• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Pif

Banned
Driveclub is still ahead on a technical level.

But Horizon 3 somehow looks more pleasant for me to look at. Great color pallete and vibrant landscapes.

Tripolygon

Banned
I've mentioned this in another thread where the tech behind DC clouds is neat, but in practice don't produce very nice looking results. The sheer amount of screens/gifs we've seen from FH3 further illustrate that point.
We'll have to agree to disagree i suppose.

Some gameplay and photomode shots of FM6, which is more impressive overall than DC given what its achieving ( much better physics, 60fps, better AA)

HN5ztZ8.jpg

LPDiSQz.jpg

4cW5XRl.jpg

DlbAxTp.jpg

T.O.P

Banned
As soon as i'm even barely bored of H3 (gonna take a while) i'm firing up FM6 again, never finished a couple of those endurance races :)

FH3 is also much better looking during normal gameplay. Only time DC really shines is when weather is in full effect. On a sunny day, DC looks kinda bad imo. 2 gameplay shots and 2 photo mode

55zFYOI.jpg

6OmjFe4.jpg

Fgc4mME.jpg

KWI3AJA.jpg

Aceofspades

Banned
FH3 is also much better looking during normal gameplay. Only time DC really shines is when weather is in full effect. On a sunny day, DC looks kinda bad imo. 2 gameplay shots and 2 photo mode

55zFYOI.jpg

6OmjFe4.jpg

Fgc4mME.jpg

KWI3AJA.jpg

Well, Judging by the video posted above (which does better comparison of 4 games replicating similar situations)

DC looks way ahead of anything else. better car models, way better lightning, weather effects ahead of anyone else....etc

etta

my hard graphic balls
Forza Horizon's 3 art style and design direction is so much more vivid, lively, and atmospheric. It makes even Forza Motorsport 6 look static and sterile, DriveClub a boatload more so. Art direction combined with the absolute best in class skyboxes, 1080p/4X MSAA, fantastic foliage, object, and environmental detail easily makes it the best looking racer.

QCjejKH.png

SZalRHq.png

uUEssLt.png

pqJqPuE.png

doIhIAZ.png

ueT7igq.png

7PMZA3x.png

ulz7uoO.png

JHmPPUx.png

LUiKaIF.png

B7iPw0K.png

aenhoE7.png

QbhTKVr.png

desu

Some gameplay and photomode shots of Forza Motorsport Apex, which is more impressive overall than DC given what its achieving ( much better physics, 60fps, better AA)

Corrected!

Well, I am glad a game running on "10x" more powerful hardware in 4k actually looks better.

Anyway Driveclub remains the only game that still wow's me after all this time. It has its rough edges but it has this certain atmosphere that I can't put into words.

Never liked the look of FM in general, however for what its aiming to achieve it does look pretty awesome.

For FH3, just as DC it sometimes can look pretty bland and then a few minutes later totally awesome again. The best part about the game is when you have races with fog and dawn/dusk at the same time, looks absolutely breathtaking (like some of ettas screenshots). I still think the game could look better if a low powered console wasn't the main development platform. Really hoping Scorpio will mean that FM7 will look even more crazy on PC.

Jamesways

Best looking racer... FH3, DC... HA!
Pfft.
I mean, I guess they look ok. You guys just wait until Friday when WRC6 and Ride 2 comes out! I'll be posting mind shattering
numbing, extremely average looking
pics.

Seriously though the pics and gifs in this thread of late are incredible.

No doubt in my mind, Forza Horizon 3 looks better while playing. Can't speak to much about reviews and photo modes, as I only play racing games. I don't take the photos past my first 60 minutes.

First, everyone was posting FH3 Photo mode screen shots clamoring how amazing it looks and as soon as someone posts a DC photo mode the subject has now changed to ppl not caring about photo mode and how FH3 looks better while playing. Ok then.

Forza Horizon 3 looks better than Driveclub to me in almost every aspect. I guess the rain windscreen animation looks better in cockpit view in DC, but that's about it.

First, everyone was posting FH3 Photo mode screen shots clamoring how amazing it looks and as soon as someone posts a DC photo mode the subject has now changed to ppl not caring about photo mode and how FH3 looks better while playing. Ok then.

lol.. It' doesn't matter what mode you show the game off in, FH3 looks better ;)

I think FH3 looks far better in photo mode and gameplay. Some people =/= everyone.

Stillmatic

FH3 graphics are more stylized, it's completely acceptable some people think it looks better than DC as it's a great looking game. But without question DC looks the most realistic, still, after all this time.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So these posters that you speak of did both of those things?

commedieu

Banned
So DC looks dull, huh? And the cloud tech is good but doesn't produce good looking results.

WTF is this thread. 😞

(Sits back in his rocking chair)

This happens every new forza release. Every time.

DC speaks for itself, and polyphony has a lot to catch up to imo. From both dc and fh3. Fh3 is amazing looking. Pissed I don't have a xbox.

rashbeep

Banned
So DC looks dull, huh? And the cloud tech is good but doesn't produce good looking results.

WTF is this thread. 😞

Since this one's directed at me, care to elaborate what's wrong with that statement? FH3 may not use volumetric clouds, yet they look much more realistic and are more varied.

Also, I said DC's tech is "neat" not "good" ;)

SaganIsGOAT

One of the things that Driveclub does incredibly well is the real time reflections on surfaces. Seeing the car reflect the environment, other cars, and on itself really grounds the vehicles in the world.

Pif

Banned
Since this one's directed at me, care to elaborate what's wrong with that statement? FH3 may not use volumetric clouds, yet they look much more realistic and are more varied.

Also, I said DC's tech is "neat" not "good" ;)
To me they also don't.

The whole game looks more "cartooney" due to the color pallete, and that's not a bad thing. I really prefer fh3 visuals despite being inferior to driveclub. Tastes. Street Fighter 5 also has better visuals than tekken 7 for me despite not being in the same league.

Anyway just came to post one last gif:

giphy.gif

John Wick

I think FH3 at 1440p even looks way better than DC. DC's weather effects and lighting are better but it only really looks great from the cockpit view IMO. FH3 is something else in motion, especially with all the stuff it has going on like the fantastic vegetation and destructible environments.

Forza Horizon is a second gen title. Driveclub is a first gen title. Its pretty good looking even on the Xbox One but not as good as DC. On PC it looks better. DC would also look miles better on a powerful PC.

Pif

Banned
Even on a 1080 GTX rig, this timelapse FH3 video demonstrates the flaws of a handcrafted sky as opposed of DC's volumetric solution:

https://youtu.be/t7YlasZrh2g

The stutering, texture swaps and overall flatness are problems absent from DC's more natural skyboxes.

The good part is that at normal play speed this is impossible to notice on FH3. Hence the game's praise for it's sky. Which is deserved despite the trickery going on.

John Wick

Forza Horizon 3 looks better than Driveclub to me in almost every aspect. I guess the rain windscreen animation looks better in cockpit view in DC, but that's about it.

lol.. It' doesn't matter what mode you show the game off in, FH3 looks better ;)

On what??? GTX 1080 PC's or Xbox One??? The weather in DC is still better. I think if Evolution were given the chance to make a DC2 it'd run circles around FH3

No game does skybox like Driveclub. None

No game can compare to driveclub in skybox.

Sounds like you're making a chant to convince us.

Far better? Hyperbole much
Maybe on PC it shines but even then the performance leaves a lot to be desired.

No hyperbole at all. No single game has made me stop and go into photomode and be like "wow" anywhere near as much as that game and it hasn't even been out two weeks.

Gaenor

Banned
No game does skybox like Driveclub. None

Driveclub's skyboxes coupled with its dynamic lightning can create something special.

However, one thing that I've always found missing in DC's skyboxes is the lack of distinct forms in clouds, like cumulonimbus for example.

photo-cumulonimbus-en-formation-dans-ciel-bleu-p.jpg

But yeah, we're really talking about clouds in video games lol...

Pif

Banned
On what??? GTX 1080 PC's or Xbox One??? The weather in DC is still better. I think if Evolution were given the chance to make a DC2 it'd run circles around FH3
Oh they will. It won't be called Driveclub though, but I'm there day 1.

In Rushy we trust.

Well, I happen to have a GTX 1080 SLI PC, lol, but no. On Xbox One I think it looks better than DC as well.

And I think if Evolution was to make DC2 a completely open world racer like FH3, you'd probably find that's not the case.

I think if PlayGround Games was to make a racer in the vein of DC.. they could do much better even still.

But regardless, both games look great. I don't want to dog on Driveclub. I just think it's been surpassed.

Tripolygon

Banned
Even on a 1080 GTX rig, this timelapse FH3 video demonstrates the flaws of a handcrafted sky as opposed of DC's volumetric solution:

The stutering, texture swaps and overall flatness are problems absent from DC's more natural skyboxes.

The good part is that at normal play speed this is impossible to notice on FH3. Hence the game's praise for it's sky. Which is deserved despite the trickery going on.
This is supposed to be better than
GVC3T5x.gif

This?
WLuoFwM.gif

Ouch. It looks incredible, but the movement is completely off. And yes I know that it's sped up.

Top Bottom