• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Apologies, Opel isn't a thing in the US and I can't say I've ever driven one in a game lol.

Also sorry for the Forza pic loading so slowly. In the future I'll host them at abload as usual.

Alternative to Vauxhall's outside the UK usually. Both brands of car are owned by GM (General Motors) so look pretty much identical with same car name. Vauxhall/Opel Corsa for example.

Skyzard

Banned
Looking forward to the new rain gifs in this thread that we'll get from forza. Not expecting driveclub rain though. Bastards need to make that a standard.

benzy

Seems like Gt6 comes out on top for accuracy, not surprising considering how much time Kaz spends on the ring, he probably pressured his employees to get it as close as possible.
Maybe someone can take a pic in Assetto Corsa too?

xzfqzm.jpg

bncsbw.jpg

VanWinkle

I'd love to see what Driveclub runs at unlocked. I doubt I would want to use it since it would fluctuate, but you HAVE to imagine that dry races would be around 60fps.

Sp33Demon

I'd love to see what Driveclub runs at unlocked. I doubt I would want to use it since it would fluctuate, but you HAVE to imagine that dry races would be around 60fps.

It looks cool but not revolutionary. If you are wondering what the hell I am talking about, my downstairs TV is 240Hz and my kids (who are the only ones who play on that set) never switch it from interpolation mode. It looks crazy smooth (like all games they play on that set) but doesn't fundamentally change the way the game plays.

VanWinkle

It looks cool but not revolutionary. If you are wondering what the hell I am talking about, my downstairs TV is 240Hz and my kids (who are the only ones who play on that set) never switch it from interpolation mode. It looks crazy smooth (like all games they play on that set) but doesn't fundamentally change the way the game plays.

Well, yeah, I just mean in a technical way I'd like to know what it's running at in different conditions (dry, rain, snow, storm, etc.), since it doesn't drop a single frame even in the most intense of storms.

Can we please upload pics to imgur or flickr? Abload.de and the Forza website are slow and they don't let you keep the pic in cache (at least not in Firefox).

welp, new page. Sorry, I got nothing.

There is a good reason why imgur is banned in the PC screenshot thread. Horrible compression, no place here. Not sure about flickr either...

Gestault

There is a good reason why imgur is banned in the PC screenshot thread. Horrible compression, no place here. Not sure about flickr either...

Cubeupload.com doesn't add any compression and doesn't even require a log-in if you don't want to. Also, both mobile and browser-friendly.

Caddle

Its funny years back when kaz said if the Sim isn't running at 60 fps its not a Sim. Yet he release 2 games in the series with bad performance, and unlocked damage modeling, while this nut is running around acting like Xanadu.

benzy

Its funny years back when kaz said if the Sim isn't running at 60 fps its not a Sim. Yet he release 2 games in the series with bad performance, and unlocked damage modeling, while this nut is running around acting like Xanadu.

You're mixing that up with Dan Greenawalt.

FM5 is by far the worst looking racing game on current gen consoles. I'm not talking about the cars or the tracks, I'm not even talking about the cardboards. I just really hate the lighting in Forza games. It doesn't look realistic at all and I don't expect the sixth FM game to change that.

I prefer the visuals of PCars, even at 900p. The game simply looks more like the real thing.

Grassy

The track surrounding and lighting is nowhere close reality.

We've even had aussies come here and say that FM5 looks nothing like the real thing.

I'm an Aussie. I've been to Bathurst. I've driven the track. It seems like Turn 10 went for an early morning/sunrise setting and if they modelled the track in summer here, then there's a fair chance it would have been dry as fuck and not as green as it sometimes appears on TV. Not saying it would have looked identical to how it does, but it's not "nowhere close to reality" as you put it... The surrounding in the GT6 picture are actually too green, if we're talking about real-world accuracy...

bathurst9cqy9.jpg

8448091627_28a8fca7b0v7sp2.jpg

circuit-breaker-mt-pakps40.jpg

05052012632_1_1f8skf.jpg

Just built a high end PC, running pCars at the absolute best settings. Driveclub beats it in almost every way outside IQ and framerate.

ShamePain

Banned
I'm an Aussie. I've been to Bathurst. I've driven the track. It seems like Turn 10 went for an early morning/sunrise setting and if they modelled the track in summer here, then there's a fair chance it would have been dry as fuck and not as green as it sometimes appears on TV. Not saying it would have looked identical to how it does, but it's not "nowhere close to reality" as you put it... The surrounding in the GT6 picture are actually too green, if we're talking about real-world accuracy...

Even in your pics it doesn't look like a nuclear wasteland which it does in Forza. Somehow other devs manage to capture it at the right time to look like TV footage but Forza can't? I'm hoping it was the result of launch rush and it will be fixed in FM6.

magawolaz

No imgur. Not ever, since it recompresses the images.
Compression on imgur is minimal since they revamped the website last year, removing the file size limit and reducing compression
I think it's enough for what we need in this thread.

Cubeupload.com sounds good as well

Grassy

Even in your pics it doesn't look like a nuclear wasteland which it does in Forza. Somehow other devs manage to capture it at the right time to look like TV footage but Forza can't? I'm hoping it was the result of launch rush and it will be fixed in FM6.

Well that obviously wasn't the look they were going for. They probably went with the early morning/sunrise time of day to break it up a bit so not every track was either overcast or in the middle of the day. There's nothing to "fix". You seem to think it has to look like TV footage or GT6, but it simply doesn't.

Here's a shot of what Bathurst actually looked like when it was being scanned:

isite8800ywsm4.jpg

Sayad

Well that obviously wasn't the look they were going for. They probably went with the early morning/sunrise time of day to break it up a bit so not every track was either overcast or in the middle of the day. There's nothing to "fix". You seem to think it has to look like TV footage or GT6, but it simply doesn't.

Here's a shot of what Bathurst actually looked like when it was being scanned:

isite8800ywsm4.jpg
And here's how it looks in the game:
Are you sure there's nothing to "fix"?!

leeh

For a laserscanned track it sure is full of inaccuracies.
Real:
116228225.jpg

PCars:
3aws1s.png

FM5:
GetPhoto.ashx

Notice how the rumble strip on the right is lacking the square patter thingy in forza.
Just seen this, and from the poster below, that picture in FM5 looks more like the real thing. Although, you're just looking at the visuals, have you seen in PCars how the line of the track is slightly off and seems to bend to the right while it's actually straight? Whereas in FM5, it looks spot on. Laser scanning!

jett

D-Member
Just got to get the right time setting, the colors and lighting can be almost spot on in GT6.

koqjqp.gif

Source?

I don't believe Yamauchi referenced Forza or Turn 10 directly, but one time several years ago he said something like "if your game isn't running at 60fps it isn't a real game." I don't think it had anything to do with Forza, framerate is very important to the guy. He actually apologized for GT5's framedrops when the game came out. I can't find the source.

On a separate comment, he did say he played Forza 3 and it didn't feel like a simulation.

benzy

I don't believe Yamauchi referenced Forza or Turn 10 directly, but one time several years ago he said something like "if your game isn't running at 60fps it isn't a real game." I don't think it had anything to do with Forza, framerate is very important to the guy. He actually apologized for GT5's framedrops when the game came out. I can't find the source.

On a separate comment, he did say he played Forza 3 and it didn't feel like a simulation.

Ah, ok. I remember Dan saying the exact the same thing as well. lol.

ShamePain

Banned

I suppose GT5/6 aren't real games then ;) And to be fair Forza has improved leaps and bounds in terms of physics since FM3, I wonder what would Yamauchi say if he tried modern sims like AC and PC too.

benzy

I suppose GT5/6 aren't real games then ;) And to be fair Forza has improved leaps and bounds in terms of physics since FM3, I wonder what would Yamauchi say if he tried modern sims like AC and PC too.

The Forza comment was probably just trading blows with Dan when Greenawalt talked down about GT earlier that year at e3 2009.
http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/f...uchi_hasnt_done_anything_for_me_in_years.html

Lately Kaz has much nicer things to say.
“We always respect our competition,” Mr. Yamauchi said in regards to Forza, “the racing genre isn’t really that big in its entirety, so I’m glad that everyone works hard to boost the genre as a whole.”

benzy

None really, I just got CFW so now I can get in-game GT6 shots and tried to make a comparison before new racing game reveals next week, in which case the thread will be dead until Forza 6 and NFS releases and all we have in the meantime are PR shots. :p

c0de

None really, I just got CFW so now I can get in-game GT6 shots and tried to make a comparison before new racing game reveals next week, in which case the thread will be dead until Forza 6 and NFS releases and all we have in the meantime are PR shots. :p

Tried to make comparisons... Yeah, that's how it looks ;-) and already downplaying shots we might get? Guess of more of these posts will come up, I'm done with this thread.

benzy

Why are you already saying that shots we might get are only pr shots? For Forza it was already said the game will be playable.

Didn't realize it was playable. If GT7 gets unveiled I think all we're really getting are PR shots and a trailer. Anyway, all of this pre-release stuff isn't as fun as getting our own high-quality grabs to do direct track location comparisons.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Forza 6 won't because it'll be running at 60fps. Frankly, I don't really care how the rain looks as long as it's fitting and actually affects handling.

Has there ever been a racing game where rain doesn't affect handling? Also, the video was more about atmospheric simulation than just rain.

Noobcraft

Has there ever been a racing game where rain doesn't affect handling? Also, the video was more about atmospheric simulation than just rain.
I can't think of a racer that has wet weather affect the handling realistically. In my experience with GT5, FH2, and DC the rain seems to just universally lower the grip on the tires. Hitting puddles doesn't appear to make a difference when it should cause hydroplaning/reduce the speed of the tire(s) pretty suddenly.

They all have, but none have ever felt right besides PGR4, despite that being an arcade racer. The track would basically become flooded and your car could catch onto big puddles and throw you off.

FordGTGuy

Banned
The Forza comment was probably just trading blows with Dan when Greenawalt talked down about GT earlier that year at e3 2009.
http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/f...uchi_hasnt_done_anything_for_me_in_years.html

He probably doesn’t see it that way, but I do, because I believe that I’m now taking what he ignited in me as a passion, and taking it to a much, much, much broader level.

In the second sentence, Dan has always been respectful to PD but you have to admit that Gran Turismo has become a stagnate series. Honestly FM is starting to also, hopefully that changes with Forza 6.

Top Bottom