• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

shandy706

Yeah, I looked in the previous pages and used your gifs since they're great quality, should have credited you in that post, my bad. Had a hard ass time finding good gifs anywhere else. :p

No reason to apologize, you didn't need to credit me or anything.

I was just pointing out the conditions at the time in the .gifs, and that I knew due to being the one that created them. Wasn't a comment on you using something I did. Feel free to do so anytime. :)

Noobcraft

I can't wait for GT7... Or Forza 6. Hopefully T10 adds weather, day night cycles, and AA this time around ^_^.

I fully expect PD to get close* to Driveclub visuals @ 1080p/60 fps and with better car models. Pls Polyphony.

pixelbox

tumblr_ngip1dktgW1u4pnkzo3_1280.jpg

This shot was taken without the photo mode's effect, i.e. AA, Filters, ect. One thing I realized about the game is taking frame buffer shots while driving blurs the image by a large amount. If your not moving, you should get a great image save for some jags.

I don't expect the weather in GT7 to be impressive after their effort on PS3 which looked like crap, Drive Club is the first racing game to beat PGR4's interior effect from 2007!

aha wut?

Polyphony Digital had 256mb of vram to work their magic and almost pulled it off.
Almost pulled it off, in what world?! It was one of the worst implementations of weather I saw last gen, the worst being Race Pro, the effect was so low res and fake it was just horrible.

The only time it looked ok was in small gifs or low-res videos and they made it even worse in GT6.

Almost pulled it off, in what world?! It was one of the worst implementations of weather I saw last gen, the worst being Race Pro, the effect was so low res and fake it was just horrible.

The only time it looked ok was in small gifs or low-res videos and they made it even worse in GT6.

They were trying to do all of that with higher quality assets and a higher framerate. Who else was even attempting to do that last gen? You certainly aren't seeing Slightly Mad even attempt to put Project Cars on the PS3/360. At the end of the day, they've had their dynamic weather system completed system 2009. So they're far ahead of the field in just getting that to actually function in the game. Now it really just comes down to how good they can get it to look. And with the PS4 they aren't going to be held back with a console that's terrible at alpha effects like the PS3 was.

It seems the track is different at that point now.
And despite the shot showing nothing much of the lighting abilities of the DC, it looks better too.
same time of day. Same clouds.
Better colours, less harsh contrast. Less car jaggies.

ibxmiYH7jOsVHA.jpg

This is a jpg though, can't say whether a PNG would be worse or better.

It definitely seems different from the PNG shot from earlier yeah.
The screenshot posted earlier was one I took.

I took a few of them, one with the retail game with no patch, one was taken with patch 1.06 when people questioned if AA had improved and one was taken in the current latest patch, again as people questioned if AA had changed. Not sure which you've posted there.

They were all taken at the same time of day, with the same cloud cover and on the same Drift event with the same car, so direct comparisons of a stationary image could be determined.

As mentioned already, that doesn't account for temporal AA and the effects motion blur has.

The image you have there is a different time of day, one look at the rocks top right can tell you that. In mine the sun isn't shining on them as much and in yours it is, which is why colour differs from shot to shot.

It is also a different car and different curves and bends will create different aliasing effects.

Needs to be completely like-for-like.

tumblr_ngip1dktgW1u4pnkzo3_1280.jpg

This shot was taken without the photo mode's effect, i.e. AA, Filters, ect. One thing I realized about the game is taking frame buffer shots while driving blurs the image by a large amount. If your not moving, you should get a great image save for some jags.

Good fucking lord! I need this game
inside me
so bad.

DC has some beautifully implemented effects, especially the weather. It looks great in the sreenshots with the extra AA and in gifs but I think less so in full screen footage and in direct screen buffer screenshots.

But generally speaking it can't compete overall with PCars which can do most of what it does at 60 fps and with insane levels of AA etc on PC.

Noobcraft

DC has some beautifully implemented effects, especially the weather. It looks great in the sreenshots with the extra AA and in gifs but I think less so in full screen footage and in direct screen buffer screenshots.

But generally speaking it can't compete overall with PCars which can do most of what it does at 60 fps and with insane levels of AA etc on PC.
I think the only technical thing DC will have on the PC version of Project Cars is physics based weather effects (the raindrops surrounding the car are all particles, the windshield effects are somewhat faked though) and lighting (it's hands down some of the most realistic lighting I've seen in a game)

1. pcars does very little of what driveclub does.
2. you need sli/crossfire to hit 60 fps even at 1080p w/ no aa in pcars.

GameSeeker

On the same platform (i.e., PS4) DC will crush PCars. Not surprising, given it's 30fps vs. 60fps. PCars will look great on my gaming PC, but if there was a PC version of DC it would crush PCars on the PC.

Game4life

Banned
DC has the best looking weather in any racing game ever made after this patch. Its alright to accept that without any sort of insecurities. PC cars on PC does not look as good. It is doing 60 fps so there is that but from a visuals perspective nope it simply is not in the same league.

DC has the best looking weather in any game ever made after this patch. Its alright to accept that without any sort of insecurities. PC cars on PC does not look as good. It is doing 60 fps so there is that but from a visuals perspective nope it simply is not in the same league.

FTFY. :p

thelastword

Banned
I don't expect the weather in GT7 to be impressive after their effort on PS3 which looked like crap, Drive Club is the first racing game to beat PGR4's interior effect from 2007!
GT7 is my most anticipated racing game after driveclub. I look at what polyphony did with 256mb of ram, a tough as nails cpu and limited bandwidth in the Ps3, yet they were able to do gt5 at 1280* 1080p and gt6 at 1440 *1080p. I'm sure they would have a solid 60fps in all scenarios if they only focused on 720p.

I believe that GT7 will set the bar for graphics when it debuts at 1080p-60fps, and I'm saying that despite the fact that driveclub is the best-looking game on the market right now. Pd now has the bandwidth and the ram, they can go gung-ho with highres textures and details for tracks, they could also go gung-ho with high res-effects, like smoke,exhaust, rain particles and all that comes with weather, rally tracks ( dry or muddy), snow tracks, wet night city tracks with PD's lighting (drools).

Certain effects in Gt5 caused the game to lose a couple of frames at odd times, I believe we're now beyond these days. I watch the weather in driveclub and it's just so voluminous and insane.

They were trying to do all of that with higher quality assets and a higher framerate. Who else was even attempting to do that last gen? You certainly aren't seeing Slightly Mad even attempt to put Project Cars on the PS3/360. At the end of the day, they've had their dynamic weather system completed system 2009. So they're far ahead of the field in just getting that to actually function in the game. Now it really just comes down to how good they can get it to look. And with the PS4 they aren't going to be held back with a console that's terrible at alpha effects like the PS3 was.
Just because they attempted it doesn't make it look any better, we are talking purely about visuals here nothing more. The dynamic weather may well have been impressive technically but if we are going to talk about amazing dynamic weather last-gen then the Codemasters F1 games take that crown handily, it's just a crying shame they didn't even attempt to implement it in Grid: Autosport!

Now what I think will be impressive with GT7 is the lighting because that is one thing that was phenomenal in GT5 that they implemented a fully dynamic system, even Forza 5's baked crap can't compare, that is one area where 7 will be mind blowing.

GT7 is my most anticipated racing game after driveclub. I look at what polyphony did with 256mb of ram, a tough as nails cpu and limited bandwidth in the Ps3, yet they were able to do gt5 at 1280* 1080p and gt6 at 1440 *1080p. I'm sure they would have a solid 60fps in all scenarios if they only focused on 720p.

I believe that GT7 will set the bar for graphics when it debuts at 1080p-60fps, and I'm saying that despite the fact that driveclub is the best-looking game on the market right now. Pd now has the bandwidth and the ram, they can go gung-ho with highres textures and details for tracks, they could also go gung-ho with high res-effects, like smoke,exhaust, rain particles and all that comes with weather, rally tracks ( dry or muddy), snow tracks, wet night city tracks with PD's lighting (drools).

Certain effects in Gt5 caused the game to lose a couple of frames at odd times, I believe we're now beyond these days. I watch the weather in driveclub and it's just so voluminous and insane.
There is no doubt it will easily be the best looking racing game ever, however they really need to overhaul a lot of things for me to be interested again, I skipped GT6 because the same formula has grown tired IMO, though I thought 5's career was much better than Forza 4 and it's inane event list if you wanted to complete everything.

Sound for one needs to be completely redone from the ground up, I couldn't deal with listening to the same horrid tyre squeal noises constantly again especially when the audio in most other racing games is so good these days.

thelastword

Banned

So many non-photo shots show how impressive the game looks, yet you believe it only looks good in gifs and photomode. Hnnng!

Yet, here you are talking about Project Cars, it would seem I've been hearing about this game for almost a decade now, why don't they release it, let it come under scrutiny already. I'm talking about the console version, didn't realize it was already out on PC as you implied in your post.

Furnace Inferno said:
There is no doubt it will easily be the best looking racing game ever, however they really need to overhaul a lot of things for me to be interested again, I skipped GT6 because the same formula has grown tired IMO, though I thought 5's career was much better than Forza 4 and it's inane event list if you wanted to complete everything.

Sound for one needs to be completely redone from the ground up, I couldn't deal with listening to the same horrid tyre squeal noises constantly again especially when the audio in most other racing games is so good these days.

I agree, it needs an overhaul. The sound work needs to be brand new, the excessive tire-screeching has been there since GT1 and it needs to be improved. Personally, I believe they are aware and are unto it. The Menu system and career was massively improved in GT6, load times was much better and physics improved. I could understand how they could not focus on overhauling the sound too much in Gt6, but it did improve somewhat.

I guess we agree that there's no need to worry about graphics and of course the driving model. What I don't want are ps2/ps3 level cars and tracks in gt7, if people want to play non-premium cars and tracks, they should play gt5/6. I want a brand new game, with brand new tracks, brand new cars, brand new physics and sound built ground up for the PS4. I don't care that it will not have a million cars, 300-400 cars is more than enough. I want to race premium Ps4 cars on PS4 premium tracks on a Ps4 premium engine. Take all that cross-gen stuff out of PS4 GT7 please. I didn't buy a PS4 to play Ps3/Ps2 assets.

Corine

1. pcars does very little of what driveclub does.
2. you need sli/crossfire to hit 60 fps even at 1080p w/ no aa in pcars.

1. DC isn't doing anything close to what Project Cars is doing. DC is a straight up arcade racer with only 12 cars in online. Project Cars is a full sim with over 30+ cars in online with higher poly count models. Project Cars is doing much much more than DC is. DC has some nice weather, but it's lacking in a lot of other areas like IQ, texture resolution, damage, etc, etc, etc.

2. No you don't.

1. DC isn't doing anything close to what Project Cars is doing. DC is a straight up arcade racer with only 12 cars in online. Project Cars is a full sim with over 30+ cars in online with higher poly count models. Project Cars is doing much much more than DC is. DC has some nice weather, but it's lacking in a lot of other areas like IQ, texture resolution, damage, etc, etc, etc.

2. No you don't.

1. lol.

2. yes you do

just took these shots in Grid Autosport at 4K w/ texture pack (PC). GOOD LORD.

i fail to see whats impressive about running a ps360 title at 4k. btw the texture pack is near worthless

1. lol.

2. yes you do

You really don't. I play on my iMac at 1080p60 as long as I settle for medium settings

For what it's worth though the rain effects in driveclub in car are leagues above pcars even on the highest settings, no question. The windshield rain effects in pcars are basic

You really don't. I play on my iMac at 1080p60 as long as I settle for medium settings

For what it's worth though the rain effects in driveclub in car are leagues above pcars even on the highest settings, no question. The windshield rain effects in pcars are basic

its pretty clear i was referring to highest setting w/ no AA. pcars looks even worse once you start lowering the settings. the entire reflection system(which is already quite poor to begin with) becomes downright abysmal. and when it comes to IQ, well it takes an ENORMOUS amt of gpu power to surpass whats on offer in DC.

its pretty clear i was referring to highest setting w/ no AA. pcars looks even worse once you start lowering the settings. the entire reflection system(which is already quite poor to begin with) becomes downright abysmal. and when it comes to IQ, well it takes an ENORMOUS amt of gpu power to surpass whats on offer in DC.

My apologies missed that although I'd be surprised if I didn't get close to 60 with no AA, recent builds have performed really well for me

My apologies missed that although I'd be surprised if I didn't get close to 60 with no AA, recent builds have performed really well for me

dont get me wrong, on certain tracks under certain conditions you definitely could. im talking about the game as a whole. its a similar situation to bf4 on ps4.

Yep it certainly wouldn't be solid.

For what it's worth purely graphics wise I think the best of Driveclub will always beat the best of PCars.

eso76

I came across this image in console screenshots thread
B4Rk-U9CcAEzbOz.jpg:orig

Does any other game have objects that can reflect themselves? I don't think there is any.

No other game does that, or cars reflecting each other.
Before DC those were evidences that would give bullshots away.

HTupolev

Nice shots, I hope Poliphony are not mad enough to render at 4k or perhaps 2k.
I doubt they'd bother; GT5/6's 1080-line modes weren't really intended for supersampling, but for a decent upscale to 1080p displays.

For targeting 1080p displays they'll probably stick with 1080p at most and go with more efficient AA methods, just like they handled GT5's 720p mode.

I won't mind some supersampling from 2k though.
"2K" is a blanket term for a range of resolutions that includes 1920x1080. If they "render at 2K", they'd hardly be "supersampling."

This is such a fun thread. So much lovely bits of cars and tracks in detail.

If anyone has a request, I can max my settings in the Elgato Game Capture softwae and record a specific vehicle (or two) on specific track(s) and daytime / weather conditions.

Previously, it was revealed that PC on the console edition would have 60k polys per car, Driveclub has about 250k.

However, it isn't about polygons anymore it is about material effects, shaders and self-reflections etc and even if a PC version of Project Cars can be cranked up to 250k polys per car, the shader quality and reflectivity is more simplistic.

Show a project cars close-up video that exhibits how one rear light pod is made up of 3d modelled internal reflective surfaces, transparent lens covers, etc? Maybe it has that kind of detail but that has been far from obvious on the videos I've seen of PC.

Kolgar

So it seems like Drive club, updated of course, wins by far?

From a technical standpoint, most likely yes on consoles.

In my own experience, Driveclub hasn't lived up to the hype, fantastic rain effects aside. The cars look gorgeous in the short animation that plays when you enter the cars before the races, but the pre-release teaser videos had me expecting an experience on a whole other level.

When I factor in the open-world nature of certain other games, DC comes up wanting.

Javin98

Banned
So it seems like Drive club, updated of course, wins by far?
In terms of overall visual fidelity, hell yeah! Aside from its unrivalled weather effects, Drive Club has real time global illumination, really good looking foliage, cars reflecting themselves and some really nice shaders

ShutterMunster

I've still yet to see any footage from PCars that impresses me more than what I see in DRIVECLUB. What it's doing under the hood is irrelevant to a conversation designed to be solely about graphics. The game simply doesn't look as good. Why it doesn't is besides the point.

I've still yet to see any footage from PCars that impresses me more than what I see in DRIVECLUB. What it's doing under the hood is irrelevant to a conversation designed to be solely about graphics. The game simply doesn't look as good. Why it doesn't is besides the point.

its doing much less under the hood in terms of graphics. extremely low poly tracks with flat billboard trees everywhere. very poor shadows and shadow filtering. low res and glitchy/broken implementation of SSR(seems to just completely lack occluders), complete lack of any type of physically correct rendering or simulation, very low res sun rays that exhibit extreme banding and artifacting, no volumetric cloud system, no global illumination, it goes on and on.

Corine

its doing much less under the hood in terms of graphics. extremely low poly tracks with flat billboard trees everywhere. very poor shadows and shadow filtering. low res and glitchy/broken implementation of SSR(seems to just completely lack occluders), complete lack of any type of physically correct rendering or simulation, very low res sun rays that exhibit extreme banding and artifacting, no volumetric cloud system, no global illumination, it goes on and on.

Don't act like you can't make the same kind of list about Driveclub which also features "extremely" low poly tracks with bland scenery, really low resolution textures, no 16xAF, "extremely" poor AA and IQ all around, 1/3 the cars on screen, very weak damage modeling, 1/2 the framerate, and it goes on and on. Why tell ya though when I can just show you.

driveclub-tracks1.jpg

2680478-hdpvr2_20141004_165007.jpg

xxgb.jpg

3CgMHV.jpg

Game's not in the same league as Project Cars.

project-cars-screen-9.jpg

0262.jpg

Top Bottom