• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Again, the shadows are missing (and the ones that are present are squares) because of the game glitching out at the camera height, so the lighting looks very flat. The screenshots are just to show the modelled city.

Since there's no convincing you when all you do is post this, there's no point in furthering this talk.

......DC environments

1E2f0Zz.jpg

bkqnW2E.jpg

Ps0uyXU.jpg

KE811nD.jpg

15793950347_e765f51624_o.jpg

N25io9L.jpg

SykMskg.jpg

21vALeg.jpg

3Nt12j9.jpg

Well it's not a track though. That's an environmental detail he said.

Exactly. I think some people missed the part where I mentioned that. Of course a city track that's intended to be seen and driven through is going to look better than an inaccessible detail in another game.

Exactly. I think some people missed the part where I mentioned that. Of course a city track that's intended to be seen and driven through is going to look better than an inaccessible detail in another game.

then why dont you post some shots of the great environmental detail you keep doing on and on about?

then why did you make an excuse for them looking terrible shortly after you posted them?

I made an "excuse" for the lack of shadows. The shadows weren't the focal point of the pictures. I didn't make a single excuse for the details shown in the pictures.

You think they look terrible, good for you.

Are we done here?

benzy

Will be interesting to see what environment Evo goes for on DC for the sixth location. Would be fantastic to see a city locale.

Evo actually already modeled a city in Sinclair Pass Canada. It's huge too, but it seems to only serve as a backdrop considering there's a huge ass house the size of a building. If they work on it a bit it could be used as a track location. :fingerscrossed.

qrdvtv.jpg

vhvvhg.jpg

sganzf.jpg

Yiazmat

Well it's not a track though. That's an environmental detail he said.

Fair enough. In that case, I guess this would be a better example:

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/772/7728024/2391495-5492017344-ronda.jpg

......DC environments
3Nt12j9.jpg

Holy shit

DC, to me, is the best looking racing game I've seen. It has that photorealistic look to it, and it looks more "organic", if that makes sense.

Though I really wish Evo would allow for internal screenshots and exporting like GT and Forza do.

Noobcraft

Fair enough. In that case, I guess this would be a better example:

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/772/7728024/2391495-5492017344-ronda.jpg
When you could glitch under the map and drive forever in GT5 I found out that Polyphony included miles of Google Earth (or similar) GPS footage outside of the Nurburgring. Stuff you'd never really see but it was all there. It even had elevation changes (really crude geometry you could just clip through) but it was super cool. I'm pumped to see what they can do with GT7.

VanWinkle

Racing fans on all platforms have a great visual showcase or multiple showcases. I can't wait to start playing my copy of FH2 I got for Christmas (I've played the demo, but it's was pretty limited). I've really been enjoying DC and it's visuals still wow me almost every time I play. Wii U has MK8 which doesn't impress me an insane amount, but I still find myself pretty happy with it; really nice lighting and environment detail, brought down quite a bit by not having any AA and only being 720p.

I am impressed by pCARS visuals from the large amount of screens and videos I've seen. However, I don't have a great PC for gaming, and I'm really not much into sims. I still like seeing it, purely for the visuals, though.

Noobcraft

Racing fans on all platforms have a great visual showcase or multiple showcases. I can't wait to start playing my copy of FH2 I got for Christmas (I've played the demo, but it's was pretty limited). I've really been enjoying DC and it's visuals still wow me almost every time I play. Wii U has MK8 which doesn't impress me an insane amount, but I still find myself pretty happy with it; really nice lighting and environment detail, brought down quite a bit by not having any AA.

I am impressed by pCARS visuals from the large amount of screens and videos I've seen. However, I don't have a great PC for gaming, and I'm really not much into sims. I still like seeing it, purely for the visuals, though.
MK8 is super impressive to me considering its running at 60fps on what's basically an Xbox 360. Some of the effects in that game (the lighting) are top tier.

VanWinkle

MK8 is super impressive to me considering its running at 60fps on what's basically an Xbox 360. Some of the effects in that game (the lighting) are top tier.

True. I guess I forgot to take the fact that it's 60fps into considering. It is pretty impressive, especially considering the hardware.

R8TEDM3

Just a few pic's from pCARS, also i don't want this to turn into a DC vs pCARS at all....but lets just say they both look really good imo. But if i'm gonna be completely honest, cars look better in pCARS, while environments are simply stunning in DC! With that said, DC is a finished product after all, while pCARS is still under development, and we should wait until it's finished before declaring a winner!!!

Someone said something that pCars doesn't look realistic, well how about this then, one is real life, and one is pCars! Can you guess which one?

10656289444_883256a26f_k.jpg

10655948126_e5639b7f96_k.jpg

and some enviroments/track shots as well...

12162974334_e4c6409db3_k.jpg

12163222596_c2565a286c_k.jpg

12162999794_4814c43b4e_k.jpg

10630258035_c8df478f8e_k.jpg

10630270734_8e9442cdd4_k.jpg

10630280184_30a30e4cdf_k.jpg

10594353426_e7a9415e7c_k.jpg

10526427336_196469628f_k.jpg

9874038366_e2bfb467e4_k.jpg

9710159204_2c82394e47_k.jpg

9412728846_a3ecf3b5e3_k.jpg

15363779566_b565f00983_k.jpg

15200214578_0677ccb688_k.jpg

15140568408_a83d3394ec_k.jpg

15326482182_069ce126c8_k.jpg

15025611107_6045904284_k.jpg

13415399475_10d4423633_k.jpg

14529152733_68070a9b15_k.jpg

14892428411_184fa3e16a_k.jpg

14740267633_f7bd0c23a6_k.jpg

In the end, i'm gonna enjoy both games as they are both fantastic!

Just a few pic's from pCARS, also i don't want this to turn into a DC vs pCARS at all....but lets just say they both look really good imo. But if i'm gonna be completely honest, cars look better in pCARS, while environments are simply stunning in DC! With that said, DC is a finished product after all, while pCARS is still under development, and we should wait until it's finished before declaring a winner!!!

Someone said something that pCars doesn't look realistic, well how about this then, one is real life, and one is pCars! Can you guess which one?

i would hope anyone with decent vision can tell. pcars does do cars well, but nothing else is a patch on DC.

benzy

When you could glitch under the map and drive forever in GT5 I found out that Polyphony included miles of Google Earth (or similar) GPS footage outside of the Nurburgring. Stuff you'd never really see but it was all there. It even had elevation changes (really crude geometry you could just clip through) but it was super cool. I'm pumped to see what they can do with GT7.

Yeah, PD stopped using 2D backdrops and started rendering miles and miles of land mass with textures for their new environments. Wax Free Vanilla has a firmware mod giving him a debug camera in GT6. They obviously created some high quality assets and tried to scale them down for the ps3.

Willow Springs
granturismo6_101qajw.png

granturismo6_9v0blb.png

Bathurst
granturismo6_1143zu8.png

Nurburgring
granturismo6_7t1xu7.png

GameSeeker

DriveClub vs. Project Cars isn't a fair comparison. DriveClub is 30fps vs. PCars at 60fps and consequently it looks far better than PCars on equivalent hardware. It's not even a close contest.

Comparing PCars on a $3,000 PC vs. DriveClub on a PS4 is a bogus comparison. If we had a PC version of DriveClub it would stomp all over the PC version of PCars.

For a 60fps racer, PCars looks like it may take the graphical crown vs. other PC racers. On the console side, it's not clear if PCars will beat the console competition (Forza 5, and next year's Forza 6 and sometime in the next decade, GT7).

Corine

Wow just amazing how realistic Project Cars looks! It's like those Real life vs Project Cars vids in the Project Cars thread. Just amazing how close they are getting it.

DriveClub vs. Project Cars isn't a fair comparison. DriveClub is 30fps vs. PCars at 60fps and consequently it looks far better than PCars on equivalent hardware. It's not even a close contest.

Comparing PCars on a $3,000 PC vs. DriveClub on a PS4 is a bogus comparison. If we had a PC version of DriveClub it would stomp all over the PC version of PCars.

For a 60fps racer, PCars looks like it may take the graphical crown vs. other PC racers. On the console side, it's not clear if PCars will beat the console competition (Forza 5, and next year's Forza 6 and sometime in the next decade, GT7).

30 fps v 60 fps is irrelevant when pcars has over triple the gpu power available to it

VanWinkle

Yeah, PD stopped using 2D backdrops and started rendering miles and miles of land mass with textures for their new environments.

Really? I haven't played GT6 but I have watched videos, and I assumed it still used 2D backdrops.

So, for example, this is actual geometry in the background?

iFVUVfttpOtVW.PNG

If so, I'm honestly really impressed.

HTupolev

Pcars definitely has a realistic target style, and it's fairly impressive, but this is definitely set up to backfire.
The top one
is clearly pcars.

benzy

Really? I haven't played GT6 but I have watched videos, and I assumed it still used 2D backdrops.

So, for example, this is actual geometry in the background?

iFVUVfttpOtVW.PNG

If so, I'm honestly really impressed.

Yeah, those mountains are all geometry. If you zoom in close in photomode you can see the polygons.

granturismo6_18dsur1.png

dchwnb.jpg

wswesc.jpg

Yiazmat

In the first two pics, the grass kinda gives it away. The second of the two is the real one.
right?

As for the third pic, I honestly can't tell between the two.
Yeah, the grass gives it away in that one.

And in the other picture the
black
car is real. The biggest differences are the missing self shadows inside the headlight, the lack of that rainbow effect and also the lack of self reflections. Hopefully they'll be able to do all of those things in GT7. (I think DC already does all of that)

Yeah, the grass gives it away in that one.

And in the other picture the
black
car is real. The biggest differences are the missing self shadows inside the headlight, the lack of that rainbow effect and also the lack of self reflections. Hopefully they'll be able to do all of those things in GT7. (I think DC already does all of that)
I was leaning towards the black one, mainly for the rainbow effect.

adelante

shadows actually never look like that. only shadows from the car are soft. the environment shadows all seem to be ps3 style PCF shadows. its even worse in motion too. these static images are doing it a lot of favors.

Woah

I think DriveClub has the best graphics in a racer by far, but wtf is that about shadows never actually being sharp? I edit photos as part of my job so what you just said sir, baffle me. Lmao

psn

This. How's Project Cars' mod support BTW? I know with oculus it's next level stuff but as far as community mods how is it?

No car mods, no track mods, no mod support in general. You are allowed to change liveries though. I think they want to sell some DLC. It's a bit disappointing tbh because PCars has a small car list imo, Assetto Corsa has great mod support for example.

Just want to add one thing:
When I race in Driveclub, it always looks great. I can't say the same about PCars. It looks good at a definite time of the day. But most of the time it looks good but not great. And that's mostly because of the lighting.

Woah

I think DriveClub has the best graphics in a racer by far, but wtf is that about shadows never actually being sharp? I edit photos as part of my job so what you just said sir, baffle me. Lmao

look at the areas i circled in red, and provide me with a photo of a tree in real life casting a shadow like that

1lgq0s.jpg

Corine

look at the areas i circled in red, and provide me with a photo of a tree in real life casting a shadow like that

1lgq0s.jpg

hehe go type in "tree shadows" into google and you'll find hundreds of pictures like that. Took me seconds to see pic after pic of exactly the same thing. Really shows how realistic these guys have made Project Cars. Kudos to them.

Top Bottom