• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

GTS Beta vs Forza 6 Nurburgring Audi TTS Coupe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BsE_zUbMJg
GT wins for AA but I'd hand Forza the nod for everything else.

Nice comparison.

Will GT Sport allow you to set any time / conditions? I know GT doesn't have dynamic times and transitions, but could you set GT to the same time of day as Forza 6? And is GT holding down a locked 60fps at this point? Or is that expected at release?

Gestault

Horizon 3 on XB1 (keeping each gif to less than 5 mb)

pass.gif

waves.gif

brakes.gif

pass2.gif

cooldawn

I've been saying this for a while, but you have to keep in mind that not only does Horizon have double the rendering time available in comparison to Motorsport, but games like Forza Horizon and Driveclub also have the luxury of designing the environments and track detail to be as flattering as possible, whereas games like Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo often have bland looking environments owing to their tracks often being surrounded by a sea of short grass leading into a few spectator stalls.

It's hardly an apples to apples comparison.
Oh for sure but I'm not talking about visual design, uninteresting geometry or wealth of objects...I'm talking about the organic natural look of the scene. PlayGround Games seem to be in a different technological race. The detail and lighting on display in Forza Horizon 3 is, at times, stunning (the same can be said of Gran Turismo and DriveClub with the same environmental settings, of course).

I have never seen this of the other game.

Gestault

Yeah, the gifs here are (all?) the XB1 version, and there's no stutter in the original. If you're seeing any, it's just from the capture. There aren't many duplicate frames though (for a gif anyway), they may just be reacting to normal camera movement.

I'm planning to do some Nurburgring caps from a dayime Forza 6 run soon. I haven't gotten into the GTS beta yet (invite still pending), but seeing some of the stills from other posters in the main thread, I'm getting antsy and want to grab something from that track.

Gestault

The trees in GT Sport look great. Not sure why they replaced the trackside grass with a putting green though. It's completely flat.

They really nail the current-gen combo of leaf translucence and nice highlights when the angles are just right. It doesn't work the whole time, but we're also looking at pre-polish foliage placements (hence some of the repitition), which means the closer to release, it's gonna look even better. The grass thing I'm hoping is just a matter of earlier development.

Considering the next one will be made for the Scorpio as well, I'm fairly certain Forza 7 will destroy GT:S.

I think the longstanding artistic/stylistic choices in both may mean less of a difference than some may expect, but that's exactly what fans of each probably want.

I still think Forza Horizon 3 is the best looking racing game ever. The game at 5K maxed out on PC looks glorious.

As for realism, there's parts of GT:S that look really amazing.. such as the car models. Especially the interiors (compared to the competition) but sorry Noobcraft, I think I disagree with you about the trees. GT:S's trees look fine once they're close enough to the camera, but in my opinion anything mid screen and further out looks really fake and ruins the whole immersion for me. And I agree with you about the grass.. it's another area where the shading lets the image down.

As for Forza Motorsport 7... I have high hopes for it, but without some lighting improvements as well as improvements to the material shaders, it might not look all that difference from FM6. I'm basically hoping that T10 has gone back and really done some work there to differentiate FM7 from FM6.

Gestault

I still think Forza Horizon 3 is the best looking racing game ever. The game at 5K maxed out on PC looks glorious.

As for realism, there's parts of GT:S that look really amazing.. such as the car models. Especially the interiors (compared to the competition) but sorry Noobcraft, I think I disagree with you about the trees. GT:S's trees look fine once they're close enough to the camera, but in my opinion anything mid screen and further out looks really fake and ruins the whole immersion for me. And I agree with you about the grass.. it's another area where the shading lets the image down.

As for Forza Motorsport 7... I have high hopes for it, but without some lighting improvements as well as improvements to the material shaders, it might not look all that difference from FM6. I'm basically hoping that T10 has gone back and really done some work there to differentiate FM7 from FM6.

I think the one thing that's gonna serve FM7 well is that 6 came out in 2015. It already looked solid, and they're coming in at roughly the halfway point of the current gen with access to really pronounced shader/reflection/lighting improvements that we've already had in the wild for a few years. By that same token, PD and GTS is premiering with a whole generation's worth of improvements. It's a good time to drive.

wide.gif

double.gif

DD

From a technical standpoint, Forza always seems to be great, but I find the... how can I explain? The artistic direction (???) always lacking. I mean, it lacks the grittiness of a race, the visual choices try so hard to be cool that end up looking boring (LOOK AT THIS GOD RAYS!!! LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL WARM LIGHT!!! LOOK AT THIS COMPLETELY UNNATURAL FICTIONAL CIRCUIT MADE TO SHOW GREAT VISUALS FOR THE TRAILERS!!! LOOK!!!), hell, even the song choices lack a good punch. I mean, orchestral music? Really?! The music should convey speed and/or style, not epicness. In other words, I think Forza Motorsport lacks personality. They try to make it so sleek and round that it ends having no character at all. Getting a bit crazy here, but It's a game about racing. It should be "spiky" and "crunchy", but Forza feels "marshmallowey"(???).

Another thing I find weird is the fact that the emphasis is on the cars. I think that it shouldn't be like that. The emphasis should be on what you can do with those cars, the places, the atmosphere, the faces around...

I know this is all subjective stuff, but that's my opinion. :p

EDIT: I forgot to say that even though racing is my favorite genre, I find that most of the racing games fail miserably in giving the player a purpose. It seems (not focused only on Forza anymore here) that they struggle so much to make beautiful graphics and physics and everything, but they forget to make a real game on top of it. Seems like they create a certain number of random races and call that a game. Personally, I like when games are mean to the player. Here, mother f*cker, face this 20 race championship and fight for points? Too big for your pathetic attention spam? Too bad... Don't let me guide the game alone. Let the game push me to certain paths too! Let me win and let me loose. Let me deal with finishing in 10th place instead of forcing me to race again for a stupid medal. Make me connect with my car instead of throwing new free cars on my face all the time. Give me an AI with a name and a face to curse, you know...

Gestault

From a technical standpoint, Forza always seems to be great, but I find the... how can I explain? The artistic direction (???) always lacking. I mean, it lacks the grittiness of a race, the visual choices try so hard to be cool that end up looking boring (LOOK AT THIS GOD RAYS!!! LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL WARM LIGHT!!! LOOK AT THIS COMPLETELY UNNATURAL FICTIONAL CIRCUIT MADE TO SHOW GREAT VISUALS FOR THE TRAILERS!!! LOOK!!!), hell, even the song choices lack a good punch. I mean, orchestral music? Really?! The music should convey speed and/or style, not epicness. In other words, I think Forza Motorsport lacks personality. They try to make it so sleek and round that it ends having no character at all. Getting a bit crazy here, but It's a game about racing. It should be "spiky" and "crunchy", but Forza feels "marshmallowey"(???).

Another thing I find weird is the fact that the emphasis is on the cars. I think that it shouldn't be like that. The emphasis should be on what you can do with those cars, the places, the atmosphere, the faces around...

I know this is all subjective stuff, but that's my opinion. :p

A real pet-peeve of mine in Forza 6 was some of the lazier "this always happens as you pass it" effects like the wave-crash in Rio and the frequency of airplanes/helicopters coming overhead. It had the feel of a more arcade-style racer, and the stagecraft was so obvious in a simish game that it was distracting for me, when I knew they meant for it to be impressive.

A real pet-peeve of mine in Forza 6 was some of the lazier "this always happens as you pass it" effects like the wave-crash in Rio and the frequency of airplanes/helicopters coming overhead. It had the feel of a more arcade-style racer, and the stagecraft was so obvious in a simish game that it was distracting for me, when I knew they meant for it to be impressive.

I never really thought about that to be honest, but damned if you aren't right. Flashy stuff for no real reason.

Gestault

Is Mario Kart 8 not allowed here? Was expecting to see screenshots when I clicked on the thread.

It's totally welcome, and I know firsthand how gorgeous it is. I think the way photo sharing is handled makes it a little tricky, because you lose some resolution and then have to compress it to share it publicly. Even starting from the first page with MK8 on Wii U, it's been shown before.

Excellent shares, Benzy. Current patch? It may just be psychosomatic, but that IQ looks even better than before.

its a given that GT sport beats forza tbh. not even debatable. its made for more powerful base hardware by a better developer.

Is Mario Kart 8 not allowed here? Was expecting to see screenshots when I clicked on the thread.

of course its allowed i dont know why youd expect to see screens of it in a thread about the best looking racing games tho

Putty

its a given that GT sport beats forza tbh. not even debatable. its made for more powerful base hardware by a better developer.

of course its allowed i dont know why youd expect to see screens of it in a thread about the best looking racing games tho

The bolded is HIGHLY subjective. I'd probably elaborate at this point...

Top Bottom