• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

shandy706

Shandy you have to be joking. You are playing one game on PC with a shit load more powerful hardware which is outputting a native 4k resolution whilst you are looking at images captured on a PS4 outputting 1080p. You seriously have to be having a laugh because that statement above in any other context sounds idiotic.

This is a graphics thread isn't it :p

Race cars... racing = special conditions.

K

Anyway I can't see DC's superiority over FH3 (except "racing during rain").

Though slightly adjusting lighting might bring FH3 close to DC. And it would be pretty even in static
J1CHCZH.gif

Tripolygon

Banned
And suddenly there is no "generation" gap in graphics like some people claims lol Magic dissapears
Yea, I don't know what that means. But I believe you said DC only looks good in the rain.
Those look ok. A little flat, though. What's with the vertical line cutting off the tree in the middle on the picture on the left? Looks like a rendering bug.
It's not a bug, I took that screen a while ago. It's a power line

c0de

Looks like a tree trunk to me, but it also could be maybe a limitation of the sprite they used for the vegetations showing.

It is clearly nothing natural with how it's looking. But things like these can be found in every game if you start searching, of course.

DD

That's a clipping. These are rotating 2D foliage, so this kind of stuff happens when devs use this technique.

John Wick

I'm on the side of FH3 here. Except the water effect on the windscreen, I think it looks better than DC in every way. The clouds in FH3 are in another level as is the lighting and texture work.

It's an incredible looking game all of the time vs a great looking game in certain conditions.

It isn't an incredible looking game all the time at all. There are plenty of times it looks bland like when on the beach or lake sections.

AZ Greg

I just can't take the Forza games seriously in this sort of discussion until they do something about the lighting/shaders. As much as I hate the moniker, "Cartoonza" still applies.

cooldawn

It's a bad example of F6...

Might as well compare DC to GT Sport. 60fps sims will never hold up to 30fps games.

That's why DC and Horizon 3 look much better.
OK, care to provide a good comparison to the DriveClub GIF from Forza Motorsport 6 or would you prefer we downsell to Gran Turismo 5?

Funnily enough I bet we will be able to compare DriveClub to Gran Turismo Sport when the time comes too since Gran Turismo is well known for being visually accomplished.

LostDonkey

It isn't an incredible looking game all the time at all. There are plenty of times it looks bland like when on the beach or lake sections.

Totally disagree with you there. I think it looks incredible at all times. It's the best looking racer out at the moment.

thelastword

Banned
I mean Horizon 3 has some pretty obvious compromises. At least these screens are good quality PNG screens.

Screenshot-Original.png

Some texture issues...

1474564115-screenshot-original-6.png

You really can't resolve much detail in the distance, lots look very flat.

screenshot-originalltue0.png
Lots of flat looking textures in the distance.
1475338914-screenshot-original-1.png

1475338895-screenshot-original.png

Then we have this...much is dynamic in this game based on proximity, but then lots remain at low quality even though it's quite visible, so we can chalk that to hardware limitations.

1475511816-screenshot-original.png

1475511824-screenshot-original-3.png

1475511830-screenshot-original-1.png

1475511835-screenshot-original-2.png

I can't find the shots with the visible jaggies on the car's bonnet/fender right now, hence why I questioned Horizon's 4xMSAA as static because it looks very clean at times, but just as detail on cars environments lower their quality, so does the AA. You can clearly see lower detail as you approach water sources before you engage them, so dynamic detail is pretty much how Horizon is doing their visuals and there's nothing wrong with that, but with how consistent you see detail drop and other visible compromises means that they could not maintain a high level of detail as DC does....As I've highlighted before, you can resolve highly detailed objects and external details (houses, mountains, Satellite dishes and other details way into the distance) in DC, but lots become very flat or untextured details in FH3 on approach.

I think people don't see many of these compromises readily in Forza screens because most of the FH3 screens are close up Photomode Shots with improved IQ, however, you can still pinpoint lack of detail in the distance on cars if you care to look.

In any case. Iv'e read many comments suggesting that DC only looks good in weather. This is so far from the truth, I was blown away by DC way before weather ever entered the picture. Even India which people consider the ugliest track/stage really comes together with superb lighting and I'll have people know that India don't look as lush and bright as Australia in reality.

Tbh, I think the biggest takeaway is that some people prefer the brighter colourful locales of Horizon. DC's tracks really have a different tone to them, slightly darker, more oppressive especially with weather, but looking at pure graphics and disassociating yourself from which locales you prefer, DC's visuals brings a level of realism and quality in motion that is simply unsurpassed. In motion the superior lighting, superior detail on tracks, cars and misc effects/details like debris, weather, wipers puts DC a good deal ahead of the competiton......

Anyway, here's DC without any weather......there are more high quality vids/gifs I can post of the title without weather, and it's still unsurpassed there.

2532697-5757596279-qqlcy.gif

ilX7INB54QSsI.gif

2674808-0168812831-sdgva.gif

Aceofspades

Banned
I noticed that Forza fans always resort to photomode pics to show Forza superiority..while DC fans resort to videos and gifs.

One method is clearly shows more confidence :)

I just got the XBone + FH3. The game is absolutely delicious to play, but there's simply no way to compare the games, DC is on another level. Both games have their strengths and weaknesses but graphically DC takes the crown without question.

/posts a bunch of FH3 ultra zoomed in high resolution .PNGs pointing out obvious hardware limited phenomena

/posts 200X200 px DC .gifs as comparative media

Do I need to point out how silly this comes across? Maybe I do.

HTupolev

In any case. Iv'e read many comments suggesting that DC only looks good in weather. This is so far from the truth
It's a statement with a very large amount of truth to it. The thing about DC is that the shadow draw distance is low, and not even just for small objects. Sweeping views in sunny weather just plain look flat and overly bright.

Aceofspades

Banned
There are a shitload of Forza gifs and non-photomode images in this thread. Maybe you've missed them?

Yeah I have seen some, but I'm talking about the majority of comparisons made by each side.

Also I have seen both games in person, to be frank I will give FH3 the edge on IQ but everything else goes to Driveclub, the lightning, the car models, dynamic weather, sense of speed...etc are way better in DC that anything out right now.

Evo done a miracle with this game and its a huge loss to Sony closing this studio :/

Bliman

Banned
What is the criteria to be the most beautiful race game?
Is it the one with the most realistic graphics or the one who goes for atmosphere and art direction?
Both Forza Horizon 3 and DriveClub are incredible.
But it all depends on what you judge and both can be extremely good but also bad depending at what you look at.
For me Forza Horizon 3 is the prettier game but Driveclub can be more impressive at moments.
But if you don't put any criteria it's always going to be personal.

What is the criteria to be the most beautiful race game?
Is it the one with the most realistic graphics or the one who goes for atmosphere and art direction?
Both Forza Horizon 3 and DriveClub are incredible.
But it all depends on what you judge and both can be extremely good but also bad depending at what you look at.
For me Forza Horizon 3 is the prettier game but Driveclub can be more impressive at moments.
But if you don't put any criteria it's always going to be personal.
I think this thread tends to lean towards tech over art. I agree that FH3 is prettier than DC, but DC looks more realistic and has more impressive technology.

In my opinion DC still pulls the realistic look off much better.
DC graphics still are more impressive to me.
But when its about which game is more beautiful I gotta give it to FH3 stylized look. Especially in person because FH3 doesn't suffer from bad IQ like DC.

/posts a bunch of FH3 ultra zoomed in high resolution .PNGs pointing out obvious hardware limited phenomena

/posts 200X200 px DC .gifs as comparative media

Do I need to point out how silly this comes across? Maybe I do.

There pictures and gifs aren't meant to be compared tho.
The gifs should show weater, which obviously is better shown in gifs than pictures. They werent meant to be compared to the pictures of low poligon FH3 headlights, that would have been silly indeed.

VanWinkle

I have recently spent some time with both FH3 and DC, the latter of which I hadn't played in a long time.

FH3 is a beautiful game. Extremely vibrant, great image quality, gorgeous lighting, and an exciting open world location. It eschews realistic lighting for vibrancy, which is neither a positive nor negative. But what it does is create a stark divide between it and DC in art style. FH3 has very few noticeable compromises until you start digging hard.

DC is incredible looking very often. As a technical product, it's a big step up from FH3 in a lot of ways. The lighting is certainly nicer, though its realistic look can make it less striking than FH3. Driving in the rain on the game literally looks a generation ahead of every other racing game out there. However, DC is full of compromises. Image quality is the biggest area. There is a CLEAR difference between the two games in this area. Motion blur also isn't great, it uses a simple gaussian blur DoF when not in photo mode, and texture/scenery - while oftentimes INCREDIBLE looking - is simply inconsistent.

I will say that DC is a better looking game, that absolutely wows me more often while playing (it still did when I played it again after a good year without it) but it accomplished that by compromising IQ and certain effects. To me, IQ is a huge factor, so it's disappointing. It's very fortunate that the AA solutions DC uses DOES make it a lot more bearable while in motion.

Just aesthetically. And yes, vibrancy is a small part of it. It's a completely subjective opinion.
Gotcha.

Right there with ya.

And when it comes to comparing Horizon 3 and DC I think they both rule the roost in presentation for their type of game, open world and track based.

My jaw hit the floor when the sun light hit the windshield revealing the dirt on it. I was literally on another planet lol.

Edit:
This video of DC, even though it's 720p and compressed, is phenomenal. The sound of that Renault ... In all my years of playing racing games, I don't think I've heard another car that sounds that amazing.

Sebmugi

Edit:
This video of DC, even though it's 720p and compressed, is phenomenal. The sound of that Renault ... In all my years of playing racing games, I don't think I've heard another car that sounds that amazing.

superb video

DC camera at floor + rain = powerful happiness <3

all this cherry picking of good and bad screens/photomode shots is silly. gamersyde.com has tons of videos of driveclub and the pc and xbone versions of FH 3. easiest way to judge them.

Afrikan

One of the first weather gif of DC that blew minds.
PxWW79R.gif

for the life of me I couldn't find this gif in working form yesterday.

but when people mention "skyboxes" in this thread talking about these games.... I remember someone saying, years back, that Driveclub doesn't really have a "skybox" or at least in traditional form.

Which is what made the game so impressive...............for its time. ;)

Delusion in this thread so strong. I mean fh3 is a great looking game but we're comparing to driveclub so.... I mean come on really. DC is still on another level plus it benefits from not being open world's. Atm it's still no contest. The art and shading of DC let alone being on the clearly more powerful console... It's clearly the better looking game. Only when Gt comes out or a Scorpio game comes will it have real competition here.

This comparison writes itself honestly it's exactly what you'd expect across the two consoles.

Top Bottom