• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

c0de

There are some on here with certain allegiances and agenda's.

I don't see anyone who has not.

It's a known fact and has been repeated many times don't expect current gen graphics on VR systems.

Why is that, though? What should we expect? There are people who get laughed at when they say it looks like a PS3 game. So what is it now? Looking like a current gen game or a PS3 game?

Especially when framerate is king.

In this case, it is not king but mandatory. This is why comparing 30fps games to 60fps is always off but comparisons still happened in this thread.

TBiddy

There are some on here with certain allegiances and agenda's. It's a known fact and has been repeated many times don't expect current gen graphics on VR systems. Especially when framerate is king.

Indeed there is. Not you, though. You're like the archetype of unbias! Especially posts like this, that really screams "I have no bias towards either console":

After Driveclub weather all other games weather looks amatuer in comparison. That picture is horrible

In all seriousness. Driveclub VR looks horrible. At least on the footage shown. It looks like a PS3 game. I'm not sure how much extra is going on, but if you compare it to FM5 or FM6, it's obvious that there's a large difference in how it looks.

Synth

Indeed there is. Not like you, though. You're like the archetype of unbias! Especially posts like this, that really screams "I have no bias towards either console":

lol

EDIT: Just want to add, that I never expected VR games to look comparable to non-VR incarnations. Obviously splitting the rendering into two viewpoints and doubling the framerate isn't magically gonna happen without serious compromises. I'm commenting only on how it looks, not how I expected it to look.

Sebmugi

I do not know if you saw that, but there will be a little update of "DC" on "pro ps4" !!!!!

: ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Paul Rustchynsky
‏@Rushy33

@tfutter87 We haven't harnessed the full power of the PS4 Pro, but there will be a few more visual details enabled.

Sebmugi

oh oups yes, I was so glad that I have not read everything correctly.
sry my bad .... :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

;)

Lack of resources and/or time, I'd say.
That didn't seem to be a problem when i came to patching the new tracks into DC regular and how much resource can it really take?

I don't think they are going to patch it, though. Potentially the patch is already done and will arrive when the ps4p arrives.
That would make no sense. Sony how can you patch one version of the game and leave out the other?

Noobcraft

That would make no sense. Sony how can you patch one version of the game and leave out the other?
One has a totally different rendering pipeline than the other, one has a totally different sales outlook than the other, and one has a mandate to release the pro patch while the other doesn't. It doesn't mean it can't happen, but original Driveclub getting a pro patch probably won't happen if Rushy's tweet about it is to be believed.

Synth

Because Driveclub and Driveclub VR aren't the same product. So you would need to create two unique patches for each one. For DCVR, this is probably seen as being worthwhile, as the game will still be within a window where it's likely not already sold to the entire audience that would have an interest in buying it, and it could very well help with the word of mouth surrounding the graphics (much like showing PC versions of something like FH3, the best graphics version becomes the default impression of the game). The original Driveclub likely wouldn't see an business benefits from a new patch, and it'd simply just make pictures posted in places like here a bit prettier (if even that, considering we'd still likely just be looking at photomode shots 99% of the time).

One has a totally different rendering pipeline than the other, one has a totally different sales outlook than the other, and one has a mandate to release the pro patch while the other doesn't. It doesn't mean it can't happen, but original Driveclub getting a pro patch probably won't happen if Rushy's tweet about it is to be believed.

Because Driveclub and Driveclub VR aren't the same product. So you would need to create two unique patches for each one. For DCVR, this is probably seen as being worthwhile, as the game will still be within a window where it's likely not already sold to the entire audience that would have an interest in buying it, and it could very well help with the word of mouth surrounding the graphics (much like showing PC versions of something like FH3, the best graphics version becomes the default impression of the game). The original Driveclub likely wouldn't see an business benefits from a new patch, and it'd simply just make pictures posted in places like here a bit prettier (if even that, considering we'd still likely just be looking at photomode shots 99% of the time).
If they didn't consider DC regular worthwhile, then they would not have patch the new tracks found in DC VR into DC regular for free. They know majority of DC VR sales will come from existing DC regular owners. Besides, they have stated that they're listening to DC fans and ppl have been tweeting them to patch DC regular.

Synth

If they didn't consider DC regular worthwhile, then they would not have patch the new tracks found in DC VR into DC regular for free. They know majority of DC VR sales will come from existing DC regular owners. Besides, they have stated that they're listening to DC fans and ppl have been tweeting them to patch DC regular.

We don't know that these tracks weren't originally intended for DC in the first place, and that the DCVR versions aren't the ports. Yes, DCVR sales will heavily overlap with DC owners... but they're still sales for DCVR and DC owners are already owners.

Plus, supposedly the must offer a Pro mode for DCVR due to it's launch period. Who's to say they would bother if it were to have been released prior to the mandated patch window?

The point is, the answer to your question is that nothing stop them patch DC, like nothing stops them patching any other game. It's a matter if they feel its worth doing or not, like every other game they've published on the console.

We don't know that these tracks weren't originally intended for DC in the first place, and that the DCVR versions aren't the ports. Yes, DCVR sales will heavily overlap with DC owners... but they're still sales for DCVR and DC owners are already owners.

Plus, supposedly the must offer a Pro mode for DCVR due to it's launch period. Who's to say they would bother if it were to have been released prior to the mandated patch window?

The point is, the answer to your question is that nothing stop them patch DC, like nothing stops them patching any other game. It's a matter if they feel its worth doing or not, like every other game they've published on the console.

If they can go as far back patching games like Infamous SS and Shadow of Mordor then why not Driveclub? I'm pretty sure those games aren't going to garner any more sales because of the patch. Anyways, Let them patch or not patch it. DC already is the best looking racer to me and it could've been a very good show piece of what the Ps4 pro is capable of. Oh well...

Synth

If they can go as far back patching games like Infamous SS and Shadow of Mordor then why not Driveclub? I'm pretty sure those games aren't going to garner any more sales because of the patch. Anyways, Let them patch or not patch it. DC already is the best looking racer to me and it could've been a very good show piece of what the Ps4 pro is capable of. Oh well...

Well, Shadow of Mordor isn't Sony, so that's kinda irrelevant. If Shadow of Mordor can get a ptach then why not Assassin's Creed Unity, or any other game for that matter? Obviously different publishers will make different decisions, and there are a ton of factors that could be influencing that. In the case of Infamous SS for example, what are Sucker Punch currently up to? Are some of their development team effectively twiddling their thumbs waiting for production of their next game to ramp up, so this is actually one of the more efficient uses of their time?

Sony doesn't have Evolution anymore, so continued Driveclub development isn't as straight forward as it may otherwise have been. If there's a small team working on Driveclub VR's patch right now, then they're probably not available to do the same for regular DC until after.. and by then there may be something more beneficial they could be doing instead, etc. It's not as simple as they're doing X so why aren't they doing Y as well.

Well, Shadow of Mordor isn't Sony, so that's kinda irrelevant. If Shadow of Mordor can get a ptach then why not Assassin's Creed Unity, or any other game for that matter? Obviously different publishers will make different decisions, and there are a ton of factors that could be influencing that. In the case of Infamous SS for example, what are Sucker Punch currently up to? Are some of their development team effectively twiddling their thumbs waiting for production of their next game to ramp up, so this is actually one of the more efficient uses of their time?

Sony doesn't have Evolution anymore, so continued Driveclub development isn't as straight forward as it may otherwise have been. If there's a small team working on Driveclub VR's patch right now, then they're probably not available to do the same for regular DC until after.. and by then there may be something more beneficial they could be doing instead, etc. It's not as simple as they're doing X so why aren't they doing Y as well.

Rushy said they can do it. Sony just just hasn't asked them. So it's not a matter of Evolution being closed. Didn't DC VR continue development even after Evo was closed?

Synth

Rushy said they can do it. Sony just just hasn't asked them. So it's not a matter of Evolution being closed. Didn't DC VR continue development even after Evo was closed?

What I meant by that, is that if Evo was still part of Sony, then it could be a similar case to (my assumed) ISS scenario where it's simply be the most efficient use of their resources. In this case though, Sony would basically be contracting people from Codemasters to work on it, which again may be deemed worthwhile (or even necessary, due to the Pro patch mandate) for DCVR, but not for the original.

It's not that there's anything actually preventing it from happening, rather unlike DCVR there's likely just not factors causing it to happen.

c0de

AFAIR DCVR was the last for them to do before they got closed.
To your initial reply to my post, everything was already explained by other users.

c0de

Rusty has already confirmed on twitter that they are doing a PS4 Pro enhancement to DC VR.

No, he says "We haven't harnessed the full power of the PS4 Pro, but there will be a few more visual details enabled." This could mean they are already done with it. I don't see anything that tells us that they are currently working on it.

dr guildo

Thought this looked amazing.

PZdITg8.png

Completely agreed, this one is photorealistic. I looked twice to figure out it was the game. You are welcome to provide more in this trend.
I think lighting and pbs/r are the most significant advancement that this gen has to bring.

etta

my hard graphic balls
There are some on here with certain allegiances and agenda's. It's a known fact and has been repeated many times don't expect current gen graphics on VR systems. Especially when framerate is king.
Uh huh, framerate king you say, so why is FM6 brought into the comparison arguments then?
"Guys leave DCVR alone! It's running on a weaker system and targetting 60fps! No fair!"
:lol

Synth

as people pretend it to be...

I mean... feel free to disagree and all, but I'm not "pretending" to have an opinion.

I should add that I don't actually think it does look all that bad. My claim was that it does look like a version of the game that could have existed on a previous generation console. There are plenty of 360 and PS3 games that I think still look pretty decent today. Specifically stuff like Forza Horizon 1, all Motorstorms and PGR4.

dr guildo

I mean... feel free to disagree and all, but I'm not "pretending" to have an opinion.

I should add that I don't actually think it does look all that bad. My claim was that it does look like a version of the game that could have existed on a previous generation console. There are plenty of 360 and PS3 games that I think still look pretty decent today. Specifically stuff like Forza Horizon 1, all Motostorms and PGR4.

I wasn't especially targeting you, Synth, I was in my head, referring to the DC Vr review thread which is on fire about that, nothing more. But I agree with you, you are completely free to disagree.

Synth

I wasn't especially targeting you, Synth, I was in my head, referring to the DC Vr review thread which is on fire about that, nothing more. But I agree with you, you are completely free to disagree.

Well, I don't think those people are pretending either. They're mostly just underestimating what's required to hit the targets necessary for VR. In general this forum has a tendency to view things from a pretty narrow perspective, disregarding variables that factor into how different games look. Whether that be the power of the console, the target framerate, the scope/scale, etc... everyone just gets used to looking at the result picture (often popped out of a photomode) contrasting it directly to something else, and then deeming the other a pile of shit. DCVR is just the latest game to encounter this.

Sebmugi

high exposure to the taillights full braking ;)

for first shoot in front is the LED steering wheel which reflects the reddish hue on the rest of the car ^^

Gestault

That looks great considering what I played of that little shark demo. I'd be more than happy with that.

The motion sickness thing coming up in the reviews makes me nervous, but the soft IQ (so long as it looks soft and not pixelish) would be less noticeable in play than in screens. Games like Battlezone and Eve seemed reasonably clear from what I've played, so if it's on par with those, that's gonna feel solid in person.

I've heard some people say the trees are distracting in 3D because the sprites have even fewer effects on them, and are particularly obvious panel sections that follow you as you approach, but that would be harder to judge in 2D.

Considering the original performance target and what they had to do getting it to VR performance, it's looks ok.

Well, I don't think those people are pretending either. They're mostly just underestimating what's required to hit the targets necessary for VR. In general this forum has a tendency to view things from a pretty narrow perspective, disregarding variables that factor into how different games look. Whether that be the power of the console, the target framerate, the scope/scale, etc... everyone just gets used to looking at the result picture (often popped out of a photomode) contrasting it directly to something else, and then deeming the other a pile of shit. DCVR is just the latest game to encounter this.

But most ppl on here put DC VR h2h against Forza as if it was a like for like comparison. It's as if this ppl where hoping DC VR some how turns out looking horrible for what ever reasons.

shandy706

So I drove the Drone around in a session while all the cars drove around last night...I took like 150 environmental photos. Tempted to dump a bunch here (not all 150, LOL).

Not a single shot from photomode, took them all during gameplay. Was fun touring the whole map for a couple hours.

Synth

But most ppl on here put DC VR h2h against Forza as if it was a like for like comparison. It's as if this ppl where hoping DC VR some how turns out looking horrible for what ever reasons.

That's kinda on me, as I remarked "maybe Turn 10 can catch less shit now".

The reason I said that was for the same reasons though. These variables have applied to basically every single game in this thread, but by and large nobody has cared as they've been comparing and contrasting them against each other, as though the all have the same targets, requirements and resources. Instead, the credit (or lack of) is applied entirely to each studio, as though they were all developing against the same criteria. Turn 10 specifically has been catching the most heat over the course of this thread, despite their dedication to delivering a completely locked 60fps posing much of the same restrictions that would later be encountered for VR development. But photomode shots are put up photomode shots, 30fps YouTube (or worse, gif) comparison footage of weather are used as if the situation is like for like. I've brought this up previously and was told that framerate doesn't count as graphics, so it's fair game. Switch the situation around, and suddenly Driveclub VR shouldn't even be a part of this thread because of obvious disadvantages it has to deal with.

On of the more amusing contradictions I've noticed in this thread, has been how frequently the term "generational difference" has been thrown around to describe even stuff like FM6, with its weather and puddles. Now you have Driveclub VR, stripped of even the simpler implementations, and suggesting it looks in any way last gen, indicates that "you aren't capable of rational thought".

That's kinda on me, as I remarked "maybe Turn 10 can catch less shit now".

The reason I said that was for the same reasons though. These variables have applied to basically every single game in this thread, but by and large nobody has cared as they've been comparing and contrasting them against each other, as though the all have the same targets, requirements and resources. Instead, the credit (or lack of) is applied entirely to each studio, as though they were all developing against the same criteria. Turn 10 specifically has been catching the most heat over the course of this thread, despite their dedication to delivering a completely locked 60fps posing much of the same restrictions that would later be encountered for VR development. But photomode shots are put up photomode shots, 30fps YouTube (or worse, gif) comparison footage of weather are used as if the situation is like for like. I've brought this up previously and was told that framerate doesn't count as graphics, so it's fair game. Switch the situation around, and suddenly Driveclub VR shouldn't even be a part of this thread because of obvious disadvantages it has to deal with.

So in other words you are saying that you and the others where hoping DC VR or any other racing game that targets 60fps comes out looking horrible so that Turn 10 can catch less flag?

Jamesways

So I drove the Drone around in a session while all the cars drove around last night...I took like 150 environmental photos. Tempted to dump a bunch here (not all 150, LOL).

Not a single shot from photomode, took them all during gameplay. Was fun touring the whole map for a couple hours.
Please share Shandy, love your shots and gifs.

Synth

So in other words you are saying that you and the others where hoping DC VR or any other racing game that targets 60fps comes out looking horrible so that Turn 10 can catch less flag?

Not hoping, no. I'm looking to buy DCVR, and the only reason I don't have it currently is because an unexpected house move ate my PSVR money. :(

I would hope that there would be less ignoring what other teams achieve however, and not simply write them off as being inconsequential.

Top Bottom