• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Gingen

Banned
i1cch0CENJr09EE.jpg

hjhjhjhjcs1e.jpg

i1D9nMdHh4n7DuB.jpg

dfer9js0p.jpg

hahazqs06.gif

Sebmugi

I remember that in driveclub the reflection of other cars exists even if no cars have presented in the screen .. but it is difficult to capture because it is a reflection of less good quality .. I have that ..

sorry for the quality of the screens are of old captures ..

here the red car on the top of the wing
1507276063-driveclub-tm-20150126215431.jpg

here in the door the green car, of elsewhere one recognizes it it lykan
1507276067-driveclub-tm-20150127104540.jpg

and the on the body of the car even the windows .. in the hood on the left, you can clearly see the front of the car on the right which is nevertheless cut but the reflections are a bit shifted
1507276075-driveclub-tm-20150127110439.jpg

here the direct reflection on the rim and the body, colors of the car next to ..
1507275666-driveclub-tm-20150218143936.jpg

and the same for the environment.
1507275970-driveclub-tm-20150122091909.jpg

Hoo-doo

Banned
I remember that in driveclub the reflection of other cars exists even if no cars have presented in the screen .. but it is difficult to capture because it is a reflection of less good quality .. I have that ..

sorry for the quality of the screens are of old captures ..

1507276075-driveclub-tm-20150127110439.jpg

Now this is podracing.

Snubbers

I might not like the balance of effort spent on their photo mode stuff, but no denying those i nteriors in GT are amazing!

I'm trying to find a 18gbps HDMI Matrix so I can get a 4K HDR Monitor for my gaming rig and switch between PS4 Pro / PC / XOX, because with details like that, I can see me not wanting to be viewing these things on a small 1080p SDR monitor..

cooldawn

Funny you say that, as GTS's creator is a massive photography enthusiast. PD really now how to make cars look good with shots and cinematography.
Oh snap. I said this a few posts up.

Kaz is someone people don't understand. There are three subjects in his informative years that has shaped the way Kazunori approaches Gran Turismo:
- Cars. He grew up at a time when cars started to have radical curvy shapes
- he became obsessed with the minute detailing of insects
- he became passionate about photography

All this history is clear to see in Gran Turismo. It's why the cars are second to none, why the lighting is industry leading and why he is at the cutting edge of HDR technology. It also highlights a stark difference between the east and west when it comes to game design.

I don't think that can happen with their engine.
That's why the dynamic ToD can only happen between no more than 2 lighting conditions, and provided one of them has no shadows at all (night, or 100% cloudy).
Dusk/night, night/dawn, whatever/overcast.

At least, I haven't seen anything else.
Personally I think the the sun is a 'fake' object and simply can't be moved across the sky in real-time. It's placed in accordance to the time the game sets pre-race. I haven't seen a video showing shadow creep across the scene yet, which seems to be evident of this type of system. I also think the lighting is completely independent to the sun i.e. the engine can go through a 24 hour cycle by changing the colour of the sky only but it's values light and dark the world accordingly, not the 'fake' sun. I think the sun doesn't need to be there at all.

It's an easy fix to show something that looks believable but actually does very little.

The dedication is definitely something to appreciate and fits with this thread but I think most gamers would have more cars that may not be quite the same level of detail.
I agree, I would love a bigger diversity of cars in Gran Turismo Sport. The Premium models in Gran Turismo 5 are still, in my view, high-end content but I guess they don't have all the features the new cars models have so they couldn't use them. Lets not forget the backlash from gamers when they did include old car models (so, in a way, again, we have ourselves to blame, along with damagegate).

They'll come eventually.

eso76

How would PGR3 be now? Is it very alike PGR4, new locations etc?

Pgr3 didn't have weather, Tod, bikes, was sub 720p with no AA and 5/6 locations missing compared to pgr4.

But it had Tokio and Las Vegas during the day (had to be removed from pgr4 because they couldn't fit all the textures in a DVD). Aside from that (which is the reason why I kept a copy) PGR4 had all the content from PGR3 in much better shape and then some, so it became redundant.

Personally I think the the sun is a 'fake' object and simply can't be moved across the sky in real-time. It's placed in accordance to the time the game sets pre-race. I haven't seen a video showing shadow creep across the scene yet, which seems to be evident of this type of system. I also think the lighting is completely independent to the sun i.e. .

Yeah I'm pretty sure shadows on the track never change regardless of where the sun is. I've seen Prague at noon and dusk and I'm pretty sure shadows were always in the same place. Not only they don't creep across the scene in real time, I doubt they even baked them in different positions.

KageMaru

i1cch0CENJr09EE.jpg

hjhjhjhjcs1e.jpg

i1D9nMdHh4n7DuB.jpg

dfer9js0p.jpg

Polyphony modellers:

UAKAHIi.gif

That is some amazing work. Where are these taken?

I agree, I would love a bigger diversity of cars in Gran Turismo Sport. The Premium models in Gran Turismo 5 are still, in my view, high-end content but I guess they don't have all the features the new cars models have so they couldn't use them. Lets not forget the backlash from gamers when they did include old car models (so, in a way, again, we have ourselves to blame, along with damagegate).

They'll come eventually.

I didn't mean to use last gen models, even though let's not pretend that using the premium models from last gen would be the same as using PS2 models in GT5.

thelastword

Banned
I have a feeling this thread would be a lot nicer to visit if a few of the usual suspects didn't post in it.

If you want to find some nasty looking stuff in FM7, you can absolutely do so. Just like you can do in GT:S, DC, FH3, PC2 and whatever else you want to trashtalk.

The problem is that the healthy debate is long gone, derailed by shitty cherry-picking, angry warriors and people who think they know it all. That said, there are also good posters. I'd like to give a shout-out to 'dumb', who despite his name, makes some great posts and screenshots.
You know what, there is a lot of hypocrisy in this post, it's baffling really....Not only are you thread whining, but I find people who complain about threads are usually persons where their opinion is not the popular one....Do you want a thread where people just agree with you or pat you on the back?

Here you are praising dumb, and that's great at least, but the hypocrisy lies in the fact that he posted the pics showing Forza's shortcomings in terms of foliage, the other pics doing that were proper side to side comparisons with Forza 4 as well. Nothing was cherry picked, it's really how the foliage and reflections and car models look against Forza 4....

Where were you when DC was being ridiculed with the crappy Jpeg of the yellow lambo? I didn't see you talking against it and saying people are cherry picking and yet that happened a couple pages back....The worse thing are the posters who try to pretend they have no axe to grind, that they are neutral, when it's clear what their biases are. You had no problems with this thread when DC was being blasted with that Lambo pic, but now you have a problem with the thread when most people are seeing the quality of work and ATD that went into GTS....and the lack thereof in F7 in many respects.

You have a problem with the thread, yet, you can't stay away or post in cumbaya threads of your choosing. instead, you have to come into this one and complain about it...because people have different views obviously. You hate the thread, but yet you won't leave it well alone....What type of symptom is this???

Pgr3 didn't have weather, Tod, bikes, was sub 720p with no AA and 5/6 locations missing compared to pgr4.

But it had Tokio and Las Vegas during the day (had to be removed from pgr4 because they couldn't fit all the textures in a DVD). Aside from that (which is the reason why I kept a copy) PGR4 had all the content from PGR3 in much better shape and then some, so it became redundant.

I see, I might skip it then! Looks like I had to be there before PGR4 was released to enjoy the most! Thanks for the info though.

Gaenor

Banned
The worse thing are the posters who try to pretend they have no axe to grind, that they are neutral
So if you think I'm some type of warrior, you'll be mistaken

Sorry, I just had to.

Not that I disagree with some of your post. Anyway, just a couple of days till GTS demo and this thread will be packed with amazing screenshots. Can’t wait.

I wish we could play PGR4 on Xbox One so the GTS cheerleaders can tell us how shit it is.

hqdefault.jpg

BigLee74

You know what, there is a lot of hypocrisy in this post, it's baffling really....Not only are you thread whining, but I find people who complain about threads are usually persons where their opinion is not the popular one....Do you want a thread where people just agree with you or pat you on the back?

Here you are praising dumb, and that's great at least, but the hypocrisy lies in the fact that he posted the pics showing Forza's shortcomings in terms of foliage, the other pics doing that were proper side to side comparisons with Forza 4 as well. Nothing was cherry picked, it's really how the foliage and reflections and car models look against Forza 4....

Where were you when DC was being ridiculed with the crappy Jpeg of the yellow lambo? I didn't see you talking against it and saying people are cherry picking and yet that happened a couple pages back....The worse thing are the posters who try to pretend they have no axe to grind, that they are neutral, when it's clear what their biases are. You had no problems with this thread when DC was being blasted with that Lambo pic, but now you have a problem with the thread when most people are seeing the quality of work and ATD that went into GTS....and the lack thereof in F7 in many respects.

You have a problem with the thread, yet, you can't stay away or post in cumbaya threads of your choosing. instead, you have to come into this one and complain about it...because people have different views obviously. You hate the thread, but yet you won't leave it well alone....What type of symptom is this???

Don't be confused. It's really really simple.

Some folk just like to rag on certain games because it's not their game. They won't admit anything about it is nice, and refuse to respond to evidence that obviously counters any stupid claim they make about the game they don't like. These are people that contribute nothing constructive to the thread.

Some folk like to rag on certain games, but can still be positive about some things it may do nice. They still have an obvious bias (intentionally breaking lod in photo mode with big zooms etc to create some deliberately bad shots), but at least they are a little more open minded about it in general.

Ill leave you to work out what categories the people concerned fall into.

Don't be confused. It's really really simple.

Some folk just like to rag on certain games because it's not their game. They won't admit anything about it is nice, and refuse to respond to evidence that obviously counters any stupid claim they make about the game they don't like. These are people that contribute nothing constructive to the thread.

Just so you know, you're replying to the #1 main offender of everything in this quote.

KageMaru

A picture from a YouTube video is not a way to do a proper comparison.

....The worse thing are the posters who try to pretend they have no axe to grind, that they are neutral, when it's clear what their biases are.

You're right, that is one of the worst things, so why do you keep doing it?

now you have a problem with the thread when most people are seeing the quality of work and ATD that went into GTS....and the lack thereof in F7 in many respects.

Now this shit needs to stop. PD was given the most amount of time to work on the least amount of content with the three main games being discussed in this thread, so there will be differences. I enjoy discussing the strengths and weaknesses for each of the games but shitting on any of the studios as if they all don't strive for the highest quality possible shouldn't be allowed.

They already announced DLC for tracks and cars. Some people even hope it will be like DC but this is speculation at this point.

Yeah they've said a steady stream, if they want me to pay £20-25 for a years worth of monthly updates similar to DRIVECLUB then they can have my money.

cooldawn

Yeah I'm pretty sure shadows on the track never change regardless of where the sun is. I've seen Prague at noon and dusk and I'm pretty sure shadows were always in the same place. Not only they don't creep across the scene in real time, I doubt they even baked them in different positions.
Until I see otherwise that's the only reasonable theory. Regardless it's a far-cry from real-time or dynamic. A real shame considering Forza Motorsport 7 could have been a fully featured XBOX ONE X title. It was a chance to make it really stand-out.

I didn't mean to use last gen models, even though let's not pretend that using the premium models from last gen would be the same as using PS2 models in GT5.
Oh...you mean just making more quicker at a lower quality to bump up the numbers.

I still wouldn't mind the Premium Gran Turismo 5 cars in Gran Turismo Sport. They are still really high quality (they could use the photodiode models) even though they may not have all the modelling features of the new generation.

They already announced DLC for tracks and cars. Some people even hope it will be like DC but this is speculation at this point.
Considering the scope of Gran Turismo Sport I can't see circuit's being charged for.

$80 CAD for 162 cars and 86 car body styles is a tough sell.. especially with a mostly MP focus and few tracks.

I really feel the brand will carry it, people want a GT game on the PS4 it looks great and plays well (going by the BETA I tried) It does seem thin on the ground, but hopefully they will give a roadmap for DLC before or shortly after launch.

Considering the scope of Gran Turismo Sport I can't see circuit's being charged for.

One could lock off some championships with tracks that are only DLC. But like many online shooters, doing so often locks away quite a few players. The most money will go into people wanting to buy specific cars they like. Would be really good if the tracks are free, or have a very low entry fee to get people to drive them online.

Gaenor

Banned
Only thing similar with most FIA GT race cars and their production counterparts is that they share similar body designs... but mechanically they are totally different.

Yes, but what people ask for is a wider variety of models, not variations of the same model (even if they are mechanically different).

JamboGT

I wish we could play PGR4 on Xbox One so the GTS cheerleaders can tell us how shit it is.

Weren't you in the comparison thread talking about how terrible how fanboyish some of the posters were? I agreed with you in that thread but now we have this. Interesting.

DD

Have we started posting PGR4 gifs yet ?

now, this is a 10 HOURS video showing all the cars and i would imagine most tracks in all different conditions.
Shame about the chase cam

https://youtu.be/vbsfOzstQcU

It's amazing how smoothly this game runs due to its "insane amount" of motion blur. I still have my copy to this day too. I remember some time ago when I decided to play it, and as I started a race I was thinking "it didn't aged well", but five minutes latter I was like "DAMN, THIS GAME IS BEAUTIFUL!!!"

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It’s just a variation of the same car.

This has to be one of the more ignorant posts in the entire thread

(no offense, just comes across as someone that knows very little about what they are talking about)

Top Bottom