• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Space_nut

I think this should settle it. I painted a van chrome to test, just to have a large, flat, reflective surface area. Using the same terms you used (casting versus reflections) just to make it clear.

In the first shot, the van is reflecting the light sources of the two cars behind it. The top white lights are from the track stands, the bottom yellow lights are from cars. The reflections are clearly being rendered on the middle of the van, the reflector at the top, and the reflectors in the reverse lights. The casting lights are visible on the Ford badge, the area where the plates would be, and the road of course. EDIT: Also, bear in mind that the casting isn't quite as visible on the van in these shots since chrome is less rough and will diffuse less light.

The second shot is the exact same shot with all headlights switched off. Open them in two tabs and flick between, you can see where each reflection would've been and where each light cast would've been.

This shot has light reflections visible (the Hilux's rear lights on the van), but not much casting going on as it's not fully dark + the Hilux seems to have rather dim lights.

Hope that's clear enough, I was starting to struggle to find proof until I had the idea of making a hideous chrome van :p

Awesome find :) Forza Horizon 3 has this too

Synth

Until I see otherwise that's the only reasonable theory. Regardless it's a far-cry from real-time or dynamic

Just been catching up in this thread, and by extension your posts. I think I agree with you in regards to what FM7 is doing for its time of day transitions. So basically all we now disagree on is the use of the term itself. The time of day would still be dynamic as in the video posted the time of day at the start is clearly not the same time of day at the end... so it had changed (the literal meaning of the word dynamic) during the course of the race. It would still be dynamic even if interpolating between states, and being limited to say a 10pm to 2am transition, rather than a full 24hrs.

The shadows however apparently aren't dynamic by the same definition. The game is seeemingly limited to transitions between times of day where the shadows cast by the sun wouldn't be a factor.

It's amazing how smoothly this game runs due to its "insane amount" of motion blur. I still have my copy to this day too. I remember some time ago when I decided to play it, and as I started a race I was thinking "it didn't aged well", but five minutes latter I was like "DAMN, THIS GAME IS BEAUTIFUL!!!"

PGR4 does still look amazing for a last gen game... but I certainly wouldn't regard it as being all that smooth now. I was replaying it a while back, and I was surprised at just how noticeable framedrops in the game were in comparison to the original Forza Horizon which I was playing around the same time.

Gaenor

Banned
This has to be one of the more ignorant posts in the entire thread

(no offense, just comes across as someone that knows very little about what they are talking about)

I explained that people just want a wider variety of cars. 2 types of Ferraris and Lambos for example isn’t enough for most. Even if the 458 GR4 is a totally different car mechanically (with a wider body) than the 458 road car, people just see a racing 458. Not hard to comprehend honestly.

ethomaz

Banned
A 458 GT3 is different to a 458 road car lol. One must take some logical leaps to say they are the same.
Funny because it drives completely different from each other lol

That is the best part of GT games... each car is unique to drive.

I explained that people just want a wider variety of cars.
Who are these people? Because variety means too different driving cars like these two you listed.

Gaenor

Banned
Who are these people? Because variety means too different driving cars like these two you listed.

GTS car list and number of cars have been decried by alot of people here, no way you haven’t seen that.

There was this post recently on another thread:
Are these cars really different or lots of them are duplicates? For example, are these unique cars?
Lancer Evolution Final Edition - N300
Lancer Evolution Final Edition - Gr3
Lancer Evolution Final Edition - Gr4
Lancer Evolution Final Edition - Gr.B Rally
Lancer Evolution Final Edition - Gr.B Road Car

Or these?
Ferrari 458 Italia - N600
Ferrari 458 Italia GT3 - Gr3
Ferrari 458 Italia - Gr4

And these:
Peugeot RCZ Gr.3
Peugeot RCZ Gr.4
Peugeot RCZ Gr.B Rally Car
Peugeot RCZ GT Line
Peugeot RCZ Gr.3 Road Car

If they're duplicates, GTS have a little more than 100 unique cars.
------------
Can't wait to see DAIHATSU COPEN RJ Vision Gran Turismo!

A lot people find the car selection to be lacking and feel that the 162 cars are inflated by « duplicates » (not my word). It seems like a general sentiment.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
You guys sound like you don't know much about cars to consider FIA GT cars as the same as their production counterparts. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
I would guess the vast majority of players do not watch motorsports beyond the occasional NASCAR or F1 race if at all.

Its not a general statement at all, just something you are trying to pass as a general statement.
No car fan would consider a production car and its FIA GT3 version as duplicates. They look different, interior and exterior and handle differently.

ShapeGSX

You guys sound like you don't know much about cars to consider FIA GT cars as the same as their production counterparts. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I know enough to have built and tuned my car's engine with my own two hands.

It's not so much the exact number as it is the magnitude.

I understand why they do it. They can start with the same design and get a lot of variations. Every one of these games does this because it's an easy way to get a bunch of cars added to the list. But when you don't have many cars to start with, that's when the number of variants become apparent.

ethomaz

Banned
GTS car list and number of cars have been decried by alot of people here, no way you haven’t seen that.

There was this post recently on another thread:

A lot people find the car selection to be lacking and feel that the 162 cars are inflated by « duplicates » (not my word). It seems like a general sentiment.
The number of cars at launch is valid complain but try to pass different cars that have interior, exterior, mechanical and driving way different from each other like you did is utter bullshit.

So no... it is not a general statement... just you trying to create a statement.

I know enough to have built and tuned my car's engine with my own two hands.

It's not so much the exact number as it is the magnitude.

I understand why they do it. They can start with the same design and get a lot of variations. Every one of these games does this because it's an easy way to get a bunch of cars added to the list. But when you don't have many cars to start with, that's when the number of variants become apparent.
Or in a driving game you want to experience each different driving model.

That is something GT games nailed it.

Gaenor

Banned
Its not a general statement at all, just something you are trying to pass as a general statement.

Just look one post above you and one below.

The number of cars at launch is valid complain but try to pass different cars that have interior, exterior, mechanical and driving way different from each other like you did is utter bullshit.

So no... it is not a general statement.

My comments always were about the number of cars and how people perceived them. People will see a 458 road car, a 458 GT3 and a 458 GR4 as a single model. Sure it drives differently, but for them it’s an easy way to inflate the total number of cars. A bit similar to the complaints about the « 50 » variations of GTRs in the previous games. The perception is similar. Agree to disagree, but from I’ve seen people don’t feel like there’s a lot of different models of cars in this game.

ShapeGSX

Or in a driving game you want to experience each different driving model.

That is something GT games nailed it.

Well, yes, I can certainly see someone being able to collect and drive every one of the 162 cars in the game. It is definitely harder to do that if your game has 3 or 4 or 5 times as many cars to choose from. That is something that GTS has definitely nailed. :p

As a 34 year old gamer, I'm not really perturbed by GT Sports car list, when in my teen years we had to live with 10-20 cars in a driving game until Gran Turismo came by. You kids are spoiled. Spoiled!

Still I can understand why it seems so little, when Forza 7 has 700 cars.

ethomaz

Banned
Well, yes, I can certainly see someone being able to collect and drive every one of the 162 cars in the game. It is definitely harder to do that if your game has 3 or 4 or 5 times as many cars to choose from. That is something that GTS has definitely nailed. :p
?

I drove all cars that I collected in GT5... some 700-800ish.

?

I drove all cars that I collected in GT5... some 700-800ish.

I guess it's down to the player really. I've been a GT fan since the first game and normally don't even touch close to half the cars in them. I just drive the ones I like, no need to spend money on the ones I don't like. I was never one for collecting all the cars.

The 150 ish cars in GT Sport will be fine for me and I dare say I probably won't even touch all of them either.

Will0827

Selfishly wanted to drop my sadness at there most likely not being another Driveclub, it was my perfect car game, sure i could just go back and play and nullify even having to express this but, it sucks that there may not be another.

MaDKaT

I guess it's down to the player really. I've been a GT fan since the first game and normally don't even touch close to half the cars in them. I just drive the ones I like, no need to spend money on the ones I don't like. I was never one for collecting all the cars.

The 150 ish cars in GT Sport will be fine for me and I dare say I probably won't even touch all of them either.

Certainly does come down to the player. Other/Previous games may of had a lot of cars and for many players only a handful will ever be driven but at least there is a selection for everyone of varying tastes to choose from. For me, looking at the list it is pretty underwhelming. I honestly only car about a few of them. Not that it can be a problem. With some of my favorite sims I will generally stick to 1 or 2 cars. With that said, GT was the series I went to look and virtually drive many many different cars. I can say confidently it was the GT series that really pushed my interest and showed me a whole world of vehicles. Seems that is not longer what the series is about.

Synth

As a 34 year old gamer, I'm not really perturbed by GT Sports car list, when in my teen years we had to live with 10-20 cars in a driving game until Gran Turismo came by. You kids are spoiled. Spoiled!

10-20? Your teenage years sound spoiled too.

I was playing games with 1 car (Daytona USA) or 3 (Sega Rally, and one of those was an unlockable). The only racing game pre-GT I can recall playing with more than 10 cars would be Ridge Racer... and if we're arguing about duplicates here, then oh boy, lol.

KageMaru

Yup, I remember playing the hell out of Sega Rally Championship which had a whole 3 cars.

I don't see anything wrong with GTS number of cars, that should be plenty for most gamers. When discussing the quality of cars or tracks, the amount of content in relation to the development schedule should be kept in mind.

Certainly does come down to the player. Other/Previous games may of had a lot of cars and for many players only a handful will ever be driven but at least there is a selection for everyone of varying tastes to choose from. For me, looking at the list it is pretty underwhelming. I honestly only car about a few of them. Not that it can be a problem. With some of my favorite sims I will generally stick to 1 or 2 cars. With that said, GT was the series I went to look and virtually drive many many different cars. I can say it was the GT series that really pushed my interest and showed me a whole world of vehicles. Seems that is not longer what the series is about.

I guess some here are finding it hard to understand that this is what GT is for a lot of people. Collecting and driving a lot of cars. And even if you're only interested in one or two the more choices that are available the more likely it is that the one or two you care about is there.

Understandable for some it's sad to see them stray away from that. For others, not so much.

Gaenor

Banned
You know who won the graphics comparison when you see people moving the conversation to car count. It really is that simple.

As if anyone who talks about car count isn’t happy to see GTS having amazing graphics. Get out of your bubble, not everyone is a fanboy.

This isn’t the place to discuss car count though, that I admit.

shandy706

You know who won the graphics comparison when you see people moving the conversation to car count. It really is that simple.

There can be no winner in these threads. All the racers do different things better "graphically" / presentation wise. Poly counts, environmental effects, laser scan closeness to real tracks, real time weather/TOD/heat waves/reflections/mods/sounds/lighting/texture res/LOD/AA...and on and on....and on..haha

This thread will last for eternity, lol.

John Wick

Just look one post above you and one below.

My comments always were about the number of cars and how people perceived them. People will see a 458 road car, a 458 GT3 and a 458 GR4 as a single model. Sure it drives differently, but for them it’s an easy way to inflate the total number of cars. A bit similar to the complaints about the « 50 » variations of GTRs in the previous games. The perception is similar. Agree to disagree, but from I’ve seen people don’t feel like there’s a lot of different models of cars in this game.

Kaz has stated that GTS will have 400-500 cars when its all done. As long as they release new cars every 2-3 months then that's fine by me. I rarely use more than 20-30 cars in a game. More than enough for me.
I'm glad they got rid of the standard cars. They expect the models of these new cars to last 10 years. So I'm happy with that

10-20? Your teenage years sound spoiled too.

I was playing games with 1 car (Daytona USA) or 3 (Sega Rally, and one of those was an unlockable). The only racing game pre-GT I can recall playing with more than 10 cars would be Ridge Racer... and if we're arguing about duplicates here, then oh boy, lol.

It was Ridge Racer! Got my first console when I was 13, a Playstation. Sega Saturn didn't even exist here, except for this one kid who laughed at me when I told him I'm aiming for Sony's.

We live in incredible times, which is why knowing GT Sports have 150/86 type of cars doesnt really bother me at all.

Forza 7 is the most intense and realistic feeling racer i have played. The sense of speed along with all the subtle animations and physics put it in a league above GT for me . GT physics are really bad which hurts the overall look even though its a pretty game.

Anyways, some pics of F7, both gameplay and photo mode

TkyGBaA.jpg

kVVvFLE.png

j4ZeLyw.jpg

bzYlj6B.jpg

cooldawn

One could lock off some championships with tracks that are only DLC. But like many online shooters, doing so often locks away quite a few players. The most money will go into people wanting to buy specific cars they like. Would be really good if the tracks are free, or have a very low entry fee to get people to drive them online.
I can't see them locking off official FIA Championships either. It's exclusive to those with PS+ already, they don't need to segment it by introducing another step.

If they are going to charge for cars I'd like to buy some credit and obtain the ones I want as and when, rather than being forced to buy a bundle of cars of which some I might not like.

I hope they eventually add the Bentley GT3 2016 car. I love that thing in Project CARS 2.

Just been catching up in this thread, and by extension your posts. I think I agree with you in regards to what FM7 is doing for its time of day transitions. So basically all we now disagree on is the use of the term itself. The time of day would still be dynamic as in the video posted the time of day at the start is clearly not the same time of day at the end... so it had changed (the literal meaning of the word dynamic) during the course of the race. It would still be dynamic even if interpolating between states, and being limited to say a 10pm to 2am transition, rather than a full 24hrs.

The shadows however apparently aren't dynamic by the same definition. The game is seeemingly limited to transitions between times of day where the shadows cast by the sun wouldn't be a factor.
I only used 'full dynamics' because it infers randomness i.e. a simulation of something that can change an instance. In context to the genre, to me 'full dynamics' means a system that can integrate with another based on a simulation. For instance, in Gran Turismo 5, the position of the sun changes the sky and the shadows because it does it dynamically, but it also uses variable weather data to change the scene at dynamic intervals.

I'm not sure a pre-defined trajectory can qualify as being dynamic, even though it does clearly change/transition the environment. Real-time time of day is an in-engine system though.

At the end of the day though I don't mind.

eso76

It's amazing how smoothly this game runs due to its "insane amount" of motion blur. I still have my copy to this day too. I remember some time ago when I decided to play it, and as I started a race I was thinking "it didn't aged well", but five minutes latter I was like "DAMN, THIS GAME IS BEAUTIFUL!!!"

Oh it is. It still is and it's 10 years old.
It's also still the only game to acknowledge that tarmac doesn't need to be wet to reflect the surroundings to a degree.

32R51r.gif

Subtle, but makes a huge difference, especially combined with road stripes paint having different diffuse and reflectiveness (also still a PGR4 exclusive afaik)

EDIT: man, this gif is even lower quality than i imagined : (

Certainly does come down to the player. Other/Previous games may of had a lot of cars and for many players only a handful will ever be driven but at least there is a selection for everyone of varying tastes to choose from. For me, looking at the list it is pretty underwhelming. I honestly only car about a few of them. Not that it can be a problem. With some of my favorite sims I will generally stick to 1 or 2 cars. With that said, GT was the series I went to look and virtually drive many many different cars. I can say confidently it was the GT series that really pushed my interest and showed me a whole world of vehicles. Seems that is not longer what the series is about.

I get it will be disappointing for some, even I was at the beginning but the more I've seen of the game, the more I'm looking forward to playing it now. I like it when things evolve though, as I get bored with the same stuff over and over, same with the new God of War, can't wait to play that because it's doing something new.

I guess with the last few GT games not reviewing as well as some of the previous GT games and reviewers / fans complaining about the lack of polish (PS2 standard cars ect) and the fact this is the 7th main game now, PD wanted to try something different, a fresh start, instead of just doing more of the same.

MaDKaT

I get it will be disappointing for some, even I was at the beginning but the more I've seen of the game, the more I'm looking forward to playing it now. I like it when things evolve though, as I get bored with the same stuff over and over, same with the new God of War, can't wait to play that because it's doing something new.

I guess with the last few GT games not reviewing as well as some of the previous GT games and reviewers / fans complaining about the lack of polish (PS2 standard cars ect) and the fact this is the 7th main game now, PD wanted to try something different, a fresh start, instead of just doing more of the same.

This is going a bit off topic but, change is good. However stripping GTs identity is a bit much. If the GT name and PD logos weren't attached to this game it could easily just be past off as new new GTR game. Good in its own right but really not a Gran Turismo.

Synth

I only used 'full dynamics' because it infers randomness i.e. a simulation of something that can change an instance. In context to the genre, to me 'full dynamics' means a system that can integrate with another based on a simulation. For instance, in Gran Turismo 5, the position of the sun changes the sky and the shadows because it does it dynamically, but it also uses variable weather data to change the scene at dynamic intervals.

I'm not sure a pre-defined trajectory can qualify as being dynamic, even though it does clearly change/transition the environment. Real-time time of day is an in-engine system though.

At the end of the day though I don't mind.

"Full dynamics" would make sense as a differentiation because it would imply the entire system being dynamic, including the shadow casting, etc. I still don't really agree with randomness being a requirement, because change is change at the end of the day, regardless of the trigger. It would be trivial for the rain in FM7 to be triggered randomly for example, or even to remain at a lower level of intensity. This wouldn't actually require any complexity be added to the system. The scope of change is a different matter though, so being able to perform a full 24hr cycle, predefined or not, would require a different solution, with the shadows able to be adjusted in real-time.

I think we've basically "met in the middle" here on this, and probably only seemingly disagreed due to the way ethomaz had started us off. He had initially claimed that what FM7 does was the same as GTS, where a ToD is selected prior to the race starting, and then it remains the same throughout. That would be static, regardless of if the calculations were real-time or not, if it doesn't change then it isn't dynamic. The confusion seems to be primarily due to conflating dynamic and real-time calculations as being the same thing, which isn't necessarily true (despite often going hand-in-hand). A lot of dynamic elements in many games are predefined. ToD is actually one of the most common examples, being on a constant cycle in many cases.

If GTS ends up not having rainy weather at launch or at all, I feel like we're going to see a lot of rainy Forza screenshots in this thread. What's funny is, people pointed fingers at Driveclub when rainy screenshots where posted lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
If GTS ends up not having rainy weather at launch or at all, I feel like we're going to see a lot of rainy Forza screenshots in this thread. What's funny is, people pointed fingers at Driveclub when rainy screenshots where posted lol
I think we will get wet weather track with cloudy skies but not falling rain. As long as we still get wet driving physics, and rain spray, it will be a good way to the real thing. Still no Driveclub though.

This is going a bit off topic but, change is good. However stripping GTs identity is a bit much. If the GT name and PD logos weren't attached to this game it could easily just be past off as new new GTR game. Good in its own right but really not a Gran Turismo.

Well a change sometimes can be a good thing, I guess we will find out soon though.

At least they have slapped on the polish now and the games looks fantastic, the early footage had me worried but now it looks seriously impressive with their car models and lighting.

Top Bottom