• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

But this is. Horizon 3 is a gorgeous game.

h44auhk.png

Not just a gorgeous game.. it's the best looking racing game.

T10 and P-Games are nowhere near to P-Digital? Lol, do remember that one side is releasing games with flawless frame locks and decent upgrades on a weaker console.

lol frame locks. playground cant even get forza horizon 3 to run at 60 fps on the fastest pcs money can buy. i dont think you want to go this route. polyphony digital is honestly flat out better when it comes to tech.

cooldawn

I believe Playground and Turn10 share lots of their tech so I'm not sure it's that easy to place one ahead of the other, FH3 runs at 30fps too while FM has been 60fps for 4 iterations now.
GTS and FM6 is a more interesting comparison, going by the comparison video posted a while back Polyphony need to put in another gear when they exit the beta or we might see Turn10 dethrone Polyphony for graphics when FM7 is out.
I don't think 30fps or 60fps really changes overall visuals much. PlayGround Games just seem more apt at making shared technology shine. I bet if you give them the mainline franchise they would still do better.

Regardless of all that I agree Gran Turismo Sport and Forza MotorSport 7 is where the real comparisons will be drawn.

What would make you think FM7 won't have a locked 60fps?
History. Only ever seen one video showing Forza MotorSport 'locked' at 60fps (from another thread just under a year ago). Even then it was, what, a couple of minutes or so. Not conclusive by any means.

h213ual.png

theres a garish, harsh look to the lighting/materials and the skybox doesnt match the TOD at all
I think that looks stunning myself. Beautiful contrast and the overcast clouds show on the distant mountains. Looks inviting. I can imagine how insane The Crew would look like with this engine and with PlayGround Games at the helm.

thelastword

Banned
Guess we oughta start labeling all the games despite most of us are familiar with which is which. :p

aasdap.gif

kzrdvn.gif
At this point how could anyone not know which is which. GTS is several steps up in terms of texture quality, lighting quality, car detail and materials....

Hux1ey

Banned
I think that looks stunning myself. Beautiful contrast and the overcast clouds show on the distant mountains. Looks inviting. I can imagine how insane The Crew would look like with this engine and with PlayGround Games at the helm.

I can confirm it's stunning, I just drive around looking at the scenery in my favourite cars. And that's 4k downsampled to my old 1080p monitor, can't image how good it looks on an actual 4k screen. I am getting my 1440p 165hz monitor tomorrow though, can't wait.

material quality id say yes to. texture res, no

I'll agree with that, though the poor AF really hurts the textures in the GTS shots I've seen.

Noobcraft

I can confirm it's stunning, I just drive around looking at the scenery in my favourite cars. And that's 4k downsampled to my old 1080p monitor, can't image how good it looks on an actual 4k screen. I am getting my 1440p 165hz monitor tomorrow though, can't wait.
You can see surfer's paradise from Blizzard Mountain (and Blizzard Mountain from the mainland), which is a neat touch.

screenshot-original39mjs15.png

lol frame locks. playground cant even get forza horizon 3 to run at 60 fps on the fastest pcs money can buy. i dont think you want to go this route. polyphony digital is honestly flat out better when it comes to tech.

I'll take you on that route. Let's see Polyphony Digital do a open world racing game the size of FH3...

I'll wait.......... forever... since that's how long it would take.

Fiber

Let me tell you folks something with my low level english. (sorry for that)

The Forza Motorsport vs Gran Turismo conclusions are not quite correct, or acceptable, from my view point.

First of all, the last generation we had (Forza Motorsport 3-4 vs Gran Turismo 5-6).
While the Forza Motorsport 3-4 has fully damageable cars,
higher pitch quality engine sounds,
and be able to look around to car with right thumbstick (without any fps drops).
More 3d detailed environment.
The game never, EVER, drops below from 60 fps, its rock solid.

This is so critical because, Gran Turismo 5 and 6 never reached 60 fps, it just vawes between 35-45 fps, and also, in GT, the cars never could be damaged like forza,
and the 3rd camera was stiff, you can not look around the car with analogs.
This is so and so cheap trick. This is simply because ps3 cannot handle it. To look at the car while in the race.

The comparison is not fair. The Forza Motorsport Franchise was at 60 fps, while the Gran Turismo was 35-45 fps.

And now we're seeing again the same cheap tricks, we have new gran turismo, the damage model looks awful,
everything in environment looks 2d, nothing seems like 3d detailed in environment.

Take a look at these;
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZcIxxhThHjk/maxresdefault.jpg

What the hell is this? 2D environment? In 2017? This is INSANE.

The game now again (with new patch) does not let you to look around the car in gameplay 3rd camera. This is so cheap ass trick.
and boom! the replay camera runs at 30 fps.

And I just simply cannot understand, while somebody still says, GT visuals are better than Forza's, it must be a joke. This is unacceptable, its irrational.

Best Regards.

I'll take you on that route. Let's see Polyphony Digital do a open world racing game the size of FH3...

I'll wait.......... forever... since that's how long it would take.

PD would have no problems getting an open world racing game to run at 60 fps on top of the line intel cpus at 5 gz

giphy.gif

FH3 gets things right dat water

You can tell that Rare helped them out with the water, it looks gorgeous.

History. Only ever seen one video showing Forza MotorSport 'locked' at 60fps (from another thread just under a year ago). Even then it was, what, a couple of minutes or so. Not conclusive by any means.

Wait, you're saying Forza Motorsport games don't run at a consistent 60 fps? What?

thelastword

Banned
Why don't you post some flattering ones and explain to me then? I'd appreciate it.
No, because I'm not trying to prove that Forza's lighting has improved tremendously. Even that pic with the green porsche is not impressive and it's not only because of the low res textures and some of the bland environments in the background in your shot and this one, it's mainly due to how poorly lit the game is, in essence, you are not fooled that it's not a video game...which is something GT does often....when you see pics or footage, sometimes you're not sure it's a VG. I think that pretty much sets the precedent...

No, because I'm not trying to prove that Forza's lighting has improved tremendously. Even that pic with the green porsche is not impressive and it's not only because of the low res textures and some f the bland environments in the background, it's mainly due to how poorly lit the game is, in essence, you are not fooled that it's not a video game...which is something GT does often.,,when you see pics or footage..sometimes you're not sure...

Yeah, this is sure fooling me...

33677329964_89956f1953_o.png

not my pic

Hux1ey

Banned
Wait, you're saying Forza Motorsport games don't run at a consistent 60 fps? What?

They pretty much all have since Forza 2, though you definitely get hitches once in a blue moon, especially in 2 & 3.

No, because I'm not trying to prove that Forza's lighting has improved tremendously. Even that pic with the green porsche is not impressive and it's not only because of the low res textures and some of the bland environments in the background, it's mainly due to how poorly lit the game is, in essence, you are not fooled that it's not a video game...which is something GT does often....when you see pics or footage..sometimes you're not sure...it's a VG.

What?

Fess

I don't think 30fps or 60fps really changes overall visuals much. PlayGround Games just seem more apt at making shared technology shine. I bet if you give them the mainline franchise they would still do better.

Regardless of all that I agree Gran Turismo Sport and Forza MotorSport 7 is where the real comparisons will be drawn.

Of course 60fps will affect the visuals, they have half the time to do all the pretty post processing etc. I don't get how you can think that it doesn't matters.

And Forza Motorsport has been 60 fps for years now. Are you thinking about Forza Horizon?

Digital Foundry about FM6:

"From start to finish, Turn 10 achieves an unwavering 60fps - and in this sense, there is yet more refinement over its predecessor: the very rare glitches and hitches found in Forza 5 are completely excised from this sequel. Put simply, the rock-solid consistency is the icing on the cake."

the lighting and materials in this look better than any forza/horizon game tho

Oh yea... which ones? The 2d trees? The same repeated 3d tree 10 times? The non existent detail on the railing? The muddy and terrible ground textures with no AF? The terribly lit grass that only appears on the left side and is lit completely incorrectly?

Space_nut

No, because I'm not trying to prove that Forza's lighting has improved tremendously. Even that pic with the green porsche is not impressive and it's not only because of the low res textures and some of the bland environments in the background in your shot and this one, it's mainly due to how poorly lit the game is, in essence, you are not fooled that it's not a video game...which is something GT does often....when you see pics or footage, sometimes you're not sure it's a VG. I think that pretty much sets the precedent...

Lmao if you want me to post some gts pics of the poor af and textures I can easily do so ;)

Makki

Oh yea... which ones? The 2d trees? The same repeated 3d tree 10 times? The non existent detail on the railing? The muddy and terrible ground textures with no AF? The terribly lit grass that only appears on the left side and is lit completely incorrectly?

You sure are taking things seriously, remember to inhale and exhale. Regardless of shortcomings, the natural lightning of GT vs all Forza games is more realistic. Yes, you can play with photomode all day or cherry pick areas where the sun dont shine to show Forza can stop looking cartoony, but in gameplay those things fall short. Static images dont do any game justice unless its a render from Photomode.

Fess

Is this from Blizzard Mountain?
Yup. One if the best DLC I've played this generation, a whole new map, not as big as the original map but waaay bigger than I thought it would be. Could've been a whole separate game tbh.
I'm currently LTTP playing it, bought the game a week ago and it's just sooo good, best arcade racer I've played in years! :)

ive never heard someone so accurately describe forza visuals. well done

mkeejn.png

h213ual.png

h1n1uyr.png

materials and light. #howdotheywork

Fess

I don't know why people don't think this is impressive.

I thought it was an irl picture for a few seconds.
Me neither lol, I'm wowed at everything that gets posted in this thread, can't believe I started off by playing super pixelated Pole Position roughly 30 years ago and now I'm playing something that looks like I'm watching TV :)

Me neither lol, I'm wowed at everything that gets posted in this thread, can't believe I started off by playing super pixelated Pole Position roughly 30 years ago and now I'm playing something that looks like I'm watching TV :)

I still remember the first time I saw some preview screens of Destruction Derby in a magazine 20-something years ago. Even now I remember thinking how can something look so much like real life? My brain couldn't imagine cars looking more better than this

f1uCu0e.jpg

uCjFYBB.jpg

DD

I still remember the first time I saw some preview screens of Destruction Derby in a magazine 20-something years ago. Even now I remember thinking how can something look so much like real life? My brain couldn't imagine cars looking more better than this

f1uCu0e.jpg

uCjFYBB.jpg

LOL, I remember well when I first saw The Need for Speed on the 3DO. I was like, holy crap, this looks real!!!

medium_4_screenshot.png

89618-Need_for_Speed,_The_(1994)(Electronic_Arts)(US)[A1115_CC_735507-2_R70]-4.jpg

People in this thread all went crazy calling Forza or GT ugly. One thing is having opinions about certain details, but calling them ugly is f*cking madness!

Personally I think there is enough room in the world for Forza's more stylized lighting and GT's rigid aim for realism.

One thing I liked about modern Forza is that they tweak lighting conditions for each track to make it look the best. In GT, default lighting looks a bit too flat and can make everything look the same no matter the track.

Once you get away from that mid day cloudless sky in GT though, things really look amazing. They nailed dawm,dusk night etc... Different weather conditions looked great too. Its just that standard GT lighting that looked so lifeless

FukuDaruma

Everybody is aware that you can always cherrypick either the most and the least realistic shots from most of these games, right?

Imho, GTS looks stronger in some areas, specially replays, but Driveclub is still mostly unmatched in visual awesomeness, specially if we're talking weather.

Dat lighting...
DriveClub007.gif

Dat rain...
jo1BgkJ.gif

Dat volumetrics...
a9fd72ca864d2d9306aa1e33b86e67e8.gif

Top Bottom