• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

benzy

I expect GT7 to be the best looking racer this gen, but I don't trust Polyphony to deliver consistent performance. Their lighting engine is amazing, and some of the most photorealistic game shots I've ever seen came out of GT6.

I think they were just trying to push too much and Sony was initially touting PS3 can do 1080p games and putting on pressure, people would have been fine with these graphics at 720p. GT1-4 had extremely stable framerates. I'm more concerned about them not upgrading the standard cars and fully remaking old fantasy tracks lol.

I dunno mang, I quite like the lighting.

Start Race screen:
MeLC5hn.png

That first screen looks like i'm about to start a Cruis'N USA track. I really don't like the lighting in FM either I think it ends up making the car models less impressive than they actually are because they almost look plastic at times.

Kill3r7

Replay graphics are the same as gameplay though.

ppidbgunpa.png

jjboxycybj.png

Sure but from completely different camera angles. Look the game is absolutely gorgeous especially when you consider that it runs on a last gen console, PD are gods, but the gifs are not a true representation of what you see while you are racing. The gameplay video is fairly different. The same principle applies to screenshots. That was my point.

I expect GT7 to be the best looking racer this gen, but I don't trust Polyphony to deliver consistent performance. Their lighting engine is amazing, and some of the most photorealistic game shots I've ever seen came out of GT6.

Well, they'll be back to having a balanced console to work with again. Kaz did an interview around a couple of months before GT6's launch and talked about how difficult it was to work with the PS3 because of how poorly balanced it was. And even went into the fact that visually they could do things on the PS2 that they couldn't on the PS3 (like the heat haze effect). So the PS4 will finally let them show what they can do without constantly fighting with the hardware they're working with.

Kill3r7

That first screen looks like i'm about to start a Cruis'N USA track. I really don't like the lighting in FM either I think it ends up making the car models less impressive than they actually are because they almost look plastic at times.

Agreed. Rio is way too colorful. My favorite track so far from the demo was Sebring. I think the rain was a big factor.

benzy

Sure but from completely different camera angles. Look the game is absolutely gorgeous especially when you consider that it runs on a last gen console, PD are gods, but the gifs are not a true representation of what you see while you are racing. The gameplay video is fairly different. The same principle applies to screenshots. That was my point.

I'm still not getting what you're saying friend. Here's a comparison of a similar camera angle, the gameplay and replay looks the same. I posted screenshots because you can view them in full 1080p with graphical artifacts.

hefdkrksvr.png

gbfrnwssic.png

Kill3r7

I'm still not getting what you're saying friend. Here's a comparison of a similar camera angle, the gameplay and replay looks the same. I posted screenshots because you can view them in full 1080p with graphical artifacts.

hefdkrksvr.png

gbfrnwssic.png

The game does not look like that while you are driving/playing. I don't know how else to say it. Here are some shots lifted from DF.

1920x-1

1920x-1

1920x-1

1920x-1

1920x-1

benzy

The game does not look like that while you are driving/playing. I don't know how else to say it. Here are some shots lifted from DF.

1920x-1

1920x-1

1920x-1

1920x-1

1920x-1

My first shot of the s2000 is while playing/driving, just showing the reverse view to see the front of the car.

Those DF pics are of different tracks, different lighting condition, they're not even showing the tracks with dynamic lighting. These are my gameplay captures while playing.

prdtbxnrhh.png

ggyvdywqmt.png

fclvosdowy.png

cxqcjmfqkn.png

icajajtruv.png

hkgqigmvxc.png

jjboxycybj.png

Noobcraft

Yeah. I only notice the ones on the trees when playing though, they take a hit pretty bad. The desert shrubs actually look pretty good when playing.
Hopefully they'll tease GT7 some time soon. With better textures and more detailed environments the game should look ridiculously good.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
well FM6 is definitely not much of a looker, but it's also running at a completely locked 60fps, so i guess compromises have to be made.

So its all dynamic? Does the skybox rely on the weather system such that it may look different each time at sunset depending on atmospheric conditions?

From the longitude/latitude of the track, the sunrise/sundown hours at the 2013 Le Mans 24 hours, Nürburgring 24 hour race, and the Goodwood Festival of Speed are represented accurately. The environmental changes that happen seamlessly according to the passage of time during gameplay is no longer just a recreation of a track, it’s the simulation of the earth itself.

In Gran Turismo 5, you could set the time for a track. From Gran Turismo 6, the positions of the stars are also accurately recreated.

On night tracks you can enjoy a simulated night sky with accurate positions of the stars and constellations. You can watch the passage of time, with the moon and stars moving across the night sky as you would see in real life.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt6/tracks/

Yiazmat

benzy

So its all dynamic? Does the skybox rely on the weather system such that it may look different each time at sunset depending on atmospheric conditions?

It's dynamic in that you can have a clear sky and then the clouds will slowly fade in throughout the race if you have the weather setting turned above 0; but if it starts raining then the clouds disappear and the sky is just overcast lighting. However, the cloud skybox looks to appear in a loop, so it seems to be the same clouds appearing at sunset if the clouds do appear at that time. So you can either see the same clouds appearing at that specific time, or you can have a clear sky with no clouds either in sunny or overcast lighting. My ps3 data got corrupted and I don't even have the game installed right now to do another timelapse of weather, but here are some old gifs showing the 3 types of sky condition. Sunny clear - Partly cloudy - Overcast.

oaholwzvjb.gif

lobjnwhuyc.gif

bkzcamsnci.gif

Edit: Beatin, just check out Yiazmat's videos lol.

Majanew

Banned
Aliasing and lighting are still sore spots to Forza's visuals in FM6. I appreciate the focus on performance being most important, but playing the FM6 demo left me a little disappointed in the graphics. It looked best at night and in the rain. I really like that they were able to have your headlights cast shadows of the cars on the environment. Nice touch that I liked in DC.

I was also expecting the 3D puddles in FM6 to not just be completely flat with just a reflective texture. I was hoping the water would move when drove through.

Shaneus

Funnily enough, that was exactly what my brother said when I showed him Autovista in FM4. And it was me suggesting to him how amazing it looks. I think this sums it up perfectly.

Edit: Case in point, this photo:
It has moments. Once photomode is out I think there will be some amazing pictures.
screenshot-original-1qrp2e.png
Just looks like it's raytraced from the 90s/early 2000s to me.

Side question: what do the crowds look like this time? I saw them blurry in some shots in the other thread, but curious to see if they kept similar models.

Also, can anyone tell me if the wheels blur during replays? Not in photo mode but actual replays themselves (or an outside view of the car where you can see the wheels)... DC doesn't do this (even though it did in the original trailers) and I find it takes away from the realism if they don't blur.

Same engine, same hardware - what were you expecting?
I think with an extra little bit of dev time over FM5 (which was obviously rushed for XBO launch) there'd be a significant change. Maybe there wasn't a change so much, just an addition of features like weather and night racing.

Yeah have to say that DC still amazes me with the lighting when playing it, probably my best driving experience which was previously GT5 in 3D in the rain!
Yup. It's not always looking realistic, but every so often I catch myself thinking it's real. Racing with bumper cam continually gives me feelings like I'm in an interactive version of Rendez Vous. Only other game to give me that feeling is PGR4.
Which is why I want city racing in DC.

Afrikan

It's dynamic in that you can have a clear sky and then the clouds will slowly fade in throughout the race if you have the weather setting turned above 0; but if it starts raining then the clouds disappear and the sky is just overcast lighting. However, the cloud skybox looks to appear in a loop, so it seems to be the same clouds appearing at sunset if the clouds do appear at that time. So you can either see the same clouds appearing at that specific time, or you can have a clear sky with no clouds either in sunny or overcast lighting. My ps3 data got corrupted and I don't even have the game installed right now to do another timelapse of weather, but here are some old gifs showing the 3 types of sky condition. Sunny clear - Partly cloudy - Overcast.

oaholwzvjb.gif

lobjnwhuyc.gif

bkzcamsnci.gif

WHOA what where when?

if that PS3 balancing issue is true...
GT7 is going to put every type of videogame to shame.

Funnily enough, that was exactly what my brother said when I showed him Autovista in FM4. And it was me suggesting to him how amazing it looks. I think this sums it up perfectly.

Edit: Case in point, this photo:

Just looks like it's raytraced from the 90s/early 2000s to me.

Side question: what do the crowds look like this time? I saw them blurry in some shots in the other thread, but curious to see if they kept similar models.

Also, can anyone tell me if the wheels blur during replays? Not in photo mode but actual replays themselves (or an outside view of the car where you can see the wheels)... DC doesn't do this (even though it did in the original trailers) and I find it takes away from the realism if they don't blur.

I think with an extra little bit of dev time over FM5 (which was obviously rushed for XBO launch) there'd be a significant change. Maybe there wasn't a change so much, just an addition of features like weather and night racing.

Yup. It's not always looking realistic, but every so often I catch myself thinking it's real. Racing with bumper cam continually gives me feelings like I'm in an interactive version of Rendez Vous. Only other game to give me that feeling is PGR4.
Which is why I want city racing in DC.
Every time I mention the blur to them on twitter, I always get ignored.

WHOA what where when?

if that PS3 balancing issue is true...
GT7 is going to put every type of videogame to shame.

Yamauchi: Should I start with the first one, then? [Laughs] Back in the days of the PlayStation, the development device was about the size of a refrigerator. I created the first demo on that machine. I did the modeling by myself. I made a demo where an F1 car would drive around an oval track with flat shading — no textures. But the result was really kind of stunning. I never thought that I’d see the day when we could make games with 3D graphics. Of course, back then, I used to tinker with PCs and make games there as well, but I never thought there would come a day when these 3D models could run at 30 frames per second. That was a major surprise for me, when the first PlayStation came out.

When the [PlayStation 2] came out, one unique characteristic of that system was that the screen fill rate was very fast. Even looking back now, it’s very fast. In some cases, it’s faster than the PS3. There, we were able to use a lot of textures. It was able to do that read-modify-write, where it reads the screen, you take the screenshot, and you modify it and send it back. It could do that very quickly.

I don’t know if anybody remembers, but when the PS2 first came out, the first thing I did on that was a demo for the announcement. I showed a demo of GT3 that showed the Seattle course at sunset with the heat rising off the ground and shimmering. You can’t re-create that heat haze effect on the PS3 because the read-modify-write just isn’t as fast as when we were using the PS2. There are things like that. Another reason is because of the transition to full HD.

The PS3 was a combination of a poor GPU with an SPU that’s really fast if you use it right. It’s not a very well-balanced machine. It’s hard to use the hardware properly. That’s one reason why it took us five years to develop GT5. Using the SPU properly, though, that in itself is really interesting. On the PS3, in the demo, we showed the adaptive tessellation. That’s the kind of technology that you normally wouldn’t be able to do unless you were on the PS4-generation of machines. When you optimize the use of the SPU properly, you can do that even on the PS3.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/14/h...ori-yamauchi-design-gran-turismo-6-interview/

ViciousDS

Banned

oaholwzvjb.gif

lobjnwhuyc.gif

bkzcamsnci.gif

Wait a sec, this is GT6? Holy balls.....GT7 is going to explode brains isn't it?

Also those F6 replays look really nice. That 50% car increase really shows and looks great

Driveclub doesn't have hydroplaning or any water interaction of that nature. So...huh?

Yeah, driving wise Driveclub is basically the same game when it's raining. The most harmful effect of the rain is actually the obscured vision, not the lack of grip. Forza does it way better.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yeah, driving wise Driveclub is basically the same game when it's raining. The most harmful effect of the rain is actually the obscured vision, not the lack of grip. Forza does it way better.
That reminds me how ridiculously hard it is to see the road in DC when it's raining? I am having a much easier time seeing the road in FM6 when it's raining. Props to T10 for prioritizing visibility over overusage of effects.

Niks

The fact that they put the effort they did into the environments along with the cars, helps DC in looking so bloody good.

Exactly.
Thats why even though Polyphony are wizards, I really doubt they will top DC visuals.
GT car models and lighting are still a benchmark, but most of their tracks would need a TON of work to catch up to DC standards.

Crayon

Wait a sec, this is GT6? Holy balls.....GT7 is going to explode brains isn't it?

I kno. If gt7 doesn't wipe the floor with everything else graphics wise, I'll be disappointed.

Altho I'll take the gt6 graphics all over again if it means morpheus support. All day.

Makki

Driveclub doesn't have hydroplaning or any water interaction of that nature. So...huh?

From what I'm reading in the official forums, Forza's puddles do not interact with the wheels, you glide over them every time. Even cones float on top of the "puddle". It's more akin to black ice, so really, what is the point of a "3D puddle" besides an obnoxious loss in steering like you always hydroplane...

Top Bottom