• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Time to unveil the weather PD

bheqvy.gif
I'd rather them get a super solid baseline and then add those extras in as they can afford, just as Turn 10 has been doing.

On the other hand I am wary of the 60% of resources used, when I see that the image is representative of a racing game before the latter is started. Basically, managing these cars at full speed simultaneously is not the same as on a starting grid.
Richard said that gpu usage actually went down when the race dispersed. But there were two or 3 spikes with some heavy climate.

He also said they tested running everything on ultra and gpu usage went up to 80-88% iirc.

thelastword

Banned
looks solid up close......but whats the AA solution? It gets really, really jaggy beyond those initial 2 cars

its probably just a quick port/test shot.....really interested in this in the future
Hadn't even noticed, because I didn't expand the picture...So there's still no proper AA solution and it's really hard to tell how good the AF is in that shot....

Richard said that gpu usage actually went down when the race dispersed. But there were two or 3 spikes with some heavy climate.

He also said they tested running everything on ultra and gpu usage went up to 80-88% iirc.

Forza 7 is going to be 4K/60 and make me buy project Scorpio. History repeats as I bought Xbox one for Forza 5, Xbox 360 for Forza 2...

Hadn't even noticed, because I didn't expand the picture...So there's still no proper AA solution and it's really hard to tell how good the AF is in that shot....

It's actually pretty easy. The wetness of the asphalt highlights the normal maps. You can see the fine "grain" (bumps) of the road for a pretty decent distance.

thelastword

Banned
It's actually pretty easy. The wetness of the asphalt highlights the normal maps. You can see the fine "grain" (bumps) of the road for a pretty decent distance.
I'm not sure I agree, the graininess of the asphalt gets lost in focus a few feet into that shot due to the wet surface and reflections, further into the distance, there's no graininess under the cars ahead...

Ok, just look past the first 3 cars in that pic, there's no rain on the road or road textures beyond that...It's just strange that this pic was used to show the scorpio difference....It's also strange that this pic says 50% resolution scale in the video...I wonder if that's the reason for the jaggies and some of the fuzziness on the side of the building....(with the pic expanded of course)...I'm watching on a 1440p monitor..

arhra

It's literally XB1 code just running at 4k as a proof-of-concept and performance test (ported in 2 days on cobbled-together hardware when they first got functioning samples). AA/AF/everything else other than resolution and textures (they pulled in the higher-res textures from F6 Apex on PC) is going to be close if not identical to the existing XB1 game.

They apparently also had a build with everything set to Apex's Ultra settings (which includes some ludicrous brute-force options, such as forcing max-LOD car models regardless of distance from the camera), and that peaked at ~88% GPU usage.

ignoring all other racing games and such

That new Forza shot as far as texture style and look still doesn't look very good to me. It's one of the reasons I don't like playing Forza.

Mobius 1

That car should be pouring smoke when the backend comes out.

It should. The beta is inconsistent - I've been in many situations where dust from trackside never came up, nor tire smoke. And neither have volumetric shadows yet. In fact, the whole particle system is half-baked in the beta.

very bad youtube quality but they seem to have improved the awful color correction from pcars 1. better track modeling as well. no more of those horrendous sun rays either hopefully

Godrays are still in, but they're toggleable. I believe they were in pCARS 1 as well.

towards the end you can see it start forming, its rather realistic.

Since the car is already prepped and running around the track, shouldn't the tires be hot enough to where a drift will immediately make smoke?

Astonishing graphically. Something about seeing snow deform as you drive is mesmerizing

Little detail I love is how the ice especially on lake uses SSS so as the sun moves the color changes as light goes through ice. And that night driving in blizzard!!

tKlRgJJh.jpg

CZ8ZesGh.jpg

wg2T7Vkh.jpg

PfEVGCPh.jpg

qkLz0ILh.jpg

N6KRhjMh.jpg

7aGzzZSh.jpg

Nice. Playing FH3 now and can get high 50fps at 4K, but prefer locked 60 at 1440p.

That car should be pouring smoke when the backend comes out.

It's basically drifting around the entire curve.

It can pouring smoke if you drift with high speed. Or just burn out the tires.

In the gif because this corner at Brands Hatch is very long I just let the car to slide (with a flick on the spot where the camera changes) at relative low speed and then helped the slide with the gas. It is not a case of a power drift.

Since the car is already prepped and running around the track, shouldn't the tires be hot enough to where a drift will immediately make smoke?
No because at this case the start of the gif is also the start of the run.

GT always had great replay camera angles. Hope Turn10 can learn something from this, because the Forza replay cameras have been ignored for way too long.

What they did in FH3 with the drone cam should be standard in all of their games moving forward. People are able to get some amazing shots with that.

Edit: excuse my double post. Sorry!

Gestault

Very nice, shame it looks like a cartoon most of the other times. Still beautiful though.

Overcast and dusk races are gorgeous, sunny and rainy ones are more stylish (or garish, depending on your taste). This isn't news to anyone, but it's crazy how dramatic a difference the atmospherics make in these games.

Unrelated photo-mode shots from Horizion 3.

64d3055dd52d49b9a0ad.png

ForzaHorizon34302017.png

Gestault

I mean, everyone has a right to an opinion and all that....

But, what???

A cartoon?

Pffff

Not the word I'd have chosen, lol. But I do know what they mean. Forza's gone for that saturated, car catalog/showroom look since basically its start. They do realistic just as beautifully when you look for it, but you can tell the color gamut is a deliberate artstyle choice.

Synth

This is an open-world game yet it's far beyond Forza mainstream.

Amazing...especially in these conditions.

I've been saying this for a while, but you have to keep in mind that not only does Horizon have double the rendering time available in comparison to Motorsport, but games like Forza Horizon and Driveclub also have the luxury of designing the environments and track detail to be as flattering as possible, whereas games like Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo often have bland looking environments owing to their tracks often being surrounded by a sea of short grass leading into a few spectator stalls.

It's hardly an apples to apples comparison.

Top Bottom