• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Space_nut

Astonishing graphically. Something about seeing snow deform as you drive is mesmerizing

Little detail I love is how the ice especially on lake uses SSS so as the sun moves the color changes as light goes through ice. And that night driving in blizzard!!

tKlRgJJh.jpg

CZ8ZesGh.jpg

wg2T7Vkh.jpg

PfEVGCPh.jpg

qkLz0ILh.jpg

N6KRhjMh.jpg

7aGzzZSh.jpg

Pif

Banned
That's a leaked placeholder intro for a dev build of the game to test technical integration into the front end, and is several months old. The completely different official game launch trailer is supposed to be coming within a few weeks.
And we should expect it to look much better than this?

It's just a face-off thread, we can start judging by this early footage already. For instance, the moment where it shows the windshield with the wipers working would make for a good comparison Gif.

Mascot

And we should expect it to look much better than this?

It's just a face-off thread, we can start judging by this early footage already. For instance, the moment where it shows the windshield with the wipers working would make for a good comparison Gif.

Apparently so. I've not seen the official launch trailer myself but the tech has reportedly moved on significantly since that leaked intro was put together. Don't forget, that leaked intro was never meant for public consumption.

Sini

PCars 2 doesn't seem to have much priority on visuals, which is disappointing, but understandable. They only seem to have added some new features without upgrading old ones much.
Apparently so. I've not seen the official launch trailer myself but the tech has reportedly moved on significantly since that leaked intro was put together. Don't forget, that leaked intro was never meant for public consumption.
I really hope they upgraded their engine to PBR in that time.

Mascot

PCars 2 doesn't seem to have much priority on visuals, which is disappointing, but understandable. They only seem to have added some new features without upgrading old ones much.

Based on..?

Judge in a few weeks time after the official launch trailer is shown.

Sebmugi

The management of shaders and reflections on the cars are still basic but the weather effects and their impact in real time on the circuit seems promising.

I look forward to seeing the next evolution studio (Driveclub) development work ^^

drotahorror

I look forward to seeing the next evolution studio (Driveclub) development work ^^

I'm bracing myself for disappointment. I'll be shocked if they get the resources to create something that looks better than DC let alone on the same level. I'm just going to be pessimistic going into it hah. I do think that whatever they work on, gameplay wise, will be brilliant.

pcars 2 ultra footage courtesy of nvidia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x8KzBPiOAA

still not a fan

Just seems really vanilla. But without showing weather, on a track like that, I feel it's hard to really wow people.

Sebmugi

I still hope that there is in GT sport a management of shaders a bit like in driveclub, but finally I think we will have to settle for less well .. including in the photo mode "scape" : /
I Am sad, i love to play with photo mode ^^

Gestault

the image. seems weird to release an image of a game running at 4k in sub 1080p.

F O L L O W T H E M O N E Y

At least in the video it came from, they showed a zoomed 1:1 pixel version of it that was native. I think we just happen to be seeing a smaller version of the image.

Pif

Banned
Forza-Tech-Screenshot.png

Can some experts offer an analysis of what we are looking at vs what is available right now on this thread and how is it better?

Luigiv

Can some experts offer an analysis of what we are looking at vs what is available right now on this thread and how is it better?

According to Rich himself, what we're looking at is a tech demo based on Forza 6 running with more or less the same graphics settings as standard Xbone, but obviously at 4 times the resolution and with the 4K textures enabled.

Other than that, not really much to analyse. The low GPU and RAM usage displayed is pretty swanky though. Bears well for more graphical to come.

willbsn13

Regarding the screenshot

Did you see it running a game?

Yes. Well, a ForzaTech demo, which is a stress test based on the Forza Motorsport 6 engine, running the maximum number of cars around a track with dynamic weather and all the bells and whistles turned on

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-06-project-scorpio-explained

FM6 didn't have dynamic weather or TOD

This tech demo does though, the sky looks straight out of FH3.

Could be possibly hinted at dynamic TOD/Weather for FM7?

KORNdoggy

Regarding the screenshot

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-06-project-scorpio-explained

FM6 didn't have dynamic weather or TOD

This tech demo does though, the sky looks straight out of FH3.

Could be possibly hinted at dynamic TOD/Weather for FM7?

forza 6 did have weather. it just wasn't dynamic ala driveclub. i see no evidence in a screenshot to suggest it's now dynamic? also, you can see the limitations of it being current xbone graphical settings in the reflections in the road, it only goes 4 cars deep. i'd assume fully optimized for scorpio it would run the full track?

willbsn13

forza 6 did have weather. it just wasn't dynamic ala driveclub. i see no evidence in a screenshot to suggest it's now dynamic? also, you can see the limitations of it being current xbone graphical settings in the reflections in the road, it only goes 4 cars deep. i'd assume fully optimized for scorpio it would run the full track?

Did you read what I posted? The article itself states the weather is dynamic..

Did you see it running a game?

Yes. Well, a ForzaTech demo, which is a stress test based on the Forza Motorsport 6 engine, running the maximum number of cars around a track with dynamic weather and all the bells and whistles turned on

Sebmugi

On the other hand I am wary of the 60% of resources used, when I see that the image is representative of a racing game before the latter is started. Basically, managing these cars at full speed simultaneously is not the same as on a starting grid.

Gestault

On the other hand I am wary of the 60% of resources used, when I see that the image is representative of a racing game before the latter is started. Basically, managing these cars at full speed simultaneously is not the same as on a starting grid.

From what I've seen, the starting grid can be one of the more demanding moments in a race. I've definitely seen games force rolling starts on full-grid events as a performance workaround, or running those scenes at half-capped framerates. Presumably, they designed that scene as a stress-test.

Hope they improve on their lighting even further, it's the area where GT is clearly superior. Doesn't seem like PCARS 2 will be much competition to both GT and Forza in terms of visuals.

Sebmugi

From what I've seen, the starting grid can be one of the more demanding moments in a race. I've definitely seen games force rolling starts on full-grid events as a performance workaround, or running those scenes at half-capped framerates. Presumably, they designed that scene as a stress-test.

At the time of the start maybe but there .. I can not see how stopped vehicles are more difficult to calculate than cars moving but either .. why not..

To be fair, the scene about 3 seconds after that screenshot would be a bigger stress test - Forza spews up a huge amount of particles in the rain. Having to resolve all of those alpha/depth issues with 24 cars visible would be a great test of GPU usage.

But yeah, a full grid at the starting line, at true 4K with EQAA and Forza's immense LOD cars at 66% GPU? Yeah, that's impressive.

Gestault

Hope they improve on their lighting even further, it's the area where GT is clearly superior. Doesn't seem like PCARS 2 will be much competition to both GT and Forza in terms of visuals.

I think that early footage they put out for PCars2 killed people's expectations. It really looked like a mess, but I've put a decent amount of time into PCars1, and I know the lighting (especially halfway between the peak times of day) can be gorgeous, even if it has other snaggletooths.

I'm curious how they push the visuals in 2.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Totally agree on the lighting. Forza running at 4K/60 with better lighting on par with GTS would be quite the sight.

Leadbetter stated the entire demo ranged from 55% with one car on the screen to 70% with everything going on.

I think that early footage they put out for PCars2 killed people's expectations. It really looked like a mess, but I've put a decent amount of time into PCars1, and I know the lighting (especially halfway between the peak times of day) can be gorgeous, even if it has other snaggletooths.

I'm curious how they push the visuals in 2.

On PC it did look pretty nice but on consoles it was pretty much a mixed bag.

Gestault

(mem5059mb = 65,88% ) 65% -> 8000 ram
4 go ram on 12 total, for the OS it's really huge no? oO

They supposedly have 4K/60fps game capture built into the overhead, which could easily chew through a lot of that. We've seen this implementation of blocking off the "worst case scenario" amount of ram in the initial firmware in the Xbox division for more than a decade (and releasing more for games as time goes on). Sony ran into trouble with the PS3 where they didn't allocate enough non-essential ram initially, and were never able to implement things like cross-game voice chat as a result.

ViciousDS

Banned

looks solid up close......but whats the AA solution? It gets really, really jaggy beyond those initial 2 cars

its probably just a quick port/test shot.....really interested in this in the future

Gestault

looks solid up close......but whats the AA solution? It gets really, really jaggy beyond those initial 2 cars

its probably just a quick port/test shot.....really interested in this in the future

They said specifically this is the same IQ/LOD settings from the XB1 game, so AA/AF is the same as it is on FM6 right now (2xEQAA). They pulled in the 4K textures, though.

Top Bottom