• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Gestault

Great shots Shandy, and that's a good solution for showing big groups of shots without taking up too much "space" with the post.

Jamesways

Holy crap! Amazing shots Shandy. Good lord there's so much detail in the game. Where to even start?
Fantastic effects on water, great lighting effects on things like sand and rock surfaces, the early dawn sky looks amazing. Etc etc
Just awesome stuff.

Also, NPCs have come a long way, really.

We've said this before in here, but it really is the little things that devs put in that makes a game stand out. Stuff like reflections and smudges on the windshield, little environmental touches, all the little details they didnt have to add that ultimately increase the immersion.

Now I have to follow all that with this ok looking stuff? Uhhh

WRC 6
30267050716_d3c673ea95_o.png

30005299480_3be7de3820_o.png

30267051296_62dd35a896_o.png

30005300580_b81f0446cd_o.png

theWB27

The motion sickness thing coming up in the reviews makes me nervous, but the soft IQ (so long as it looks soft and not pixelish) would be less noticeable in play than in screens. Games like Battlezone and Eve seemed reasonably clear from what I've played, so if it's on par with those, that's gonna feel solid in person.

I've heard some people say the trees are distracting in 3D because the sprites have even fewer effects on them, and are particularly obvious panel sections that follow you as you approach, but that would be harder to judge in 2D.

Considering the original performance target and what they had to do getting it to VR performance, it's looks ok.

I'm really hoping I can do most VR games since I have Vertigo. Be shame if I can't.

Jamesways

Now for some comparison shots time!

Yamaha YZF-R1
#Driveclub onboard
29671517133_63b8abfe74_o.png

Ride 2 onboard
30005302660_ee792bbfac_o.png

#DahClub
30005301230_86d9482fa7_o.png

Ride 2
30267051936_c9babe9ae1_o.png

Kawasaki Ninja H2
BikeClub
30267053106_824e24b926_o.png

Ride Deuce, not bad at all, getting closer
30005302230_5d9b9a38d2_o.png

I didn't get a decent looking side shot of the H2 in DC last night, too much reflection of the concrete.
I'll grab one off a different stage tonight.

Ride 2
30005301730_9166cde310_o.png

30267052786_8ccb0b149e_o.png

Mr. Martini Peace 62
30267052296_7a1432082e_o.png

Ride 2 is really fun, Milestone made a lot of improvements. Tearing around the Ring on a high powered bike in the helmet cam is intense. Their version seems pretty narrow too.

And I didn't comment on DD's post yet, very nice F1 shots, the game looks great on PC. I haven't bought it yet on PS4 but probably will soon.
Your pCARS opinion though is ridiculous.
I'm kidding, I totally understand why you feel that way. A question was brought up in the thread if people would get 2 day one. After all the issues still in 1, peoples hesitation is completely justified. I'll probably jump in though.

DD

Nice, this thread is cool again!

And I didn't comment on DD's post yet, very nice F1 shots, the game looks great on PC. I haven't bought it yet on PS4 but probably will soon.
Your pCARS opinion though is ridiculous.
I'm kidding, I totally understand why you feel that way. A question was brought up in the thread if people would get 2 day one. After all the issues still in 1, peoples hesitation is completely justified. I'll probably jump in though.

Thanks, bro!

Ride 2 seems nice, actually! =O

On that pCars subject, I really tried to enjoy it, and I actually did sometimes. But it is so problematic and so full of bugs, even after more than 10 patches and it is still terrible in that sense. When things actually work, it is an amazing game. The problem is that it doesn't most of the time, and it is specially frustrating when playing with a pad.

Maybe too advanced for you?
Answer above. :)

cooldawn

Errr, OK?
Sorry, it's not your composition...it's just Forza Motorsport being Forza Motorsport.

I expect Forza Motorsport 7 on Project Scorpio to be up to standard. Maybe Turn 10 will be able to add in dynamic weather and time of day by then...or maybe not.

EDIT: And have an up-to-date lighting engine.

c0de

Sorry, it's not your composition...it's just Forza Motorsport being Forza Motorsport.

I expect Forza Motorsport 7 on Project Scorpio to be up to standard. Maybe Turn 10 will be able to add in dynamic weather and time of day by then...or maybe not.

EDIT: And have an up-to-date lighting engine.

Yes, these bad devs at turn 10, can't even do what ps3 did, failing to deliver up-to-date graphics like always and need a super computer to be able to do what others did years before.
This thread is really something...

shandy706

@shandy706 Those are some amzing looking environmental shots of FH3. Is that on PC oe Xb1?

I take shots of both, but those were PC.

Combined wth shady's shots, it's amazing how many little details went into that open world racing game. Absolutely amazing work from PG and second to none.

Yes, and the fact that you can drive to almost anything you see...and the amount of detail they handcrafted into each area despite the size, is incredible.

John Wick

Uh huh, framerate king you say, so why is FM6 brought into the comparison arguments then?
"Guys leave DCVR alone! It's running on a weaker system and targetting 60fps! No fair!"
:lol

I've never bought FM6 into any argument. I don't know what your referring to? Do you mean in comparison to DC?. Never done it as it's 60 vs 30 and on a weaker console.
Have you seen any PC VR games that match normal AAA PC games in graphics? Exactly!
VR requires greater resources and power and the screen is right next to your eyes. Nothing is ever gonna look as good as playing on your TV.

c0de

I've never bought FM6 into any argument. I don't know what your referring to? Do you mean in comparison to DC?. Never done it as it's 60 vs 30 and on a weaker console.
Have you seen any PC VR games that match normal AAA PC games in graphics? Exactly!
VR requires greater resources and power and the screen is right next to your eyes. Nothing is ever gonna look as good as playing on your TV.

But you do know that people in this thread compared to 30fps to 60fps graphics or did you ignore that completely? I mean it's ok to moan about an invalid comparison but than you have to consider other invalid comparisons, too.

Jamesways

dr guildo, great DC pics! You make the bikes look really good. I swear I just don't have the photography eye some of you guys do. Most of my shots are the standard dull 3/4 shots of cars or bikes.

And dumb, you're a GAF screenshot treasure!

Man, DC just nails the lighting at times.

As for Milestone games, they may not have great trackside detail and can look generally flat in terms of lighting but they excel in bike and rider models. They've always had good models and animations.
Some of my favs-

pCARS? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkrQmflQzhY

Doesn't look too far off the original version to me. And the beauty of PC is that you can scale the graphics up as far as you want with better hardware, whereas on console you'd be stuck with the uglier VR versions.

Tripolygon

Banned
Uh huh, framerate king you say, so why is FM6 brought into the comparison arguments then?
"Guys leave DCVR alone! It's running on a weaker system and targetting 60fps! No fair!"
:lol
This is a very silly and disingenuous comment. It is not as funny or clever as you think it is.

1. In this thread we have compared Racing games from Xbox One, PC and PS4.

2. We have compared 1080p 30fps console games to 4K 120fps (10TF) PC racing games and nobody (well few people) complained.

Comparing a severely cut down version of Driveclub running at an effectively combined 120fps*2 at 960 x 1080*2, to any racer is well, stupid. We can all see, deduce and conclude that Driveclub VR pales in comparison to some racers on PS3 and Xbox 360. And any comparison is just stupid and pointless.

It is not the same as comparing 60fps Forza to 30fps Driveclub, Horizon, NFS, Crew etc etc. You are free to make the comparison though.
But you do know that people in this thread compared to 30fps to 60fps graphics or did you ignore that completely? I mean it's ok to moan about an invalid comparison but than you have to consider other invalid comparisons, too.
Comparing 30fps to 60fps is not an invalid comparison. Comparing Driveclub VR to any racer is quite stupid because everyone knows it looks bad.

Noobcraft

This is a very silly and disingenuous comment. It is not as funny or clever as you think it is.

1. In this thread we have compared Racing games from Xbox One, PC and PS4.

2. We have compared 1080p 30fps console games to 4K 120fps (10TF) PC racing games and nobody (well few people) complained.

Comparing a severely cut down version of Driveclub running at an effectively combined 120fps*2 at 960 x 1080*2, to any racer is well, stupid. We can all see, deduce and conclude that Driveclub VR pales in comparison to some racers on PS3 and Xbox 360. And any comparison is just stupid and pointless. You are free to make the comparison though.

Comparing 30fps to 60fps is not an invalid comparison. Comparing Driveclub VR to any racer is quite stupid because everyone knows it looks bad.
The PlayStation 4 is not pushing Driveclub out at 120 fps. It's pushing two 960x1080P images out at 60 fps. The image is being reprojected to 120 fps afterwards isn't it?

Tripolygon

Banned
The PlayStation 4 is not pushing Driveclub out at 120 fps. It's pushing two 960x1080P images out at 60 fps. The image is being reprojected to 120 fps afterwards isn't it?
960x1080 per eye at 60*2 = 120fps plus reprojection = 240fps. The reprojection is done by the PS4 GPU not afterwards but after every frame.

c0de

Hmm? It looks bad because of the limited power of the hardware. You have hardware to run software on.
When you compare Forza 6 to Driveclub, you compare a game that only has half the time to render a frame on less powerful hardware. With DCVR you have the same issue. You have to run software and make cuts due to the hardware.
But why that makes a comparison invalid in this case and not in the other is the question because I don't see any problem with that.

Tripolygon

Banned
Hmm? It looks bad because of the limited power of the hardware. You have hardware to run software on.
When you compare Forza 6 to Driveclub, you compare a game that only has half the time to render a frame on less powerful hardware. With DCVR you have the same issue. You have to run software and make cuts due to the hardware.
But why that makes a comparison invalid in this case and in the other is the question because I don't see any problem with that.
Because we have also compared 10TF PC racers to 30fps console racers. Driveclub VR is a Cutdown version made to run in VR. It is automatically going to look worst than OG Driveclub so it is pointless. But you are correct, its not really an invalid comparison but a pointless comparison. It is as pointless as comparing OG Driveclub to Driveclub VR.

Jamesways

dumb to save the day!

Nice comparisons.

I mean, I love pages of debates on the technical limitations on hardware and what's fair game to post as much as the next guy, but pics and gifs is why I enjoy this thread.

Sorry to interrupt a hot back and forth...

jaypah

Nice comparisons Dumb! DC holds it but they did an excellent job with FH3. Makes me want to boot up the PS4 when I get home.

c0de

Because we have also compared 10TF PC racers to 30fps console racers. Driveclub VR is a Cutdown version made to run in VR. It is automatically going to look worst than OG Driveclub so it is pointless. But you are correct, its not really an invalid comparison but a pointless comparison. It is as pointless as comparing OG Driveclub to Driveclub VR.

And exactly the pc comparison is why we should also compare vr games. It's new and interesting tech and it will be interesting to see which shortcomings come with that.
Of course it looks worse and of course pc can do more than the consoles.
The only way to really compare is the same games, it makes comparisons easier than with different games.
Of course everybody knows before that it will look worse but that's not the point.

Tripolygon

Banned
And exactly the pc comparison is why we should also compare vr games. It's new and interesting tech and it will be interesting to see which shortcomings come with that.
Of course it looks worse and of course pc can do more than the consoles.
The only way to really compare is the same games, it makes comparisons easier than with different games.
Of course everybody knows before that it will look worse but that's not the point.
I suppose you are correct. I just don't don't think it is honest to equate the comparison between 30fps and 60fps games as the same as comparing regular games to VR games.

Tripolygon

Banned
I don't think that's how it works lol. Perhaps someone with more knowledge about VR can chime in.
Lets see if i can explain it better.

Some PSVR games render
  • 60 unique frames for left eye then reprojected to 120fps
  • 60 unique frames for right eye then reprojected to 120fps

It is not reprojecting 60 frames to 120 frames at the end but in between every frame.
Not unless i'm understanding it wrong.

Edit: I think i'm wrong, time to refresh my memory.

Edit2: Upon memory refresh, yup you are correct. I was wrong in my understanding. If anybody can explain it better please do.

c0de

I suppose you are correct. I just don't don't think it is honest to equate the comparison between 30fps and 60fps games as the same as comparing regular games to VR games.

Yes, when people say “it's bad, doesn't look like the original“ that's intentionally putting a bad image on the game. That said, I was also surprised by the hit but it can still be due to the way vr is captured.
Mind, I still await a real technical discussion about what was really crucified to get the game to vr because, as I said before, future racing games in vr will be compared to that. The most famous one will be gt sports and with this game I'm even more curious how much it will suffer for a locked 60fps game.

Synth

Yes, when people say “it's bad, doesn't look like the original“ that's intentionally putting a bad image on the game. That said, I was also surprised by the hit but it can still be due to the way vr is captured.
Mind, I still await a real technical discussion about what was really crucified to get the game to vr because, as I said before, future racing games in vr will be compared to that. The most famous one will be gt sports and with this game I'm even more curious how much it will suffer for a locked 60fps game.

I'm expecting GT:S to take less of a hit, because the game is already targeting 60fps.

I'm not entirely sure how much of a hit the split views of VR incur (similarly, I'm not sure how much more difficult split screen is for a standard game), but the effective resolution would be the same (a full 1080p at 60fps). Driveclub VR is a different matter because it previously had double the window to render each frame.

Latimer

Banned
To me, Forza Horizon 3 is the most beautiful racing game ever made.

Driveclub may be more photo realistic and Project cars may higher detail cars but I just love how vibrant this game is.

And neither of those games have the Lotus Esprit V8 :p

forza-2yabu1.png

etta

my hard graphic balls
To me, Forza Horizon 3 is the most beautiful racing game ever made.

Driveclub may be more photo realistic and Project cars may higher detail cars but I just love how vibrant this game is.

And neither of those games have the Lotus Esprit V8 :p

forza-2yabu1.png
Pffft, dirty uneducated peasant who prefers the Vivid setting to the more superior THX Movie Cinema Film 🎥 Luxury High-End mode.

Top Bottom