• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Yeah, the grass gives it away in that one.

And in the other picture the
black
car is real. The biggest differences are the missing self shadows inside the headlight, the lack of that rainbow effect and also the lack of self reflections. Hopefully they'll be able to do all of those things in GT7. (I think DC already does all of that)

And in the black car's headlight you can see the reflection of the person taking the photo!

I've given the last few pages a read and it I don't think it's fair to compare Drive Club to any PC game. Better to compare the PS4 version of Project Cars to Drive Club because hopefully, PCars on PS4 will be 60fps and we will see what effect that has on the image quality.

hehe go type in "tree shadows" into google and you'll find hundreds of pictures like that. Took me seconds to see pic after pic of exactly the same thing. Really shows how realistic these guys have made Project Cars. Kudos to them.
Yeah...I'm not seeing any real life photos with blocky leaf shadows, sorry. :/

Corine

Yeah...I'm not seeing any real life photos with blocky leaf shadows, sorry. :/

We're talking about the sharpness of the silhouettes. Both of them have blocky leaf shadows depending on the angle you're looking at. They both cast silhouettes differently though and there's plenty of real life pictures of the way Project Cars does it.

benzy

We're talking about the sharpness of the silhouettes. Both of them have blocky leaf shadows depending on the angle you're looking at. They both cast silhouettes differently though and there's plenty of real life pictures of the way Project Cars does it.

I've never seen a tree canopy shadow look this blocky and hard though.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7537/15916003495_1432e297e3_k.jpg

kwbtsk.jpg

Noobcraft

Blocky shadows aren't specific to any racer really...
driveclub_20141010160mni25.jpg

driveclub_20141010161p9a2l.jpg

I don't have any pictures pics showing them in Forza Horizon 2 but it has them too under trees.

#MaybeNextGen

Oppo

those aren't shadows above. those are internal reflections on the windscreen (sunlight flickering through trees).

benzy

Really? It's not ideal, but considering how closely we're zooming in, it doesn't strike me as particularly bad, from what I've played in the genre. I've seen pretty bad out there.

iuGusUCNWuJgb.gif

I'm talking about in real life, since that's what I assume what I quoted was being compared to.

Corine said:
. Both of them have blocky leaf shadows depending on the angle you're looking at. They both cast silhouettes differently though and there's plenty of real life pictures of the way Project Cars does it.

GT6 has them bad but those flickering shadows in the distance are farther from the camera and due to crappy LOD filtering. The pCars one is the closest shadow to the camera.

15916003495_1432e297e3_k.jpg

Blocky shadows aren't specific to any racer really...
driveclub_20141010160mni25.jpg

driveclub_20141010161p9a2l.jpg

I don't have any pictures pics showing them in Forza Horizon 2 but it has them too under trees.

#MaybeNextGen

Isn't that due to the low-res nature of the windscreen reflections? The environment shadows don't look anything like that though and that's what everybody was arguing about.

hsgfco.jpg

Noobcraft

Isn't that due to the low-res nature of the windscreen reflections? The environment shadows don't look anything like that though and that's what everybody was arguing about.

hsgfco.jpg
Probably. I've only noticed them on the India tracks so it might be a combination of the windshield and the type of foliage.

This thread is a shadow of its former self.
Pretty much. The only racers I can think of coming in the next year are Project Cars and (probably) Forza 6 and until then there isn't much to say other than nitpicking.

Flappy

Banned
Older gen face-offs were more interesting because games like Forza and GT were quite close in visual quality. But right now DriveClub is basically just beating chunks of flesh into the ground.

adelante

look at the areas i circled in red, and provide me with a photo of a tree in real life casting a shadow like that

1lgq0s.jpg

I was referring to your comment about there being no such thing as hard shadows in real-life because frankly, that's just crazy talk. In fact, quality of shadows in real-life are dependant on variety of factors (time of day, how close the object is to the surface, bounced lighting, etc). While PCars display predominantly hard shadows, Driveclub isn't perfect either with soft shadows for every object, even when the time of day is set to sunset, where shadows should gradually soften as distance from casting object increase (most recent game that features that is Assassin's Creed Unity? It's an Nvidia exclusive feature I think).

ss_lemonade

It's not even that close. The shaders and lighting gave it away. These ones are closer though:

untitled-52nqhr.jpg
I just got a PS4 + DC for Christmas and I noticed that Driveclub seems to emulate that rainbow sheen on headlights, just like that real life pic above. Kinda blew my mind when I saw that

I just got a PS4 + DC for Christmas and I noticed that Driveclub seems to emulate that rainbow sheen on headlights, just like that real life pic above. Kinda blew my mind when I saw that

Yes, two Driveclub details, from the 51:

33. Headlights are modelled using multiple layers of reflectors and lenses that realistically reflect and refract the bulbs shining beneath.

34. Rainbow specular highlight effects can be seen in headlight lenses because thin film interference is utilized.

i never said DC had perfect shadows, but all shadows being soft is a HUGE step forward from the flickering PCF style shadows in pcars(and these examples are the lowest lod shadow available, imagine how awful it looks in the distance). they are quite bad and in motion its even worse. and the hard shadow in DC on the windshield reflection is a corner case and is not replicated in the environment.

I was referring to your comment about there being no such thing as hard shadows in real-life because frankly, that's just crazy talk. In fact, quality of shadows in real-life are dependant on variety of factors (time of day, how close the object is to the surface, bounced lighting, etc). While PCars display predominantly hard shadows, Driveclub isn't perfect either with soft shadows for every object, even when the time of day is set to sunset, where shadows should gradually soften as distance from casting object increase (most recent game that features that is Assassin's Creed Unity? It's an Nvidia exclusive feature I think).

a tree canopy shadow will NEVER look hard edged like in pcars, that is a fact.

15916003495_1432e297e3_k.jpg

never

jpbonadio

Banned
The only problem with Driveclub is that it looks too good.

Seriously, pCars, GT7 and any racing game for this entire generation, will have a hard time trying to beat DC visuals.

I know Polyphony Digital are wizards, but Evo set the bar too high with DC.

B5_EU-qIUAAOFva.jpg:orig

B5_ELhkIMAEP4Hz.jpg:orig

B5_ArkZIIAA1hre.jpg:orig

B5bkJ7qIUAA8OxN.jpg:orig

B5_AlglIIAAuJD6.jpg:orig

All ingame.

R8TEDM3

^ Lovely DC captures:) some pCARS pic's from me! Also don't think that the DC set the bar too high, just because pCARS looks just as good if not better, while still under development!

13011502135_1232314473_k.jpg

13299119653_1ac8ba9cf6_o.jpg

15055885899_23ed850593_k.jpg

14613895684_869833c414_k.jpg

12806928805_f5044d484b_o.jpg

14708813410_c756e0f39b_k.jpg

14513121498_3de38ea1e2_o.jpg

12896226334_b44bcb2123_o.jpg

14684259343_653e218c42_k.jpg

14624256975_121f112dea_k.jpg

14621052781_5964e24e53_k.jpg

As usual, all non-gameplay angled shots zoomed in on the car with everything else hidden or blurred out. also lowest resolution SSR ive ever seen.

iMRnqmKQ1RKAr.jpg

kKFiGpz.jpg

Bgjk0DF.jpg

QJVFzks.jpg

bDsdfiU.jpg

o0u01rC.jpg

driveclub_201412131046ki07.jpg

PK8h5JJ.jpg

10714401_1514739388778450_3072901395561412558_o.jpg

15793950347_e765f51624_o.jpg

S1oeems.jpg

5w4fylH.jpg

vCTLCvY.jpg

Corine

^ Lovely DC captures:) some pCARS pic's from me! Also don't think that the DC set the bar too high, just because pCARS looks just as good if not better, while still under development!

Wow just amazing pics. Really shows Project Cars is on another level. I've never seen real time shots in racing game that good. Every other racing game needs a fake photomode to do shots that come close to that.

DC still looks more impressive and "natural". pCars still looks like a game. But DC can fool you really good by looking very close to real life. I think the lighting in DC is the best and its because of this amazing lighting that it looks much more close to real life lighting. If DC was on a PC and running at 60fps, there would be no discussion.

The tree shadows in the puddle looks like something from Minecraft lol

DC still looks more impressive and "natural". pCars still looks like a game. But DC can fool you really good by looking very close to real life. I think the lighting in DC is the best and its because of this amazing lighting that it looks much more close to real life lighting. If DC was on a PC and running at 60fps, there would be no discussion.

The tree shadows in the puddle looks like something from Minecraft lol

the SSR in pcars is horrible

Corine

As usual, all non-gameplay angled shots zoomed in on the car with everything else hidden or blurred out. also lowest resolution SSR ive ever seen.

[

Those shots you posted should be put in the photomode thread and left out of a thread about real time graphics. This thread is about what the games look like without added graphical effects that can't be used while playing.

Sini

No they don't. DC photomode adds all sorts of effects that aren't possible during gameplay. Project Cars does none of that it's all real time.
Lmao wow. DC photomode only adds post process AA and softens shadows the farther they are from objects.

No they don't. DC photomode adds all sorts of effects that aren't possible during gameplay. Project Cars does none of that it's all real time.

DC "alleged" fake shot
15793950347_e765f51624_o.jpg

DC gameplay
B5_EU-qIUAAOFva.jpg:orig

pcars non-gameplay

pcars gameplay
1lgq0s.jpg

lol @ that framerate to graphics ratio. based on the posters refusal to answer any questions about what gpu was running it its safe to say it was pretty high end

R8TEDM3

The shots i posted look far, far, faaaaaar closer to what actual gameplay looks like than the pcars photos

Actually you're wrong there, pCARS shots are the real 100% gameplay pic's, as there is no "photomode" implemented in the game...yet!

What you see is what you get real-time, and it's all done by playing, pausing the game, and finding a angle you like and taking a shot...that's it!

No additional AA, or any kind of post processing added whatsoever!

Trace

Banned

Assuming the shots aren't being edited with aperture settings and things of that nature, the only thing Driveclub photomode adds is supersampling. It's one of the most conservative approaches to photomode I've seen.

Boogdud

Lmao wow. DC photomode only adds post process AA and softens shadows the farther they are from objects.

Yeah, honestly sometimes the photo mode looks worse than real-time with DC.

In project cars the models look great but the environments look almost a generation behind at times.

23qwerty

Assuming the shots aren't being edited with aperture settings and things of that nature, the only thing Driveclub photomode adds is supersampling. It's one of the most conservative approaches to photomode I've seen.

It doesn't supersample, it adds AA, that's about it.

Corine

The only thing added in DC with photomode is AA, everything else is exactly the same.

Nope it adds better AA, motion blur & Bokeh DoF + cosmetic filters, and also soft shadows. Either way it's not able to run those shots in real time and this thread is about real time graphics.

it was posted by a fan of pcars to show how good it looks. yes its real.

We can all cherry pick shots to make a game look bad. This one is 100% real time Driveclub:

3CgMHV.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Having recently purchased Drive Club on impulse it does indeed look fantastic. It's very contextual though, like a lot of games. Some assets look rubbish and the lighting looks weak on some tracks. I fucking hate how tunnels tend to look too. There's this one stone tunnel that looks almost like they forgot to bake or include any lighting, giving it a gross flat lit unfinished look. Drive Club, like a lot of games, also hides its blemishes through motion blur and smearing the screen in all kinds of shit. It just so happens that the shit is "natural" effects that for most part enhance the immersion.

Console racing games will always suffer from the hardware ceiling. Drive Club will be stuck at that resolution with that image quality, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, and LOD. Project Cars will have the long term advantage of just piling more shit on the engine and assets and making it as detailed as possible without any real limitation. Driving games almost always sacrifice AA, AF, and environment asset quality that you'll speed part in order to keep the framerate stable. In theory something like Project Cars could have crazy detailed environment assets that no system could reasonable run at 60fps, just for when systems exist that could.

Actually you're wrong there, pCARS shots are the real 100% gameplay pic's, as there is no "photomode" implemented in the game...yet!

What you see is what you get real-time, and it's all done by playing, pausing the game, and finding a angle you like and taking a shot...that's it!

No additional AA, or any kind of post processing added whatsoever!

you can do exactly the same in DC

Nope it adds better AA, motion blur & Bokeh DoF + cosmetic filters, and also soft shadows. Either way it's not able to run those shots in real time and this thread is about real time graphics.

We can all cherry pick shots to make a game look bad. This one is 100% real time Driveclub:

3CgMHV.jpg

me using an image posted by a supported of pcars to show off its graphics is cherry picking?

even using your screenshot which you claim is cherry picked to make DC look bad, lets compare

1lgq0s.jpg

3CgMHV.jpg

yurinka

Btw, I'd suggest something for this 'I have the biggest penis' battle : how about trying to take the most similar screenshot in DC and PCars?
With the same car, the typical gameplay 3rd person gameplay view, in a typical circuit track, with no extra photomode filters.
There is no competition, Driveclub looks best.
Came here to say this, specially in lighting, shadows resulting in more natural, realistic colors.

I'd like to mention that some DC weather shots seem to have suffered this xDD ->
RandyMarsh.jpg

^actually, in those 2 pics, pCARS looks more realistic. Driveclub looks like clay sculpted garbo especially when you stop and it doesn't have the motion blur covering it up.

Top Bottom