• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Anything with a high bit rate and no scaling.

Check Gamersyde as they probably have high quality videos available.

edit: here, found the main shot I remembered

ibzrPJ6IZj1S57.png

You won't see that in motion, though.
I'd say the photo mode shots better depict how that game looks than the other shots.

benzy

Anything with a high bit rate and no scaling.

Check Gamersyde as they probably have high quality videos available.

So you haven't actually seen the gamersyde vids? Which other vids did you watch where the aliasing was really bad though? I've seen the gamersyde vids and they look pretty great to me, I don't see copious amounts of aliasing.

image_driveclub-27153-2662_0004.jpg

edit: here, found the main shot I remembered

ibzrPJ6IZj1S57.png

That pic doesn't represent the AA solution for the whole game though. Objects rendering really thin lines in DC like the grass, bridge lines in the distance, or lighting highlights on car body panels will show aliasing. Besides the aliasing on the cars, it's otherwise unnoticeable when you play. The game is extremely clean for me.

Even Digital Foundry commented on this:

We've heard rumblings of improved in-game anti-aliasing for a while now as well but based on comparison shots we've generated compared to the launch version, it's difficult to conclude if there has really been any improvement. What's important to note is that DriveClub's AA is at its best in motion - stopping your car actually accentuates the game's aliasing issues.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Cuyejo

Compared to the photo mode shots totally yeah. It stood out very starkly to me.

Any idea what kind of AA they're using?

I can't say for sure, but I suspect it's similar to what was seen on Killzone Shadow Fall, a mixture of FXAA and a new AA tech developed by the Sony Tech guys called TMAA, which it is akin to temporal supersampling anti aliasing, it provides excellent AA in motion but in static scenes coverage gets negatively afffected, something Ubisoft guys tried to fix with their HRAA solution.

Posted a screenshot above. Also others have ahead proven there were no IQ improvements in the latest patch

What track is that? I drove all the Mexico tracks and couldn't find one with over-track red banners over them but maybe I missed it.

Either way, that image seems cherry picked for poor quality - but if I can locate that track position I'll post one. In most of the game time both stationary and driving, you don't see frames like that.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So you haven't actually seen the gamersyde vids? Which other vids did you watch where the aliasing was really bad though? I've seen the gamersyde vids and they look pretty great to me, I don't see copious amounts of aliasing.

image_driveclub-27153-2662_0004.jpg

That pic doesn't represent the AA solution for the whole game though. Objects rendering really thin lines in DC like the grass, bridge lines in the distance, or lighting highlights on car body panels will show aliasing. Besides the aliasing on the cars, it's otherwise unnoticeable when you play. The game is extremely clean for me.

Even Digital Foundry commented on this:

We've heard rumblings of improved in-game anti-aliasing for a while now as well but based on comparison shots we've generated compared to the launch version, it's difficult to conclude if there has really been any improvement. What's important to note is that DriveClub's AA is at its best in motion - stopping your car actually accentuates the game's aliasing issues.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Yeah, I specified the screenshot that I had in mind, the one you linked to. I had assumed I saw it in a Gamersyde video because all the high quality stills are usually photomode, I was wrong about that. It was a gaffers screen capture.

And if

evo never specified but theres temporal aspects to it

is true, that it does use some temporal AA then that definitely explains the lesser aliasing in motion.

Edit:
I can't say for sure, but I suspect it's similar to what was seen on Killzone Shadow Fall, a mixture of FXAA and a new AA tech developed by the Sony Tech guys called TMAA, which it is akin to temporal supersampling anti aliasing, it provides excellent AA in motion but in static scenes coverage gets negatively afffected, something Ubisoft guys tried to fix with their HRAA solution.

Based on the screenshots that posters are saying are in-game, non photomode, in motion, it definitely seems like a softer image, but one with a lot less aliasing. Seems like a good solution.

What track is that? I drove all the Mexico tracks and couldn't find one with over-track red banners over them but maybe I missed it.

Either way, that image seems cherry picked for poor quality - but if I can locate that track position I'll post one. In most of the game time both stationary and driving, you don't see frames like that.

Another gaffer posted it in a different driveclub thread so I don't know the track. Sorry bud!

It seems the track is different at that point now.
And despite the shot showing nothing much of the lighting abilities of the DC, it looks better too.
same time of day. Same clouds.
Better colours, less harsh contrast. Less car jaggies.

ibxmiYH7jOsVHA.jpg

This is a jpg though, can't say whether a PNG would be worse or better.

HTupolev

is true, that it does use some temporal AA then that definitely explains the lesser aliasing in motion.
Not really. TAA relies on coherency across frames, which typically causes problems in motion.

Most implementations only jitter between 2 offset sample grids, which gives them at most 2xAA when nothing is moving (in theory, this could be resolved by using a greater number of sample location offsets). In implementations that use accumulation, motion can "boost" the sampling beyond those points if the game is very liberal with coherency... but this is pretty sketchy and tends to result in strange blurring, in addition to a weird slow "unblurring" effect when the camera stops moving. This is part of why I liked ISS's IQ more than KZSF's, despite KZSF usually having less noticeable aliasing; ISS is more conservative and only uses the last frame, so even if it's not quite as smooth, it looks cleaner. But areas of the image with significant motion in ISS essentially have their TAA turned off.

It could be that DC uses an accumulation buffer for AA, although my first guess would be that it's simply taking advantage of motion blur. I'll take a look later.

edit:

DriveClub has raised paint :D

Stereoscopic proof:

4GpRKwg.jpg

B4i8dC8IcAAbwcg.jpg:orig

Raist

Banned
Isn't photo mode for drive club basically bullshot mode?

All gameplay videos I've seen have way more egregious aliasing.

Every racing game's photomode ever is bullshot mode.
DC is amongst the least offenders because it doesn't swap car models etc with insanely higher res versions. It just does several AA passes and that's it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It seems the track is different at that point now.
And despite the shot showing nothing much of the lighting abilities of the DC, it looks better too.
same time of day. Same clouds.
Better colours, less harsh contrast. Less car jaggies.

ibxmiYH7jOsVHA.jpg

This is a jpg though, can't say whether a PNG would be worse or better.

It definitely seems different from the PNG shot from earlier yeah.

Not really. TAA relies on coherency across frames, which typically causes problems in motion.

Most implementations only jitter between 2 offset sample grids, which gives them at most 2xAA when nothing is moving (in theory, this could be resolved by using a greater number of sample location offsets). In implementations that use accumulation, motion can "boost" the sampling beyond those points if the game is very liberal with coherency... but this is pretty sketchy and tends to result in strange blurring, in addition to a weird slow "unblurring" effect when the camera stops moving. This is part of why I liked ISS's IQ more than KZSF's, despite KZSF usually having less noticeable aliasing; ISS is more conservative and only uses the last frame, so even if it's not quite as smooth, it looks cleaner. But areas of the image with significant motion in ISS essentially have their TAA turned off.

It could be that DC uses an accumulation buffer for AA, although my first guess would be that it's simply taking advantage of motion blur. I'll take a look later.

edit:

DriveClub has raised paint :D

Stereoscopic proof:

4GpRKwg.jpg

B4i8dC8IcAAbwcg.jpg:orig

This is a cool post, thanks for the info - and that stereoscopic image is weird! That's such a silly bug!

benzy

I couldn't find any bumpercam gifs of FH2. :(

Comparison 1:

defddk.gif

qcspef.gif

opinrg.gif

Comparison 2:

igeycu.gif

fdinga.gif

kntsnp.gif

DC snow storm

lrktms.gif

Water flow and wipers in slow-mo

mwiuqy.gif

Raindrops reflect light

jahplo.gif

Dry environment vs wet environment.

aqwcjz.jpg

nhzqao.jpg

in-game vs. photomode

ukkgzh.jpg

ipvjdn.jpg

biesgd.jpg

afwxhx.jpg

cnzlqc.jpg

doawjz.jpg

camac002

I have to stand by my opinion that something was tweaked in the AA, at least in motion. I noticed a few things before I even realised a new patch was released on the day.
1. My favourite cars rotating in the car selection screen were less jaggy.
2. The top of steering wheels in cockpit view of my favourite cars used to annoy me with the aliasing there. Now it's mostly gone.
3. Distant cars during races show less shimmer.
But I suppose if I'm tripping balls and I psychogically think it's better then I suppose that's as good as an actual change right? :)

dankir

It is amazing how they have done the raindrops on the windscreen in DC.

Reality:
fPEdmF2.jpg

notice each drop reflects an inverted fish-eye view of the scene..

the drops on the DC windshield make a reasonable fist of doing the same thing.

Holy fucking shitballs.............. O_O

oh wait that's not in game??? damn you!

While I'm a huge DC supporter and think it takes the crown, especially considering the hardware, Forza Horizon looks pretty damn awesome. Any ridiculous gifs from that game out there?

Sini

I came across this image in console screenshots thread
B4Rk-U9CcAEzbOz.jpg:orig

Does any other game have objects that can reflect themselves? I don't think there is any.

HTupolev

Does any other game have objects that can reflect themselves? I don't think there is any.
I'm not sure which games have been configured to do so for dynamic objects (the environment certainly reflects itself in many games), but it should be simple in any engine that supports reasonably general-purpose screen-space reflections.

Such games probably show restraint largely because such reflections would look terrible for inter-reflections on high-frequency dynamic surfaces under close inspection. Especially if glossy. Too unstable.
Driving games generally do much better with screen-space reflections than other genres, you just plain get screen-space hits more consistently. But even in DC, you can see plenty of janky shenanigans when you're in a free camera in photomode. Which goes to show why I'm not a big fan of screen-space reflections in FPS games.

Yeah not sure why people are posting fake photomode shots in a thread about real time gameplay graphics. They are two different things.

Funnily enough your post just makes Driveclub that more impressive.

Simply because 90% of the pics posted are in-game. And the photo mode shots are barely any different, a little better AA and very minor shadow improvements.

Funnily enough your post just makes Driveclub that more impressive.

Simply because 90% of the pics posted are in-game. And the photo mode shots are barely any different, a little better AA and very minor shadow improvements.

I thought photo-mode made the shadows look worse? I remember seeing a comparison, and the photo-mode shadows looked a lot softer and blurry.

I may be wrong, though...

Also, @Benzy, nice job with that comparison. Those DC GIFs are unreal. The rain droplets on the windshield in the Project Cars GIF just don't cut it after seeing DC's.

ShapeGSX

I think the crazy physics of the water on the windshield in DC is mesmerizing, but it isn't all that accurate. It looks like clear jelly, it moves too fast, and obscures too much. It shouldn't really be moving up so quickly from the bottom of the windshield as that is a somewhat stagnant high air pressure area.

Again, it looks impressive. It just doesn't look right.

Real rain at the bottom of a windshield:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngg_rafW8_U#t=210

Driveclub:
http://a.pomf.se/mwiuqy.gif

I think the crazy physics of the water on the windshield in DC is mesmerizing, but it isn't all that accurate. It looks like clear jelly, it moves too fast, and obscures too much. It shouldn't really be moving up so quickly from the bottom of the windshield as that is a somewhat stagnant high air pressure area.

Driveclub:

That "heavy" rain video is a bit wimpish. Here's one with more of a jelly effect like Driveclub

http://youtu.be/WNTTf6dIygA?t=2m45s

ShapeGSX

That "heavy" rain video is a bit wimpish. Here's one with more of a jelly effect like Driveclub

http://youtu.be/WNTTf6dIygA?t=2m45s

Except it looks like it is barely raining in the Driveclub GIF:

And they still don't look all that similar. The drops of rain just become a puddle when they come together in your video. In Driveclub, they stay separate and goopy.

Again, I appreciate what they did, but it just doesn't look right. It's like the uncanny valley of water simulation. I can't stop staring at it because it's just wrong.

rashbeep

Banned
Except it looks like it is barely raining in the Driveclub GIF:

And they still don't look all that similar. The drops of rain just become a puddle when they come together in your video. In Driveclub, they stay separate and goopy.

Again, I appreciate what they did, but it just doesn't look right. It's like the uncanny valley of water simulation. I can't stop staring at it because it's just wrong.

Yea, I'm not expecting this kind of thing to be perfect at this time. The implementation still shits all over what we were seeing last gen with GT5.

I never thought I'd say this, but DC utterly destroys all other racing games visually, even Project Cars (I'll still get it though, for PC since my gtx 970 is ready)

Seriously, I think we have the game that is closest to photo-realism yet. Ofc it'll be topped soon, it's the way of life, but for now, nothing touches DC.

benzy

Great stuff there.

I will point out that that first Forza gif is right before a storm (sprinkling) and the second one is after a storm has passed (also sprinkling).

:)

How do I know? I made them, lol.

Yeah, I looked in the previous pages and used your gifs since they're great quality, should have credited you in that post, my bad. Had a hard ass time finding good gifs anywhere else. :p

Driveclub:

That DC gif is of an extreme situation though, you only get that kind of massive water movement up from the bottom in a hyper car (gif is of the Koenigsegg) and the car needs to be going at a pretty high speed or on hard turns for the water physics to react that much. It was just to show the water spreading effect.

While the water physics aren't completely realistic 1:1, it works really well for the game imo, and I think they did a pretty fantastic job in replicating the look of the water as well as the effects.

Here's an example in a non-hyper car compared to real life.

tkmxbq.gif

gdxjls.gif

I thought photo-mode made the shadows look worse? I remember seeing a comparison, and the photo-mode shadows looked a lot softer and blurry.

I may be wrong, though...

Also, @Benzy, nice job with that comparison. Those DC GIFs are unreal. The rain droplets on the windshield in the Project Cars GIF just don't cut it after seeing DC's.

Yeah, photomode sometimes softens the shadows a bit too much, other times you can't really tell any change was made.

before: http://a.pomf.se/xarsoa.jpg
after: http://a.pomf.se/aymovs.jpg

its amazing the length some people will go to downplay a superior product. nitpicking about the water simulation on the windows? when regardless of not being 100% perfect compared to real life its still so far ahead of anything any other game is doing.

Game4life

Banned
its amazing the length some people will go to downplay a superior product. nitpicking about the water simulation on the windows? when regardless of not being 100% perfect compared to real life its still so far ahead of anything any other game is doing.

Yeah. It is undeniable. Credit must be given where it is due. Driveclub has the best looking weather effects in any game ever made. Project Cars and FH2 are nowhere close.

Ok I think we have a winner until maybe GT 7 comes out. F5, FH2 or even PCars is nowhere close to how good this game looks after weather patch. If DC was on a similar PC, PCars would not have much of chance against DC.

Salute to Evo for what they have accomplished on $400 box.

Top Bottom