• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Gingen

Banned
Forza has better IQ and texture resolution but horrid flat lighting model.

Gt sport has better lighting model, colour accuracy and overall tech but horrid IQ/AA that drags the visuals down.

End of discussion.

Horrid IQ/AA? where? maybe on the Turok 1080p and jpg ultra compressed images made specifically for misrepresenting the game

on PS4 PRO the IQ looks very good, especially when the game is in motion

Real ingame screenshots from PS4 PRO resolution mode:

granturismosportversikidzw.png

granturismosport_2018vne4a.png

granturismosport_2018o2fe1.png

granturismosport_201818io0.png

granturismosport_2018i1dtu.png

I have tons of other screenshots like these, or maybe better

Moreover on this topic all of you are not considering that GTS is the game with the best implementation of HDR. In GTS the difference between HDR OFF and ON is huge, and none of the images or videos posted here can capture the real look of GTS because all the images/videos are without HDR

Last edited by a moderator:

thelastword

Banned
Horrid IQ/AA? where? maybe on the Turok 1080p and jpg ultra compressed images made specifically for misrepresenting the game

Moreover on this topic all of you are not considering that GTS is the game with the best implementation of HDR.
In GTS the difference between HDR OFF and ON is huge, and none of the images or videos posted here can capture the real look of GTS because all the images/videos are without HDR
Indeed, MSAA does not even work all that well in Forza 7, lot's of shimmering and noise, especially on fences etc.. and lots of specular aliasing. GT in 1800CB is so clean, it's probably one of the best games for IQ this gen....But HDR? Best implementation of HDR this gen by far, it goes up to 10000 nits and Sony displayed this recently on one of their new HDR TV's which support this brightness level. Just awesome stuff....Even with our current TV's with their 2000nits, it's the HDR game to beat, on top of GTS's superior lighting, better effects, better materials, foliage and ATD, no wonder the detractors don't want to put anything against GT in motion, I've been asking for ages......Instead, they continue to post disingenuous shots, even JPG's vs PNG's at one point in time....Who cares though, we play this in motion and your clean shots look even better in motion, with all the effects we don't see in these shots, the best lighting and HDR, that you can't always capture in a still....

Yet, some folk feel that Downsampling a weaker looking game on all counts to favor a Rez+IQ boost will make a game look better, and they still have to post the worse JPG's for GT they can find too.....It's crazy innit?

petrus91

Moreover on this topic all of you are not considering that GTS is the game with the best implementation of HDR. In GTS the difference between HDR OFF and ON is huge, and none of the images or videos posted here can capture the real look of GTS because all the images/videos are without HDR
Actually these screenshots do show a very soft image and a lot of loss on car details. I do agree that IQ wise GTS suffers a lot on bigger screens. IQ is not pristine by a mile on my 55' 4K display.

Forsete

Engine sounds still are so synthetic. :confused:
I haven't played a racing game in ages.

Whats up with the harsh transition from 3D rims to 2D rims?

thejared

Does FM7 display and simulate tire flex? GTS does and it looks awesome.

Yeah but forza’s implementation is goofy and overdone.. tires like jelly.

Everything in forza is overdone from the ridiculous rainbow bright colors and rain flooded unrealistic not race-worthy tracks to the mirrors and wipers and everything everything else jostling about at 70 mph.

thejared

Engine sounds still are so synthetic. :confused:
I haven't played a racing game in ages.

Whats up with the harsh transition from 3D rims to 2D rims?

Uhh I hope you’re talking about forza... the ultimate in synthetic sounds.. anyone remember “Our engine sounds are made up of direct recordings and ...a lions roar”. Ever listen to the sounds after you run off the tarmac a bit, supposed to be gravel and debris flinging up against the bottom of the car, instead sounds like someone went into their garage and recorded dropping all their tools into their tool box. Laugh every time I hear it.

... and one of my biggest gripes with GT Sport was the aggressive LOD and I was sucked in by Turk and the forza fakery here, expecting LOD 0 for all cars all around the track on the One X... went out and wasted $500 to see that that was bullshit. There’s still track pop in and LOD changes right in your face including wheels and not to mention the non tessalated interior vents and round pieces.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Uhh I hope you’re talking about forza... the ultimate in synthetic sounds.. anyone remember “Our engine sounds are made up of direct recordings and ...a lions roar”. Ever listen to the sounds after you run off the tarmac a bit, supposed to be gravel and debris flinging up against the bottom of the car, instead sounds like someone went into their garage and recorded dropping all their tools into their tool box. Laugh every time I hear it.

... and one of my biggest gripes with GT Sport was the aggressive LOD and I was sucked in by Turk and the forza fakery here, expecting LOD 0 for all cars all around the track on the One X... went out and wasted $500 to see that that was bullshit. There’s still track pop in and LOD changes right in your face including wheels and not to mention the non tessalated interior vents and round pieces.

Everything in forza is overdone from the ridiculous rainbow bright colors and rain flooded unrealistic not race-worthy tracks to the mirrors and wipers and everything everything else jostling about at 70 mph.

What fakery, Forza uses lod 0. And when did we say that Forza 7 didn't have pop in? All we said was that it was more agressive in GTS. And i don't know anything about the X version cuz im on PC. And if you spend 500$ on the X because of my screenshots thats your problem, you should have bought a gaming pc instead cuz thats what im playing Forza on. And you call the tire flex effect overdone in Forza 7 and jelly effect like wich is not true. They have even reduced the effect compared to older FM titles. Infact in GTS, PC2,DC and AC is the effect way more overdone than in Forza if anything, wich is more realistic that way. For the engine sound, there are cars that sound good and there are cars that don't. Its expected with a game with 750 cars. Even games with less than 1/10 off the car list of Forza have good sounding and bad sounding cars. You act like Forza is the only one doing this. Forza's sounds are great in general, not the best in some cars but most of them sound good. And when you said that you was sucked by the Forza fakery by my screenshots, where you sucked in the fakery when they showed scape and photomode lods in GTS here? And seeing your previous posts where you said that even GT5 had better looking paint shaders and driver models clearly shows me what your up to in this thread. Like what overdone rain effects? better paint shaders in GT5? better driver models in GT5? gamey looking tracks and super bright glare to give tracks GT real look? The things you say make no sence. You start with saying that GTS looks good(wich it does) and then you say all those things to Forza wich comical.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
What fakery, Forza uses lod 0. And when did we say that Forza 7 didn't have pop in? All we said was that it was more agressive in GTS. And i don't know anything about the X version cuz im on PC. And if you spend 500$ on the X because of my screenshots thats your problem, you should have bought a gaming pc instead cuz thats what im playing Forza on. And you call the tire flex effect overdone in Forza 7 and jelly effect like wich is not true. They have even reduced the effect compared to older FM titles. Infact in GTS, PC2,DC and AC is the effect way more overdone than in Forza if anything, wich is more realistic that way. For the engine sound, there are cars that sound good and there are cars that don't. Its expected with a game with 750 cars. Even games with less than 1/10 off the car list of Forza have good sounding and bad sounding cars. You act like Forza is the only one doing this. Forza's sounds are great in general, not the best in some cars but most of them sound good. And when you said that you was sucked by the Forza fakery by my screenshots, where you sucked in the fakery when they showed scape and photomode lods in GTS here? And seeing your previous posts where you said that even GT5 had better looking paint shaders and driver models clearly shows me what your up to in this thread. Like what overdone rain effects? better paint shaders in GT5? better driver models in GT5? gamey looking tracks and super bright glare to give tracks GT real look? The things you say make no sence. You start with saying that GTS looks good(wich it does) and then you say all those things to Forza wich comical.
Maybe he has but it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't even have a X

ShapeGSX

No, the tire deformation is not overdone. That's really what happens. This is a video of a ridiculously light car (1448lbs), and look at how much the tire deforms in the corners. Think about what a heavier car will do? You're flinging 2 tons around a corner at 1g with a flexible piece of rubber between you and the road. What do you think is going to happen? Jelly is real life.

Just because you've never hung your head outside a moving car to watch the tires deform doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And yeah, it looks a bit funny if you've never seen it before. Turn 10 got it right.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Would you like some fries with that salt.

Jesus.

At least they are trying to make things responsive to the conditions in the environment rather than have everything just so lifeless and static like a lot of the competition.

thejared

Would you like some fries with that salt.

Jesus.

At least they are trying to make things responsive to the conditions in the environment rather than have everything just so lifeless and static like a lot of the competition.

No, they are doing it to make things more exciting “looking”.. remember it’s Forza, the michael Bay of racing games. They mimic what others do, but turn the dial up to 11. Like with the fucking helicopters and crop dusters constantly flying overhead make the place seem like a war zone as they are strafing the drivers every other lap.

Maybe they should get the actual racing right before adding more barbecues and wavy tube men on the sidelines. Maybe start with a proper flag system.. can I get a damn checkered flag when I finish a race?! “No!!, but I’ll give you confetti bursters!”

Forza is meant to be played in 3-4 lap sprints, any more than that and all the goofy confetti and copters and fireworks systems keep repeating and becomes so canned and corny. That’s why the racing is shit too after the first lap or so, as once all the drivers get into their positions, they just stay that way as they weave around the tracks in an equidistant line as they wait for you to come pick them off one by one.

It demos really well at shows, Forza has always been made this way and it’s done for game journalists who lack the skill or knowledge to play games like these for more than a few hours. They gotta get that metacritic up!! They just don’t realize yet those people and those scores don’t matter anymore, it’s all about influencers and streamers now who play games long form.

Last edited:

ShapeGSX

No, they are doing it to make things more exciting “looking”.. remember it’s Forza, the michael Bay of racing games. They mimic what others do, but turn the dial up to 11. Like with the fucking helicopters and crop dusters constantly flying overhead make the place seem like a war zone as they are strafing the drivers every other lap.

Maybe they should get the actual racing right before adding more barbecues and wavy tube men on the sidelines. Maybe start with a proper flag system.. can I get a damn checkered flag when I finish a race?! “No!!, but I’ll give you confetti bursters!”

Forza is meant to be played in 3-4 lap sprints, any more than that and all the goofy confetti and copters and fireworks systems keep repeating and becomes so canned and corny. That’s why the racing is shit too after the first lap or so, as once all the drivers get into their positions, they just stay that way as they weave around the tracks in an equidistant line as they wait for you to come pick them off one by one.

It demos really well at shows, Forza has always been made this way and it’s done for game journalists who lack the skill or knowledge to play games like these for more than a few hours. They gotta get that metacritic up!! They just don’t realize yet those people and those scores don’t matter anymore, it’s all about influencers and streamers now who play games long form.

What "confetti bursters?" I don't think I've ever seen a crop duster in Forza Motorsport, either. I think you are confusing Forza Motorsport with Forza Horizon. Have you even played Forza Motorsport?

The helicopter in Forza Motorsport is typically a camera angle. You know, like a real race.

And no reply to being obviously wrong about the tire flex. Not really surprised.

Last edited:

Turk1993

What "confetti bursters?" I don't think I've ever seen a crop duster in Forza Motorsport, either. I think you are confusing Forza Motorsport with Forza Horizon. Have you even played Forza Motorsport?

The helicopter in Forza Motorsport is typically a camera angle. You know, like a real race.

And no reply to being obviously wrong about the tire flex. Not really surprised.
I swear the more i read his replys the more i think he didn't even play Forza. All the things he state are also featured in GTS and PC2, you know the other big sims of this gen. So he hates that there is heavy rain in Forza wich you can turn of or put to light rain. He hates helicopters and confetti wich are also in other games, but he also hates the game because there are no flags at the end of the race like seriously. I really wanna now how many hours he played the game, if he did ofcourse. He hates game journalist now because the game has good scores on metacritic. Its obvious hes hating Forza because its is better reviewed than his favorite game. Like im fine if you don't like a game, everybody has different tastes. But hating on reviewers and journalist because of the score they gave is really a fanboy thing. Did it hurt you that Forza as a serie got the highest scoring racing games of this generation?

thejared

Ahhh the helicopter and camera cranes moving all over the place is used for replay camera?? Oh wait no it aint.

Maple valley plane buzzing tacky after about lap 5.

Confetti bursting Rio around that turn every lap... tacky after lap 1.

Helicopter flying in your face every lap at Laguna Seca.. total tacky shit.

Basically don’t set the career length to long, breaks the game.

Horizon 3 is bomb tho

Last edited:

Vtecomega

Banned

I am not biased as I could pick apart either game with serious flaws, but this assessment is accurate when describing forza.

psn

No, the tire deformation is not overdone. That's really what happens. This is a video of a ridiculously light car (1448lbs), and look at how much the tire deforms in the corners. Think about what a heavier car will do? You're flinging 2 tons around a corner at 1g with a flexible piece of rubber between you and the road. What do you think is going to happen? Jelly is real life.

Just because you've never hung your head outside a moving car to watch the tires deform doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And yeah, it looks a bit funny if you've never seen it before. Turn 10 got it right.

Completely different aspect ratio. I mean, those tires are balloons.

That Porsche is more like this:
porsche-997-gt3-rs-b-6.jpg

While the Westfield is closer to this:

1989-westfield-se-clubman.jpg

Of course they flex more visibly with that height to width ratio.
No one says that tire flex isn't real. But you have to compare at least a similar aspect ratio.

Last edited:

Turk1993

No one says that tire flex isn't real. But you have to compare at least a similar aspect ratio.

ShapeGSX

Here you go. This is a Mustang with low profile tires.

And a Maserati.

thelastword

Banned

Thank you, I don't think that poster portrays anything in a fair way....

6R1gOZL.gif

^^^ yeah,and Forza does absolutely NOTHING like it.
Because the movement is also nothing like the Forza clip. The Porsche in the real video is mostly straight, bouncing on the road after clipping a curb, flexing the tires into their rims. The Forza clip shows lateral flexing from drifting, with the tires bending their sidewalls, and the only time the car jumps is when it's already at a large sideways angle.

ShapeGSX

You have got to be kidding me.

You guys might be surprised at this, but it’s very difficult to find videos of real tires deforming in a corner. It’s not a common camera angle in real life. I’ve done the best that I can and posted the best ones I could find with the lowest profile tires I could find. Tires deform more than you would think they would when they are being shoved around by a 1.5 ton car at 1g. Low profile or not, we are talking inches of deflection.

I’m aware of this because I autocrossed my 400hp Eclipse GSX for years. Tires wear on the edges and even onto the sidewalls because they roll sideways in corners. You can see it after an autocross run.

I feel that Forza does a fantastic job at displaying fire deformation, and it has actually done it since Forza Motorsport 3, released back in 2009, which was pretty remarkable for running on an Xbox 360.

Polyphony didn’t model visible tire deformation until GT Sport came out.

If you guys want to say that Forza is “the worst”, show some evidence of it. If you want to say that GTS is the best (and it would have to be GTS since apparently GT6 didn’t have it), show some evidence of it. I’ve show my evidence. I’ve used my real world experience. Everything else is just talk.

Last edited:
Which promising game is in development now?

give me one per category:
-simulation
-futuristic
-arcade
-Vr
- Dunno about VR
-Simulation: F1 2018 (and not much else really)
-Futuristic: Grip (rollcage spiritual sequel)
-Arcade: Forza Horizon 4 is the obvious one, so I'll suggest Wreckfest. Already out on PC, but coming to consoles this fall.

edit: Dangerous Driving from Three-Fields Entertainment (studio founded by some former burnout guys). Although we haven't seen any footage yet, I would suggest keeping an eye out for it. This will probably replace Asphalt 8/9 as my primary Burnout fix.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Why are you people talk about visual Tyre flex when both GT and Forza don't give a shit about getting "riding on rubber" feel most of hardcore sim racers out there try to achieve ?

Both have some sort of tire flex but both don't actually take it into account which produces this "wood" feeling when you drive those cars like you drive a car on wooden wheels instead on rubber. You just don't get this "slip" effect when you feel your tires at the limit.

I with for Forza 8 that Turn10 actually will care about simulation. As a user of wheel i must say that Forza franchize has probably the worst wheel implementation from games i tried. Even older games have much better implementation and that is after supposed F7 "improvement"

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

Iv'e been playing F7 on my Xbox One as the room with my XBX has too much sun on it this time of year and i have to say i think your being a little bit dramatic regarding vehicle LOD and pop in. I'm quite confident in saying that the vehicle LOD pop in and general pop in on a standard Xbox on F7 is equal to or better than GTS on my PS PRO. I'm not saying you can't see any on XBX but it's a world away from GTS.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
It still absolutely baffles me how The Forza series replays can be so bad,lifeless and dead.
Me too, never watched a replay never been interested so i looked the other day and yes they are terrible. But also i spectated a game for the first time as i had to skip a race and could swear in was 60fps (Standard Xbox) and it looked a lot better and iv'e just tried i on XBX and is looks like 30fps to me.

psn

Here you go. This is a Mustang with low profile tires.

And a Maserati.

Don't get me wrong, I don't say it doesn't happen. But when you try to compare it to Forza, try to get a more similar video for comparison.

These are much better :)

Also: I had 255 35 19 on my 9x19 wheels and it was quite comfortable. Now I have the exact same tires on a 10x19 wheel and it is so much harder because the tire is much more stretched. I would guess that the same tire won't flex as much on a 10x19 than it does on a 9x19 wheel, because it is already stretched so much. But I don't know, might as well have not as much influence as I think it has.

Top Bottom