of said flaws please.

I play the game often, and apart of some events having scripted cloud behavior, I don't remember running into those issues.

The weird lighting issues are a bit trickier to find as they don't happen often, but just a simple google search will show what I mean when I say they lack definition.

No it doesn't look better on Xbox One. DC is better and far more realistic looking than the stylised and bright looking FH3. The weather is in a different class. A second DC would be even better.
Considering that Evolution already made games like Motorstorm I'd think you'd be surprised what Evolution could have done with open world racing. But maybe you didn't think about that did you?
DC is still lauded for its visuals and it's best in class weather system 2 years on. Can the same be said of FH2?

First of all, it DOES... in my opinion? Or did you forget that I'm allowed to have a different one? FH3 also looks more REALISTIC, than Drivclubs clay ass looking environments.. which only look decent when they're coated with specular effects, which is why everyone always posts weather effect gifs.

And I did know that Evolution made Motorstorm.. and I did think about it. I also thought of all the effects that would be watered down and removed if they tried to do it with Driveclub.

DC is lauded for its visuals, because it's a nice looking game... it's also a game Sony fans are desperate to hold on to because they can't fathom the fact that another racing game would look better... especially on Xbox One. And I wasn't comparing DC to Forza Horizon 2... but you know what FH2 is still lauded for? Being the best racing game of the generation... until now.. that FH3 is out.

Noobcraft

Driveclub and FH3 trade blows imo. Driveclub does rain and windshield physics better. It also tends to have more detailed car models, uses SSR to great effect, and the volumetric clouds usually add a lot to the scene. That said, the fact that they didn't model the undercarriage at all on any of the cars is disappointing, and Forza does that. Forza Horizon 3 also looks to have higher resolution/better texture work overall, the tree trunks look better for the most part, and it has better image quality in gameplay by a longshot. Forza does tire smoke and splashing through water better. Both games are capable of creating great results, and ultimately both look amazing at best and hilariously bad at worst. Driveclub probably pushes more advanced tech but it has 500ish GFLOPs more to work with at an equal resolution/framerate.

psn

While playing FH3 and DC the biggest difference is that FH3 can be easily identified as a game. The color Palette, the lightning... Its very easy to see. Driveclub on the other hand looks often very close to real life. The lightning, the weather is just so much better.

I know that the IQ is worse, but only DC is able to give me that wow effect.

I play FH3 in 4k on pc, and the IQ, the atmosphere and the soundtrack are really good. But its definitely not the best looking game in my opinion.

Pif

Banned
The weird lighting issues are a bit trickier to find as they don't happen often, but just a simple google search will show what I mean when I say they lack definition.
I see what you mean right now. Agree.

FH3 flat sky textures give it the upper hand in definition around the edges. I guess that is way to cpu intensive for DC's to achieve with volumetric shenanigans.

While playing FH3 and DC the biggest difference is that FH3 can be easily identified as a game. The color Palette, the lightning... Its very easy to see. Driveclub on the other hand looks often very close to real life. The lightning, the weather is just so much better.

I know that the IQ is worse, but only DC is able to give me that wow effect.

I play FH3 in 4k on pc, and the IQ, the atmosphere and the soundtrack are really good. But its definitely not the best looking game in my opinion.

That's my overall opinion also. I'm more of a sucker for videogamey graphics, it draws me more for whatever reason. The reason I flock into the likes of Crysis, Assassins Creed Unity and Driveclub is how much it achieved to look photoreal.

Yeah, I've just started in DC due to forza hooking me into racing. When it's raining and you're flying along, nothing looks better to me than DC. I'm not trying to knock forza. It's a beautiful game and the art is top notch, but DC is just a bit nicer/realistic. If anything, it's a compliment to the amazing job playground did with forza considering it's open world.

SliChillax

Haven't played DC but what bothers me about Forza is that the cars always look plastic, especially the interiors I think Turn 10 sucks at doing. The texturing and detail is off on most cars compared to real life. I don't know what it is about Forza in general, love the games, love how they look but sometimes they just look off.

ViciousDS

Banned
Only thing that annoys me about forza is the skipping time lapse. Shadows skipping instead of naturally moving annoys the living shit out of me

leng jai

DC and Horizon have completely different art direction and both look incredible in their own way. Honestly even with the exaggerated colour palette Horizon 3 still manages to look photo realistic at times during day time lighting. The thing that kills it for me is the dreadful pop-in which is still bad on PC. The bonnet reflections look fantastic too.

DriveClub is the opposite - it looks way better during overcast conditions and the weather effects make a massive difference. The game has always look somewhat flat during normal day time lighting and it never seems to be able to pull off the bright sunny day look. Pre weather patch I didn't really consider DriveClub to be a graphical powerhouse, it really made a huge difference.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Well shit... I thought FutbolBat would quote me first and say "cool looking, but not realistic" or "dull".

also, oh hi Noobcraft. See you haven't posted your patented Driveclub pic yet.
So hostile.
What's the matter, can't get people to agree with your opinion?

Sebmugi

I missed the beginning of hostilities XD

to see two games turned on the same tv
Driveclub for me remains the technical master, the most telling example is the photo mode in the 2 games. In Driveclub more you zoom more we are surprised by the details, with horizon forza 3 is often the opposite ..
the clouds are more beautiful in FH but often found the same, so it has more variety in DC due to the fact of different countries visited ;)

and then in FH is the big technical gap certainly a result of the open world, but modelisation other cars or the distance of the environment the display is really too limites..an example of modeling non-player cars :O it is not far from standard models GT6 ;) (like forza 6 moreover :( )

and here images of models of non-player cars in DC

it only prevents FH3 hits hard globally and I like the game <3
I download the demo forza forizon 2 is the gap is huge in terms of graphics oO

BigLee74

Dumb. What does that post prove except drive club and forza handle their photo modes differently? Forza just likely assumes you will want to focus on the car you are driving - not unreasonable. Posting photo shots using full zoom on distant objects to abuse lods is just bait to feed the frothing mouths of the DC massive! ;)

Both games look great, and excel in different areas. Both are technical masterpieces.

Sebmugi

one must judge a game technically on a set, for me outside the post-processing, photo mode allows master emphasis on the details and that is what is the fact that the difference between the two games;)
and in FH3 and the gap between the most beautiful and the ugliest is the largest..but I agree FH3 is superb to play ;)

TBiddy

Considering FH3 is an open-world game on the weaker console, whereas DC is linear on the stronger console, I'd argue that FH3 is a much larger technical feat.

I don't think there's a definite answer as to which looks better. They both excel in different parts.

Bravoexo

Even on a 1080 GTX rig, this timelapse FH3 video demonstrates the flaws of a handcrafted sky as opposed of DC's volumetric solution:

https://youtu.be/t7YlasZrh2g

The stutering, texture swaps and overall flatness are problems absent from DC's more natural skyboxes.

The good part is that at normal play speed this is impossible to notice on FH3. Hence the game's praise for it's sky. Which is deserved despite the trickery going on.

Drone wouldn't stay still... YT image enhancement 'stabilize' did an ok job.

Bravoexo

Drone shot. Plus I had to resort to YT 'stabiize' image enhancement, hence the juddering on the clouds for some reason. Anyway, FH3's sunrise / sunset are breathtaking...

Sebmugi

Considering FH3 is an open-world game on the weaker console, whereas DC is linear on the stronger console, I'd argue that FH3 is a much larger technical feat.

I don't think there's a definite answer as to which looks better. They both excel in different parts.

can be considered as that one was released in early gen and the other near the end .. ;)
and this is the work of a single studio from scratch facing the forza license to share resources between multiple studio ..

when I think that we will not have DC² :((
1475655493-giphy.gif

strata8

I think the need to run at 1080p 60fps on the XB1 somewhat limits the Forza engine. Playground's not going to redo everything from scratch, we know they use the same car models and probably even the same shaders.

John Wick

Not only are you wrong, but you replied after a post from me detailing just how you're wrong.

Nice work just straight up saying "disregard these guys' opinion" though. Real smooth.

Because you have a habit of coming to DC and GT threads and Forza is always better in your opinion. Or did I just imagine that?

Top Bottom