• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

ICPEE

I think it's still the best looking sim racer. It doesn't have that gamey look as the others. PD's engine and lighting system is glorious.
What has me more excited is that PD stated that the PS3 has held them back in their vision of what GT should be. I'm excited to see just what that is.

thelastword

Banned
GT6
pCars
rtnccafdxv.png
This is one area they need to improve in PCars, some of the texture work is just awful. Hope they improve it for PCars2.

Shaneus

They all have, but none have ever felt right besides PGR4, despite that being an arcade racer. The track would basically become flooded and your car could catch onto big puddles and throw you off.
Oh god yes. I can't believe I still haven't played a game where you could feel the car dip and wrestle a little when you hit a decent body of water. To be honest, I'm surprised DC doesn't do that... at least as well as PGR4 did.

thelastword

Banned
Something's gotta give. Speaking of, I'm wondering what compromises PD will take to deliver us their usual ambitious visuals.
To me, this is one area where the consoles should do very well, both machines have 8Gb of ram, well less so minus the OS footprint. 5-6Gb is mighty plenty though and many miles better than the 512Mb of ram last gen, or even less on the PS3. I don't think we should be seeing PS2 like texture compromises on these consoles in any circumstance tbf.

I do hope that Polyphony sets the standard for racing visuals, I have no doubt they will do it, considering what they were able to do with the PS3. I don't expect these type of inconsistencies in GT7 tbh. The split memory pool, slimmer bandwidth and lack of ram kept them back on the PS3 in many ways.

EGM1966

I'm guessing you mean GT? In which case I'd say no, probably TLoU now.
TLOU has one entry thus far and one DLC expansion and has total units sold way behind the six installments of GT - how is TLOU suddenly the bigger franchise (or even a franchise? Until they announce a follow up it's currently a one entry series).

The biggest selling GT was around 14 million units IIRC so if you mean biggest selling single game you're probably wrong there too. Also technically Uncharted is currently a much bigger franchise than TLOU and one that's better set to challenge GT if U4 sells gangbusters (which it probably is)

As a first party franchise GT remains the biggest for Sony. Whether it remains thus will depend a lot of GT7. GT6 didn't catch hold and was launched with very bad timing as it turned out so they need a big installment with GT7.

I didn't really think my post would need much explaining but hey ho.

Of course GT overall life time sales are bigger given it's got a 20 year history (and universal attraction of cars).

The point I was (trying) to make is that TLoU is Sony's biggest game of last gen. It has sold more than any other single game and whipped GT6 sales wise (with the sales on the down since GT4 - although we know the sim market is shrinking/shrunk) AFAIK.

The point I was (trying) to make is that TLoU is Sony's biggest game of last gen. It has sold more than any other single game and whipped GT6 sales wise (with the sales on the down since GT4 - although we know the sim market is shrinking/shrunk) AFAIK.

But it didn't. As of Polyphony's last site update GT5 was at 10.6m. Even if you combined TLoU and TLoU:R's sales, it would only put it at 8m. That's Sony's best selling game last gen.

I can't think of a racer that has wet weather affect the handling realistically. In my experience with GT5, FH2, and DC the rain seems to just universally lower the grip on the tires. Hitting puddles doesn't appear to make a difference when it should cause hydroplaning/reduce the speed of the tire(s) pretty suddenly.

GT5 and 6 both have aquaplaning when you enable real grip.

GT Sport will better Driveclub's visuals and weather effects. The clouds, fog and lightning effects we've already seen in various GT6 trailers... it won't even be close.

Jamesways

Kicking the dust off this thread.

I'm excited to see some Fm6 pics in here soon.

Meanwhile, pCARS on ps4 doesn't look horrible...
Yep, still impressed. But I'm easily impressed, racing games look so good this gen.

20129898590_34564f03b7_o.jpg

20257230895_a4dc1f3a4e_o.jpg

20263106051_e6a4950a2b_o.jpg

Shaneus

That doesn't look all that bad to me, but does the track really look like that IRL? Looks more like carpet than asphalt.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
What is it with current gens racing games? None of them look that good to me. Forza 5, Forza 6, Horizon 2 and DriveClub. None of them are anything special when you're actually playing them.

So disappointing.

nib95

Banned
What is it with current gens racing games? None of them look that good to me. Forza 5, Forza 6, Horizon 2 and DriveClub. None of them are anything special when you're actually playing them.

So disappointing.

Driveclub blows my mind every time I play it lol. So I'm going to have to disagree there. It's the only racer that consistently gives me that near photo realistic feeling and look whilst actually racing.

Driveclub blows my mind every time I play it lol. So I'm going to have to disagree there. It's the only racer that consistently gives me that near photo realistic feeling and look whilst actually racing.

Yeah have to say that DC still amazes me with the lighting when playing it, probably my best driving experience which was previously GT5 in 3D in the rain!

etta

my hard graphic balls
I actually thought it looked significantly better than 5. It looks smoother while driving, and the new environment models and textures help a bunch. I think the baked lighting has received an overhaul as well, it looks nicer. Though some trees on Lime Rock are ugly as fuck.

Hoo-doo

Banned

So disappointing.

I regularly boot up Driveclub just to experience the goddamn mindblowing visuals. Just a few hot laps in the rain make me feel giddy like no other racer can.

So disappointing.

Driveclub is one of the most jaw dropping games I have ever seen this gen so have to disagree there. The weather in FM6 looks fantastic as well.

So disappointing.

I agreed with you until you said DriveClub.

DriveClub is simply amazing looking. Everytime i play, i'm blown away by it's graphics, car models and lighting. And that weather patch... It's just unreal.

While i love Forza games, graphics wise they don't really compare. I know it's 60fps and all that but still, even compared to Forza 5, Gran Turismo 6 on PS3 is still amazing and looks more real sometimes. But, i prefer Forza gameplay, which is the most imporant.

Noobcraft

If there's one thing Forza 6 nailed it's feedback. The sense of speed in the Indycar is more intense than anything I've played before in any series, and driving through puddles feels authentic. Indycar races are so intense actually that the "Xbox record that" feature doesn't do a good job with the image compression.

The reflections on the car body are only ok (the game could seriously use an overhaul here). The lighting on daytime tracks is just ok. The reflections on the actual track surface are excellent, and the lighting during rain looks excellent.

Overall it's a definite step up over Forza 5, but there is still room for improvement. A step up in reflection quality on the cars would go a long way.

Short clip of a standard race:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mr Noobcraft/video/8415814

Short clip of an Indycar race:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mr Noobcraft/video/8444526

etta

my hard graphic balls
The reflections on the car body are only ok (the game could seriously use an overhaul here). The lighting on daytime tracks is just ok. The reflections on the actual track surface are excellent, and the lighting during rain looks excellent.

I dunno mang, I quite like the lighting.

Start Race screen:
MeLC5hn.png

fKqE91U.png

7qPQ4yt.png

6Ftphgd.png

VJgx2ag.png

soJuayZ.png

Trup1aya

So disappointing.

Can you explain what you are expecting?

I think drive club looks amazing visually, Forza 6 at 60fps is stunning, Forza horizon 2 is probably the most fun I've ever had with a racing game ever...

Kill3r7

From the GT6 thread, courtesy of SunhiLegend:

gtbsr6pqa.gif

gtlqzs5g.gif

gtl2d8sbi.gif

Keep dreaming, FM6. Keep dreaming, Project CARS.

I fully expect GT7 to be the high point of racing graphics/performance this gen but to be fair those gifs are slightly misleading since they are from replay videos. Not saying that GT6 is not gorgeous because it definitely is.

FM6

tire_walls01cpked.gif

etta

my hard graphic balls
It has moments. Once photomode is out I think there will be some amazing pictures.
screenshot-original-1qrp2e.png

Yea, photo mode upgrades car models only, right? And adds some post processing effects, but the lighting isn't modified or enhanced, right?

Noobcraft

Awesome shot.

I took a took a ton from the demo, but only like 6 showed up.

Sucks, had some great ones.
Did you take the Corvette around Sebring at all? I expected like 100 pictures of it from you lol.
Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Yea, photo mode upgrades car models only, right? And adds some post processing effects, but the lighting isn't modified or enhanced, right?
In Forza 5 it boosts car polys, antialiases the image, and (I think?) softens shadows slightly. So almost the exact same treatment Driveclub and Forza Horizon 2 give their photomodes.

After over 9 months since it's original launch, Driveclub has never ceased to amaze me visually when I am actually playing it! The game not only captures the sense of speed and excitement while driving from cockpit view, but captures breathtaking photo-realistic detail based on real world locations!

benzy

I fully expect GT7 to be the high point of racing graphics/performance this gen but to be fair those gifs are slightly misleading since they are from replay videos. Not saying that GT6 is not gorgeous because it definitely is.

Replay graphics are the same as gameplay though.

ppidbgunpa.png

jjboxycybj.png

Noobcraft

I expect GT7 to be the best looking racer this gen, but I don't trust Polyphony to deliver consistent performance. Their lighting engine is amazing, and some of the most photorealistic game shots I've ever seen came out of GT6.

Top Bottom