• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Just for a change, here's a Driveclub shot. Probably the best I've ever taken in DC. Last gen filter + high exposure makes a big difference.

IWXrjUO.jpg

I know this is minor but i vastly prefer the way FH3 handles LED day time running lights on their cars than Driveclub. For instance these two images of the M4 and Corvette(Both compressesd)
15727514604_ab88f2b0c6_o.jpg

19239664849_ec659b304f_o.jpg

Some of my old DC shots

16911851911_5da4ee0eef_o.jpg

17479909610_615011705e_o.jpg

17042771150_3edf5529aa_o.jpg

c0de

I'm expecting GT:S to take less of a hit, because the game is already targeting 60fps.

I'm not entirely sure how much of a hit the split views of VR incur (similarly, I'm not sure how much more difficult split screen is for a standard game), but the effective resolution would be the same (a full 1080p at 60fps). Driveclub VR is a different matter because it previously had double the window to render each frame.

But didn't Evo once say they also targeted 60fps? Yeah, we shouldn't go there, the game was never going to hit that.

Synth

But didn't Evo once say they also targeted 60fps? Yeah, we shouldn't go there, the game was never going to hit that.

Yea, but the game looked vastly different back then. Many of the impressions from journalists seeing it at events were that it was rough visually, with many citing that Forza Motorsport 5 looked better (which seems crazy now, lol). You can probably remember all the comparisons that were happening with the reveal trailer at the time, with people claiming we had another PS3 MotorStorm reveal on our hands.

Graphically it became a completely different game once they dropped the idea of hitting 60fps.

le-seb

Graphically it became a completely different game once they dropped the idea of hitting 60fps.
Define "completely different", because the game already featured dynamic lighting and time of day when it was presented for the first time at E3 '13.
If anything, it looks like they mostly worked on aliasing and texture popup issues, possibly also changed the way they render vegetation, but what they showed then doesn't look much different than what they delivered.

Synth

Define "completely different", because the game already featured dynamic lighting and time of day when it was presented for the first time at E3 '13.
If anything, it looks like they mostly worked on aliasing and texture popup issues, possibly also changed the way they render vegetation, but what they showed then doesn't look much different than what they delivered.

Yea, the aliasing and pop-in were the primary things that were cited as harming the game visually. Also, the entire weather system (which is arguably Driveclub's strongest graphical element) didn't exist back then.

le-seb

Also, the entire weather system (which is arguably Driveclub's strongest graphical element) didn't exist back then.
Except that they discussed about it right after E3, and it's been shown in action during GC 2013, IIRC.
Months before they decided to restrict the game to 30 fps, that is.

We sure wouldn't have got those awesome precipitations had they decided to go the 60 fps route, but you make it sound like the game's graphics have radically changed once they decided to make it 30 fps.

I really cannot see any evidence supporting this stance, and I sure would like to know how this game is running uncapped, because running at a smooth 30 fps despite all the shit they bring to the screen during a storm certainly means it can sustain near 60 fps in normal conditions.

Latimer

Banned
I sure would like to know how this game is running uncapped, because running at a smooth 30 fps despite all the shit they bring to the screen during a storm certainly means it can sustain near 60 fps in normal conditions.

On those Jaguars? Not so sure.

Synth

Except that they discussed about it right after E3, and it's been shown in action during GC 2013, IIRC.
Months before they decided to restrict the game to 30 fps, that is.

We sure wouldn't have got those awesome precipitations had they decided to go the 60 fps route, but you make it sound like the game's graphics have radically changed once they decided to make it 30 fps.

I really cannot see any evidence supporting this stance, and I sure would like to know how this game is running uncapped, because running at a smooth 30 fps despite all the shit they bring to the screen during a storm certainly means it can sustain near 60 fps in normal conditions.

That was directly after E3 2014 actually, around the same period as Forza Horizon 2 was revealed. You can look back at this very thread for verification. Project Cars was considered a strong contender for the graphical crown at the time because it had fancy weather, where Driveclub didn't. Funnily enough, many people in the Driveclub camp were against the use of PC's weather in comparisons, because they weren't "like for like".

Synth

And you can have a look at this article from The Guardian or this video comparing weather, both from summer 2013.

Precipitations were added later, but the dynamic weather system foundations were there from the start.

Ah sorry, I didn't read your previous post properly. Yea wet weather was what I was referring to when I said "weather system", not more general weather/ToD stuff.

And yea, to be honest I do consider them, along with the other enhancements to be radical change for the game's graphics.

cooldawn

Yes, these bad devs at turn 10, can't even do what ps3 did, failing to deliver up-to-date graphics like always and need a super computer to be able to do what others did years before.
Show me? Convince me Turn 10 are in the running compared to other racing games from PlayGround Games, PolyPhony Digital Inc and Evolution Studio's.

I simply haven't seen it.

This thread is really something...
Not too sure what this means. It's a visual face-off thread where I've stated what I think. You'd much prefer triviality than game-changing dynamic visual appeal?! Forza Motorsport is right for you.

I don't know what Turn 10 need but they certainly haven't displayed any desire to make their experience dynamic. It needs to happen in this generation. There's no excuse for it not to happen in this generation, unless that's not what they want to achieve, which sounds ludicrous.

I remember in an interview Dan Greenwalt stated a dynamic Forza would require lots of work. IIRC that was prior to Forza Motorsport 4, maybe even Forza Motorsport 3, yet people were more than ready to give Kaz a load of stick for Gran Turismo 5 taking so long. Retrospectively I think we can better understand why. Historically it seems Turn 10's ambition isn't at the same level.

Let's see though. Maybe Forza Motorsport 7 will be the start of something new. I'd like to see it, especially on a relatively very powerful console.

Show me? Convince me Turn 10 are in the running compared to other racing games from PlayGround Games, PolyPhony Digital Inc and Evolution Studio's.

The graphics they already have running at a locked 60fps? Nobody else does that. Playground does similar of course but that's at 30, nobody else does 60.

Jamesways

Not this stuff again. Wasn't this already covered in the GTS thread? Aka The cooldawn/Mascot debate about Turn 10 and locked 60?

Anyway some of the pics on this page are insane. A few FH3 shits perfectly summarize what the game is about.
Crazy DC shots too.

Here's a few bike shots. Love the version of Road America they have. For a small dev, it's pretty spot on, especially in terms of elevation that some other games miss.

Here's a few bike shots. Love the version of Road America they have. For a small dev, it's pretty spot on, especially in terms of elevation that some other games miss.

I've found that the more accurate the rendition of Road America is, the more I hate it. I really dislike the total lack of flow/smooth corners in that map. Older inaccurate versions are actually the best ones lol.

I just saw this video of GTS and I'd personally say they're getting there in terms of sound. What do you guys think? I hope I'm not derailing the thread. If I am can someone link me an appropriate thread on the subject?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-Xxsv5Rezc

Nah. The AMG, Charger and Bugatti all sound like "generic V8 sample #042", none of them sound anything like the real car, especially the Bugatti W16. The Aston sounds like the typical GT droning and the upshifts on every car are god awful. No improvement from GT6 in that video.

Gestault

Nah. The AMG, Charger and Bugatti all sound like "generic V8 sample #042", none of them sound anything like the real car, especially the Bugatti W16. The Aston sounds like the typical GT droning and the upshifts on every car are god awful. No improvement from GT6 in that video.

The wind sound in the external view on the highway track was pretty excellent, at least based on that clip.

I think the sounds are getting better but may be it's just me.

Jamesways

Haha, precious! Thanks dr guildo, these two games are new so I'm still taking plenty of pics.

WRC 6

Ride 2
Playing with Photo filters
29779729394_91d63976dc_o.png

30374143676_0d39729207_o.png

30374143046_fede588c95_o.png

29779730714_c10977a734_o.png

And the best screenshot. Lol
30324129361_10fda9e4dd_o.png

I've found that the more accurate the rendition of Road America is, the more I hate it. I really dislike the total lack of flow/smooth corners in that map. Older inaccurate versions are actually the best ones lol.
Blaspheme! I love that track. I have a special spot in my heart for it, but I'm very biased. I try to go there every Aug for the American LeMans round (now Weathertech series). I did the charity bike ride the night before qualifying, boy did it give me a new appreciation for the track, and point out how inaccurate some games still are in some regards.
28787773372_6e39ed292f_o.jpg

DD

What the hell, I'd love to see F1 racing in Road America instead of that shitty Tilkodrome they built in Austin. RA is probably my favorite circuit in the USA. :3

What the hell, I'd love to see F1 racing in Road America instead of that shitty Tilkodrome they built in Austin. RA is probably my favorite circuit in the USA. :3

I hate the Austin track as well as RA so don't worry too much lol. I love Road Atlanta because it has a great flow to it.

Space_nut

Great pics!! FH3 and DC are really the pinnacle of rendering for racing games.

Found this gem on FH3 lighting and rendering from the OT. Credit to Lego Boss

Brilliant Guardian article about weather and car tech in FH3:

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...izon-3-game-perfect-skies-photorealism-detail

It's difficult to disagree with the assertion that this is the best looking game on XBONE

Incredible!! Definitely one of the best looking games this gen.

Real time Global Illumination Voxel Based and they simulate the the water using Sea of Thieves tech....outstanding rendering!!

I hope there's a presentation at GDC

Top Bottom