• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

ShapeGSX

1475682443-driveclub-tm-20150919225328.jpg

Arthur, Arthur...

Sun is 2km from earth there?

I think that if you draw lines up from those god rays, the sun would actually be inside the clouds.

While playing FH3 and DC the biggest difference is that FH3 can be easily identified as a game. The color Palette, the lightning... Its very easy to see. Driveclub on the other hand looks often very close to real life. The lightning, the weather is just so much better.

I know that the IQ is worse, but only DC is able to give me that wow effect.

I play FH3 in 4k on pc, and the IQ, the atmosphere and the soundtrack are really good. But its definitely not the best looking game in my opinion.

Well said. I wonder if Codemasters is letting the Evolution guys do or redo their graphics engine.

thelastword

Banned
No, it's showing the wake behind the car as it drives through water.

Here's another showing deformation.
screenshot-originala6s4m.png
Well, since you placed that shot under the IQ comment I thought you were using that to show That DC's IQ never got improved or it's bad compared to FH3. As I've said there are pics of FH3 and even FH2 with visible Jaggies on the cars, yet DC never claimed to be using 4xMSAA. There are also pics showing serious AF issues in the Horizon titles as well.

As for deformation, I spoke of deformation in the sand and some static looking pools by the beachside. The video shows how the game looks and plays in realtime. Any deformation in the sand is quickly corrected after the hummer comes to a standstill when the camera loops. I never mentioned water deformation but instead spoke on splashes from water puddles. In any case, it's much easier to mimick water deformation because after you leave the water, it just goes back to being calm or lacking detail from a distance.

Perhaps what you could do is to post a video showing FH3 behaving differently from the video I posted in water sources.

That's one hell of a swerve.

Not a swerve, I thought he was using that pic to indicate that DC has IQ issues compared to FH3. In any case, he said that DC's IQ never improved from launch, but even now I don't see the terrible IQ that people speak of when they mention DC. I don't think that's so hard to grasp, but I digress. DC has AF, sometimes it's questionable that Horizon has any. DC has nice AA coverage, clean power lines, you hardly see jaggies on cars, detail can be resolved easily and clearly with it's huge draw distance. I don't think FH3 wins the IQ debate as some people say..

Also a question......?

Is the AF here so bad?

1467362517-driveclub-tm-20160311122236.png
[/IMG]

Looks solid enough to me...

Yiazmat

Not a swerve, I thought he was using that pic to indicate that DC has IQ issues compared to FH3. In any case, he said that DC's IQ never improved from launch, but even now I don't see the terrible IQ that people speak of when they mention DC. I don't think that's so hard to grasp, but I digress. DC has AF, sometimes it's questionable that Horizon has any. DC has nice AA coverage, clean power lines, you hardly see jaggies on cars, detail can be resolved easily and clearly with it's huge draw distance. I don't think FH3 wins the IQ debate as some people say..

Also a question......?

Is the AF here so bad?

Looks solid enough to me...

What about here on an actual gameplay shot?

driveclub_201511080143iy8j.png

Yeah in terms of IQ, FH3 absolutely shits on DC. With that said, I'd say Driveclub is a technically better looking game than FH3 in almost everything else.

Noobcraft

A PS4 Pro with Driveclub upscaled to 4k to your TV would look fantastic. Any chances you are acquiring one and sharing shots?
I think he's running it natively at 4K via PC plugged in to his TV. Upscaling Driveclub may soften the image some, but ultimately it wouldn't fix the image quality.

Gaenor

Banned
That thelastword guy is on a whole other level. Good thing I didn't bother replying to him a couple of pages ago !!

LostDonkey

I'm on the side of FH3 here. Except the water effect on the windscreen, I think it looks better than DC in every way. The clouds in FH3 are in another level as is the lighting and texture work.

It's an incredible looking game all of the time vs a great looking game in certain conditions.

Unreal

Try it yourself:
Thanks for this, and I did.

And yeah, that is a perfect storm of bad conditions. The time of day on that course does not look great in sunny weather, and you get all that noise on the car because its actually in the midst of light precipitation, and has that wet-just-after-the-rain-stopped look going on, which looks great at other angles.

I never saw this kind of thing because I always drive in cockpit view, and don't do drift events, so skipped that particular event on the tour.

So yeah, its accurate, and ugly, but nowhere near representative.

Sky87

DriveClub looks phenomenal during weather, but on some maps with no weather (as can be seen above) it really looks bland and unimpressive. Overall, FH3 takes the IQ crown for me personally, after playing FH3 on both PC and XB1 and DriveClub. It's just much cleaner when there's minimal aliasing in the picture.

1475682443-driveclub-tm-20150919225328.jpg

Arthur, Arthur...

Sun is 2km from earth there?
I don't get your point here?
Isn't characteristic of crepuscolar rays to seems to be originated from the point in the sky there the sun is and to not look like being parallel?
Except from definition/detail, what's that different in that shot from this:
5434362635_597583066f_z.jpg

or these:
Brilliant-God-Ray-Sunset.jpg

6435998327_c199426c3a_z.jpg

PS: I don't speak a good english, so I wold like to clarify that this is a real question not a snarky remark or something like that

Everytime when somebody want to claim DC superiority he shows some screen with weather effect (rain in particular) lol (though rain in DC indeed looks spectacular (they definitely nailed the lighting and water on the road)

dr guildo

Everytime when somebody want to claim DC superiority he shows some screen with weather effect (rain in particular) lol (though rain in DC indeed looks spectacular (they definitely nailed the lighting and water on the road)

Even if it's indeed true, DC has dry moments as great as rainy ones

Here are shots from the official photomode thread of the game, with courtesy of Benzy :

deiyrx.jpg

onyxch.jpg

uxxygi.jpg

gsvgvu.jpg

zjrzln.jpg

irvpto.jpg

xnkuyf.jpg

awyxlw.jpg

MilkyJoe

I don't get your point here?
Isn't characteristic of crepuscolar rays to seems to be originated from the point in the sky there the sun is and to not look like being parallel?
Except from definition/detail, what's that different in that shot from this:
5434362635_597583066f_z.jpg

or these:
Brilliant-God-Ray-Sunset.jpg

6435998327_c199426c3a_z.jpg

PS: I don't speak a good english, so I wold like to clarify that this is a real question not a snarky remark or something like that

Dude if you have to ask then you'll never know.

dr guildo

You can see the textures morph and swap, its kind of off putting. Looks good while driving but when you stand still, you see the limitations.

Agreed !
The first part of the video is mesmerizing, the rest is a bit messy.

Less convincing than DC, overall.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Damn those forza skies are amazing, best I've ever seen by miles. Hope that whatever they're doing makes it into other games.

shandy706

None of the screenshots here of DC look good on a 4k screen. FH3 looks incredible at 4k.

If the game got a full makeover (erasing the muddy/clay looking textures and LOD), now that would be incredible.

Quit looking at the quoted size shots or at this stuff on a phone, LOL

This for example...

..looks like a jagged blurry textured mess on my 1080p screen and down right atrocious on my 4k TV.

None of the screenshots here of DC look good on a 4k screen. FH3 looks incredible at 4k.

Shandy you have to be joking. You are playing one game on PC with a shit load more powerful hardware which is outputting a native 4k resolution whilst you are looking at images captured on a PS4 outputting 1080p. You seriously have to be having a laugh because that statement above in any other context sounds idiotic.

ShapeGSX

Those look ok. A little flat, though. What's with the vertical line cutting off the tree in the middle on the picture on the left? Looks like a rendering bug.

Too bad you can't drive over that stuff. Look but don't touch! :p Put a danger sign ramp where the black banner is on the photo on the right and you have a perfect launch point for some real fun!

Wheeee!

DD

The definitive improvement Forza and Driveclub need is a decent career mode. They both suck, but look gorgeous.

Jagged mess.
It's been said a thousand times in this thread that Driveclub uses temporal AA, and don't look that jagged when things are moving.

Top Bottom