• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Noobcraft

Release the kraken!
Weather pls
driveclub_201412091505gydg.jpg

Anion

Ah a new page, so chrome can die another day.
Nontheless, I find driveclubs rain to be impressive. PCars in that video was good too, but DC on a PS4 was pretty darn good. Cant wait to see how much farther graphics will get

benzy

Ah a new page, so chrome can die another day.
Nontheless, I find driveclubs rain to be impressive. PCars in that video was good too, but DC on a PS4 was pretty darn good. Cant wait to see how much farther graphics will get

Guess I'm the only one with the 100 post per page setting on GAF?

Currently wringing my hands in anticipation of some up-to-date Driveclub content. The bar for dynamic weather has been set. Benzy, you know what to do.

next page baby.. next page. In the mean time

imisKHUbLEn0n.jpg

kjyuuv.jpg

Caayn

Release the kraken!
Weather pls
http://abload.de/img/driveclub_201412091505gydg.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

[quote="benzy, post: 142893613"]next page baby.. next page. In the mean time

[img]http://a.pomf.se/kjyuuv.jpg[img][/QUOTE]Photo mode?

Noobcraft

I'd be willing to try to get some FH2/DC Photomode captures (Same Model, similar color, same'ish angle, maybe same'ish lighting) if anyone wants some. It's really only good for seeing model and environment quality though because of the near perfect IQ both add to Photomode pics.

Nafai1123

Banned
The weather FX (primarily the physics driven water on the windshield) in DC are on a completely different level than the other two, but the mist coming off other cars in PCars is much better.

Photo mode?

After spending several hours with DC Photo Mode, I'll pre-empt people who may claim the photo mode snapshots are not in-game in DC, by describing what it does ..

photo-mode, if you let camera stay still, does processing.

The processing accounts for shutter speed, if that is not set to 1/8000th, and focus/aperture, if that is not set to infinity. It also softens any hard-edged shadows - most visible in sunlit pictures, it adds AA which cleans high contrast body panel joins. That's about all that is visible between no-processing and processing complete.

In the rainy day shots, if I was not playing with depth of field or shutter speed, the processing phase didn't add much to the picture and the picture looked the same as an in motion frame-grab from in-game when the camera was in a similar spot.

Caayn

Gestault

Yes, DC is still a bit weak in the spray department.

It's funny, the FH2 spray looks really good, but the effect looks too blurry, like a haze that gets kicked up more than what I'd think of as spray. Headlights highlight it too much too. I do like that particle effects are getting more attention in general this time around.

Skyzard

Banned
The weather FX (primarily the physics driven water on the windshield) in DC are on a completely different level than the other two, but the mist coming off other cars in PCars is much better.

Yep. It's another level (or 5) above.

Yes, DC is still a bit weak in the spray department.

The spray in that video is insane. Tiny bit of smoke in Assetto Corsa and the game starts dropping frames hard.

I can't see PS4 reaching that, but who knows with Evolution.
TBH makes it look impossible to drive a circuit you don't have fully memorized.
Though it looks wicked and I'm glad it's there as an option.

I meant both ;) Obviously the camera angle was a giveaway in Noobcraft's shot. In both images I quoted the IQ is way higher than normal during gameplay.

If you put the photo-mode one (full screen) next to the in-game one, the difference is very small. You can pick on aliasing on some high contrast edges, that's about all. At least, if your Image Quality scale is one that ranges down to include other rainy day driving game screens.

Gestault

This is DEEP into nitpicking territory, but in some cases, the DC water droplets on the cars look too large, like the water itself is too viscous. I'd bet it's what makes it possible for the particle system, but I keep thinking they look like tiny cars as a result.

It is amazing how they have done the raindrops on the windscreen in DC.

Reality:
fPEdmF2.jpg

notice each drop reflects an inverted fish-eye view of the scene..

the drops on the DC windshield make a reasonable fist of doing the same thing.

Nafai1123

Banned
I was reading people replying "holy shit" etc and so l thought i'd better check the video out as it must be incredible.

Just watched it and thought "OK"?

Driveclub weather update impresses me far more, in fact it was a "Holy shit" moment for me.

To be fair those responses were pre-weather update. Evolution did the graphical equivalent of dropping the mic.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Isn't photo mode for drive club basically bullshot mode?

All gameplay videos I've seen have way more egregious aliasing.

Corine

Isn't photo mode for drive club basically bullshot mode?

All gameplay videos I've seen have way more egregious aliasing.

Yeah not sure why people are posting fake photomode shots in a thread about real time gameplay graphics. They are two different things.

I was reading people replying "holy shit" etc and so l thought i'd better check the video out as it must be incredible.

Just watched it and thought "OK"?

Driveclub weather update impresses me far more, in fact it was a "Holy shit" moment for me.

Ha, yeah. I thought the same thing.

DC is just on an entirely different level with the weather update. I mean, just look at this shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-JCp2iSkbk

Gestault

Photomode or gameplay, DC is on another level.

I guess that would make the case for why non photo-mode images should suffice? I know for my part, the thread was more about real-time than composed photo-mode shots. There are some flattering shots from other games that would compare well with these, weather or no.

VanWinkle

I guess that would make the case for why non photo-mode images should suffice? I know for my part, the thread was more about real-time than composed photo-mode shots. There are some flattering shots from other games that would compare well with these, weather or no.

That's why the majority of the DC shots in here are non photo-mode. I guess some people just like the artistic licensing that photo mode grants them, though. I personally prefer gameplay shots myself, and think that's what should be in this thread, but I understand why people do it.

I think minus the weather, Project Cars looks a bit better. But with weather I think DC has the edge. Both games look fantastic though, I'm very happy I'll get to play both of them.

Yousefb

Wow these drive club images are beautiful. Is it worth spending the money on this game or should I wait for the PS+ version ?

Anything with a high bit rate and no scaling.

Check Gamersyde as they probably have high quality videos available.

I think the onus is on you to pull frames from a video on gamersyde or anywhere else, to illustrate this aliasing crime of which you speak.

Also, it should then be compared with current footage, with or without weather, because I find they've done more than applied a weather patch.

Don't forget if there was awful aliasing in the game, it would be immediately apparent in any of the up-topic non-photo mode screen shots.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think the onus is on you to pull frames from a video on gamersyde or anywhere else, to illustrate this aliasing crime of which you speak.

Also, it should then be compared with current footage, with or without weather, because I find they've done more than applied a weather patch.

Don't forget if there was awful aliasing in the game, it would be immediately apparent in any of the up-topic non-photo mode screen shots.

Posted a screenshot above. Also others have ahead proven there were no IQ improvements in the latest patch

Top Bottom